Sign in to follow this  
MikeyB

MOC: Fishing Camp

Twice a year, thousands of fish run up the Isca River near the village of Circardia to their spanning grounds into the streams that feed the mighty Isca. Corlinda, her husband, Turmus, and his brother, Partus, have been fishing below the falls of one of these streams for years. Partus sets a net across the stream to catch the fish as Turmus carries the recent catch to the table where Corlinda prepares the fish for the smoker. By smoking the fish they are able to preserve the enough smoke fish to supply most the of Circardia and make a modest living . Today, Lord Arlindus visits the camp to place an order for his upcoming feast.

river1-M.jpg

Partus setting the net

river2-M.jpg

Lord Arlindus greets Turmus as he carries the fish to his wife, Corlinda. Corlinda prepares the fish for the smoker (behind Lord Arlindus)

river6-M.jpg

Many fish still avoid the net to "jump" the falls to their spawnning grounds.

river4-M.jpg

Thanks for looking, my tower is nearly finished as well and I have started my Albion build as well. Come on US Postal Service with my Bricklink order!

Edited by MikeyB

Mikey this is wonderful!!! The amount of details on such a samll area?! Really great!

The smokey (I havenĀ“t seen that before in lego), the net over the little river, the living waterfall and the "derfel-trees"!!! Just perfect! :wub:

Awesome creation, fish in the nets and a smoke-house......fantastic designing 'MikeyB', Brick On Fish On ! :wink:

Avalonia Forever !

This is awesome. The amount of detail is fantastic! The lush foliage, waterfall and smoking house, all perfect. :thumbup:

Those trees are cool as well, but in my opinion brown hoses might look even better as trunks.

I sure would love to have a piece of delicious smoked salmon steak!

Nice MOC. The landscaping and general 'action' is well done. The smoker is what caught my eye though. How is the roof attached? DOes it just sit on there or is it attached to the structure somehow?

Awesome work MikeyB! :wub:

Such great details on such a small scene. Everything is so believable which adds to the magic. Well played! :thumbup:

That's a really nice scene you made there. The way you use the net and than the treatment of the fish: great build!

thanks for the feed back everyone. The smokehouse idea came from sometime I spent in Alaska and the salmon spawns there. I wanted one of the new bears to put on the platform above the falls but they are going for $15 on BL. I'm hoping it will appear in another set soon or the prices on BL will come down.

I too would have preferred brown hoses over the black (I also like the grey or white for "birch" trees) are pricey too and I had black. After feedback on my tower (still a WIP but should finish this weekend) I changed my trees to the some Derfel style ones. I find you can bend them a bit for some nice angles and I also "beefed" one up by adding 1x1 rounds (that one is on my tower MOC)

For the smoker, the sides were initially designed as tables for another upcoming project but then when I started building the smoker, I thought I'd try them as a side. The roof of the smoke isn't truly attached. I did add a couple 1x1 round plates underneath it to keep it from sliding around. But I wanted to be able to pull the rack from the smoker for a photo (which I didn't do!) I also was trying to create some "smoke" coming out it but was unhappy with the results.

I Also the I drew inspiration for the falls from Seircon and Coral's excellent MOC Faerie flower festival

thanks again!

You are really pumping out these quality mocs! Another great scene and pulled off extremly well with some great details and interesting ideas. Im a big fan of the 'everyday life' medieval scenes like these. Like de Gothia, you are really doing a great job of creating your own personal area of land in Avalonia. Circardia is another area that looks set to become a great example of a classic Avalonian town/village. Great work!

I don't know how I missed this the first time, what a lovely scene. Great concept and execution, it is really alive with detail and activity. The net and fish and the falls are my favourite parts, and the smoker is a brilliant idea. My only suggestion is that Partus's shirt gets lost in the green scenery, which would work for a hunter but less so for a fisher. Beautiful build

:classic:

Well seeing as its bumped Great build Mikey! the foliage is awesome!

What a lovely litttle scene! The smokehouse is a great idea and the amount of foliage is just right. :classic:

I love this MOC :wub:. I love everyday life, and this really captures the feel of it. The fish about to go up the waterfall is nice, and I like the way Turnus carry's the fish. Well done!