Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Wow, I was actually worried about getting it done on time, thanks for that, guild-leaders, you can read minds! (or other people have the same issues ;))

Having lost last weekend to illness and next weekend to Rasputin Jr`s birthday, me too. But what excites me is that gabe might, just might, get his build in!

:classic:

Yes, I'm pretty sure TLG is copying Jurassic Park with their dino theme and so the raptors are based off the movie as well. (edit: the lego dino website actually clarifies the raptor as being only 7 feet long which would make it only slightly longer than a minifig) Personally I'm glad they did as chicken sized dinos are just not as fun...:wink:

Some name ideas I have come up with:

T Rex = Kertenkele Kral (Lizard King)

Velociraptor = Orakayak (Sickle Toe)

Coelophysis = Kolofiz (Hollow Form)

Triceratops = Uclukorn (Triple Horn)

OOH! I was thinking of naming my triceratops a cerrunos, after the pagan horned lord of the forest. Since I'm using this fella http://peeron.com/inv/sets/6722-1 perhaps they are two species, or have different names due to different languages.

OOH! I was thinking of naming my triceratops a cerrunos, after the pagan horned lord of the forest. Since I'm using this fella http://peeron.com/inv/sets/6722-1 perhaps they are two species, or have different names due to different languages.

cerrunos is a good name... however it does look like your triceratops is a different variation of the triceratrops that I was naming. As my guide that I'm working on is of the Siccus Badlands I just wanted to establish sort of "official" names in Kaliphlin. Even in Kaliphlin though, I expect that the same animal is called several different names as some are quite content to use the actual real life names or invent their own names which I can in "roleplay" logically attribute to different languages and dialects.

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Medic!!! - your WIP looks very interesting. A nice level of detail you have included there, the minifig legs are particularly interesting. Keep up the good work! :thumbup:

Since I keep saying I'm making progress, and in the spirit of the GoH, I have taken a few WIP shots of my challenge 3 entry and posted them on Flickr. I've made a composite image so you will really need to go on Flickr and go "Actions --> View all sizes" to really see the detail. Note that "Cuahchic" is my name on Flickr.

Here is a preview with a brief description below:

6942799236_16c02d5d71_c.jpg

The idea here is that our adventurers find a secret temple hidden behind a waterfall deep in the jungle. Above the falls there will be a visible building (as yet undecided). The MOC will be expanded around 16 studs at the back so that the inside of the cave is shown.

Still to do: complete the waterfalls, finalise foliage, complete inside of caves behind waterfalls, build terrain above waterfalls, build temple above waterfalls.

If I get this finished in time I hope to complete two other scenes: one showing the origin of the water crystal and another showing our heroes preparing for their adventure.

Constructive criticism welcomed.

@Medic: Looking good so far :thumbup: Great color choices, is it going to be an outpost?

@Basiliscus: Wow *oh2* Those waterfalls look great, looking forward to seeing more :classic:

@ Soccerkid6: No it's an hq for my protagonist Kirk who is head Peacekeeper on a small island in Kaliphlin. Anyway it will have a town market in front of it and maybe a few surrounding buildings. Oh and of course plants, camels and ostriches.

@ Basiliscus: Thanks!

medic - You MOC looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Basiliscus - Awesome entry you have going on there!

Since I keep saying I'm making progress...

Indeed, you are making good progress! The scene really has a mystic atmosphere, I admire the heroes that will dare to enter the hidden temple. The waterfalls and also the cliff look very nice. My entry will also have a (smaller) waterfall, I guess, this is what you find when you are looking for water crystals.

With so many great entries and Wips that come up on the forums I think it has been clear for a while now: Challenge three is going to be an epic competition!

Medic, very nice building. I pity a bit the poor slaves that lost their legs on top of the building :tongue:. No, seriously, it looks very good and especially the legs add an original note. Their form is perfect for Kaliphlin ornaments.

EDIT: eurobricks doesn't seem to like my word processor program. I always have to edit when I copy and paste.:wacko:

Well I was planning on posting some pics today but when I went to take a pic I realized that I had left my memory card at work so I will just post Part 1 of my Quest for the water crystal and add pics later.

Greetings most excellent Dextrus Flagg,

I present to you the water crystal of Kaliphlin. The story of how I came to find the crystal is long and I shall save the complete tale for another time. However I am now unconvinced of the benevolence of the Elder Druids and because of this I will recount to you the actual finding of the crystal.

My search party, which consisted of myself, ten soldiers, four packmen, my personal portrait painter, and our mysterious guide, had been trekking through a primeval jungle south of Barqa for over a week. Finally on the day we found the crystal, the ancient path we had been following abruptly ended at the edge of a cliff overlooking a hidden jungle valley.

Across the valley, built in successive intervals, stood a row of towers connected by rope bridges. We continued our trek across the bridges and towers and eventually came to the center of the valley. One of my soldiers fell through a rotted plank of one of the rope bridges but he managed to grab one of the ropes and his comrades hauled him back up.

