Rumble Strike

Heroica RPG - Quest#13: The Darkstar

~This topic is meant only for the players who have been chosen to participate in this quest. If you wish to join the game, head to the

Rules & Discussion topic to learn how to do so.~

Quest#13: The Darkstar

The six chosen heroes waited patiently in the Hall. They knew the strange woman would return and the quest would begin.

The six chosen heroes are:

av_guts.jpg

Guts Holla
(played by Scubacarrot)

Level 1 Rogue

Power
: 4

Health
: 7/7

Gold
: 5

Inventory
: Rusty Shortsword (WP:3), Potion, Venom, Bedroll

rsz_1img_2108_2nd.jpg

Sarick Lanse
(played by Xarrzan)

Level 1 Mage

Power

Health
: 5/5

Ether

Gold
: 10

Inventory
: Shark Fang Dagger (WP: 3),Opal Gem (Ice), Potion

ava-dak.jpg

Dak Nikolus
(played by darthnihilus)

Level 1 Rogue

Power

Health
: 7/7

Gold
: 0

Inventory
: Twin Longswords (WP:3), Venom, 2 Potions, Bedroll

ava-nerwen.jpg

Nerwen Calmcacil
(played by Chromeknight) ** Party Leader **

Level 1 Cleric

Power

Health
: 9/9

Ether

Gold

Inventory
: Wooden Staff (WP:3), Potion, Remedy, Fire Bomb

Fenimor%252520Vish%252520%252528portrait%252529.png

Fenimor Vish
(played by Jorgevorg)

Level 1 Barbarian

Power

Health
: 8/8

Gold

Inventory
: Golden Trident (WP:3), Bottle of "Archebus Brine's Special Reserve" Clam Mead, Potion of Healing (x2)

heroicarpg004edited.jpg

Knifk
(played by Bioniclover)

Level 1 Knight

Power

Health
: 10/10

Gold
: 10

Inventory
: Morning Star (WP:8), Wyrm Shield (SP:2), Potion

The tall woman came into Heroica Hall and motioned to the group that they should follow her. They initially headed East from the Hall and seemed to be heading towards Zeigfried Manor, but that is not where the woman stopped. Onward they walked, until the party reached the Hovels. Her lips pursed in a frown of disgust, the black-clad woman led them through a warren of bustling, dimly lit alleyways.

She had not spoken a word to the group.

What will the party do?

"Hello?"

"You mind giving us some details on what exactly you hired us for?"

Edited by Scubacarrot

"Okay, this is getting wierd......."

"Nerwyn, you're the Party Leader, what should we do?"

Perhaps we should wait until we arrive wherever she is leading us, this woman might not be our actual employer, only a servant. We need some trust up front.

But I am concerned about the lack of communication.

Nerwen waits to see what happens as she watches as Guts and Knifk move up either side of the mysterious woman and begin asking questions.

Sarick slithered through the alleyways at the back of the party. He kept glancing behind them, to see if anyone was following.

"We should stay on alert. There could be thugsss and cutpurses hanging around in these allys."

"I agree Sarick, having once been such a thief myself, this would be the perfect place for a robbery. Now, Guts and Knifk, I'm not so sure that that is such a good idea...... This woman may be more adept than she looks." :look:Dak glances to either side, making sure that there aren't any suspicious characters lurking in the shadows.

Knifk pokes the woman

The woman turns round quickly with an immense look of anger on her face, but then she softens slightly.

6337262970_55d462c4a6_t.jpg

"What would one expect from an Orc," she sneers in a haughty voice, and then looks at the party. "We are nearly at our destination. I will explain more when we arrive."

With Sarick and Dak mindful of the locale they were in, the party continued, until they reached a non-descript building with barred windows. The woman paused here, and once again looked over the party, fixing them all with an icy glare.

"You may call me Sorrow. I have been hired by the Zeigfrieds to help locate a gem of great mystical power; the legendary Darkstar. It is a gem of great significance that has been lost for many years." Her voice dropped to a whisper, "There are those who believe it was created by Zoot," she glanced off into the distance, and then refocused, "But now the Zeigfrieds want it in their possession. For... safekeeping. They don't want it falling into the wrong hands.

Inside this building is someone who may know the location of the Darkstar. Consider this your audition to me; I would like you to get him to reveal what he knows."

The party enter the building:

6277720283_8774c4a3c7_b.jpg

A clearly terrified man is chained up. His clothes are filthy and a foul stench emanates from the room. Sorrow looms over him, a dark presence.

What will the party do?

Dak felt pity for the man. Sorrow seemed to contempt him and his fellow heroes, but a Quest was a Quest.Dak would like to use his half-elf skills and try to read strong thoughts off the man, sorted by relation to the Darkstar.He hoped that his mental probing wouldn't hurt the man, as it seemed that he had suffered enough already. Dak informs the party of his plan before proceeding.

Dak concentrates and feels waves of terror coming off of the man, but he can't get any coherent, specific thoughts from him due to his panicked, fearful state.

The prisoner looks pleadingly at the heroes as they enter.

6336506237_f86b559d73_t.jpg

"Help me, please!"

Edited by Rumble Strike

Dak cringes, feeling the waves of fear coming off the man. He whispers to the rest of the party:

"Should we listen to this woman or help the man? My instincts tell me to help him, but the Quest rules say that we have to help this woman, Sorrow."

Dak cringes, feeling the waves of fear coming off the man. He whispers to the rest of the party:

"Should we listen to this woman or help the man? My instincts tell me to help him, but the Quest rules say that we have to help this woman, Sorrow."

Sarick nods his head to what Dak has to say. He whispers to his team, "I do not have much diplomatic skill. Does anyone else have a way with wordsss that could calm individualsss? I will stay near the rear of the group. I do not want my appearance to frighten the man much more. If I get too close he might get the feeling that I am menacing him."

Guts whispers to the rest of the party with a devilish grin on his face: "I say we see if Knifk's diplomacy skills gets us anything, if not, I have other means of getting 'information' from people."

Fenimor Vish pensively scratched his right eyeball and decided to wait a little longer before making his move. Quite literally, he stands motionless, pondering whether the woman who desired to be called "Sorrow" is aware of the fact that subtlety is not her greatest asset.

Edited by Jorgevorg

As the heroes had yet to move towards the prisoner Sorrow sighed in annoyance.

The prisoner once again spoke up, but he was clearly exhausted and scared.

"Help me, my, my wife... she..."

"You may call me Sorrow. I have been hired by the Zeigfrieds to help locate a gem of great mystical power; the legendary Darkstar. It is a gem of great significance that has been lost for many years." Her voice dropped to a whisper, "There are those who believe it was created by Zoot," she glanced off into the distance, and then refocused, "But now the Zeigfrieds want it in their possession. For... safekeeping. They don't want it falling into the wrong hands.

Inside this building is someone who may know the location of the Darkstar. Consider this your audition to me; I would like you to get him to reveal what he knows."

A clearly terrified man is chained up. His clothes are filthy and a foul stench emanates from the room. Sorrow looms over him, a dark presence.

What will the party do?

No!

Nerwen rarely speaks loudly, but this time her voice cuts through the conversation.

No. This is not civilized. Not the way of Galadrya and Celebryon. I will not be party to torture and coercion.

Release him from the chains.

You say this gem has great power.

You say it may have even been created by the great deceiver.

You say the Zeigfrieds want it, that they are worried about the wrong hands.

But is how you have treated this man meant to persuade us that yours are the right hands?

Nerwen's body is tense, and her eyes are fixed on Sorrow's. Watching the other woman's pale face.

Audition? Ha. We may be new, but we are heroes of heroica.

You have asked for our help to secure this artifact. But if this man does not trust you, why should we?

Nerwen reaches out with her healing power to determine if the man is injured. If so, she expends 1 ether to heal him.

Turning to the chained man.

I do not know if this woman or the Zeigfrieds can be trusted. But you have my word on this. If this thing truly is from the forsaken one and you are keeping it for some purpose, you will be betrayed and devoured. That is how the false god operates. And you would be naive to think you can benefit from holding onto it.

Edited by Chromeknight

"So typical of the Elves, that abhorrant high-minded philosphy that you spout to appear far more intelligent than the other races. This, dear girl, is simply about getting things done. Yes, you are heroes of Heroica Hall. Yes, you are valiant and brave all that good stuff, if you were not, then I wouldn't have used your organisation. But sometimes sacrifices have to be made. Sometimes you have to use the world as it exists, not as you wish to see it. I have been hired by the Ziegfrieds, and in turn I have hired you. That is the chain of consequences. It begins here, with this wretched man. It ends at the Darkstar. That is the goal. I believe the phrase is, 'The ends justify the means.'"

The tall, pale woman makes no attempt to move towards the prisoner. She stares back at Nerwen, unblinking.

The prisoner sees this contest of wills. He implores the party:

I... I was just off to, to get medicine for my wife. She, she is very ill. Then this crazy... woman captures me and now I am worried... that my wife... will die".

The terror Dak felt earlier from the prisoner was not about his predicament.

What will the party do?

QM note - Nerwen cannot affect his health, it is sleep and food that he requires rather than actaul healing. I want to see what the others want to do about the prisoner, see if they will follow Nerwen's lead.

Dak decides that this man has suffered enough pain by the hands of Sorrow. He turns to her, and delves into her mind, finding her greatest fear.

"I hope this works,"he says to the party.

Dak tries hard, concentrating on the tall woman who seems hell-bent on torturing the prisoner. But as hard as he tries, Dak cannot delve into Sorrow's mind at all.

Sorrow fixes on Dak, her stare one of contempt. He hears her voice inside his own head

try to get inside my mind again, half-breed, and it will be the last thing you do

Dak gasps and takes 1 damage:

ava-dak.jpgDak Nikolus (played by darthnihilus)

Level 1 Rogue

Power: 4

Health: 6/7

Gold: 0

Inventory: Twin Longswords (WP:3), Venom, 2 Potions, Bedroll

Edited by Rumble Strike

"Okay, that didn't work. Maybe we should get Knifk to try using diplomacy?"

Knifk steps forward, and, using his Diplomatic skills, says "Knifk means no offense to mystic Sorrow, but

Knifk thinks friend Nerwen is right. Definition of "hero" is being who does selfless things for others without reward. Knifk knows because he looked it up in dictionary before joining Heroica. :laugh: Knifk does not think it would be very heroic of party to bash innocent man just to find rare, powerful gem. Knifk also thinks meaning of "wrong hands" has not been forged in iron. Mystic Sorrow's hands could be wrong hands if mystic Sorrow is mean to nice people when she could be their friend instead. Watch how Knifk does it." Knifk turns to the screaming man. "Hello, future friend of Knifk! Will you please tell Knifk how to find shiny rock? Knifk wants to know very much. Please? :sweet: " Knifk holds out his hand, offering 5 Gold to the man. " Knifk will give man shiny Gold to buy his wife medicine regardless of whether or not man helps Knifk.

"Fine", harrumps Sorrow, "we'll see how the Orc gets on with his diplomacy..."

The prisoners eyes opened wider as the large Orc got closer to him, then he seemed to settle down as the Knight's words were heard.

"I don't know anything about a gem... I don't know why this crazy lady thinks I do... I just travelled from my village to Eubric to get the medicine..."

"You definitely know something or I would not have had you brought to me!" snaps Sorrow. "Keep questioning him!"

"Fine", harrumps Sorrow, "we'll see how the Orc gets on with his diplomacy..."

The prisoners eyes opened wider as the large Orc got closer to him, then he seemed to settle down as the Knight's words were heard.

"I don't know anything about a gem... I don't know why this crazy lady thinks I do... I just travelled from my village to Eubric to get the medicine..."

"You definitely know something or I would not have had you brought to me!" snaps Sorrow. "Keep questioning him!"

[diplomacy]"Man is sure he doesn't know about stone? Could man please tell Knifk more about himself? What is man's name? Wife's name? Where does man live? Man have any children? What is man's wife sick with?"

Edited by Bioniclover

"I am getting tired of this, talk will get nothing out of this guy it seems."

Guts walked towards the prisoner, unsheathed his blade, and punched the man in the face with his free hand, the armor-plated glove hit the man on the side of his head.

"Darkstar. Start. Talking."