Ralph_S

MOC: MV-22B Osprey tiltrotor

Great creation. The folding of the blades and the main wing is awesome. Nice combination of looks and functionality (which is not very common for non-Technic creations).

Thank you. It is much appreciated.

I really like all your machines! :wub: The only one I would change is the sticking up studs of smooth tiles.

Thank you. I know a lot of people seem to prefer studless models, but I like them, so I can't be bothered to cover them up making the wings even thicker than they already are.

Cheers,

Ralph

Yeah I can't get over your MOCs. Superb!

Can you post a pic of the bottom of the Osprey with the gear up and down?

How do you do some of your cockpit glass designs? They seem rounded and I can't picture what pieces you use-LEGO?

Seriously you could sell your designs/directions for the aircraft you do.

What scale are your aircraft in relation to minifigs?

Edited by ETAV8R

Yeah I can't get over your MOCs. Superb!

Can you post a pic of the bottom of the Osprey with the gear up and down?

How do you do some of your cockpit glass designs? They seem rounded and I can't picture what pieces you use-LEGO?

Seriously you could sell your designs/directions for the aircraft you do.

What scale are your aircraft in relation to minifigs?

Sorry, I missed your reply a few days ago.

Thanks.

For a long time I've been using non-LEGO plastic for the canopies: pieces of plastic sheet cut into the right shape and held in place using adhesive tape. However, for a few years now I've also been using more and more brick-built solutions. Trans clear cheese slopes, for instance, have made that more feasible. Lately I've started replacing non-LEGO canopies on existing models with brick built ones. I still have about two dozen aircraft to retrofit, so it'll be a while before I'm done, but the non-LEGO will go eventually. I started a thread about it a few weeks ago.

Here's a picture showing how the undercarriage retracts on the Osprey.

6339798015_04ac787c1a.jpg

MV-22B Osprey (13) by Mad physicist, on Flickr

The scale is 1/36. I personally think that this is too big for minifigs -which is why I don't use them with these models, but a lot of military builders seem to build at similar of even larger scales and do use figs with their models, so it's largely a matter of personal preference.

There are a lot of people who have asked for instructions or have offered me money if I were to make them. Unfortunately making instructions is an awful lot of work, certainly for my larger and more complex models such as this one. I'd estimate that for the Osprey it would take between 30 and 40 hours of solid work. I could be spending the free time I'd normally spend building new stuff doing something that I don't particularly enjoy instead in order to make some money that I don't particularly need and I might not even break even financially. It's not a viable option.

Brilliant!

Brilliant!

THank you. One brilliant would have done :wink:

Wonderful MOC of a wonderful airplane. :wub:

The amount of detail is astonishing as usual and it's just as accurate as it can be. I can't really find a definitive flaw here, it's perfect in it's way.

Personally I never liked studs showing up and I don't like it here either, but it's your style of building and it has something very unique to it.

The switch to brick build canopys is an interesting decision; after all Lego designers make new parts they need as well! On the other hand it's even more impressive when you manage with the bricks available.

Wonderful MOC of a wonderful airplane. :wub:

The amount of detail is astonishing as usual and it's just as accurate as it can be. I can't really find a definitive flaw here, it's perfect in it's way.

Personally I never liked studs showing up and I don't like it here either, but it's your style of building and it has something very unique to it.

The switch to brick build canopys is an interesting decision; after all Lego designers make new parts they need as well! On the other hand it's even more impressive when you manage with the bricks available.

Thank you very much. As I wrote before, I quite like the studs. I was never completely happy with the non-LEGO canopies, but it was the best I could do for a long time. I've always maintained that if I could come up with a viable purist alternative that would look good and that would allow me to still have an interior and a canopy that opens the right way (which rules out Star Wars canopies on pretty much anything but the F-16) I'd prefer to use that instead.

I attended Brickfair in DC in August and decided to take my Su-27 there. Because I was pretty sure that some people there would needle me for being 'non-purist' I decided to have a crack at building a canopy out of trans clear parts instead. I was positively surprised by the result. Brick-built canopies are not as transparent as the old ones and are a lot heavier, which makes it harder to come up with mechanisms to open them, but IMO they actually look nicer.

Replacing all of them is going to be a pain though!

Cheers,

Ralph