Brickdoctor

[MOC] Trebuchet Emplacement

6347907539_0fe3e95c75_b.jpg

Despite the introduction of crude gunpowder-based artillery by rival guilds, the mainstay of the Avalonian army's arsenal of siege engines remains the reliable trebuchet.

6348658714_2401bf37e3_b.jpg

It is a bit on the small side, but I wanted it to fit on the 24x24 base. This is one of the smaller support trebuchets, which would be used to take out men on the walls or lob small bombs and the like into enemy fortifications, as opposed to actually knocking down walls. Yes, it moves. No, it doesn't shoot. I went for looks instead of functionality, and the counterweight isn't heavy enough to generate the amount of force fast enough to whip the sling around, and if it was, I doubt the frame would hold it up.

6348659156_26bb5b6b26_b.jpg

Pikemen are positioned near the trebuchets to guard against an enemy cavalry strike.

6348659626_9f9b13c28e_b.jpg

The commander of the emplacement waits while his crew prepares for the next shot.

6347909583_9f4f75c2f6_b.jpg

While his peasant assistant helps him hold down the arm, the master engineer loads a stone into the sling.

Finished November 2011, C&C welcome. Thanks for looking! :classic:

Good work! Can I be the next Siege Master??

Sorry. timura volunteered yesterday, and I just gave him the job.

Great work Doc, this is the kind of MOC I like seeing. I've always wanted to build a Trebuchet but I've never gotten to it. :thumbup:

Excellent work Brickdocter! This looks awesome and very well made. I love the base and how you have made the trebuchet the main focus rather then adding in a lot of extras. Great display. Avalonia will be a formidable force with plenty of these. You have definitely set the standard for the Siege Expert task and well worth of your title. Well done :thumbup:

AWESOME work my fellow Avalonian defender, great designing there, but where are the heads of our enemies to lob back at them eh ? :devil:Avalonia Forever !

I know we are in rival guilds, but I can appreciate a fantastic piece of work when I see one. This is just that! Wonderful build. I would love to see some more pics of this, it truly is amazing.

Excellent work, Brickdoctor! I imagine a fleet of these babies rumbling across the countryside, ready to take down our enemies! For Avalonia!

Excellent work Brickdocter! This looks awesome and very well made. I love the base and how you have made the trebuchet the main focus rather then adding in a lot of extras. Great display. Avalonia will be a formidable force with plenty of these. You have definitely set the standard for the Siege Expert task and well worth of your title. Well done :thumbup:

Thanks. :classic: I took a short (1 year) art class a couple years ago, so I picked up a couple things about focal point and the like from it that I've tried to apply to my MOCs.

AWESOME work my fellow Avalonian defender, great designing there, but where are the heads of our enemies to lob back at them eh ? :devil:Avalonia Forever !

I considered that, as well as earthen balls to shatter on impact, burning shells to set fire to enemies or explode, and dead animals to spread disease, but I couldn't find my other grey heads to create a stockpile of stone ammo, which there would be the most of, so I just went with the one shot and decided to assume there was an ammo dump somewhere nearby, out of the area of the bignette.

I know we are in rival guilds, but I can appreciate a fantastic piece of work when I see one. This is just that! Wonderful build. I would love to see some more pics of this, it truly is amazing.

Thanks. :classic: I'll try to get some more pics up later.

Excellent work, Brickdoctor! I imagine a fleet of these babies rumbling across the countryside, ready to take down our enemies! For Avalonia!

Thanks. :classic: This isn't a wheeled trebuchet, but with a good team of engineers and wagons to carry the wooden beams, they could very well rumble across the land!

So beuatiful!!! I just love it! The snotted frame around it is perfect!

Where did you get inspiration? This is a thing that I wanted to build for a long time!

Wow! I really like the pulley system; makes it look like it could really work!

So beuatiful!!! I just love it! The snotted frame around it is perfect!

Where did you get inspiration? This is a thing that I wanted to build for a long time!

Thanks. :classic:

I worked off these two images, from Wikipedia, though I had to simplify the ropes, since I only had two pieces of LEGO black string available at the moment.

:drool: trebuchets... I love machines that can launch projectiles or smash stuff, although it's a shame that yours can't.

Looks great, mate - and I like the usage of the hood as the sling pouch.