Sign in to follow this  
NiceMarmot

MOC: Zigar-an-Gifuzi (Kaliphlin Watchtower)

The geothermal wastes of Zigar-an-Gifuzi, a land of fire jets, geysers, sulphuric pools, and boiling mud pits, seems like an unusual place for a watchtower. Located on the lower slopes of Mt Erezhi, next to the Dune Sea, in south central Siccus, it is far away from any borders. Any normal borders, that is...

For you see, who knows what lies below the infernal pools and mud pits of Zigar-an-Gifuzi? Some say there are portals to the underworld, or to demonic dimensions. All we know for sure is that unspeakable monsters have been known to emerge from the hellish depths and terrorize the nearby countryside. The watchtower of Zigar-an-Gifuzi was originally constructed by a misguided entrepreneur as an inn, catering to tourists come to see the geysers and colorful pools. After a particularly bad spate of monstrous invasions, culminating in the par-boiling of a visiting trade delegation from the East as they were having their portrait painted in front of the pools, the inn was converted into a watchtower, with a garrison of crack troops specially trained in handling demonic incursions. They maintain a constant vigilance over the underworld portals, and swiftly dispatch any invaders. Occasionally they will capture a minor, less dangerous demon alive, and transport it to Doktor Frankstein and Herr Liebniz for future study.

6464514117_054f16c909_b.jpg

Zigar-an-Gifuzi: watchtower

6464513551_7d0fdfaa9e_z.jpg

Zigar-an-Gifuzi: side view

Uh oh boys! Looks like we got a live one! He looks pretty nasty; better get out the extra strength crossbows with silver bolts!

6464514363_1d703c44ef_z.jpg

Zigar-an-Gifuzi: monster in the pool

Close up of the tower. Originally designed as an inn, it's a bit more ornate than your average watchtower.

6464514677_cf3684d8cd_z.jpg

Zigar-an-Gifuzi: tower closeup

Officially off limits to civilians, those with proper connections can still arrange for a guided tower by the garrison, subject to the appropriate gratuities, of course. Here Princess Halifaya and Lord Zertanex are taking in the sights. "Oh dear, look over there! A double-crested blue mantarasm emerging from the far pool! So unusual this time of year, and so far south. How exciting! I can't wait to tell the folks back at the Monsterspotters Club!"

6464514853_116e4d45b8_z.jpg

Zigar-an-Gifuzi: view from the deck

Rear view.

6464513755_0402eabdea_z.jpg

Zigar-an-Gifuzi: rear view

6464513313_04005bd34c_z.jpg

Zigar-an-Gifuzi: watchtower

Edited by NiceMarmot

Nice work NiceMarmot. Love the colour scheme here - the mixture of white, light blue and medium flesh looks great! It gives a nice sense of being different.

I like your idea about the hot springs, a very different concept and one I wouldn't have thought of myself.

Good job :thumbup:

Hey NM, very nice work, loving the story and the detail, the architecture is great, arabiany with a twist, but I can't figure out those bananas at the top of the tower, are they for decoration or something else?

Very nice tower, good work! :thumbup:

This is a really original concept :thumbup:, and you have some really nice details. The mummy microfigs work really well alongside the white and medium blue. Although I'm not sure I like the bananas - just because of their colour, so they seem slightly out of place. But as a whole this is a great idea and build.

I'm not totally sure about the bananas either. They are for decoration. It just seemed like it needed something else up there. I tried some of long white dinosaur bones, but they didn't look right, too long and curved. The bananas actually do look pretty good in person, and they don't obviously look like bananas; they look like part of the dome.

Great MOC NiceMarmot. The geysers look great and the back story is nice as well. Nothing beats a tourist trap with a chance of demonic invasion!

Great MOC NiceMarmot. The geysers look great and the back story is nice as well. Nothing beats a tourist trap with a chance of demonic invasion!

Gives a whole new meaning to the phrase "tourist trap"! Guess I should have put the skeleton in a mudpit!

I didn't quite have the transparent pieces I needed for a really nice geyser, so I had to make do with what I had. You never know what bricks you'll need. I can remember thinking "I'm building castles and stuff, I don't really need any trans-orange or trans-yellow pieces..." Same with the medium-blue; I really had to scrounge for those pieces. I wanted to do more medium-blue accents on the watchtower, but I just don't have those bricks. Oh well, back to BrickLink!

I'm not totally sure about the bananas either. They are for decoration. It just seemed like it needed something else up there. I tried some of long white dinosaur bones, but they didn't look right, too long and curved. The bananas actually do look pretty good in person, and they don't obviously look like bananas; they look like part of the dome.

How about what I used 87747.jpg Pearl gold barbs, got a load from bricklink, I can't remember what for but I used them yay!

Like this,

6441558995_4d2cd376db.jpg

But turn them around like the bananas or something.

Hahaha! Great concept, and the whole thing looks good. Bananas?! Awesome! I like it.

I notice that on one side the blue bricks near the top are a different colour. I would suggest that you either make them all the same blue, or mix up the other sides too. Whether you go with a consistent pattern, or just at random.

I like the idea behind it and the vertical feeling on the walls.

From a distance, I think the bananas look good.

Good work. :thumbup:

The story is fantastic.

And the build lives up to it. the pools are great, but I really love how you used the different shades of blue... it's a very subtle but nice effect.

Well done!

I notice that on one side the blue bricks near the top are a different colour. I would suggest that you either make them all the same blue, or mix up the other sides too. Whether you go with a consistent pattern, or just at random.

Good eye. Yeah, I ran out of medium-blue 1x1 bricks! Will order more from BL, but won't have them in time for the 15th.

How about what I used 87747.jpg Pearl gold barbs, got a load from bricklink, I can't remember what for but I used them yay!

I wanted to use those, but only had orange ones, which didn't look so good. Have added the pearl gold ones to my BL wanted list.

I love this story and tower. So cool to have a demon onsen in the desert!

Doktor Frankenstein has a highly developed interest in all types of the life sciences, and is very grateful for the opportunity to study such interesting specimens when it arises.

:classic: