Sign in to follow this  
Sandy

Heroica RPG - Quest#14: The Family Recipe

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?" the man shouts back.

"OH, RIGHT! I UH.."

He takes a copy of the list and folds it into a paper aeroship, which he throws up to the man

"GROCERY LIST OF SORTS. ANY SUGGESTIONS?"

"No problem.", Cinna smiles "I'm sure we'll find our way around. Thanks again." Cinna walks over to her team and shares the news with them.

OoC: Sorry I didn't see that list until after my post.

To her companions, "I think we should start with Marmaduc's Menagerie, she might know where we can find the scorpions as well."

"Ms. Cinna, would it be possible for us to split up into separate groups, and meet back up for the big-fight at the fountain? After all, time is of the essence here."

"OH, RIGHT! I UH.."

He takes a copy of the list and folds it into a paper aeroship, which he throws up to the man

"GROCERY LIST OF SORTS. ANY SUGGESTIONS?"

The turban-headed man reads the list.

"I THINK THE ALMAGESTA HAS ONE NOCTURNE AMORELLA IN HER GARDEN, BUT LIKE THE NAME SAYS, IT ONLY BLOOMS AT NIGHT. HOPE THAT HELPS!"

The man throws the paper plane back down.

While waiting for the man to unfold the paper and look over it, Thormanil turns to the group, who seem to have gathered near the center of the square

"Just one minute, I'll be right with ya! Thothy's right though, we should split up, at least while we're in the city and investigatin' and what-not. If we have to do anything more than visit a shop or house, say, chop down a man-eatin' wildflower in that one garden, we should probably regroup 'fore we tackle it."

The paper plane hitting him in the back of the head, he turns back around to the man on the roof. Hearing what he had to say, Thormanil thanks him and hurries back over to the group.

Edited by swils

"Ms. Cinna, would it be possible for us to split up into separate groups, and meet back up for the big-fight at the fountain? After all, time is of the essence here."

"Yes that makes sense, we can split into two groups for talking to the various people. I'll take Bartholomew with me to visit Marmaduc's Menagerie. You, Thormanil, and Bluto can head to another area. Thormanil will be your team leader until we meet up again. Where will your group head first? "

Edited by darkdragon

"Yes that makes sense, we can split into two groups for talking to the various people."

heroicaquest14-bluto.jpg

"Just don't forget me, Miss Cinna!"

"Oh, ah, uh. Must have lost my head there. Okay, you two are going to the menagerie.. I suppose we'll down the dark alley to talk to Nemeshtar."

"We'll obviously want to hold off on visiting the Bog, and probably the shoreline as well--no telling how many scorpions we might have to deal with before we find a golden one. And demons.. I haven't even the slightest idea of how we'll find them.. maybe someone'll be selling the dust over at the souk later."

OOC: Whoops, sorry about the delay. I read that DD was going to edit her post, but then got distracted, never saw the thread get a new post for the rest of the day, and didn't pay it any mind. Glad I re-read the last page or so :P

Edited by swils

"We'll obviously want to hold off on visiting the Bog, and probably the shoreline as well--no telling how many scorpions we might have to deal with before we find a golden one.

But think of all the XP! :grin:

The arrangement sounds fine to me. I hope Marmaduc has elephants. I like elephants. :wub:

The arrangement sounds fine to me. I hope Marmaduc has elephants. I like elephants. :wub:

"Well sure, but I'm not one to hog the glory, or the ecks-peas, whatever those are. Sound tasty. Better to go after them as a full group! :laugh: "

"Yes that makes sense, we can split into two groups for talking to the various people. I'll take Bartholomew with me to visit Marmaduc's Menagerie. You, Thormanil, and Bluto can head to another area. Thormanil will be your team leader until we meet up again. Where will your group head first? "

"Very good. May Orang Pendek guide you, Ms. Cinna, and Mr. Docken."

"Oh, ah, uh. Must have lost my head there. Okay, you two are going to the menagerie.. I suppose we'll down the dark alley to talk to Nemeshtar."

"Very well, Mr. Nihai, lead on! Come along, young Master Ziegfried, keep up!"

"Don't forget to search the ceiling!" :grin:

The party decided to split up. While Cinna and Bartholomew headed towards the eastern parts of Salmanda to find the menagerie of a man called Marmaduc, the rest of the party turned right from the Daystar Tower and came into a shadowy alley. The shade was pleasant in the heat of the day, but that was as welcoming as the alley got. Bluto leaned closer to Thothwick and Thormanil.

Three dark figures emerged from the shadows. Two of them carried massive sabres while the third snapped his fingers and a flame appeared on his hand.

heroicaquest14-battlesaracens.jpg

"Good sahibs, I am afraid you have taken a wrong turn somewhere", the flame-wielding man said. "This is the territory of the Saracens, but I would be most willing to direct you to the right way, for just a meagre price."

