Sign in to follow this  
Basiliscus

Website Outage

Next time this is happening, please do this:

1/ open a DOS window

2/ run the command: tracert 83.169.34.155

Take a screenshot of the output and post it here.

Next, do the same when the EB is running smooth.

This should help to determine if this is a server or connection issue. I'm leaning towards the 2nd as I'm not experiencing these issues.

Thanks, it hasn't been running slow for me to take a screen shot though.

EB has been extremely slow all day or not loading at all (I'm getting lots of time-outs). That no one has reported something similar yet makes me think it's a connection issue. My ISP's part of the connection seems fine in terms of ping times, though.

Trace route looks as follows.

Tracing route to www.eurobricks.com [83.169.34.155]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    24 ms    15 ms    12 ms  10.252.4.1 
 2    10 ms    10 ms    11 ms  rmnd-rc0001-ds101-vl201.core.as9143.net [213.51.154.65] 
 3    27 ms    20 ms    16 ms  tb-rc0001-cr101-ae4-0.core.as9143.net [213.51.157.155] 
 4    20 ms    16 ms    17 ms  asd-lc0006-cr101-ae5-0.core.as9143.net [213.51.158.18] 
 5    88 ms    25 ms    17 ms  ae1.ams10.ip4.tinet.net [77.67.64.61] 
 6    19 ms    19 ms    18 ms  adm-b4-link.telia.net [213.248.78.101] 
 7    21 ms    18 ms    28 ms  adm-bb2-link.telia.net [80.91.253.212] 
 8    26 ms    24 ms    23 ms  hbg-bb2-link.telia.net [213.155.135.27] 
 9    35 ms    44 ms    57 ms  kol-b2-link.telia.net [80.91.247.249] 
10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
11    70 ms    88 ms   105 ms  xe-0-1-0.dr-slave.r2.cgn3.hosteurope.de [176.28.4.78] 
12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
13    39 ms    27 ms    27 ms  www.eurobricks.com [83.169.34.155] 

Trace complete.

I have the same problem. Pages take at least a minute to load, but nothing seems to be wrong if I ping the server.

I am getting a little worried and I wonder if it is the new Series 7 review, is overloading with unexpected traffic? :look:

My Eurobricks isn't so much as crawling as it dragging itself across the ground with one hand... :look: I don't think it's the Series 7 review, there's about as much traffic right now as there usually is at this time, I think.

Painfully slow. Timeouts all over (two tries to get this reply page to load).

It seems like images and scripts are affected because the actual base URL seems to be found find but images pop on so slowly like i'm on dialup. All other sites are working normally for me and I've confirmed others are having the same issue.

As I'm typing this, the smileys still have not finished loading.

I'm on Mac OSX Lion using Safari (also tried in Firefox).

Me too. Though it looks like it's getting somewhat better, pages time-out often and there are a lot of broken links/buttons, specifically the Reply buttons, emoticons, and banners and other graphics. I'm using Chrome on Windows XP.

It's been like this for the past four hours or so for me, and this is the only website that's being slow.

While we're reporting OS, I'm using Safari on Snow Leopard.

I did notice your S7 review was blogged by TBB, Fangy, so if that's the topic causing the problem, that's where I'd guess all the traffic's coming from.

Oh good, it's not just me. Google Chrome is dragging its butt also.

Just fixed itself for me, though I was getting the same issues. IE9 with Windows 7. The smileys seemed to be the source of the problem, everything else was loading right up.

Just fixed itself for me, though I was getting the same issues. IE9 with Windows 7. The smileys seemed to be the source of the problem, everything else was loading right up.

The emoticons are hosted on EB, so they're probably not so much the source as the highly evident victims of a slow EB server.

Oy. Lag is back. I clicked the link to this topic at 4:03 and it's now 4:05 as I type this. If I click submit just at 4:06, the new page should load up at about 4:08. :hmpf_bad:

Painfully slow load times are off and on for me today.

Mozilla Firefox on a PC.

I am getting a little worried and I wonder if it is the new Series 7 review, is overloading with unexpected traffic? :look:

Yes, that's the root cause.

It's caused because the pictures of this review are hosted on the EB server. I think for future reviews (especially those with many pics) we should host them again off-site (on Flickr) to avoid this impact on the speed of EB.

Yup, it's been the same for me, although it's starting to get better now. I guess there are several unfortunate factors at play here: Weekend + awesome review + links to the review on other sites + pics hosted on EB = Loads of people slowing the site down.

So yeah, way to overload the server, Fangy. :poke: Perhaps next time you should post it during the week and host the pics somewhere else as Bonaparte suggested. :wink:

phew! Great to know that it's just about over, its really hard, especially since I just posted a MOC! :grin: Seems like this may be a time TBB did more harm than good! Oh well!

The Eurobricks server is still running fairly slow on Sunday, March 25th. Whitefang has posted all of his pictures on this Flickr photoset, so recommend that all of the Eurobricks-hosted images be "swapped-out" to the (identical) Flickr images. :look:

The Eurobricks server is still running fairly slow on Sunday, March 25th. Whitefang has posted all of his pictures on this Flickr photoset, so recommend that all of the Eurobricks-hosted images be "swapped-out" to the (identical) Flickr images. :look:

Right now, it's running very fast for me, actually, which surprises me because I have rather slow Internet service.

We still have a bunch of people coming to the review, so still some slowness effects from time to time. Seems that all the major AFOL sites are linking to the review, so no surprise this is draining resources. I do think the storm is almost over and hope we don't have to trouble Whitefang for changing all the links on this existing review. Also as a countermeasure I just moved up our webserver 'maxclients' by half to cope with the traffic.

LOL, I just broke the server.

Image is a link to a full size image, where you can better read the words.

6897619874_bde41e8f12_c.jpg