Sign in to follow this  
Captain Blackmoor

Avalonia Trading Company Watchtower

The Avalonia Trading Company proudly presents you the ancient watchtower!

Despite the fact it is over a hundred years old, it holds an important strategic position near the river and the most important trade route. In these hard times it is important for the ATC to maintain safety on the trade routes.

We discovered this old watchtower, and according to the descriptions we had this watchtower was erected in the first era.

As this watchtower already stands for ages, there was no need to build a brand new one. Instead we've restored this place to his former glory, including something fearsome!

This tower might not be the strongest regarding masonry and sturdiness, but its defence weapon destroys all siege equipment on sight in one blow. Thanks to the master forgers of Avalonia, the Avalonia Trading Company has managed to install a cannon in the tower instead of the catapult which had been there before.

I have no idea what Flickr did to the pictures, but the quality became downright terrible. :cry_sad:

6388838633_1c425a20dc_b.jpg

6388786991_3625cf7385_b.jpg

The top floor once had a roof, but now it is an excellent lookout post!

6388787511_3d00d72cba_b.jpg

The interior of the main floor, its in fact a large storeroom with an armory and supplies. Wooden beams replace the stone staircase for the time being.

6388786483_ae98e1ba97_b.jpg

One of the six cannon gates, the cannon can rotate to fire 360 degrees. The shooting range can be adjusted as well by aiming the cannon higher.

6388787819_bd4fc39b25_b.jpg

The cannon room, with three ATC soldiers. Two to operate the cannon, and the tower commander.

By rotating the large wheel you rotate the cannon towards another cannon gate.

6388786707_0061d794f0_b.jpg

The Eastern wall. I haven't included too much foliage, as those plants are being used in another, upcoming Avalonia MOC. :blush:

6388786857_d7e2036e12_b.jpg

And the West wall.

From now on, enemies will think twice before endangering their lifes on the Avalonian trade routes!

Cheers to my fellow guildsmen and allies! The other Avalonia Trading Company building should be up soon. It's big. :devil:

For Avalonia!

It´s so beautiful! The worn look is truly inspiring! It´s packed with little details! Fun that you added such an intresting background to this piece!

I like the fact that you didn´t restored it! That way enemies will think that the tower is abandoned and our guys will have it easier to pick them out!

Great job! Can´t wait until your next moc!

three ATC soldiers? I see at least on Midgardian (normal green arms) in there. Is he an aprentince from the cold north? Dispite that, excellent tower, I really love what the pirater mocers come up with here in the historic section!!

Edited by kabel

I like it I think my favorite part is how you show the interior and it looks great, the beams connecting the tower and the inner working bits. It's one thing to make a good looking tower, but to have it function and have an interior is an accomplishment.

Vert nicely done Captain Blackmoor!

I have no idea what Flickr did to the pictures, but the quality became downright terrible. :cry_sad:

IF you are referring to the blurriness of some of the pictures, I don't think it is Flickr. From the looks of it, it is actually the way you shot the pictures that make them look weird. Your focus is linking on very crisp to one or two blocks or elements, pushing the rest out of focus. This is usually caused with a lens with good depth of field (are you using a DSLR?) and being too close to the object you are taking a picture of. I would step back a couple feet and use your zoom. Lego is hard to capture just right...

Anyway, I love this tower. It is very reminiscent of some of the WoW towers, and I really like that it has that broken down look. I guess I enjoy that it is something different from all these pristine looking new towers. Also, I like the cannon room - that is a very interesting looking contraption to control the movement of the cannon.

Looks great Blackmoor!

I've been waiting to see this one for a while. It fits in perfectly with Avalonia, though of course with a piratey flair.

The cannon holder design is very interesting, may I ask was this based off of anything or just what looked good?

Overall I love it. Although I think the ATC may be in need of some money. :laugh:

We still know/see your roots, captain!

But the result looks perfect.

The ruined look is so simple to do many think of.

Nice mixture of colours for the wall.

for avalonia mate

Phil

Looks great Captain! Really love the old worn/ruined look that you have achieved :thumbup: I've always believed that pirate moccers make great castle moccers and it seems a lot of our Avalonian members are proving that. Well done, hope to see more from you

The Avalonia Trading Company thanks you all for the fantastic feedback. :cry_happy:

It´s so beautiful! The worn look is truly inspiring! It´s packed with little details! Fun that you added such an intresting background to this piece!