"Yeah, a meagre but not negotiable price! Guffaw!" one of the sabremen laughed. The other just stood there with a sinister look on his face.

"Oh, be nice to these tourists!" the pyromancer scolded his companion, then turned back to the party. "Just pay us 100 gold and we will show you out of the alley."

"Refuse, and you can stay here - forever, guffaw!" the grinning sabreman said, slashing his blade in the air. The serious man had meanwhile moved behind the party, blocking their way out of the alley.

What would the party do? Pay 100 gold to the Saracens, or face them in battle?

"Well, sirs, even if we were to pool our funds together, my party and I lack the necessary finance your want. I'm sure, if you were to let us pass, we could give you something when we return."

"As my friend mentioned, we haven't got the gold between us to cover yer.. toll. We're not exactly lookin' for trouble, though. Reasonable bunch of men as yourselves, surely we can reach an agreeable alternative to fightin' here, for the young'ns sake?" He nods towards Bluto

The Saracens look at each other.

"I am deeply sorry, sahibs, but I for one have never heard of poor tourists. Get them, men!"

The three thugs assault the party, but Thothwick and Thormanil quickly draw their weapons. Bluto loads his harpoon while blowing a raspberry at the attackers.

PREPARE FOR BATTLE!

heroicaquest14-battlesaracens.jpg

Enemies:

Saracen Sabredancer A

Type: Humanoid

Level: 8

Health: 47/47

Special:
Dance of Blades
– The Sabredancer hits all heroes standing in the attacker’s row for 4 damage each.

Drops: 20 gold, Sabre (WP:8, suitable for knights and rogues)

Saracen Sabredancer B

Special:
Dance of Blades
– The Sabredancer hits all heroes standing in the attacker’s row for 4 damage each.

Saracen Pyromancer

Type: Humanoid, Fiery

Level: 10

Health: 52/52

Special:
Firewall
– Forms an aura of fire around the Pyromancer that causes 5 damage to the next five attackers that score a hit against him.

Drops: 30 gold, Fire Bomb

Party:

6227298131_2a2c036037_t.jpg

Thormanil Nihai
(played by swils) *Party Leader*

Level 11 Barbarian

Power:

Health:
18/18

Gold:

Inventory:
Thundering Shadeaux Axes (WP:6,
lightning-elemental
), Tongue on a Stick (WP:1, Miss>Aim), Dull Greataxe (WP:3), Potion, Pickaxe

ava-thothwick.jpg

Thothwick
(played by Professor Flitwick)

Level 4 Rogue

Power:

Health:
10/10

Gold:

Inventory:
Whip Chain (WP:6), Shuriken (WP:5, ranged), Potion, Remedy Venom, Fire Bomb, Bedroll

heroicaquest14-bluto.jpg

Bluto Ziegfried
(NPC)

Level 5 Dream Sailor

Power:

Health:
5/5

Ether:
5/5

Gold:

Inventory:
Harpoon (WP:3, ranged), Aquamarine (Water)

Party Leader, choose the order of action.

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

Note! If the party loses this battle, they will not fail the quest since the party is split up, but they will lose all the gold that Thothwick and Thormanil have.

OoC: I will return to Cinna and Bartholomew tomorrow.

"Ah well, your loss!"

Order of Action:

Thormanil

Thothwick

Bluto

Thormanil will attack Saracen Sabredancer A from the front row.

"Bluto, let's have you attack Saracen Sabredancer B from the back row row."

Results of Round One of the Saracen Battle:

Thormanil vs. Saracen Sabredancer A - Special Damage

>Thothwick (Shuriken) vs. Saracen Pyromancer - Shield (Mug)

>Bluto vs. Saracen Sabredancer B - Critical Hit

The battle in the dark alley commences. The first Sabredancer performs a Dance of Blades that hurts Thormanil for 4 damage. Thothwick mugs the Pyromancer with the help of his shuriken, causing 19 damage to it and stealing 19 gold in the process. His shuriken must be retrieved before it can be used again, though. Bluto scores a critical hit on the other Sabredancer, dealing 11 damage.

All three enemies still remain.

Enemies:

Saracen Sabredancer A

Special:
Dance of Blades

Saracen Sabredancer B

Health: 36/47

Special:
Dance of Blades

Saracen Pyromancer

Health: 33/52

Special:
Firewall
– Forms an aura of fire around the Pyromancer that causes 5 damage to the next five attackers that score a hit against him.

