Hollander

(LDD MOC) A-wing

gallery_101_23_281.gif

Still no room to store my lego at home, so I'll stick to the digital creations in the meantime. Even though I'm getting a little tired of converting all my idea's in MOC's with LDD, I was still motivated enough to contribute to the current community build. Let's just hope I can make something out of real bricks again, before the deadline of the next community build.

So, this time I'd make an A-wing. I gained a lot of inspiration from this version, which was also posted here on EB, if I remember correctly. My version has the same sort of front edge, including the 1x4 curved bricks at the side, and the use of pilons at the front. I tried to prevent ''floating bricks'', but I couldn't resist to let the pilons float, as the illegal way I could attach them in real, is not optional in LDD. Unfortunate. All the other bricks are attached to each other, so when modified slightly, this could be build in real.

I didn't count the hours the build of this A-wing took, but I estimate it around 10-12. If you want more pictures or the lxf. file, feel free to ask.

fadfrs.png

Looks very nice and smooth. You spent a bit of time on this one :wink: compaired to your first Y-Wing that took if I remender correctly about 2 hours :tongue: . Keep it up. :thumbup:

Edited by wokajablocka

This is lovely Hollander, I love the cockpit interior :sweet:. Is it to scale with your Y-Wing?

Thanks for the feedback guys!

This is lovely Hollander, I love the cockpit interior :sweet:. Is it to scale with your Y-Wing?

The A-wing is 9.6 meters according to wookieepedia, and the Y-wing around 16 meters, so it's not the same scale. However, it might be a neat idea to create a UCS A-wing.. :classic:

The A-wing is 9.6 meters according to wookieepedia, and the Y-wing around 16 meters, so it's not the same scale. However, it might be a neat idea to create a UCS A-wing.. :classic:

According to Wookieepedia the TIE Advanced x1 is larger than it is in the film because the film never said it couldn't be, and the Essential Guide schematics aren't wrong because the films don't "specifically state the particulars". See what kind of screwball logic they're using? :laugh:

Going off the head of the pilot figure used in the model, the A-wing is actually around 4.8m long. That being said, Jerrec's (and yours) looks to be to scale with minifigures, but only because the head of a minifigure is larger in proportion to its body than that of an actual person.

*Snip*

Do you have the OT craft parked in your back garden or something :grin:?

Try a in-scale UCS set of A X Y and B Wings next Hollander :wink:.

Was there one rebel squadron that had all 4 in?

It's taken from the Star Wars Technical Journal. :wink:

There aren't very many UCS X-wings out there, so that would be a very interesting project to see.

Oh, and to continue from my last post, here's how one Trekkie put it:

It should also be noted that Warsie factions like to use a completely made-up policy ("logical extrapolation by us") in case of conflict between Canon and non-canon "official" material. They have crafted a criteria of contradiction wherein something non-canon must be specifically contradicted by the canon in order to be considered false, and that the falsehood only exists "on that point". For example, a numeral in the non-canon must be contradicted by a different numeral in the canon, or else they claim there is no contradiction, even if the situation is something like "a handful" versus "1.7 billion". The idea is perhaps best stated by Mike Wong (where he claims it is "Lucasfilms Licensing's official position"): "The movies are true Star Wars, but the books still count as a secondary source, whenever they are not directly contradicted by the movies (and contradictions can be harder to prove than you think; what seems like an irreconcilable contradiction to you might be solved in an eyeblink by somebody else, so don't get cocky)."

This concept not only has no basis in the Canon Policy, but it is a direct violation of the spirit of the Canon, and the Canon Policy.

Whoa very cool! :thumbup: You did a great job with this one as well. I'd like to see the .lxf file if you don't mind. You do a good job in LDD.

Whoa very cool! :thumbup: You did a great job with this one as well. I'd like to see the .lxf file if you don't mind. You do a good job in LDD.

Thanks MB. Here you go: .lxf I only changed the dark bley for black, and the canopy from transparant to transparant brown.

Try a in-scale UCS set of A X Y and B Wings next Hollander :wink:.

Was there one rebel squadron that had all 4 in?

I was thinking about that too; designing both the A, B, X and Y-wing in LDD, but then I'll make them minifigure scale, instead of UCS.

Edited by Hollander

Nice Hollander! Love the look. Just got around to opening the Tantive IV you sent, thanks! Keep up the amazing creations!

I just posted the lxf. file for the A-wing, so if you want to have this one too... :classic:

Excellent LDD creation 'Hollander', intending on ever building it for real in the future ? :wink:

LDD On 'Hollander' ! :wink:

Well, I have cleaned my room today and thrown away a lot stuff I didn't need anymore (boxes of lego and model kits, and lots of other things) I also have a new bed with drawers below which I'm going to fill with wooden containers (my mum has a workshop) to store my lego in. Anyway, I was planning to place a larger bricklink order soon, and wo knows.. maybe I'm going to turn one of my LDD creations in real. If I'll do that, I make sure to keep you guys up-to-date.

This is an excellent piece of work! I love how you have captured the curves of it.

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

Thanks for blogging! I really feel obligated to contribute some ''real'' MOC's soon... After all, it is better than those digital stuff, right? :blush:

After all, it is better than those digital stuff, right? :blush:

I personally think so, but you've proven that LDD can be used to make great work as well. I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm not a fan of A-Wings but you've done a good job of recreating one in Lego (or Digital Lego) here. :thumbup: It would be nice to see more angles though.

The beauty of LDD is that it offers a wonderful test environment and actually throws up many of the mental challenges of real bricks, except you get the added bonus of not being limited by your collection. In the end though, real bricks are always better. :wink:

Greak work, Hollander. :thumbup: That's one of the models that I thought could never be successfully built in LDD the way Jerac did, but I'm happy to find out that I've been proven wrong.

That is why I usually just trust Fallen when it comes to accuracy critiques. :laugh:

Greak work, Hollander. :thumbup: That's one of the models that I thought could never be successfully built in LDD the way Jerac did, but I'm happy to find out that I've been proven wrong.

Thanks Doc. :classic:

What I found hard about this build, was to let the pilons connect to the ''hood'' of the A-wing (the dark gray part). Making a very curved vehicle all smooth with a minimum of gaps is hard in real, but particular in LDD. Not to mention that a lot of connections require illegal building manners, which are not available in LDD.

As an a-wing fan, I love your version. Your technique for attaching the top stabilizers intrigues me, because I've never been able to get that right with plates turned sideways. Also, the pieces used on your engines are something I may need to look into. Thanks for posting this! :sweet:

As an a-wing fan, I love your version. Your technique for attaching the top stabilizers intrigues me, because I've never been able to get that right with plates turned sideways. Also, the pieces used on your engines are something I may need to look into. Thanks for posting this! :sweet:

Thanks Churchill. :sweet:

The only inaccurate part of the stabilizers is that they should bend a little inward, as can be seen here. I feel more and more like I should make this in real, tomorrow I have some money again, and with access to Bricklink... who knows that the future will bring us... :classic:

The only inaccurate part of the stabilizers is that they should bend a little inward, as can be seen here.

Those are just the Essential Guide schematics. Use this instead. :wink:

Edited by fallenangel309

I can see that you have the stabilizers attached with a technic pin. Forgive me for not being able to describe the exact pieces... how did you make the 90 degree angle?

I can see that you have the stabilizers attached with a technic pin. Forgive me for not being able to describe the exact pieces... how did you make the 90 degree angle?

The fins on the back attached to the 4x4 round brick with the four Technic holes? LDD should initially attach them at that angle if you've already got the fin rotated the right way before you attach it. If not, you can always just rotate it with the Hinge Tool.