I like the fact that you didn´t restored it! That way enemies will think that the tower is abandoned and our guys will have it easier to pick them out!

Great job! Can´t wait until your next moc!

Thank you de Gothia! It was great fun to build it too, something different is always cool to try.

My other MOC is nearly done, but pictures will be here over a week or so, as I'm out of town then. :blush:

Excellent watchtower, guildsman! Loving the time-worn look.

It has been placed on the map!

Awesome! :thumbup:

Very nice! The ruined look is quite effective.

Thank you rucorder! :classic:

Looks realy cool :thumbup:

Thanks Hersbrucker! :classic:

Wow! The tower is great. There are so many unusual connections. :classic:

Unusual connections indeed, I had a hard time to built it according to the plan I had. :tongue:

three ATC soldiers? I see at least on Midgardian (normal green arms) in there. Is he an aprentince from the cold north? Dispite that, excellent tower, I really love what the pirater mocers come up with here in the historic section!!

Three ATC soldiers. One wears this torso:

973px135c01.jpg?0

In my opinion a typical tradesman torso. Despite the fact indeed it's in the Midgardian colours, I wish the torso was there in dark green as well!

And thank you kabel for your kind words. :classic:

I like it I think my favorite part is how you show the interior and it looks great, the beams connecting the tower and the inner working bits. It's one thing to make a good looking tower, but to have it function and have an interior is an accomplishment.

Vert nicely done Captain Blackmoor!

I have put a lot of effort in there indeed, I'm glad it turned out very well! :thumbup:

Thank you very much BC!

IF you are referring to the blurriness of some of the pictures, I don't think it is Flickr. From the looks of it, it is actually the way you shot the pictures that make them look weird. Your focus is linking on very crisp to one or two blocks or elements, pushing the rest out of focus. This is usually caused with a lens with good depth of field (are you using a DSLR?) and being too close to the object you are taking a picture of. I would step back a couple feet and use your zoom. Lego is hard to capture just right...

Anyway, I love this tower. It is very reminiscent of some of the WoW towers, and I really like that it has that broken down look. I guess I enjoy that it is something different from all these pristine looking new towers. Also, I like the cannon room - that is a very interesting looking contraption to control the movement of the cannon.

I'm not the best photographer all round, but the image on my computer appears sharper and less grainy before uploading to an external gallery. But indeed, LEGO is very hard to capture!

I'm glad to see you like my tower as well, it's indeed something different. :classic:

Looks great Blackmoor!

I've been waiting to see this one for a while. It fits in perfectly with Avalonia, though of course with a piratey flair.

The cannon holder design is very interesting, may I ask was this based off of anything or just what looked good?

Overall I love it. Although I think the ATC may be in need of some money. :laugh:

ATC is one of the wealthiest companies of Avalonia, we just spend it wisely. :tongue:

The cannon position is based on my imagination. Though the cannon should be functional (rotating, adjusting firing range etc) I really wanted these mechanisms as crude as possible. Now we have chains and wooden gears all round. :sweet:

We still know/see your roots, captain!

But the result looks perfect.

The ruined look is so simple to do many think of.

Nice mixture of colours for the wall.

for avalonia mate

Phil

Thanks maydayartist! Indeed, my roots are visible here now and then. :tongue:

I'm pretty proud of my wall, as it's in fact such a simple concept. Mixing old looking colours, leaving gaps, stick foliage to it..

I'm glad you like it! :thumbup:

It's awesome! I love the shape. You got the old, wore out, crumbling look down perfectly. Your pics are fine. LEGO is hard to get good focus on.

Thank you Captain BeerBeard! :sweet:

Looks great Captain! Really love the old worn/ruined look that you have achieved :thumbup: I've always believed that pirate moccers make great castle moccers and it seems a lot of our Avalonian members are proving that. Well done, hope to see more from you

Thank you DC! I'm glad you like it. :sweet:

And yes, you will see more of the Company soon enough! After I've spend a week in Wales. :blush: The Avalonia Trading Company goes on a business trip!

Again, thank you very much. :classic:

I'm loving the way the canon turns! :thumbup:

Thank you Ecclesiastes! :thumbup:

Good MOC. The cannon looks much stronger with that structure around it.

You also gave it a nice ruined look, but still capture that feeling of a tower that used to be new and powerful.