Darth Nihilus

Monster Fighters 2012

Oh! these images just sold me on multiple sets! And here I was thinking only Lego Star Wars interested me, now they've gone and all but taken more of my money on a new theme!

Definitely the ghost train set, it just looks fantastically fun! That sea creature one most definitely, and the zombie one too! That sea creature could be used in a Captain Scarlet moc... ooh... ideas coming now.... =O

This whole theme seems to have hit the spot for being creative and enticing. Atlantis just seemed a rehash of the previous underwater explorer theme, the Dino theme seems like its Jurassic park and well, too long overdue and missed the whole JP era. PQ was refreshing but just seemed too bland for me. But this, who can resist Halloweeny kinda stuff?!

That face on the front of the ghost train really makes me :sick: . That being said, I'll still buy the set and all the others. :laugh: The steampunk plane in the ghost set really entices me...

I don't know who Captain Scarlett is, but the Green Monster is an almost exact replica of my favorite movie monster: Creature From the Black Lagoon, in all its 1954 cheesiness. Definitely getting that. The only set I'm not sold on is the Mummy Chariot. Mummy? Again? Really? But, I know I'm kicking an undead horse on that topic. :tongue:

Plus, since I have a pompadour, the guy on the swamp boat is necessary for my sigfig. :laugh:

Not bad series. I really like the hunters. The sets are ok to me right now. I may get them once I get them in my hands. I like the zombie graveyard set, it could work in a city layout, minus the jewel.

I certainly agree with you, another wave would be wonderful. However, this is one of bi-annual action themes, and so, like PQ, Dino, and AC before it, will probably be over within six months of its release, when another new theme rolls around...

This is way better than those themes though. Pharaoh's Quest was cool, but the storyline as set forth by the theme title was completely resolved with one wave of sets. With this theme, the title sets forth so many possibilities, and so defeating Dracula/the vampire doesn't mean the theme has to end. Plus, the trend of action themes lasting only one wave seems to be relatively recent. Atlantis, Agents, and Power Miners all lasted several waves. If Monster Fighters sells well, I am sure they will considering doing more sets next year.

My only hesitation is that I don't see where the theme could go from here. They're used up almost every monster already. Unless they're okay with re-issues, what's left? Witches and scarecrows maybe? I don't see much room for expansion.

There's so much more they can still do with the theme. In addition to witches and scarecrows, there could also be a pumpkinhead/headless horseman (or both), goblins, ghouls, banshees, and of course the Witch Doctor (and more zombies!). In fact a second wave in 2013 with the Witch Doctor as the main villain and zombies in more sets, plus some with witches, a headless horseman, and banshees would have plenty of variety and potential for set designs.

Then you've got other Universal Movie Monsters like the family of Frankenstein, The Hunchback of Notre Damne and The Phantom of The Opera??? (*copyright* cough cough) And we could reuse some from Monster 4 like the Scarecrow or just a new pumpkin monster (like the headless horseman) and the devil Red Monster and maybe trolls and skeletons but those have been done in LEGO before (actually classic skeletons would be pretty cool). Plus the witches, Scarecrows, Voodoo Doctor and some rehashes. Is that strong enough for a second wave?

Skeletons are another cool idea. They're probably one of the most iconic Halloween "monsters," maybe second to ghosts. Yeah, LEGO has done stuff with skeletons recently in Ninjago and Fantasy Era Castle, but not much with the classic "dangly arms" skeletons (I hope I'm not alone in preferring those old-style skeletons to the new, poseable-arm ones). They could either use those or make another new kind of skeleton. Oh, and what about a Grim Reaper/Death character? Sure, we had a version of him in Fantasy Era, but there was no real backstory behind him.

So lets see, Voodoo Doctor = main villain = at least 2 sets that would likely also feature zombies.

Grim Reaper, Witches, Headless Horseman, Scarecrows, Banshees, Skeletons = 6 more sets. Plenty of material for at least one more wave.

There's so much more they can still do with the theme. In addition to witches and scarecrows, there could also be a pumpkinhead/headless horseman (or both), goblins, ghouls, banshees, and of course the Witch Doctor (and more zombies!). In fact a second wave in 2013 with the Witch Doctor as the main villain and zombies in more sets, plus some with witches, a headless horseman, and banshees would have plenty of variety and potential for set designs.

Skeletons are another cool idea. They're probably one of the most iconic Halloween "monsters," maybe second to ghosts. Yeah, LEGO has done stuff with skeletons recently in Ninjago and Fantasy Era Castle, but not much with the classic "dangly arms" skeletons (I hope I'm not alone in preferring those old-style skeletons to the new, poseable-arm ones). They could either use those or make another new kind of skeleton. Oh, and what about a Grim Reaper/Death character? Sure, we had a version of him in Fantasy Era, but there was no real backstory behind him.

So lets see, Voodoo Doctor = main villain = at least 2 sets that would likely also feature zombies.

Grim Reaper, Witches, Headless Horseman, Scarecrows, Banshees, Skeletons = 6 more sets. Plenty of material for at least one more wave.

Would adding in a Devil character be too blasphemous? They managed to get away with it in Monster 4 under the name "Red Monster". He could have a similar devil head, horns headpiece, cape, pitchfork and centaur legs, maybe.

Also, if the old Collectable Minifig Zombie originally came from a graveyard, and is an enemy in the Monster Fighters mini-games online, does that mean in story he originally came from the Monster Fighters Graveyard where all the other Zombies are?

Edited by TomRoid

Bogeyman, Banshee, Demon, Goblin, Mud monster, Wraith, Siren, Harpy, Headless horseman, Witch, Troll, Gremlin. All good for a monster line up. Even Elf, Imp, Brownie and Pixie can be seen as monsters depending on your source. Folklore had them all as bad characters and it's only fairly recently in historical terms that the latter have been given nicer sides to their characters.

The problem lies in giving the second wave a plot. Once you've collected all the crystals and stopped the Vampire's plan to take over the world how do you top that? Only place I can think of that the monster fighters could go is underground. Into the dark realm. And as for the 'red monster' issue, If it's just shown as a demon and not red then I don't see why it couldn't be included. I wouldn't go with black either. I'd go with dark tan and some sort of mottled print in dark green or dark purple. Or if it's underground then really pale. Underground creatures in the real world tend to be lacking in colour.

That said I think in all honesty there won't be a second wave.

I think the swamp monster may be the coolest minifig ever made. I remember dressing up as one at least three times when I was a kid for Halloween. I'm glad it's in the smallest set so I can cheaply get multiples.

I would like to chime in with what some of the others said. Don't get your hopes up about a second wave. It seems pretty unlikely, although it would be awesome.

And I want at least two boxes of the Zombie set. :wub:

I think the problem with a second wave is that, although there are a lot of monsters to choose from that havn't been explored yet, there are no moew well known monsters. Think about it, when a kid sees a vampire or a werewolf, they get it. When a kid sees a banshee or an imp, they won't really care all to much. There may be witches and a voodoo doctor, but still not enough substance for an entire 2nd wave. I don't see a lot of potential to carry into a second wave. Besides, this wave is awesome enough for me! :classic:

Either way, I'm going to have to get my hands on some of these when they're released!

I think the problem with a second wave is that, although there are a lot of monsters to choose from that havn't been explored yet, there are no moew well known monsters. Think about it, when a kid sees a vampire or a werewolf, they get it. When a kid sees a banshee or an imp, they won't really care all to much. There may be witches and a voodoo doctor, but still not enough substance for an entire 2nd wave. I don't see a lot of potential to carry into a second wave. Besides, this wave is awesome enough for me! :classic:

Yeah, exactly. Sure, there ARE more monsters to choose from, but not many of them have the brand equity of Frankenstein and Dracula. Although a headless horseman would be pretty cool.

It's too early to be talking about the next wave anyway. Personally, I'm finding myself increasingly impressed by the mad scientist and werewolf set (previously my two least favorites!). I don't know exactly what they changed about them, but they look great! I have no idea how I'm going to budget for this AND Lord of the Rings... but crazier things have happened. :laugh:

Just received the May-June magazine and the magazine has the monsters placed everywhere in the magazine. Pretty cool!

-Sci

I really think this theme has a lot that will be going for it. For one, it has a really favorable building style. The creative aspects and the playful aspects are both key elements that make up a good LEGO theme. The building elements are also nice. I personally love all the minifigures, and the sets are outstanding. I like that we are getting a story for this theme, as it appears. The only thing that I hope is that the story stays strong, and is an important factor in the sets' designs and features. That's a problem that a lot of unlicensed actions themes appear to have, though it seems to be doing better now with Ninjago.

Looks interesting. Lots of great minifigs and parts (glow in the dark stuff :cry_happy: ), but the sets themselves don't really seem all that great to me (I suppose few of the recent non-AFOL targetted set designs have though), but I'll still get them for the parts and figs (if I have any money left over after LOTR and the other stuff this year)

The hunters look too much like bad guys and the monsters too innocent looking on the boxes. Just my opinion.

Am I alone in hoping against glow in the dark ghosts? They look ugly imo and set me off of the train...

stuff

Dangly arms would be rather difficult to pose and play with though, wouldn't they?

Don't think we'll get a second wave but I would love to see a bride of Frankenstein and more zombies! Maybe a bride in the CMF?

I love this theme. The size of the hammer on that truck is hilariously awesome.

Today I was in Lego Store in Munchen and this set can be normally bought. Price is 40 or 50 euro (I forgot) and they also have one assembled in glass cube. It looks nice, but unfortunately I had other priorities (new lego hospital and some mining sets were also on sale)

Edited by Cwetqo

Today I was in Lego Store in Munchen and this set can be normally bought. Price is 40 or 50 euro (I forgot) and they also have one assembled in glass cube. It looks nice, but unfortunately I had other priorities (new lego hospital and some mining sets were also on sale)

Same here in Saarbrücken! But they only have the Big Castle and that new Graveyard set...

Trolls are not monsters imo. They could make imps maybe, they aren't too demonic, they are cute. :P

The trolls from the Monster 4 game were meant to be generic green monsters, or the creature from the black lagoon pictured on the cover. I too doubt we'd see trolls in a second wave of Monster Fighters.

Bogeyman, Banshee, Demon, Goblin, Mud monster, Wraith, Siren, Harpy, Headless horseman, Witch, Troll, Gremlin.

The problem lies in giving the second wave a plot. Once you've collected all the crystals and stopped the Vampire's plan to take over the world how do you top that? Only place I can think of that the monster fighters could go is underground. Into the dark realm.

That said I think in all honesty there won't be a second wave.

You forgot the Medusa and ghost captain we saw in the design sketches. I don't see why going underground would be a logical continuation of the theme. There's always the possibility that an evil witch could take up the slack. Or a grim reaper type. Or that Voodoo Doctor! Also I doubt anything called a demon would ever get made by TLC.

Am I alone in hoping against glow in the dark ghosts? They look ugly imo and set me off of the train...

I like the glow in the dark. I actually think that the new mold makes them look creepier. They're now unhappy specters. I would have loved it if they were using this as opposed to the minifig legs.

Don't think we'll get a second wave but I would love to see a bride of Frankenstein.

That would make a great set! Or a CMF. :sweet:

Same here in Saarbrücken! But they only have the Big Castle and that new Graveyard set...

Yes! They're coming out! I'm so excited!

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Damn, how can these be in stores already? It's not even May.. I thought these weren't coming out for another couple of months??

I like the glow in the dark. I actually think that the new mold makes them look creepier. They're now unhappy specters. I would have loved it if they were using this as opposed to the minifig legs.

Believe me, I love the mold. I just want classic bedsheet ghosts, not some half green things.

Believe me, I love the mold. I just want classic bedsheet ghosts, not some half green things.

:sick: No, of course not green! I mean the piece, not the color! I'd want it in white or glow in the dark naturally.

Does anyone what know what system, (If any) That train goes with? I don't know very much about trains.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Edited by Dannylonglegs

:sick: No, of course not green! I mean the piece, not the color! I'd want it in white or glow in the dark naturally.

Does anyone what know what system, (If any) That train goes with? I don't know very much about trains.

~Insectoid Aristocrat

I have a good collection of glow in the dark, and when not glowing they're a horrid shade of bren.