CorneliusMurdock

New Licensed Theme Rumor Mill

Did anything happen with the rumoured Top Gear Theme? I know LEGO had built prototypes but that was about 10 months ago now, and we haven't heard anything.

Did anything happen with the rumoured Top Gear Theme? I know LEGO had built prototypes but that was about 10 months ago now, and we haven't heard anything.

I think that became the Speed Champions theme.

http://www.thebrickf...rand-new-theme/

I'm betting on Scooby Doo. It's retro and kid friendly. Plus there's going to be a new show next year, so I'd say odds are good.

Character Building has had the license for a while, but I don't think they've done anything new with it since 2013... Plus after checking their product page I see only two things are left, so it sort of looks like their license is running out.

I don't see it being Ghostbusters though, I don't think they have enough of a kid audience to support a theme.

Like Blakstone said, if it was Ghostbusters, they would probably not have put all four main characters in one set. I mean if they had plans for a full theme, they probably would've just put in Venkman and Spengler (or Stantz or Zedmore, I just think Spengler was most likely) and then announce the remaining two would be in another set to come later. I really doubt they'd just give us all the main characters all at once. That is very inconsistent with their classic marketing strategy of "split them up!"

Scooby-Doo would be a dream come true. One of my favorite shows as a kid, and a perfect fit for LEGO. I hope, if this is a license, that it is Scooby-Doo. And with the new short sleeves, we can finally have a proper Shaggy without him looking... off, in some way.

On Top Gear, I am also curious as to what happened to that. I couldn't see them going very far with that one, though.

However, did anyone else see that episode of James May's Toy Stories where he built an entire house out of LEGO? I wonder if that is any indicator of a deal between the two companies?

I have seen that James May episode however that is rather old and it is a totally differant franchise he just is the presenter for both. So I doubt that is any indicator although it is a good thought.

Scooby-doo theme!

That could mean..... Ghost Clown and Witch Doctor minifigures! :wub: :wub: :wub:

scoobymummy3.jpgtiki.jpg

Edited by Robert8

That will most likely be based on the new show, "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!"

http://scoobyfan.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/BeCoolScoobyDoo_Gang.jpg

And they will probably be like the Simpsons, with molded heads.

I do agree with this, as Warner and LEGO are butt buddies- the new show is by Warner and on Cartoon Network (another business partner). Now, I don't think they'll do moulded heads. Or, at least, I hope not. They're not Simpsons level of facial construction/hair combination. Definitely will get some new hair moulds and a new Scooby mould.

That will most likely be based on the new show, "Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!"

http://scoobyfan.net...obyDoo_Gang.jpg

And they will probably be like the Simpsons, with molded heads.

No! Not molded heads!

It was okay for the Simpsons, because their heads are such odd shapes.

But Scooby and the gang? (well, Scooby would be molded anyways) no, their heads are normal enough that they'd be okay as normal minifigure heads.

I really hope they don't go molded.

I do agree with this, as Warner and LEGO are butt buddies- the new show is by Warner and on Cartoon Network (another business partner). Now, I don't think they'll do moulded heads. Or, at least, I hope not. They're not Simpsons level of facial construction/hair combination. Definitely will get some new hair moulds and a new Scooby mould.

Not really, Fred could use the Robin hair, Shaggy could use the Max hair.Velma the Irina Spako hair, and maybe the Elsa hair for Daph if theyre lazy.

But if the stick to the TMNT/Rebels for the

don't think the "monster figthers kinda follow up" will be a licensed theme.

http://www.thebrickf...coming-in-2015/

I'm hoping this turns out to be right.

Anyways I doubt they'd use molded heads. They're normal humans, and their style in the new show wouldn't translate into molded heads very well at all. The new character designs feature stick thin necks and rounded heads, right off the bat Shaggy, Velma and Daphne would be impossible to imitate in style for a molded head, the neck just isn't possible. It works for the Simpsons because those characters have thick necks, next to no chins and odd and sometimes pointed heads, with almost everyone having hair styles that don't even remotely match existing Lego pieces. The Simpsons would've needed specialty hair pieces even if the heads were normal, so one way or the other Lego would be stuck with a large amount of new molds.

