Andonii

A Complete Collection of Maps of Historica

Here are all the maps of all the guilds, taken out of the main guild forum and put together in on topic. I will update this post if the maps get redrafted.

Map of Historica by Thrash

6419580707_a9db060a32_z.jpg

Map of Kalaphlin by NiceMarmot

6441716865_4546d9752f_z.jpg

Map of Nocturnus by Forresto

6419581253_1d510b8824_b.jpg

Map of Mitgardia by Viceroy

6472650009_8724f3d20a_b.jpg

Map of Avalonia by Jason Cicchini

avalonia2a.jpg

legend.jpg

Thanks, and I hope that all the maps together helps.

Edited by Andonii

Very nice idea to put them all together in a single thread!

All of them are very nice maps, some may have an artist's touch, other are more the funcional thing.

I think it would be very nice if someone completed the first one in Mitgardia, and them we could make an 'interguild' effort to create an 'open-source' project with an artistic incorporation, but also something that could be easily edited in order to place new landmarks as Historica's history goes on.

I find nice that each Guild has their own interpretation for the geografic issues, but I think it would been nice if we have a more accurate shaping for the large continent.

I had always draw handmade Maps for RPG's and stuff, never done it with the computer but that's no hardtime, and I put myselt available if someones wishes to carry the thing on.

I personally think the Nocturnus and Mitgardia map need to be completed (since Nocturnus isn't as detailed as the others and Mitgardia has a few bits that look unfinished).

You really are desperate to try and make yourself look as important as possible, aren't you...

These map pics could just as well have gone into the main topic, stickied with the guild threads.

You really are desperate to try and make yourself look as important as possible, aren't you...

These map pics could just as well have gone into the main topic, stickied with the guild threads.

Well, from his signature we can see he is a real 'title collectioner' :laugh:

My dear god.... I didn't know all those maps existed. They are awesome. Good job everybody. :thumbup:

Well, from his signature we can see he is a real 'title collectioner' :laugh:

Hey guys I earned those in my guild, and I thought it might just be useful to people needing maps, so I took them out of the main forum, so people didn't have to spend ages looking for them in the guild threads.

Awesome maps, but I can't figure out where the Nocturnus map fits in to the main Historia one.... *huh*

Come on guys- let's not discourage participation- being in a separate topic is fine. If it should go in another thread or be merged a MOD will do it. I appreciate not having to look for all of them.

I think there is some room to discuss just the maps so I think putting it here is fine, especially if there is going to be an effort to make an official map to rule them all. I appreciate that everyone has done a pretty good job of keeping the general shape and what not consistent. Is there any thoughts on making an official guild sponsored map? I know Thrash's is closest and everyone did a pretty good job of sticking with that general lay out, but maybe a composite map after each guild has made an official map of its territory could be nice.

How rude! :thumbdown:

It's not wise to gang up on members lest the High King order all involved to dress as jugglers and dance... :wink:

It's interesting to see all the maps side-by-side it truly reminds me of ancient maps where the same bodies of water and landmasses were represented but skewed and in different proportions. I think Thrash drew his to encompass the rest and represents the most agreed-upon big picture. Keep in mind that as has already been pointed out, the Mitgardia map is not yet finished; Viceroy is working on a final version, which I assume will be done soonish. :thumbup:

Great work to all the artists amongst us!

I agree 100%, Sirens-Of-Titan. That was so uncalled for... :sceptic:

Other than that, thank you for taking the time to do this! This will be helpful to members of guilds who like seeing maps, such as I. :classic:

It's not wise to gang up on members lest the High King order all involved to dress as jugglers and dance... :wink:

It's interesting to see all the maps side-by-side it truly reminds me of ancient maps where the same bodies of water and landmasses were represented but skewed and in different proportions. I think Thrash drew his to encompass the rest and represents the most agreed-upon big picture. Keep in mind that as has already been pointed out, the Mitgardia map is not yet finished; Viceroy is working on a final version, which I assume will be done soonish. :thumbup:

Great work to all the artists amongst us!

Andonii, thanks for posting all these here. It's helpful to see them all together.

If you want this to be even more useful, you could edit the original post to also include a link to where you got them map from. That way if someone clicks on the photo they are taken to a larger version if they want to study it in more detail.

Other than that, very good work!

Hey guys I earned those in my guild, and I thought it might just be useful to people needing maps, so I took them out of the main forum, so people didn't have to spend ages looking for them in the guild threads.

I know how you picked those titles - we Nocturnians keep a close-eye to Avalonia :devil: - and you did it greatly, so it's not a shame but a great job!

For what is up to the single topic for the maps, I found great that you did it, and I also think this should be moved to the top fixed section of this Forum, so all folks of Historica could easily find the thread.

Edited by Cij Daoke

Regarding the Mitgardian Map, the first one was just a draft. The final version is on the way but the problem with hand drawing is that its very easy to make a mistake and have to start all over again! :cry_sad:

Having a consolidated place for all the maps floating around was a bit of deficiency on the part of the Guild Leaders. So good initive on your part to combine them all in a single place.

Though I don't really think we need to be stickied post - we should probably move the maps (or at least the latest version) in the main Historica/Challenge thread.

What this thread could be use for is discussion on said maps - an interguild meeting spot for cartographers and map aficionados to discuss and debate the fine points of border negotiations...

I posted most of this already in the Avalonia Guild thread, but it's definitely relevant here. On further examination, it appears that both the Avalonia and Kaliphlin guild maps were created with very similar scales in mind: For the Avalonian map, it's about 5.56 pixels per mile (the distance between watchtowers 14 and 18 is 50 miles). The Siccus Badlands map is 'zoomed out' more; it has an approximate scale of 2 pixels per mile.

Someone on a good horse on a decent road or path can travel about 35 miles per day (without exhausting the horse; you could go much faster but you wouldn't be able to ride the horse the next day). I make the distance between Cedrica and the Avalonian capital at about 165 miles by the roads, or nearly 5 days by horse. That's probably a good distance. From the Avalonian capital to Barqa in the western Siccus it would be about 265 miles by road, or 7.5 days by horse. And from Cedrica to Petraea, the capital of the Badlands, it's 271 miles by roads, which is nearly 8 days. I think those are all good distances; not too close together, but also not unreasonably far either by medieval standards.

From Barqa to Petraea would be about 215 miles by road, or just over six days on a horse. From Petraea to Qarkyr is about 144 miles, or just over four days on a horse. So maybe ten and a half days from Barqa to Qarkyr. At about 360 miles, that's slightly less than the driving distance from San Francisco to Los Angeles.

Medieval ships probably did four to five knots, or 96-120 nautical miles in 24 hours (assuming there is wind). Taking an average and converting to land-miles, that's about 125 miles per day. Barqa to the Spice Islands is about 225 miles, so just under two days best case if you sail through the night (which you probably wouldn't). Barqa to southern Nocturnus is about 750 miles by sea, or six days sail, assuming you don't put into port for the night, and assuming the dragons and storms of Cape Dahaka don't get you. More likely they'd put in for the night rather than run the risk of hitting rocks and reefs, so probably more like a two week trip. Barqa to watchtower #8 in southern Avalonia is about 250 miles, or four days sailing if you stop for the night.

By this scale Historica appears to be about 770 miles wide, from the western edge of the Enchanted Isles to the eastern shore of the Moruth Swamplands. I don't have a good map of Mitgardia, so Historica's north-south dimension is harder to measure, but I'd guess it appears to be about 600 miles or so. That puts Historica at about the same size as a rotated Texas, which is about 790 miles north-south and 660 miles east-west. By contrast, France is about 600 miles in both dimensions.

We certainly don't need to get too accurate about scale and so forth (this is medieval cartography after all), but it's good to know what the approximate distances and travel times are.

Could I just request that final copies of the maps to say that they are the final, so I can edit them into the post.

Medieval ships probably did four to five knots, or 96-120 nautical miles in 24 hours (assuming there is wind). Taking an average and converting to land-miles, that's about 125 miles per day. Barqa to the Spice Islands is about 225 miles, so just under two days best case if you sail through the night (which you probably wouldn't). Barqa to southern Nocturnus is about 750 miles by sea, or six days sail, assuming you don't put into port for the night, and assuming the dragons and storms of Cape Dahaka don't get you. More likely they'd put in for the night rather than run the risk of hitting rocks and reefs, so probably more like a two week trip. Barqa to watchtower #8 in southern Avalonia is about 250 miles, or four days sailing if you stop for the night.

I am not trying to nit pick, just comparing conclusions here. We came to different conclusions ( I posted after you on the Avalonia thread) although I estimated around 700 miles of coast in the south, I think the map maker (you) has a better idea on the scale. In the end, It really depends on the type of ship, but I think 4-5 knots is a little slow for a Medieval ship. Most major ancient trade routes in the Mediterranean averaged around 6 -7 knots (but you have to remember that many of them probably put in at night, so while sailing were hitting higher speeds.) The top speed for small cog (50ft or so) would be around 9 knots, where a larger cog (100ft) would likely be around 13 knots. Still, I agree with you about putting in at night, most ships would not dare that terrain in the dark, thus making the trip about two weeks. My calculations were all made assuming the best wind possible and sailing 24 hours a day - something most ships would not do. So, I am guessing it is about a 2 month journey to circumnavigate the continent - Assuming one can pass through the polar regions. (maybe that will spark some Mitgardia polar explorers MOCs!)

Quick suggestion

Could we have a great river running from the high peaks of Mitigardia down through to a delta in the south of Kaliphlin? currently it looks like there are several mediocre rivers that may or may not join up. it could run close towards the Kelra labyrinth and past the Rakath mountains. It would create a very useful trade resource route ie. floating trees down stream, barges of rock, etc, as well as create a very nice natural barrier and obstacle throughout the land. It would give all guilds a new niche area to develop and design. The capital could be situated on a massive lake fed by and drained by this river. It would give the capital strong affluent and mystical feel as a capital should.

Just to clarify by great river I mean a serious piece of water.

Thoughts?

Quick suggestion

Could we have a great river running from the high peaks of Mitigardia down through to a delta in the south of Kaliphlin? currently it looks like there are several mediocre rivers that may or may not join up. it could run close towards the Kelra labyrinth and past the Rakath mountains. It would create a very useful trade resource route ie. floating trees down stream, barges of rock, etc, as well as create a very nice natural barrier and obstacle throughout the land. It would give all guilds a new niche area to develop and design. The capital could be situated on a massive lake fed by and drained by this river. It would give the capital strong affluent and mystical feel as a capital should.

Just to clarify by great river I mean a serious piece of water.

Thoughts?

Great idea. The cartographers probably should get started right away. It woould make a journey from one end to the other much easier.

Well, the Arkbri River runs from the Mitgardian peaks, down past Cedrica, through the Siccus Badlands to the great southern port of Barqa. I think this is the river you're looking for. On the Historica map, it appears that Cedrica is not exactly on the river (if it's location is where the star is), but it could be magically moved. I'd leave that up to Thrash to make that call, since he did the Historica map. Having it right on the river and that big lake in the middle would be nice. Then perhaps Cedrica's citadel could be on an island in the lake, while the city is on shore, connected by a causeway? Plus the Avalonian map shows a river running west from Cedrica through Avalonia, so it would have water connections to Mitgardia, Avalonia, and Kaliphlin. Seems natural that a city would arise near where two major rivers almost meet.

There has been a few new versions of maps, which I have added to the start.

I think something must of gotten messed up when you edited the first post. the only map coming up is the new Mitgardian map

I think something must of gotten messed up when you edited the first post. the only map coming up is the new Mitgardian map

One map to rule them all and in the Posted Image bind them. :tongue:

Edited by Viceroy