Sign in to follow this  
SilentMode

Winter Village: Clothes Store

indexed.gif B-OV-21C

Updated with picture links to elsewhere. Can I take that oar out now?

I saw the completely unexpected extension as a second chance (Call of Duty style!), so rather than go out with a whimper I decided to rework the main building, which ironically was the weakest part of my entry. This time I built for myself rather than trying to win.

01.jpg

Clothes Shop / Radio Station

Release year: 2011/2012

# of parts: ~760

# of minifigs: 8

This entry is made up of some of the things I felt were missing from a rural town during winter, which could be added to a layout involving the official Winter sets. The original idea was a toss-up between a department store and a radio station... and naturally I ended up doing both.

The smaller components include a bridge over a frozen river (had to make use of the transparent 16x16 plate I'd bought at AFOLcon), and a bus shelter (which acts as the "bench" in this set).

13.jpg

A middle-aged Oriental woman sells hot creamy cocoa (thank you) from her stall. Did you notice the sprig of mistletoe? There's also a makeshift robin on top of the bus shelter.

14.jpg

A well-to-do young man and his spoiled girlfriend stop outside the clothes shop, because she's spied the most expensive dress she's ever seen: a flowing and flattering pink silk number detailed with Gustavovich jewellery, and the only one ever made. Sale price: LU 490,000 (no adjustments allowed).

32.jpg

The inside of the main building has three floors: the shop floor at the bottom, a private fitting area on the first floor (complete with approving tailor), and the local radio station at the top. The original building was extended to include the second floor, which is why it has LBG walls.

22.jpg

The small radio station, playing the best in suitable music. If they're not singing or playing an actual instrument, it doesn't go on air.

More pictures can be found in this Brickshelf folder. BrickShelf is still down...

Edited by Phred

I really like this! The interior is wonderful, the exterior and extra modules really add to the theme. The downstairs windows are really interesting, I wish there wa a close-up of them.

I just may use your hot chocolate stand idea in my Winter village Christmas display ( if hat is OK).

You've got a real shot at the contest!

What did you use for the snow on the ground?

BTW: Why is this your last contest? You do such nice work.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I really like this! The interior is wonderful, the exterior and extra modules really add to the theme. The downstairs windows are really interesting, I wish there wa a close-up of them.

I just may use your hot chocolate stand idea in my Winter village Christmas display ( if hat is OK).

You've got a real shot at the contest!

What did you use for the snow on the ground?

BTW: Why is this your last contest? You do such nice work.

Andy D

Thank you very much! You can use the cocoa stand for your display, I don't mind.

The downstairs windows were aped from the Post Office, just using different colours. (A huge shout out to ProsArch Bricks on BrickLink for the windows, filling in for a very slow order.) The snow is "The Snowman" branded artificial snow, which is really good and very convincing.

This is my last competition, mainly because there's a world of difference between building to compete and building for fun; when it comes to competitions I tend to screw up somehow. I might still play along with whatever comes up in the future.

The best part, radio station.....highly original idea 'SilentMode'....great entry - neat bus stop and that little bridge :thumbup: .....Brick On in the snow 'SilentMode' ! :classic:

Thank you very much! You can use the cocoa stand for your display, I don't mind.

The downstairs windows were aped from the Post Office, just using different colours. (A huge shout out to ProsArch Bricks on BrickLink for the windows, filling in for a very slow order.) The snow is "The Snowman" branded artificial snow, which is really good and very convincing.

This is my last competition, mainly because there's a world of difference between building to compete and building for fun; when it comes to competitions I tend to screw up somehow. I might still play along with whatever comes up in the future.

Thanks for the reply. I will build the cocoa stand soon (I just need time before Christmas).

On the snow, did you add the water, or just use the powder dry?

Thanks,

Andy D

On the snow, did you add the water, or just use the powder dry?

I added water to the powder; it's one part powder to 15 parts water, and it goes a long way.

Oh yes, thank you lightningtiger!

Edited by SilentMode

hahah I didn't now we could use real snow ;)

very nice effect though - that coco stand is brilliant! I wish I thought of it ;)

Good luck!

Really nice creation, SilentMode! For the guy in the radio station, is that the hair from this figure?

Yes it is! and thank you.

I've made a few changes to the main building; have a look at the first post.

I really like the changes! Putting the radio station on the third floor by itself was a great idea. I really like the new windows on front of the store with the "awning like" treatment, however, the new front appears less "winter villagery" than before.

I really like the new spiral staircase to the second floor.

It looks like considerable rework was required.

Overall, great changes.

Good luck with the competition!

Andy D

This was really nicely re-built. My favourite are the bay windows, they really make a nice detail. Also the bridge and the bus stop are nice additions. Good luck with the competion.

A nice addition to the Winter Village. I really like the shape and design. The coloring is much different than most winter builds, which is good since we don't want everything to look alike.

Keep up the great work!