Sign in to follow this  
Captain Roger

Shifty and other imitations

well...i have seen in this forum there are a chinese company who copies LEGO sets, change some details and release them. The quality of the pieces is worse and there are some design mistakes...for example, the imperial soldiers and guards of Pirates theme haven't got epaulettes and Knights have cowboy hats :-D

But despite of that details, they are a good imitation in other things like minifigs, pieces and other accesories.

I have searched in google about that imitation but i don't find nothing...my questions are:

-When shifty was founded?I remember seeing lego imitations in the early 90s but i don't remember the company.

-When can i look a shifty catalogue?I'd like to see how many sets there are.

-how many lego imitators there are? i don't mean mega blocks for example because they are really different to LEGO...i mean something like shifty...and i think Knock off is something like shifty...isn't it?

Hope see your replies

-how many lego imitators there are? i don't mean mega blocks for example because they are really different to LEGO...i mean something like shifty...and i think Knock off is something like shifty...isn't it?

Hope see your replies

I'm sure there's tons of knockoff companies, too many for us to list to even scratch the surface. :-D

Lego's done pretty well in Western countries at teaming up with law enforcement to get rid of flat-out bootlegs of their products.

So there's really no "established" Lego pirates, not in the long term anyway.

But companies like Megablocks are fairly rampant. One that comes to mind is Blocko, who's REALLY pushing it with their minor resculptings of Bionicle Technic parts. They dabble in system as well.

http://www.blocko.com.cn/chanpin/zhongjizh...ngjizhanshi.asp

Outside of America, "Tente" is another example of something similar, but not completely emulating Lego.

Edited by JINZONINGEN 73

Well...i know Tente and Megablocks but they aren't lego imitators like shifty...i am talking about companies which are dedicated to copy TLC

While on the subject of imitations I found some Best-Lock sets in ASDA uk today they were sat on the shelves next to the Lego.

They did not look great quality but they were cheap *n*

While on the subject of imitations I found some Best-Lock sets in ASDA uk today they were sat on the shelves next to the Lego.

They did not look great quality but they were cheap *n*

Best-Lock appears to be marketing directly against the Lego style of product, unlike MegaBloks. For those unaware, the company reorganized and merged with Cobi of Poland, and is apparently producing licensed copies of Oxford of Korea's products, as well as Cobi products both Cobi branded (on the studs) and labeless (on the studs). Best-Lock has abandoned its old line of product, which did not conform to Lego standard dimensions, and is now using the exact Lego ldu proportions in its line. In the U.S.A., they've issued military and city lines under the Best-Lock label and also do a store brand "JustKidz" line for the K-Mart chain, an economy department store chain that also owns Sears and the Land's End clothing concern. While they've defeated Lego in court in many cases, they seem to be acknowledging Lego's 2 by 4 brick as proprietory. You will not find a 2 by 4 brick in any Best-Lock prouduct.

Iclpete: that link is to the old style best-lock, which is now only collector's items. The company has not yet updated their website to reflect the new lines and new elements that are fully lego compatible.

What I'd like to see is Oxford sets available. Oxford resembles Lego of the 80's, and besides the equivalent of the core Lego themes, they have done specifically Asian and Korean sets, such as Korean palaces and Buddhist temples and monasteries. Oxford on their site it complaining about the same things Lego does, cheap knock off's of their products being made in China.

Iclpete: that link is to the old style best-lock, which is now only collector's items. The company has not yet updated their website to reflect the new lines and new elements that are fully lego compatible.

What I'd like to see is Oxford sets available. Oxford resembles Lego of the 80's, and besides the equivalent of the core Lego themes, they have done specifically Asian and Korean sets, such as Korean palaces and Buddhist temples and monasteries. Oxford on their site it complaining about the same things Lego does, cheap knock off's of their products being made in China.

can you give me a link to their website. I don't mind stuff made by other companies as long as the quality is the same and don't have any action figures like mega blocks has

I believe the company's name is "Enlighten", the chinese rip-off. There was actually a lawsuit. Lego won, I think, over copyright info. It was pretty interesting. Keep looking on the web for more info, I found a whole bunch. Sellers on eBay have sold those imitations before, I almost got tricked into buying one. They can't fool me! ;-)