Scooby on the other hand wouldn't necessarily need new molds, even for hair. There's a similar hair piece for almost all of those characters, and Lego has a large selection of existing parts that they could use for monsters. Really Scooby Doo himself is the only character that would completely require a new mold. At the end of the day molded heads would be pointless and just an extra strain on the budget. Plus the Character Building molded heads looked awful, and I doubt they'd repeat that mistake again.

Plus even if they take inspiration from the new show that's no guarantee they'll stick to those character designs for the minifigures. On top of having that show there's also several DTV movies produced every year utilizing their classic designs. So creating a one show specific toy would be a mistake, especially when the classic animation is still in use all the time.

Edited by strangely

No! Please, anything but molded heads! I don't want it based on that show. The art style is awful which would probably give us awful sets :cry_sad:

COBI has done Scooby products, but I think it's okay to see LEGO version. Whatever it should be a one-wave only license if true.

The human character are not as cartoonic as Simpsons, so I don't think they need whole head molds. Guys would use generic male hairs while Daphne can use Elsa.S/Aurora's. Velma probably needs a new one.

Edited by Dorayaki

Funny, I didn't care much for Scooby Doo as a kid, but I think this will do well.

I really hope they don't do $200 of combined sets though. I have a feeling Lego is going to find it does much better with lower cost sets. (for instance I'll bet $20 sets sell ten times better than $100 sets).

COBI has done Scooby products, but I think it's okay to see LEGO version. Whatever it should be a one-wave only license if true.

The human character are not as cartoonic as Simpsons, so I don't think they need whole head molds. Guys would use generic male hairs while Daphne can use Elsa.S/Aurora's. Velma probably needs a new one.

I'm kind of hoping they don't have molded heads. It's not needed.

Given the fact that the MF theme was loosely based on an original design based on Scooby Doo, it is feasible it will be Scooby Doo especially since the source has already proven accurate.

MegaBloks, I believe, also has a license to make Spiderman sets, so licenses don't always mean anything if they can be shared.

The Character Building sets were based a lot of the original MF concept design, which included the Mystery Machine, Dracula's Castle, and a Ghost Ship. That theme also included vehicles similar to the MF vehicles.

It should also be noted that the Dracula's Castle and Haunted Mansion sets are the same for the Character Building License, although playsets by other manufacturers actually use a two-story house from the original series as the mansion.

It is very likely LEGO will sell similar sets since the two announced have been the van and castle. In a related note, KRE-O knocked off the MF Vampyre Castle and sold it for about $25.

Edited by kelceycoe

Hopefully the Mystery Machine turns out better than the Character Building version which is absolutely atrocious.

I'm hoping the minifigures don't end up with molded heads or clone wars eyes. Hopefully this theme sells well, I'd like it to continue long enough to get at least the most iconic of the classic monsters. I'm really hoping for Space Kook, the Creeper, Charlie the haunted robot, the tar monster and Captain Cutler (We have the diving helmet, but not in a ghostly glowing green). Fortunately for most other Scooby villains Lego has a similar minifigure available. We have plenty of ghosts, witches, wizards, goblins, frankenstein monsters, black knights, mummies and Vampires already, so we really only need the more oddball monsters. Really this theme will fit pretty well into the Lego world.

I'm wondering who the rumored swamp monster will end up being. I can only recall a few swamp related villains. I recall the werewolf, witch, zombie and Mr. Hyde hid out in a swamp in the original show, but none of them look like swamp monsters specifically... Maybe the tar monster, I always thought he looked like he belonged in a swamp.

Edited by strangely

In one of the early series there was a swamp monster that looked like the original Creature From the Black Lagoon. It was a dark greyish green.

There is quite a lot of discussion about the possibility of Scooby Doo in the Action Adventure forum in the thread about the new spooky theme. This is all conjecture at this point. I am actually of the point of view that the new theme will be a retooled Monster Fighters (including a tv show), since it is quite probably replacing Legends of Chima in 2015.

Disney got the right for all future Indiana Jones films.http://www.digitalsp...-paramount.html

Maybe LEGO will renew their license if a new Film or Series is on the horizon :sweet::thumbup:

I'm seriously hoping - jonesing, one might say - for both more Indy adventures, and more Indy LEGO sets. I do think that if / when the franchise continues on screen, the theme will be revived; it's just a question of whether and when the series continues.

In keeping with revivals of themes for returning franchises, do note it's now known there will be a Toy Story 4. LEGO and Disney are pretty tight these days, and LEGO already has molds for most of the major characters; should we just assume this theme will come back? Did it do well enough that LEGO would want to bring it back if there was sufficient new media support (i.e., obviously not a new short or TV special, but a major motion picture)? I for one would certainly think and hope so...

Like Blakstone said, if it was Ghostbusters, they would probably not have put all four main characters in one set. I mean if they had plans for a full theme, they probably would've just put in Venkman and Spengler (or Stantz or Zedmore, I just think Spengler was most likely) and then announce the remaining two would be in another set to come later. I really doubt they'd just give us all the main characters all at once. That is very inconsistent with their classic marketing strategy of "split them up!"

I don't think this is the case with this particular license, for at least a couple reasons. First of all, it's the fact it happened as an Ideas project that meant there'd be only one set at first, and they could always look at that and see how it did to see if it was worth expanding upon (as with Minecraft), rather than just assuming from the outset it would or would not launch a whole theme.

Secondly, while Ideas projects that get accepted are subject to redesigning to make them work as sets, they don't alter the fundamental, core concepts of those projects, and the four characters were all essential, core elements of the initial proposal. The idea of the Ectomobile and minifigures of Spengler, Stantz, Venkman and Zeddemore - all four characters together along with the car - is what people voted for, and if LEGO just arbitrarily took two of them out, they'd be changing the core concept of the set from the one people voted for. They won't do that.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

The Fantastic Beasts thread has revealed that Nightmare Before Christmas, BTTF, and Ghostbusters could all be on the table for 2018. Never seen NBC, so I'll let others discuss that. 

As far as BTTF goes, we only got the DeLorean Ideas (at that time Cuusoo) set and two Dimensions packs. I think if BTTF is coming back, a DeLorean rerelease is the most likely set. The original is crazy expensive on the aftermarket and highly wanted by those who missed out on it. Doc's new hair piece from his Fun Pack can be reused. This time I would imagine Lego will redo the hood design, seeing as that was the biggest complaint with the Cuusoo set.

Beyond the DeLorean I think the Time Train from Part III is the next choice. Lego knows there's an audience because of the train project that got 10,000 supporters years ago on Cuusoo. But there's lots of other ideas throughout the trilogy. The clock tower, the 1885 train, Biff's car from 1955, Marty's truck, the Enchantment Under the Sea dance, just to name a few.

It wasn't specified whether Ghostbusters would be based on the originals or the reboot. I'm assuming originals since I don't think the reboot sets sold very well. (Stores near me had to clearance it off at 50%, and the Fun Pack based on it was cancelled.) Immediately the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man comes to mind. He's extremely iconic and would make a great set as shown by WetWired's great Ideas project. It could even come with marshmallow covered variants of the Ghostbusters and Walter Peck. I guess a remake of the original Ecto-1 could be possible, although that set wasn't retired too long ago. The Ecto-1a from Ghostbusters 2 could provide a similar car and still be something new. I would love to see Dana's apartment or the art museum, but those would probably have to be D2Cs.

Nightmare Before Christmas sounds fantastic.  My favorite holiday movie.  Jack with long legs and arms would be brilliant.

Back to the Future will be great.  I want a DeLorean that looks great, has folding wheels and working doors, and runs on garbage.

Ghostbusters, well, all I want is a Vigo the Carpathian minifigure.

Really hope the Ghostbusters and BTTF rumors are true, I already missed out on both the delorean and ecto-1 sets, and I need more time to get the firehouse if they're gonna retire it. Nightmare before Christmas does sound awesome though!