At the center of the valley a mound of rock rose above the jungle fauna. Upon this rock was built an ancient edifice. We carefully crossed the last rope bridge to this structure and found the rock mound to be hollow on the inside and there was a staircase built into the rockface leading down to the bottom of the hole.

Suddenly the fauna growing upon the walls of the ancient edifice began to move. Until now I had not paid much attention to the fauna on the walls, my concentration being instead on the deep pit within the mound of rock. As the vines detached themselves from the walls, I realized these were a species of plants I had never encountered before.

The vines were a mixed color of red and green and at the end of each grew a massive transparent twin leafed pod that opened like the jaws of a giant serpent. One of my soldiers screamed as a thick tendral wrapped around him, his swinging sword unable to free him before one of the pods enveloped him. The rest of my soldiers were already in action hacking at the tendrals but I could not see much hope in their efforts.

Suddenly a burst of flames came from behind me and engulfed one of the massive vines. I looked behind me and saw our mysterious guide aiming his mages staff at another vine and saw a stream of fire shoot out of the glowing red gem at the tip of the staff.

“Fire! Men! Light your torches!” I yelled to my soldiers. My packmen began lighting torches as my soldiers retreated back to us to light their torches. With the torches, my soldiers began to make visable progress toward destroying the vines.

Unfortunately our success was not to be easily won. The vines changed tactics and instead of trying to envelop my soldiers now began to coil and whip at us, the sharp thorns on the vines slicing and ripping through any unprotected skin.

Two more of my soldiers were felled,one being slammed into the wall and knocked unconcious and the other knocked off the narrow stairway and falling into the depths below. I heard yelling behind me and realized that our mysterious guide was trying to get my attention.

“The head!” he yelled pointing at the center of the pit below. I looked and understood what he meant. We had to get down to the head and destroy it if we were going to emerge from this battle triumphantly. I yelled the orders for my soldiers to make their way down to the center of the pit. I instructed my packmen and Rafael my painter to return to the last tower out of reach of the vines and then followed my soldiers down the narrow staircase that wound down around the side of the pit.

to be continued.... and updated with pictures....

100_5025.jpg

A quick pic of entry WIP showing druid structure, gaurdian tendrils, head, mysterious guide, and unfinished base.

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Kirk Valentine I made some notes on your flickr page regarding what you could do... but so far it's a great looking start... three more weeks to go!

Tower Lord Wahil What a fantastic start. the waterfall is fantastic! and the rocks are nicely done. The blandest part on the outside is the flat grass. if you're not going to add foliage, perhaps add some layers or patches of dirt just to break up the green zone.

The pillars for then next section looks nice though :)

Mikel Kalores great story! I can't wait to see the finish moc that goes with it :wub:

REMINDER

Let me know if anyone needs presentation help on challenge three to do some post photo work...

Medic, very nice building. I pity a bit the poor slaves that lost their legs on top of the building :tongue:.

haha I LOL'd

Hi, everyone. While I don't get to build much because my collection is 500+ miles away, I'm always on the lookout for good examples of North African and Islamic LEGO creations. I've compiled a nice list and I thought I would share it with the Kaliphlin Guild, which shares many architectural styles with those cultures.

You'll see quite a few pieces of work from EuroBricks members--and from Kaliphlin, in particular.

Please let me know any other creations I should add to the list.

14.jpg

Orient Tale - Dark-Alamez

5361296411_1a83d75915_b.jpg

Chase in Babylon - Sabarrus

4498052689_ed103166f1_b.jpg

Alamut Gate - dita_svelte

3857762178_e4fcafd16a_b.jpg

Main Gate - Sandy_Cash

02-front-left.jpg

Zimbab Castle - Nabii

3857757006_c0ebb466c8_b.jpg

Tower of Nizam-ud-Brick - Sandy_Cash

6097232510_0ce7d16fe9_b.jpg

El Miguelete - sehjo_vlc *Definitely more of a Moorish-Spanish style, but still nice.

