Sign in to follow this  
Tomik

Buildinst - instructions for alternate models

I'd like to introduce you my web buildinst that offers building instructions for unofficial alternative models built from Lego sets. It was started in April 2011 and up to date it offers instructions for 21 alternate models built from 6 different sets and I still work on adding new ones. You can find for example formula built from set 8041, telehandler built from set 8052, helicopter built from set 8048 and dachshund built from set 4916 and others there. Web is operated in English and Czech. So let’s go building and if you wanna add any comment, don’t hesitate and write it here.

logo200.gif

I'd like to notify you of last buildinst update. I haven't attached any new building instruction but I've added few new features:

- gallery of alternative models

- links to discussion forums

- downloading building instructions for Technic alternates in PDF with new front pages

Any comments are welcomed.

I'd like to wish you marry Christmas and happy new year in name of buildinst. I also prepaired little present for you - building instruction for plane built from set 8068.

pf2012prev.gif

Building instruction for tyrannosaur built out of set 8048 is available at buildinst now.

8048_model_8-6-tyrannosaur.jpg

Buildinst celebrates its 1st birthday today and now it offers you 29 building instructions for alternates built out of 9 different sets including new motor boat built out of set 8068.

8068_model_2-9-motor_boat.jpg

Thank you for wishing happy birthday to buildinst. I am happy that you like this web site and I already work on another instruction. So you can look forward.

Happy birthday, I will sign up to your website,

It should help me get ideas to build MOCs or to fix problems.

Edited by SNIPE

Nice site. I like the design and layout. It's easy to find the things you want.

Also some great instructions you have there. I know someone who has the Technic helicopter 8068 and might have it assembled right now. I'll notify her of the instructions. Do the custom alternatives use the parts that come as spare in the original set?

By the way, if I may give a suggestion: maybe you should try contacting other people who have created alternative models you deem good enough, and ask if you can include those on your website. If they don't have clear instructions you could even ask them if they want to create them. If you do this and your website collects more and more content, this might become a very valuable resource!

AWESOME.

I asked this question a while back(alternate model for arc starfighter)

You might not have it(I havent checked yet)but this idea is a good one!

Thank you all for your comments! I was interested too much in TSATS contest last days that I forgot to answer your questions :blush: so let me do it now.

I will go sign up...do you intend to do alternate instructions for older Castle Alternatives?

I don't plan this. I am interested mostly in Technic and little bit in Creator and I don't own any Castle set...

Nice site. I like the design and layout. It's easy to find the things you want.

Also some great instructions you have there. I know someone who has the Technic helicopter 8068 and might have it assembled right now. I'll notify her of the instructions. Do the custom alternatives use the parts that come as spare in the original set?

By the way, if I may give a suggestion: maybe you should try contacting other people who have created alternative models you deem good enough, and ask if you can include those on your website. If they don't have clear instructions you could even ask them if they want to create them. If you do this and your website collects more and more content, this might become a very valuable resource!

Yes, I mostly use spare parts - especially bushes and pins. I thought about adding alternates built by other builders but I don't have enough time to do it... :sad: Buildinst is still one-man project and update with mostly one instruction once a month is all what I can do now. If there is anyone who would like to help me with this project they are welcomed. Right now I'd appreciate someone with coding in PHP skills to make updating faster and easier.

I hope you do find a helper, because this sure is one hell of a good site. I love looking round and seeing all the alternate models you can make. You have done a great job and I look forward to seeing more of it from you!

I've just added new instruction for scooter built out of set 8048.

Hi, i just came across your post, you have some amazing ALTs. The hot rod looks awesome, can't wait to try it out. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to what you come up with next.

Thank you for replies! There is new instruction for RC hot rod built out of set 8041 and necesary PF parts at buildinst.

There is new building instruction for bulldozer built out of set 42006 available on buildinst! Besides this I'd like to ask you to fill short survey that will help me with improving buildinst in future.

42006-001.jpg

Hi Tomik,

I have a collection of all lego creator 3 in 1 models. And we (my 3 children at the age of 10, 8 and 5,5 and me) are always searching for alternate models to this set. We have also found your creations and enjoy them very much.

Today we have built your alternate cat and mouse to lego 4916. My little boy took the remaining parts and build a bird (like a vulture).

We are looking forward to the publication of the building instructions for your alternates to lego 31021 (penguin and fish, killer whale).

Best regards from Austria.

I have built a lot of Tomas's models and designing them just with the parts of a particular set he builds some amazing models. I particularly like the 8052 Forklift and the 8294 Snow Cat. Those two models you have to add a small amount of extra parts outside of the set they we're designed from. A half metre of string for the 8052 and some motors and IR receivers and a remote, and most serious Technic fans would have these in his or her spare parts collection. However, 99% of Tomas's designs use just the parts from the set that inspired him.

I go back a lot just to see what's new and read his blog. I've offered up a couple of things I'm sure he could design. And yes, like another member said his instructions are among the best, easy to print and easy to clearly define each step.

Thanks so much for your great works, my friend.

Oh, forgot the 42006 Bulldozer, that's another favorite in my collection.

Eric

Edited by DarkShadow73

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your support and I'm happy you like my models and instructions.

I've just added 5 new building instructions including anticipated CLEV3R CAR built out of Mindstorms EV3.

Happy New Year 2017!

14569897711_DISPLAY.jpg