Sign in to follow this  
WhiteHexagon

HP train, compatible?

I read somewhere that the HP train doesnt fit so well with tracks? is this possible/right?

Peter

There are 3 HP trains - two that don't run on Lego tracks and one that does (it actually comes with track in the set).

4708 and 4758 are the two trains that don't run on Lego track - they are to be the same size as the motorised track version but they have fixed wheels and so won't take curves. Apparently they can be converted into motorised lego trains that will run on the tracks.

The motorised version you can buy is 10132 - this is basically a train set with track, station, transformer and figures as well as the train.

Hope this helps - all can be seen on bricklink. We have all three and the motorsed set is well worth having IMO.

Holly

Wow! That's beautiful, Panda. And it reminds me that 4708 and 4752 don't have tenders - while the motorised Hogwart's Express and yours do!

Holly

Thanks to you both for the info. Great setup Panda. Actually now I'm a bit scarred. I really wanted to add trains to my little (growing) village. But when I see the amount of space it all takes up!!! OMG. I need to move apartments for sure :)

What I like in the motorised Hogwart Express is the train station, with a really nice look! But buying this set just for the station is really expansive!

Well, I have enough track......, but space is run out 8-| . And moving is too expensive :-P .

Looks like it's time for a double decker layout then! Here's what I'm doing with the 9V system - it'll work equally well with 12V track though:

Each circuit is a 'looped eight' with 2 tracks through the station platforms and 4 tracks through a fiddle yard underneath the station. The tracks swap levels on the other side of the layout (16ft x 12ft). The maximum slope is 1 in 30 (1 plate in 12 studs or 4 plates per 48x48 baseplate) with 1 in 40 (1 plate per piece of track) on the curves.

This is a fiddle yard module http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1830441 - through sidings underneath with the station baseplates placed on top. This needs reliable motors for points underneath. 12V point motors should be OK. I have to use monkey motors for unmodified 9V points.

Here the Hogwarts Express climbs to the top level and the ballast train descends to the bottom level: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1953731

This picture shows the swap-over point. The track with the Red loco is the descending line. The nearest line is the ascending line. The line in the middle allows a train from the descending line to swap over to the ascending line to stay on top (useful if there is a crash in the fiddle yard!). Since a short train can be stopped in the crossover line, the ballast is darker there (because more oil would be dropped by the stationary trains on a real railway) http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1725978 The extra modules can be inserted into the slope when the middle module changes its track slopes to suit.

Mark