6172373711_39b2a1e6d3_b.jpg

Al Wahat - Aliencat

4658824930_5be8edf7ba_b.jpg

Battle of Beersheba - BMW_Indy

assassins_creed_minaret_02.jpg

Leap of Faith - Saber-Scorpion

6438647581_5592a9d8f0_b.jpg

Kaliphlin Watchtower - Mikey

6515192575_24c2e3b734_b.jpg

Arad Dukkar - qi_tah

6640450693_eab922cd34_b.jpg

Kaliphlian Fishing Boat - qi_tah

3715985869_3edca4be67_b.jpg

Dome of the Rock - Torgugick

4226203588_e587c4ba15.jpg

Welcome to Persia! - Shadow Viking

4540835758_984cfe7ab7_b.jpg

Shrine of Nasir ibn Brick - Sandy_Cash

5937637133_04a249acf1_b.jpg

Arab Diorama - 1wave

5097740410_7616a0ddda_b.jpg

Legorabia - 1wave

6591400855_fd5d887498_b.jpg

Arabian Bazaar - WarnIcarus

01.jpg

Arabian Street - Piglet

01.jpg

Arabian Street 2 - Piglet

02.jpg

Arabian Street 3 - Piglet

4616873240_d335380bf6_b.jpg

Brickhara - Sandy_Cash

cccvii.6.01.jpg

Arabian Farm - Daniel Z

4656644716_52ca96d80e.jpg

The Courtyard - eilonwy77

4616230285_76689b9696_b.jpg

Brickhara - Sandy_Cash

dogunakaleti9eb_210212.jpg

Dogun a Kaleti: The easternmost star - gabe

6468187309_43f47b6ed3_b.jpg

Emir Hirgu of Gorr- Cuachic

6348865808_76546a197e_b.jpg

Wahil Musca's band - Cuahic

Edited by WarnIcarus

WarnIcarus - that's a really nice collection of MOC photos there. There are definitely some that I haven't seen before. Some of them are quite amazing and inspirational! I'm going to have to look at them a bit more to take it all in... Thanks for posting them!

Ugh, that looks like a headache :wacko: Looks great so far, it is really moving along :thumbup:

Edited by soccerkid6

Here are some more WIP pics:

Wow. That's looking great! That's one mean-looking guardian of the crystal you have there!

My brothers and sisters of Kaliphlin!

A most heinous crime has been committed!

7101169895_ae83110f70_z.jpg

The great treasure of the Flagg Family has been taken!

This shall not stand!

I stand here before you all and give the most serious of warnings:

DO NOT Build any more MOCs that prominently depict the demise of these delicious Ferrero Rochers

DO NOT Show what has happened to my precious Rocher

DO NOT Build this before May 14th

DO NOT Encourage others by voting on May 15 for your favourite despicable display of desert debauchery

DO NOT Post entries in this thread

DO NOT Expect to win a special prize for your evilness

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

Ugh, that looks like a headache :wacko: Looks great so far, it is really moving along :thumbup:

Thanks! My lack of building space is more of a headache I think...:sweet:

Wow. That's looking great! That's one mean-looking guardian of the crystal you have there!

Thanks! I hope I have the meanest looking gaurdian ever! :laugh:

I Sir Anturio the Dragon Slayer pledge my allegience to Kaliphlin! May we conquer many a castle and slay mighty beasts!

7112709143_4812126698.jpg

Knight by reptiman1, on Flickr

Edited by reptiman

Attention Guild members!

Due to the scale and complexity of Challenge 3, and the great number of builders who need more time to finish their entrees, we are officially extending the deadline for Challenge 3 by 2 weeks.

This is a one-time only extension that we give because we want to see everyone at their best.

If you have already submitted, take this as an opportunity to refine your design, or focus on free builds instead; the choice is yours!

The new deadline is now May 12th 2012.

Thank you for your hard work!

-The Guild Leaders

Yessss! :D Great news for me. Lets see... i have a week after i get home to finish... if i'm not sidetracked by anything else, i *should* be able to get my entry done, fingers x'ed!

Loving Wahil/Basiliscus and Mikel's challenge 3 WIP's, looking awesome fellas. Mikel, your tale is so gripping, i can't wait to find out what happens next! Basiliscus, your waterfall looks so beautiful. <3 Kirk Valentine/Medic's free build looks very promising also. Can't wait to see the end results! :)

So i've finally managed to find a place nearby that has internet, although being in the country it's as slow as a wet week. :P So i'll be around the forums for the next week while i'm on hols, but i won't be commenting much. I look forward to posting more when i get back though - Erudhalion has a tale or two to tell of how he and his companion got lost whilst questing for the water crystal!

ps. hope you are all doing well! :)

I Sir Anturio the Dragon Slayer pledge my allegience to Kaliphlin! May we conquer many a castle and slay mighty beasts!

Welcome aboard, Anturio! Glad to finally meet the legendary slayer of wyrms and dragons! Looking forward to hearing more about your past, and seeing some new MOCs from you. Help yourself to some mead!

Welcome Anturio! Glad to have another member to our illustrious guild. And a well decorated Knight to boot!

gabe: That is great news for the guild that you will be able to compete and go for the three-peat!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I am going to be MOCing Climbing some cliffs to slay some Dragons. Anybody have any tips to create climb the mighty rocks? Thanks for the help everyone! I hope to slay my first beast in the guild in the next couple of weeks.

And suddenly... OSTRICH CAVALRY!

7116881771_d487b29de1_z.jpg

It's been too long, folks. SPACE has had me occupied like you wouldn't believe. After AFOLCON, I'll try and muster up something for challenge #3.

-YtR