Party:

Thormanil Nihai

Level 11 Barbarian

Power:

Health:
14/18

Gold:

Inventory:
lightning-elemental

ava-thothwick.jpg

Thothwick

Level 4 Rogue

Power:
10 (9 for ranged attacks)

Health:
10/10

Gold:

Inventory:
Whip Chain (WP:6),
Shuriken (WP:5, ranged)
, Potion, Remedy Venom, Fire Bomb, Bedroll

heroicaquest14-bluto.jpg

Bluto Ziegfried
(NPC)

Level 5 Dream Sailor

Power:

Health:
5/5

Ether:
5/5

Gold:

Inventory:

All of you, choose your targets and the row you want to fight in. Also mention if you want to try to flee, heal or cast a magic spell, or if you want to use an item instead of attacking.

Any enemy not targeted will get a Free Hit on the party after everyone have acted.

Note! If the party loses this battle, they will not fail the quest since the party is split up, but they will lose all the gold that Thothwick and Thormanil have.

Shrugging off the elaborate swordplay, though fancying it to a hit of regular strength, Thormanil finds a moment to encourage the team,

"Great job, keep it up you two! Thoth, if you're gonna go grab your shuriken, I'll brace for a hit from one of the Sabredancers."

Order of Action:

Thormanil

Thothwick

Bluto

"Bluto, you're doing great! Attack Saracen Sabredancer B from the back row row again."

OOC: Sorry for another OOC. I'm about to go to sleep for the night (currently ~1am here). For the sake of keeping things moving, if it's more convenient to have Prof. Flitwick direct actions (I noticed he was active on the thread a fair bit earlier than I was today, and I got up at 7am my time, heh), then you two can feel free to continue with him acting in my stead over the next few hours. I trust him to make good decisions :thumbup: That said, if Thoth is going to retrieve his shuriken, switch my attack to the Pyromancer from the front row, leaving a Sabredancer with the free hit, to spare an extra 2hp of damage.

"Great job, keep it up you two! Thoth, if you're gonna go grab your shuriken, I'll brace for a hit from one of the Sabredancers."

"I'll keep that kind offer in mind for future rounds, but for now, Mr. Nahai, I shall just attack the Saracen Pyromancer from the front row!"

Results of Round Two of the Saracen Battle:

Thormanil vs. Saracen Sabredancer A - Shield (Frenzy)

Thothwick vs. Saracen Pyromancer - Miss

>Bluto vs. Saracen Sabredancer B - Hit

The battle goes on. Thormanil gets into a barbaric frenzy and slashes through the three enemies, causing 18 damage to each of them.Thothwick's attack misses, but Bluto hits the second sabredancer for 8 damage.

All three enemies still remain.

Enemies:

Saracen Sabredancer A

Health: 29/47

Special:
Dance of Blades

Saracen Sabredancer B

Health: 10/47

Special:
Dance of Blades

Saracen Pyromancer

Health: 15/52

Special:
Firewall

Party:

Thormanil Nihai

Level 11 Barbarian

Power:

Health:
14/18

Gold:

Inventory:
lightning-elemental

ava-thothwick.jpg

Thothwick

Level 4 Rogue

Power:
10 (9 for ranged attacks)

Health:
10/10

Gold:

Inventory:
Whip Chain (WP:6),
Shuriken (WP:5, ranged)
, Potion, Remedy Venom, Fire Bomb, Bedroll

heroicaquest14-bluto.jpg

Bluto Ziegfried
(NPC)

Level 5 Dream Sailor

Power:

Health:
5/5

Ether:
5/5

Gold:

Inventory:

"Jolly good show, Mr. Nahai, and you too, young Master Ziegfried! Sorry about my poor aim then chaps, hopefully this time I can use my chain whip to attack Saracen Pyromancer from the front row with better accuracy!"

While the others were fighting off bandits, Cinna and Bartholomew arrived to the menagerie that was kept by a rich man named Marmaduc. There were many families enjoying the exotic cavalcade of caged and penned animals and birds.

heroicaquest14-menagerie.jpg

The two heroes spotted a unicorn further down the path, but as they passed a cage of screaming monkeys, they heard someone calling out inside it.

heroicaquest14-cagedmetasimian.jpg

"Ayiud! Mumbalak athoten nwazu! Yuza Hoptet! Yuza Metasimie!"

At first the heroes thought that their companion Thothwick had been put in a cage, but then they realized it was another Metasimian. The people passing by just laughed at the man's cries, thinking it was an act of an ape. Suddenly someone spoke behind them.

heroicaquest14-marmaduc.jpg

"Welcome, visitors! Do not be scared of that ferocious gorilla, it is in the process of being tamed. You can rest assured that I train all my precious animals myself. But may I say you two look exotic yourself as well! How far have you travelled to see my menagerie?"

It was obvious that the party was faced with Marmaduc himself. How does Cinna and Bartholomew approach the situation?

Order of Action:

Thormanil

Thothwick

Bluto

"Darn, Bluto, you're a natural! Attack Saracen Sabredancer B from the back row row again, show him that you mean business!"

Mr. Marmaduc, I presume? A pleasure to meet you. We come from the island of Uland, and we're here to take a look at the unicorns.