A frequently asked question by newcomers is where to buy Pirate LEGO.

So this thread will be a definitive list for all those who ask - rather than having individual threads for each query.

eBay

Amazon.com

LEGO Shop

BrickLink

Eurobricks Buy, Sell, Trade and Finds Forum

Custom

Brick Arms

The Little Arms Shops

BrickForge

BaronSat

Original Post

Hey all. I used to be really into pirates back in it's heyday (early 90's) and I still have my Black Seas Barracuda :) Recently I've been getting into Lego Pirates again, and been hunting on Bricklink and eBay for the last 2 weeks. So far, I picked up a Skulls Eye Schooner (complete, excellenct condition) from Bricklink for $140 and I also got a Lagoon Lock-Up on eBay for $15.00. I think I got a pretty good deal, what do you guys think? *pirate*

Hey all. I used to be really into pirates back in it's heyday (early 90's) and I still have my Black Seas Barracuda :) Recently I've been getting into Lego Pirates again, and been hunting on Bricklink and eBay for the last 2 weeks. So far, I picked up a Skulls Eye Schooner (complete, excellenct condition) from Bricklink for $140 and I also got a Lagoon Lock-Up on eBay for $15.00. I think I got a pretty good deal, what do you guys think? *pirate*

If you got a good condition box for the SES, then you did well. Othewise, so so. Besides, what did shipping cost. That's part of the price.

Welcome to Eurobricks Mr. Smee. No doubt Mr. Phes will soon be taking you under his wing.

Hey all. I used to be really into pirates back in it's heyday (early 90's) and I still have my Black Seas Barracuda :)

Welcome aboard laddie! You've come to the right place! Once again you become become really into pirates amongst those who share the same interest.

Now lets take a look at your query...

Recently I've been getting into Lego Pirates again, and been hunting on Bricklink and eBay for the last 2 weeks. So far, I picked up a Skulls Eye Schooner (complete, excellenct condition) from Bricklink for $140

Skulls Eye Schooners aren't usually cheap, especially if they're in good condition. Did yous come with a box and instructions? A box in particular can add another US$20-$50 to this particular set.

and I also got a Lagoon Lock-Up on eBay for $15.00. I think I got a pretty good deal, what do you guys think?

What of the Lagoon Lockup? What condition were the pieces in? Was it complete? Did it come with box and instructions.

Hey all. I used to be really into pirates back in it's heyday (early 90's) and I still have my Black Seas Barracuda :)

Welcome aboard laddie! You've come to the right place! Once again you become become really into pirates amongst those who share the same interest.

Now lets take a look at your query...

Recently I've been getting into Lego Pirates again, and been hunting on Bricklink and eBay for the last 2 weeks. So far, I picked up a Skulls Eye Schooner (complete, excellenct condition) from Bricklink for $140

Skulls Eye Schooners aren't usually cheap, especially if they're in good condition. Did yous come with a box and instructions? A box in particular can add another US$20-$50 to this particular set.

and I also got a Lagoon Lock-Up on eBay for $15.00. I think I got a pretty good deal, what do you guys think?

What of the Lagoon Lockup? What condition were the pieces in? Was it complete? Did it come with box and instructions.

For the Skulls Eye Schooner, no box or instructions. The ship itself is in A+ condition though. As for the Lagoon Lockup, from the pictures it looks to be in good condition and be complete. It came with the instructions, no box. Thanks so much for the welcome *pirate*

I'd say $140 is a reasonable price for a Skulls Eye Schooner in A+ condition with no box or instructions. $15 is also a reasonable price for a Lagoon Lockup in good condition with instructions but no box. So in general you've got good deals, of course if you meticulously search BrickLink and eBay every day you'll probably get lucky and find an exceptional deal.

Do you plan on getting anymore Pirate sets Mr. Smee?

I'd say $140 is a reasonable price for a Skulls Eye Schooner in A+ condition with no box or instructions. $15 is also a reasonable price for a Lagoon Lockup in good condition with instructions but no box. So in general you've got good deals, of course if you meticulously search BrickLink and eBay every day you'll probably get lucky and find an exceptional deal.

Do you plan on getting anymore Pirate sets Mr. Smee?

Cool, thanks! Yes, I especially want to pick up some of the Imperial Soldiers sets, especially El Dorado Fortress and some of the other smaller sets. You gotta have someone for the Pirates to fight against ;) I also have the Caribbean Clipper in storage at my parents house, but it has been long taken apart. I believe I also have the Forbidden Island dismantled at home as well.

I'd say the price of the Black Seas Barracuda without a box has decreased slightly due to its Legend re-release in 2002. Since they're not as rare obviously they're not worth as much, however you'd probably expect the a similiar price between the original 1989 Black Seas Barracuda and Skulls of Eye Schooner in MISB.

Last I checked the 2002 Black Seas Barracuda re-release averaged US$220.

I got a SES with box and unpunched instructions for 55 Euros. That was spring 2005, shortly after I registered here. Bricks were in very good condition, box had some shelfwear but wasn't torn anywhere. Inner plastics were gone, though.

I've noticed that those pirate thingies tend to sell for a lot more in the States and down under, they're not that expensive in Europe (at least on ebay).

So, are we talking CAN$ or US$? From a European's point of view US$140 for a SES without a box or instructions is not that good a deal, CAN$ is a so-so deal...

France and Belgium seem to have the cheapest eBay prices for Pirate LEGO. But USA is still cheaper than "down under"... Down under what? The house?

France and Belgium seem to have the cheapest eBay prices for Pirate LEGO. But USA is still cheaper than "down under"... Down under what? The house?

i am astonished by the prices, i think he got an awesome deal if hes from the states... but then again i havent monitored ship prices in about 5 years... but wow you europeans have the best luck, all your legos seem to be so much cheeper! like i mentioned in a previous post i had bought a imperial flagship from a guy in britain, thats because he charged very little for shipping to the states, and his auction was something like 40-50 dollars (half as many pounds) cheeper then the next american auction... sometimes its worth getting your lego from across the pond, they even have shooting cannons! :)

i used to be into this one ebay store that would make custom ships in different colors (loosely based off of SES or BSB or CC depending on the ship) i bought a couple extended CC from them. They were cheaper then a normal CC usually, lol. I think i may go to my moms house and bring one back so i can refit it. i wish there were still stores like that on ebay... or any kind of custom lego places.

Yes Mr SkaForHire, you must bring as many Pirate LEGO sets back as you possibly can for you will find one is not enough!

We do have lot cheaper prices and there is a good reason for that : offer and demand. Today french people tend to sell all their stuff through ebay, including lego collection. But the number of afols officialy declared is 200 personns.

Since we already accumulated tonns of bricks at a decent price, we start to have no space left for anything more, and therefor, we are buying less. so the prices go down :-P

The pirate theme was highly popular here and I guess this is why we can still manage to get a lot of pirate stuff for cheap

You've mentioned this before in another thread Mr Jipay, however I must ask why does Europe differ from everywhere else in regards to people selling their LEGO collections? Doesn't that happen all over the world? 99% of all LEGO I've bought has come from eBay and 99.9% of them have been located outside of Europe.

I'm also curious about the line "But the number of afols officialy declared is 200 personns." Who delcared this and how was this figure determined?

The figure comes by the number of french AFOL from the french Lego User Group, plus the one I saw at various boards.

As for people selling their collections, I think there is a difference here with other countries : toys have an absolute zero value for the vast (99.999999) majority of french people. To them Lego is a toy and the value of this toy is decreasing with time.

How accurate is the figure though? There might be 200 French AFOLs partaking in this usergroup but there might be 500 more Frecnh AFOLs that aren't even aware it exists...

That is interesting tidbit about french culture, what do kids do if toys are not coveted as much? video games? study? lol

I am interested to hear why this phenomenom has occured.

Your theory on why prices are so much cheeper, is very interesting too! Maybe I will move to france! i guess i would have to brush up on my french though, i used to be fluent.. now i cant remember a word! :(

So as i was browsing.. (hopefully not buying) I started looking at other bidders profiles and what htey have bid on (though looking at their feedback) and i found some people who were obviously pirate fans... I was wondering what people thought of contacting other bidders on Ebay and letting them know we have a pirates community over here.

I waited until this auction was done to post it, just in case one of you are some ofthe bidders, but look at this collection that just went. I feel the 200 dollar jump at the end made these sets go for way to much, but still this person just bought a WHOLE Pirate lego collection.... perhaps we should invite them to this site? This would be a good way to get people to come to the site and build a bigger community... I think i may send some hellos to the bidders of this auction.... perhaps when you guys are browsing, and see some pirate stuff you are not going to bid on, you may want to drop a link if you find a collector and say hello from all of us over here at eurobricks pirate forum. You are chief diplomat here Mister Phes, what do you say? :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-LEGO-Pirate-Ships-Se...1QQcmdZViewItem

EDIT: I went back and tried to contact some winners of recent pirate auctions, EBAY wont really let any messages through unless you have an open transaction with that person... i dont understand why they even have the feature "contact member" since you cant do it, you have to send messages through the bidding channels that are open... its too bad, beacuse it would be good to build our community bigger... i am sure there are alot pirate AFOLers (and all other themes )out there that don't know about this site.

mainly, if we could bring more people here, then we get form more support and leverage to get the TLG to give us some more pirates! lol maybe...

on a totaly different note... maybe we need secret codes when bidding on ebay lol, i would hate to drive up prices on someone from this board on a regular basis (i know sometimes we are going to come into competition, but as a casual ebay buyer i would gladly step away from an auction i dont care too much about for friends in need.... :) but that might be just me!)

This is an interesting idea Mr SkaForHire and the thought has crossed my mind in the past but I haven't actually done it before. Quite possibly eBay would consider this to be a form of spam and since I'm an administrator at Eurobricks then perhaps it wouldn't be a good idea for me to do it. For the other users however maybe its a different story...

I've been thinking of ways to advertise this forum on eBay and one way was to get the LEGO sellers to place the Pirate Forum's promotion image on their auctions. However, as I understand it, eBay charges seller per image so we'd have to offer the sellers something in reture as an incentive to advertise on their auctions.

But back to the original idea... Someone who buys an entire collection must be a huge Pirate LEGO fan or know of someone who is, otherwise they wouldn't have made the investment. So maybe just contact that buyer and see how it goes before contacting others.

By the way... You can place our promotional image in each of your Pirate Brickshelf folders as that seems to be having success.

__discuss.jpg

Another option is to listing something pirate LEGO yourself and include a blurb about this site.

Of course that would require selling something (though it doesn't have to be pirate) to draw attention. Selling pirate LEGO obviously would be reaching your target audience.

Speaking about advertising, has anyone considered contacting lugnet and getting a banner added to the .pirate page?

Another option is to listing something pirate LEGO yourself and include a blurb about this site.

Of course that would require selling something (though it doesn't have to be pirate) to draw attention. Selling pirate LEGO obviously would be reaching your target audience.

Speaking about advertising, has anyone considered contacting lugnet and getting a banner added to the .pirate page?

yeah i thought about this, but did not want to part with pirates... besides we all know it would be one of us that bought it lol.... it would have to be an item that got alot of views like a ship or eldardo fortress... and I know none of us want to part with that.

also phes, as i edited last night, i tried to contact people but ebay doesnt allow you to make contact it seems unless you have an open transaction (though they have the option to do so, after you send it says it blocks stuff like this.... meaning my friendly message.)

Are you crazy! Me sell Pirate LEGO??? But yes, I see what you're getting at here which would cost the seller money. That's why I'd be more focused on finding an incentive to get established eBay sellers who have been selling LEGO on eBay for years to do the advertising.

I've submitted a text link to Lugnet's links section but I'm not sure what this .pirate page is - could you provide a direct link so I can have a look?

I know if someone sent me a message from the blue telling me of a big pirate Lego forum I would be thrilled to know of its existence. But I must say that it would have to be writen in such a way that I did not have suspicions of being scammed.