Sign in to follow this  
Rogue Angel

Grodvek's Farmstead

Grodvek was born in Mitgardia, but just after his first hunt, his village was razed by a rival warlord. Grodvek returned to find his family dead, his village a smoldering ruin. He knew he might not survive the harsh Mitgardia winter alone. He gathered up what little he could find, and decided to move South, to warmer, quieter hills.

Grodvek travelled for 2 years, wintering with kindly Mitgardian farmers, and even spending a month with a slumbering bear! Eventually Grodvek's wandering led him to Avalonia, where he started working as a field hand for a local Burgher - Lorvan Folsum.

After a few years of saving, Grodvek was able to purchase a small plot of land to call his own. Shortly after, he met Radka - a fellow Mitgardian immigrant who was working in the Burgher's kitchens. Grodvek tilled his small plot, growing fruits and vegetables in the fertile soil, and eventually married Radka. Their son Udvek, has seen 10 summers, and will soon be joining his father in the fields.

Grodvek's plot of land lies just North of Harvest Cross, a few miles in from the coastal waters harboring the Mystic Isles. He built his house in the traditional style of his Mitgardian ancestors - log walls and sod roof for warm winters and stifling summers.

farmstead_1.jpg

Grodvek returns home from a long day working in Burgher Folsum's fields. His son Udvek is playing with his mongrel, Kuvar.

farmstead_2.jpg

Grodvek carries his sickle and drinking horn, his daily tools for work in the fields. The Burgher made him dye his cap green, because the Burgher painted his barn green, and must like the color.

farmstead_3.jpg

Radka is checking on Udvek, and she thought she had heard Grodvek's whistling over the crackling of the hearth. The stew is almost prepared for dinner - perfect timing.

farmstead_4.jpg

Grodvek is thankful he was able to salvage seeds from his Mitgardian homeland. They have been able to sell their exotic crops (pumpkins and cabbage) at a good price. His family has not want for food these last winters.

farmstead_5.jpg

The woodpile will need some work before winter sets in, although Grodvek always stores like he's still in Mitgardia - the woodpile hasn't been bare since before Udvek was born.

farmstead_6.jpg

Grodvek considers himself rich with food, family and fire. The gods were with him when he moved to Avalonia.

(Check out my folder for high rez pics) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=491904

Edited by rogueang

Nice farm, I love how you made the cabbages from forestmen caps and green heads. The hedge effect is nice too.

I do get the following error message when I try to follow the brickshelf link though "There was an error with your input. Permissible characters are [A-Z][a-z][0-9][-][_][@][.][ ]. Please go back and try again "

Edited by MikeyB

This is very nice done! The differnt heights, the overgrown roof, the hat pieces and heads for vegetables... Really great!

The house with the snotted walls and the big rounded corners are also very nice!

Great farm ! I really like the roof and the cabbages , very original! Your background story is really nice too. I think it gives something extra to a MOC when there is a background story.

Loved the farm! The green roof is amazing - very ecologic :laugh:

The farm is very neat and well done, just loved the cultures you're getting there!

Fantastic farm!

The story and execution of you building is really well done...

So are we going to see a moc about the time he spent with the bear?

EXCELLENT! I love the "grass" roof. I really makes it look like a farm. Excellent design on the cabbage I am going to have to use that design some time...

With permission of course.

A very excellent and original farm! I love the whole foliage look to it, with the grass roof and plants. The forestman hats is such a great touch, I may have to borrow that one day. Great work Sir :thumbup: