British Frigate WIP

19/12/2011--First hull section prototype

21/12/2011--Second hull section prototype

23/12/2011--Gunport redesigned

26/12/2011--Hull design finalized

Fresh update!

6573370229_940fcb01bb_z.jpg

Hi guys :pir-sweet:

This is my first moc in real bricks. I've always been wanting to build the Surprise after watching Master and Commander, and this holiday has just given me enough time to get the ball rolling.

This ship is still in design stage. Feedbacks are much needed, thanks!

the plan

6536723703_217cbae05f_z.jpg

the design, gundeck and storage

6536726039_29cbd24638_z.jpg

6536724929_246d678f61_z.jpg

Edited by hobbes5a

This is going to be a very colorful ship, there is not much to say more now

New parts according to the colour scheme would be ordered when the design is finished. :pir-cry_happy:

A similar tumblehome technique as your Constitution, I like it. Looking at your past build my only suggestion is to try and get more curve into the gundeck. How are you planning to make all the decks accessible? Will it split apart by hull section? I'm excited to see a new frigate being built!

First let me say that it's always nice to see a ship that so many people can relate to. So get it done as soon as you can. :D

The only recommendation I would make at this point is to maybe think about designing a brick-built cannon. The Lego one is generally agreed upon to represent an 18-24 pounder whilst the Surprise historically would have carried long 9's (or long 12's if you're going off the O'Brian books). Either way, keep up the good work.

here's not much to say at this point but I don't like the inverted slopes you used on the hull midsection, they make the hull curve in an odd manner, you might want to pick a different part for that zone.

here's not much to say at this point but I don't like the inverted slopes you used on the hull midsection, they make the hull curve in an odd manner, you might want to pick a different part for that zone.

Something like captain greenhairs build a frigate?

This sounds and alraedy looks like a cool project.

Perhaps Admiral Croissant's frigate 'Vesta' might be a source of inspiration too as he based it on the HMS Surprise.

Good luck! :pir-classic:

Something like captain greenhairs build a frigate?

Yes, that could work, you'll need quite some jumpers and tiles but it will look better I think. You don't have to use the hinge plates like in Captain Greenhair's tutoral, your hinge bricks are fine too :pir-classic:

Yes, that could work, you'll need quite some jumpers and tiles but it will look better I think. You don't have to use the hinge plates like in Captain Greenhair's tutoral, your hinge bricks are fine too :pir-classic:

But i want to have spaces below deck as storage. So would this process occupy those spaces?

Thanks=]

But i want to have spaces below deck as storage. So would this process occupy those spaces?

Thanks=]

No. If you were using CGH's flat hinge method it might be a complication but as you are using hinges on the side it's no problem. Although having half-stud offsets might make it more difficult to make a deck that lifts off, but that just goes back to my earlier question about how you're planning to make these decks accessible.

No. If you were using CGH's flat hinge method it might be a complication but as you are using hinges on the side it's no problem. Although having half-stud offsets might make it more difficult to make a deck that lifts off, but that just goes back to my earlier question about how you're planning to make these decks accessible.

The floor of the gun deck is removable so I can access the storage.

I haven't think about the accessibility of the gun deck . Guess that I need to think of that now.

And what is it the technique you have in mind for reference?

Thanks.

Update!

I've changed the design of the tumbleholm with reference to Captain Greenhair's tutorial. Here are some pics.

What do you guys think?

6548873357_8f47504685_z.jpg

6548870435_6a8cb51a77_z.jpg

Looks better! This is going to be a colorful ship, I see! Just a tip: consider waiting some more time between updates, so that you can work a little bit more in your ship. Isn't a good idea to update the MOC every time you put a brick pirate_wink.gif

First let me say that it's always nice to see a ship that so many people can relate to. So get it done as soon as you can. :D

The only recommendation I would make at this point is to maybe think about designing a brick-built cannon. The Lego one is generally agreed upon to represent an 18-24 pounder whilst the Surprise historically would have carried long 9's (or long 12's if you're going off the O'Brian books). Either way, keep up the good work.

but here http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Research_Surprise_02.htm mentioned that the surprise had

Upper Deck ____ 24 Carronades 32pdr

Quarter Deck ___ 8 __________ 18pdr

Forecastle _____ 2 __________ 18pdr and 2 Guns 4pdr

So, which information is true? :pir_bawling::pir_bawling:

I hope I can help! I have read your link and what basically says is this:

Upper Deck ____24 Guns 9pdr

Quarter Deck ___8 _____ 4 " and 4 Carronades 12pdr

Forecastle _____2 _____ 4 " __ 2 _________ 12 "

Which is to say that in the Upper Deck there are 24 guns of 9pdr, 8 guns of 4pdr in the Quarter deck and 2 other guns of 4pdr in the Forecastle, totaling 34 guns. The same for carronades. Just as Foremast Jack said.

In the link you send there are other references to carronades of different quantity and power. Like 32pdr and 18pdr, with the numbers you referred. But carronades are not like normal cannons, of 18 or 24 pounders. A carronade is a cannon built specifically for close combat and were mostly used in earlier times, as the development of naval artillery led to long range battles.

Your problem is that HMS Surprise was first a french corvette called Unité, and was latter captured by the British who renamed her to Surprise. With the french the Surprise had cannons, and the British changed them to carronades. If I were you I would build cannons, but you will have to decide pirate_blush.gif

Hope this helped.

Edited by Frank Brick Wright

Thanks Skipper and Frank, those information really help clear my worries. :pir-cry_happy:

New design on gunport. Left hand side is the old desing while the right is new.

6557559349_d8714cba68_z.jpg

6557559605_cdb277429d_z.jpg

Notice that now the entire gunport window (I suddenly forgot the name for that...)could fit. (sorry for the blurry image :pir_bawling: )

6557559873_fab9085726_z.jpg

And the new long nines and swivels.

6557560137_ac4e4f2c77_z.jpg

but here http://www.jotika-ltd.com/Pages/1024768/Research_Surprise_02.htm mentioned that the surprise had

Upper Deck ____ 24 Carronades 32pdr

Quarter Deck ___ 8 __________ 18pdr

Forecastle _____ 2 __________ 18pdr and 2 Guns 4pdr

So, which information is true? :pir_bawling::pir_bawling:

It seems several great minds beat me to the punch, but your reference makes it clear that if cannons are to be employed in the build they need be 9 pounders. If carronades are to be used then those would need to be brick built as well.

However, the builder is a lot like an historical novelist, who is more than allowed to take certain liberties with history. So anything can be done. I merely want it to be clear in his or her mind that historical certainty can be found here among these numerous and knowledgeable peers.

Update on stern and gundeck after reading through the site skipper gave me. :pir-cry_happy:

6573370229_940fcb01bb_z.jpg

6573370661_365f597191_z.jpg

6573370523_7e45527ef9_z.jpg

After this update I think I would start purchasing new parts to contruct the whole hull and interior.

Merry Christmas! :pir_laugh2:

Edited by hobbes5a

Happy new year!

I've just find out that my part list was finished and I can start to get some Bricklink order going! :pir-hmpf_bad:

I think my next update will be somewhere in around 30th Jan.

Have a nice year!

It seems several great minds beat me to the punch, but your reference makes it clear that if cannons are to be employed in the build they need be 9 pounders. If carronades are to be used then those would need to be brick built as well.

However, the builder is a lot like an historical novelist, who is more than allowed to take certain liberties with history. So anything can be done. I merely want it to be clear in his or her mind that historical certainty can be found here among these numerous and knowledgeable peers.

Thanks Jack,

I finally got your idea and I will definitely work till perfection.

:pir-sweet: