Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

7653321316_519c44e2c3_m.jpg

Ageven Deraim by gid617, on Flickr

I, Ageven Deraim, guarantee my allegiance to the Kaliphlin. My men and I will be honored to fight for the South.

7653321156_f72b589fc5_m.jpg

. . . And my Men! by gid617, on Flickr

I have traveled for many months, coming from across the Great Southern Ocean in a raft, sailing out of sight of land, seeing nothing but blue, illumined by the hottest, most brilliant sun I had ever imagined. I have seen many sights, but none so great as the sight of mountains, once again, rising out of the horizon, as we finally drifted into sight of land. I first landed upon one of the outlying islands, sending on two of my followers to try to see what lie ahead. They brought back a tale far better than any I had imagined: a rich, desert land, scarcely populated, but flowing with all the wealth of an empire. I knew than that we had reached Kaliphlin, the province of Historica that contained some of the greatest riches imaginable. I sailed on, reaching finally one of the outermost borders, from whence I had my scribe sketch a map, circling the portion where I wish to make my home. If none of my fellow Guild members object, or have already taken up their base here, I would ask to build my home in the circled island/peninsula:

7645565424_1b9a725d24_m.jpg

Kaliphlin Map by gid617, on Flickr

(It is indeed true that red would have been the preferred color, however, all the brushes that I have had the fortune to see have always been covered with green - a most unfortunate circumstance.)

Edit:

Sig-fig added.

Edited by Kai NRG

I, Ageven Deraim, guarantee my allegiance to the Kaliphlin. My men and I will be honored to fight for the South. I have traveled for many months, coming from across the Great Southern Ocean in a raft, sailing out of sight of land, seeing nothing but blue, illumined by the hottest, most brilliant sun I had ever imagined. I have seen many sights, but none so great as the sight of mountains, once again, rising out of the horizon, as we finally drifted into sight of land. I first landed upon one of the outlying islands, sending on two of my followers to try to see what lie ahead. They brought back a tale far better than any I had imagined: a rich, desert land, scarcely populated, but flowing with all the wealth of an empire. I knew than that we had reached Kaliphlin, the province of Historica that contained some of the greatest riches imaginable. I sailed on, reaching finally one of the outermost borders, from whence I had my scribe sketch a map, circling the portion where I wish to make my home. If none of my fellow Guild members object, or have already taken up their base here, I would ask to build my home in the circled island/peninsula:

(It is indeed true that red would have been the preferred color, however, all the brushes that I have had the fortune to see have always been covered with green - a most unfortunate circumstance.)

[My sigfig will be coming shortly - Ageven has misplaced his camera (no paintings as they would have to be green), but will doubtless find it as he unpacks his belongings.]

Welcome Ageven Deraim, Kaliphlin greets you with open arms. You will find the people here reasonable and accepting, and we look forward to witnessing the construction of your base and your acceptance into the circle of leaders amongst our fair and powerful guild.

I agree that the amount of dropoff is a bit disappointing, but I agree that even if only 10 people were active, I'd still be having a blast. This is the best part of EB(I'm biased obviously!). As a fairly new AFOL, I did not even know about EB until I joined before Challenge 2. Now, this is the sight I spend the majority of my time at, rather than most of the others.

Dr. Rod: Yes, I counted you and that build as active!

Angeli: If 3m is the cutoff, I believe you and DC may be the only active members :wink:

Ska: I only went back to June 1st, because I was getting tired of reading everything over, and my eyes were getting dizzy going through all 4 guilds!

When I did that quick count the other day, my only aim was to see if Kaliphlin had as many active members as the other guilds, since we had so many to begin with, but seemed to have dropped off. After doing the counts, I was shocked at how low Nocturnus was. But that made me think how amazing those few over there are doing on their builds to still garner as many points as they do.....of course when you look at the builds of those builders, it should be no surprise, they have some great builders!

****EDIT***** So I went through the other guilds as well, and from June 1 until now, it looks like these are the number of active folks in each guild:

Avalonia: 27

Kaliphlin: 16

Mitgardia: 14

Nocturnus: 8

Interesting. Nocturnus isn't as far behind as would be expected though - neither is Avalonia as far ahead :wink:

Here is my progress on what I'm hoping to turn into an entry for challenge 4:

SAM_0048.jpg

I decided to work on the water elemental and microscale background last. The ship is modular and floors lift out to access the interior.

I like the idea, but this thing doesn't look like a medieval ship, it looks like a golden age of piracy ship. I think you'll need to retool it in a MAJOR way to get it to fit.

I like the idea, but this thing doesn't look like a medieval ship, it looks like a golden age of piracy ship. I think you'll need to retool it in a MAJOR way to get it to fit.

I don't know... It might work as a large Carrack, that would pretty much press it into the Renaissance though. However, he did invent the printing press, so perhaps his tech is top of the line?

Also, when we have dudes shooting lightning and elves, I don't know how much we can pull back technology... Some of these dwarves seem to have steam power. Most of the cogs produced for GOH so far seem to be more renaissance than late medieval anyway.

Here is my Challenge four entry so far (I wasn't planning on making it all miniature, but that looked better. . . :classic: :

7651660244_ccdd4161af_m.jpg

The Dragon of Nadur by gid617, on Flickr

Any suggestions? :wink: (more pictures on my flickr page)

Also, can my Sigfig have the CMF S3 Elf's costume? I know it goes better with Avalonia, but I think it's really cool. . . :tongue:

EDIT: Forget the costume. I think I can come up with something better.

Edited by Kai NRG

Here is my Challenge four entry so far (I wasn't planning on making it all miniature, but that looked better. . . :classic: :

7651660244_ccdd4161af_m.jpg

The Dragon of Nadur by gid617, on Flickr

Any suggestions? :wink: (more pictures on my flickr page)

The rocky cliff should become some mountains. I would add a bunch of peaks etc.

I didn't really get "sand dune" from the tan stuff. I would add some tan plates on the ground to help get the transition from the green plate to a desert-y area.

The dragon looks pretty sweet though!

Also, when we have dudes shooting lightning and elves, I don't know how much we can pull back technology... Some of these dwarves seem to have steam power. Most of the cogs produced for GOH so far seem to be more renaissance than late medieval anyway.

You're right, historical accuracy is not the main goal here, but it just doesn't feel "right" to me. It may be just my opinion, but I thought I would offer it up in case others felt the same and Mike could make some adjustments.

I didn't really get "sand dune" from the tan stuff. I would add some tan plates on the ground to help get the transition from the green plate to a desert-y area.

You're right, the transition from grass to sand is pretty abrupt. And I think a couple of peaks ontop ot the mountains shouldn't be that hard :wink: Thanks for the ideas. :classic:

Welcome to Kaliphlin Ageven Deraim! Your challenge 4 entry is showing good potential.default_thumbup.gif

You are right that it is not an authentic medieval ship. But neither is it a pirate ship. It is a medieval fantasy ship. It would fail as a pirate ship as it has no cannon space other than perhaps topdeck where the rails are too high. I think that the colors portray more of a pirate look to it more than anything other than the sails which are indeed taken directly from LEGO's Black Pearl. The figurehead IMO is definately medieval... None of my creations are authentic historic MOCs except possibly my printing press.

Welcome to Kaliphlin Ageven Deraim! Your challenge 4 entry is showing good potential.default_thumbup.gif

You are right that it is not an authentic medieval ship. But neither is it a pirate ship. It is a medieval fantasy ship. It would fail as a pirate ship as it has no cannon space other than perhaps topdeck where the rails are too high. I think that the colors portray more of a pirate look to it more than anything other than the sails which are indeed taken directly from LEGO's Black Pearl. The figurehead IMO is definately medieval... None of my creations are authentic historic MOCs except possibly my printing press.

Thanks! I'm planning on making some mountains in the background - thanks to ZCerberus for the idea.

The build of your ship doesn't look like a pirate's, just the sails. Which of course you really couldn't fix easily, unless you have a different color. But once it is completed it will probably look more fantasy/medieval style (especially if you get some Arab-looking figs on top. . . :wink: ).

Edited by Kai NRG

You're right, historical accuracy is not the main goal here, but it just doesn't feel "right" to me. It may be just my opinion, but I thought I would offer it up in case others felt the same and Mike could make some adjustments.

I think I came off snappy, sorry it was late, and that was not my intention - I was just giving a counter opinion to help him decide what he wants to do with it. I very much respect your building expertise in both naval and medieval settings. And I have not built a new pirate ship in probably 5 years... so my take on building age of sail ships is probably a bit off too.

Mikel, i like the coloring and the overall shape of your ship (phone only lets me see so much detail) i am going to start my own vessel soon, and I was trying to determine what I wanted to model it after. I had considered something along the lines of a clipper for a sleeker vessel and that's almost colonial , but I would definitely simplify it for GoH. It does seem like anything from the gunpowder era back is fair game here, as I would expect from most medieval-themed fantasy worlds.

It's really up to you, just an opinion from a pirate-castle cross over guy!

I respect your opinion but honestly I'm not exactly sure what that opinion is... default_sceptic.gif With other entries such as Robuko's The Piscithopter, I am actually surprised that you think that it "doesn't feel right". It might help if you were more specific as to what feels wrong about it and of course I will reply with why it is as it is...default_laugh_new.gif I could understand if it was loaded with cannons and had a steam engine or something but as it is just a sail ship, I'm completely lost to your opinion. I tried finding the picture that I vaguely based this off (it was a book cover from a medieval fantasy novel with a fleet of large ships by a coastline/harbor) but sadly I can't remember which book it was, I just remember the cover pic.

@Kai NRG- yes I really don't think I will be changing the sails as 1. I have no idea how to realistically rig sails & 2. I remember my childhood attemts at making my own sails and I'm not going back theredefault_tong.gif

@rogueang- Thanks! I'm actually quite pleased with how the ship is turning out. I originally had the top deck (now lower deck) follow the curve of the boat but I wanted a ship that would be more comfortable on long voyages so I built the top deck.

Added some mountains into the background. Also, there's more sand to the sand dune.

7662434502_91ac3a88a3_m.jpg

Any more ideas (the mountains are actually not directly behind the cliffs, FYI)? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to move the volcano to the other side. :sceptic:

Added some mountains into the background. Also, there's more sand to the sand dune.

Any more ideas (the mountains are actually not directly behind the cliffs, FYI)? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to move the volcano to the other side. default_sceptic.gif

I would probably make at least the last row of studs on the left sand color up to the cliffs and if you have any more colors of green add more tecture to your grassy plain. Also probably could add more height variations to the mountains. My thoughts on what I can see from side view...

I would probably make at least the last row of studs on the left sand color up to the cliffs and if you have any more colors of green add more tecture to your grassy plain. Also probably could add more height variations to the mountains. My thoughts on what I can see from side view...

I think I could add more texture; I wanted to be careful not to put too many details (detract from the main object, the dragon), but some off to the side is a good idea. I'm still experementing with the mountains. . . I think I may have found something better, but I'm not quite sure yet! :tongue:

Edited by Kai NRG

My entry for challenge 4 is posted now...here is a sneak peak

7664746914_d00ba224fc.jpg

My entry

We had a special visitor to the town at the time of the attack as well. Sorry to anyone else, but he was the only sigfig I had all the parts to make!

I, Ageven Deraim, guarantee my allegiance to the Kaliphlin. My men and I will be honored to fight for the South.

I have traveled for many months, coming from across the Great Southern Ocean in a raft, sailing out of sight of land, seeing nothing but blue, illumined by the hottest, most brilliant sun I had ever imagined. I have seen many sights, but none so great as the sight of mountains, once again, rising out of the horizon, as we finally drifted into sight of land. I first landed upon one of the outlying islands, sending on two of my followers to try to see what lie ahead. They brought back a tale far better than any I had imagined: a rich, desert land, scarcely populated, but flowing with all the wealth of an empire. I knew than that we had reached Kaliphlin, the province of Historica that contained some of the greatest riches imaginable. I sailed on, reaching finally one of the outermost borders, from whence I had my scribe sketch a map, circling the portion where I wish to make my home. If none of my fellow Guild members object, or have already taken up their base here, I would ask to build my home in the circled island/peninsula:

Edit:

Sig-fig added.

Any more ideas (the mountains are actually not directly behind the cliffs, FYI)? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to move the volcano to the other side. :sceptic:

Welcome Ageven Deraim to Kaliphlin! You have chosen a well-populated area of the guild to build in - you certainly will have plenty of neighbours. (and allies!) :classic:

That's a great start on your challenge entry too - and btw, a nice idea to make it all microscale. :thumbup: I agree with Mikel that the foreground might need a bit of contouring so that it doesn't appear so flat. I do think the mountains in the background work well though.

My entry for challenge 4 is posted now...here is a sneak peak

7664746914_d00ba224fc.jpg

My entry

We had a special visitor to the town at the time of the attack as well. Sorry to anyone else, but he was the only sigfig I had all the parts to make!

Really great entry Kayne, and well done you for being orginised enough not to leave it to the last minute! (Unlike me...) Thanks for the invite to your fair province - Starbowl looks to be a well-built city, and i'm sure it will recover from this latest attack. :classic:

Btw, i love your ship Mikel! Your entry looks like it's going to be massive... :oh:

Ok, so it's not Monday anymore (where i live anyway), but i still want to post this for *drumroll* Microscale Monday! :grin: Which should totally be a thing. I haven't made a topic for this yet as i am now off to the land of nod, although i may do so later..

Anyway, it's the causeway garrison at the head of the landbridge into Peregrinus. It might just give you a clue as to where my challenge 4 entry will be based. :wink:

microgate2eb_240712.jpg

Happy building everyone!

Welcome Ageven Deraim to Kaliphlin! You have chosen a well-populated area of the guild to build in - you certainly will have plenty of neighbours. (and allies!) :classic:

That's a great start on your challenge entry too - and btw, a nice idea to make it all microscale. :thumbup: I agree with Mikel that the foreground might need a bit of contouring so that it doesn't appear so flat. I do think the mountains in the background work well though. . .

Anyway, it's the causeway garrison at the head of the landbridge into Peregrinus. It might just give you a clue as to where my challenge 4 entry will be based. :wink:

[image]

Happy building everyone!

I love your microbuild (I really like microbuilding - it's probably pretty obvious :wink: ), and thanks. I've added a bit more, I think I'm almost done (I thought that a while ago too though. . . :laugh: )

I have just finished my water elemental for my Challenge IV. Here's a hint, 'quicksand'.

I still have air, fire and earth elementals to work on, but I have firm plans for each of them in my head. I'm calling it Emerging Mayhem.

I will hopefully have my Commerce Challenge build done and photographed on Wednesday. The set dressing for my Nestlands Market will include figs from all guilds.

I still have three other Nestlands builds that might be completed in August: Skywatch Perch, Visiting Herbologists and Guardsmen Waiting Outside. No promises, but those are the plans.

gabe, the herbologists from Peregrinus(sp?) are being reworked since you have given me your input. Thank you for that; it gave me some new ideas.

daMaximus, the Mpya Stedor Trade Delegation will also be meeting with the Minister of External Affairs soon.

gedren_y

Edited by gedren_y

I have just finished my water elemental for my Challenge IV. Here's a hint, 'quicksand'.

I still have air, fire and earth elementals to work on, but I have firm plans for each of them in my head. I'm calling it Emerging Mayhem.

gedren_y

So you're going to do four different elementals in one scene?

microgate2eb_240712.jpg

Happy building everyone!

Nice!!! :D

Welcome Ageven Deraim!! The city of Mpya Stedor will be glad to help you to build your city!

You have already a name for it?

I will hopefully have my Commerce Challenge build done and photographed on Wednesday. The set dressing for my Nestlands Market will include figs from all guilds.

I still have three other Nestlands builds that might be completed in August: Skywatch Perch, Visiting Herbologists and Guardsmen Waiting Outside. No promises, but those are the plans.

gabe, the herbologists from Peregrinus(sp?) are being reworked since you have given me your input. Thank you for that; it gave me some new ideas.

daMaximus, the Mpya Stedor Trade Delegation will also be meeting with the Minister of External Affairs soon.

gedren_y

Nice! We are already looking forward to it!

Pff, I have to start building for challenge 4, I guess it will be also a waterscene...

I went to England last week and bought 2 PAB-cups (880 and 740 bricks). I am sure I can use them in the future :sweet:

I also was lucy to get 8 of the 9 Team GB minifigs :laugh: (but that's out of this topic)