Sign in to follow this  
Basiliscus

Website Outage

Hi all,

I usually access EB either from Chrome (v 15.0.874.121 m) on my Windows XP PC or through my Android (Gingerbread) phone. On several occasions during the last week I have had the "Chrome cannot display this webpage" message (and the equivalent on my phone).

At first I thought it might be a problem with my router but I have tried it through the router at work as well as my mobile network. It only happens intermittently so I wondered if it was maybe a server overload type issue?

If anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers,

Colin

Edited by Basiliscus

On occasion the site can go down for maintenance, but not that often. I have not experienced any outages this past week.

Being that I don't know if there was maintenance done, I will say cell networks often have hiccups, my gingerbread phone does from time to time. Even with full bars the internet just doesn't want to load, often disabling data and re-enabling it solves it for me. As for your work router, are you sure they still allow access to forums? I got EB blocked at my work.

One of the roots will have to chime in to let us know if there was any maintenance being done, so we know for sure.

I've noticed it slow on occasion this week but it hasn't gone down. We'll check into it.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Big Cam - I have been on EB before at work (and after one of these events too) so I don't think it's blocked at work. I can get on other sites no problem, it just seems to be EB. Thanks for the comment though!

Hinckley - Thanks for that! :thumbup: I wondered if all this Historica business had meant more people accessing than normal?

I've been having issues with the site this week too. I'll try and load a topic in the forum, my browsers says it's loading and then after about a minute or so (far longer than usual) it says that the webpage cannot be displayed. This isn't all the time, but has been happening quite frequently. At worst, the front page wouldn't load either.

I do not know at this moment what the issue was (is) but I do know there wasn't a resource issue reported in any of the logs on our server. If this issue persists I'll contact our provider to get their view.

Earlier today, I kept trying to post in the Heroica Hall topic, and the site kept timing out when I tried to post. :sceptic: It works now, but... (This lasted throughout the 11:00 AM hour California time, don't know when that would be for the servers.)

Thanks Bonaparte for the comment. Rocketbilly describes the issue far more succinctly than I did below:

I've been having issues with the site this week too. I'll try and load a topic in the forum, my browsers says it's loading and then after about a minute or so (far longer than usual) it says that the webpage cannot be displayed. This isn't all the time, but has been happening quite frequently. At worst, the front page wouldn't load either.

Maybe there isn't an issue but just thought I'd bring it to your attention!

Same here, I've noticed this slow page loading difficulty in the past couple of weeks actually. I initially thought it might've been just poor connection by the ISP here in our place, but then when I browse others sites I don't experience the same problem. It's not really that much of a big issue, as I only experience it for a short while (around 30-45 mins), then it disappears. Though it seems to occur randomly, and I have not observed it the past two days, unlike others who reported to have experienced it today.

Slow, yes. I just figured it was my computer though. Sometimes it'll load faster if you refresh the page you were trying to view.

Slow, yes. I just figured it was my computer though. Sometimes it'll load faster if you refresh the page you were trying to view.

That actually makes the problem worse for me...

I haven't experienced the problem yet today, so hopefully... *crosses fingers*

EDIT: Happened again. Started at 5:40 PM Pacific Time, ended while I was having dinner.

BTW, the site timestamps are messed up. I have to set my display to Alaska time to get Pacific time. DST is not set to be on, so IDK why this would be happening.

Edited by Flipz

BTW, the site timestamps are messed up. I have to set my display to Alaska time to get Pacific time. DST is not set to be on, so IDK why this would be happening.

This has been a known issue for a long time, I recall bringing this up a few years ago, and I do believe the solution was to just adjust the time until it displayed correctly for you.

I just made a ticket with our server provider asking them to investigate on their end.

Yes, they have always been wrong. We could correct them but what's the point? Time on a global forum is rather irrelevant anyway and since most people have set their time taking the error into consideration it'd annoy more people fixing it now.

I know we are still having some slowness and some tests on our server are still ongoing.

I promise we'll find a solution and implement it in the near future because we want this place to run super smooth all the time.

The server load may be a bit more too as more people will surely be on here in the coming days due to the holidays, people have time off work and may be on here more than normally.

The server load may be a bit more too as more people will surely be on here in the coming days due to the holidays, people have time off work and may be on here more than normally.

Yes, that may very well be. I'm hoping we can still fix all this in the coming days, so before the holidays (at least when they start here in Belgium which is in one week). With the increasing amount of visitors on Eurobricks our webserver is sometimes using a lot of CPU and is reaching the limits of our current system. Most probably the solution will be to move this entire site to a more powerful server. The details and exact timing are still being discussed with our provider.

Well, I don't know if it means anything, and I don't know if my report will help, but it's started happening again. At around 8:00 PM Pacific Time (US), EB started timing out sporadically. For several minutes at a time, I was completely unable to load any page. If it helps, most of the trouble happened while trying to change my profile and sig and while using the "jump to page ___" feature in the RPG forum.

Edited by Flipz

Maybe 20 minutes ago, the site would not load. I got 504 error: Gateway Timeout when I tried to access it. I was on the site, posting when it happened. It's back up now (obviously) and has been for a few minutes, but it might be connected to the problems other members have been having lately.

It has been acting very slow for me lately as well.

Next time this is happening, please do this:

1/ open a DOS window

2/ run the command: tracert 83.169.34.155

Take a screenshot of the output and post it here.

Next, do the same when the EB is running smooth.

This should help to determine if this is a server or connection issue. I'm leaning towards the 2nd as I'm not experiencing these issues.