Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

AH! a New traveller! Kirk Valentine! Come come! sit at our grand table. Tis disappointing to hear about the sadness that comes from your former town. But you are welcome here, we have plenty of provisions and willingness to help repair your ships. And we have a few Magiks and tecknologers that would love to talk and learn from your fantastic creations!

But so much business, first, we must attend to our new joiner ritual!

And quite a nice micro to start it off. The trans clear is a nice touch - I have started seeing more people use it and I must say it's pretty spiffy looking !

Are the other instalments going to be connected to this one?

Lord Shale another wonderous WIP.

I must say, I think you have improved leaps and historica sized bounds since your last entry... it's really fantastic to see. And I'm very eager to see how it comes together! Really fantastic work!

Tower Master Erudhalion Great as always.

Today I shall gush about that incredible forced perspective you have through the windows. and the edging on the rug. Lovely techniques. :excited:

Mikel Oh the 'Build Large' syndrome how I know that particular aliment well. Many a times I have said "Oh It won't take me long" or "oh it won't be that big" ... then empty sacks of bricks later I shake my head and wonder what demon possessed me to try such a stupid thing.

Yes! The very act of posting your name and figure in this thread completes the incredibly ancient and complex ritual of joining the Kaliphlin Guild! Now commences the three ritual days of partying... :sweet:

:rofl::iamded_lol:

You should be the official welcomer.

That was fantastic.

You should be the official welcomer.

That was fantastic.

If you think that's fantastic, you should see the welcoming party! Barrels and barrels of ale and wine. Endless delicacies from all over Historica. We had an elephant pull contest. Mustafa's Mummies did their wild streaming bandages dance. The Spice Islands Girls gave a concert. Someone's giving flying lessons on dragonback. There was a dwarf tossing contest. We've been sandsurfing on the Great Dune, which is quite difficult after all that ale and wine. Not to mention DaMaximus' archery contest. And we're only on the first day!

And quite a nice micro to start it off. The trans clear is a nice touch - I have started seeing more people use it and I must say it's pretty spiffy looking !

Are the other instalments going to be connected to this one?

Yup they'll all be connected so that in the end I will have a 16x16 square of Avantia.

Edited by Medic!!!

Bummer. Just noticed that I lost my artist's palette tag sometime in the past few days. Still have the Lion Knights shield. Guess I better go create some new maps or something to get that palette tag back!

And, is anyone else besides me worried about getting this third challenge build done on time?

Bummer. Just noticed that I lost my artist's palette tag sometime in the past few days. Still have the Lion Knights shield. Guess I better go create some new maps or something to get that palette tag back!

And, is anyone else besides me worried about getting this third challenge build done on time?

Yeah me to be honest, Lord Damaximus is still hosting the festival, so considering he has to clean up the city this weekend, he will have only 2 weeks to search for the crystal... :p

Sorry for the late post. I'm from flickr and have been inspired to join by Si-Mocs.

I, Medic!!!, the one from flickr. Sign up for the Kaliphlin guild!

7060409739_f983d0f325.jpg

Ah you must be Dextrus Flagg, good to see this fine country ruled by such an able bodied leader. My name is Kirk Valentine and I am the Head peace-keeper in the fishing port town of Avantia in the far south of the Inland sea. I Have recently returned from helping a friend in Mitgardia and have found my town in ruin. Ships wrecked, buildings broken and most importantly crime is a common sight here. We would request support within materials and craftsmen for repair. Our ships are fast, and knowledge travels quickly from trade ports to us. In return for your aid, we will provide information and technology that could help Kaliphlin greatly. Such as a lantern that detects flammable gasses safely, Water purification methods, long range siege weaponry and finally the most fresh and delicious fish from all of Historica.....

More soon.

Medic!!!

Hail and well met Kirk Valentine! I'm sorry to hear of the recent troubles of Avantia, we in Peregrinus are a little too far from you to offer short term material support, but we shall send a team of shipwrights on the next cog west, to help you restore your fleet and harbours. Your technologies sound intriuging, and we would love to hear more about your advances. :classic:

Yeah, i've been desperately building for the quest challenge this last week - but as of tonight i actually have to admit defeat - sorry fellow guildies, i won't be able to make the deadline. :cry_sad: I'm rather bummed about it, but as i'm getting on a plane tomorrow and won't be back for three weeks, there isn't much i can do about it. Best of luck to everyone else working on the challenge - it'd be great to see one of us come away with the points and the joust! :classic::thumbup:

Edited by gabe

is anyone else besides me worried about getting this third challenge build done on time?

Big time. My 2 vigs are both 2 studs high right now! But, our first and biggest quarry shipment just came in. Some fool of a court astronomer forgot to schedule for my son's birthday next weekend though!

but as of tonight i actually have to admit defeat - sorry fellow guildies, i won't be able to make the deadline. :cry_sad: I'm rather bummed about it, but as i'm getting on a plane tomorrow and won't be back for three weeks, there isn't much i can do about it. Best of luck to everyone else working on the challenge - it'd be great to see one of us come away with the points and the joust! :classic::thumbup:

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo :cry_sad:*oh2*

Your first scene was incredible. Gutted for you, gabe, you have put so much into it. Can you post it as a free build?

but as of tonight i actually have to admit defeat - sorry fellow guildies, i won't be able to make the deadline. :cry_sad: I'm rather bummed about it, but as i'm getting on a plane tomorrow and won't be back for three weeks, there isn't much i can do about it.

Oh no! One of our very top builders is out of the challenge! Perhaps his expedition was waylaid somewhere in the Rakath Mountains by a band of sneaky Drow! This is a huge blow to Kaliphlin.

I'm on vacation next week, and currently have the ideas and story ready, but nothing built beyond a few small experiments. I guess I'll have to double down the last week and really work on it. It won't be my best effort, but I'll try hard to get something done.

Good to see some WIPs from Kaliphlin! I hope everyone who has discussed entries here can enter something - it would be great to see a good turnout for Kaliphlin. I am making some progress on my entry and hope to enter at least something! Some great entries so far from other guilds and our first entry from Axel. I'm hoping to comment on the individual threads over the weekend.

Sorry to hear you can't enter gabe, these builds do take it out of you. However, it does give us mortals a chance to win something! :classic:

Gabe, have a great vacation! We'll try to hold the reputation that you have earned by winning each of the first 2 challenges. That is truly a mighty blow to Kaliphlin to miss out on your entry. I am also running way behind on my builds. I will definitely enter, but it will not be to the scale that I had originally hoped for.

Yeah, i've been desperately building for the quest challenge this last week - but as of tonight i actually have to admit defeat - sorry fellow guildies, i won't be able to make the deadline. :cry_sad: I'm rather bummed about it, but as i'm getting on a plane tomorrow and won't be back for three weeks, there isn't much i can do about it. Best of luck to everyone else working on the challenge - it'd be great to see one of us come away with the points and the joust! :classic::thumbup:

Noooooo!! I have a feeling right after challenge 3 I will be doing nothing but brickworld stuff. When challenge 4 is announced I might have to be out of that one. Did you build a guardian at all?

Nocturnus' spies are always working in the background to secretly increase the chances of our dark guild. But I'm personally hunting down the spy responsible for this mess and he'll be getting the lava treatment!

Your teaser was increadible. I hope you'll finish the quest anyway. Perhaps there is some room for lego in your suitcase? :P

Greetings fellow members of Kaliphlin,

I write this to update you on my search for the water crystal. I have been following a lead that turned out to be invalid. (That is a tale for aother day) But all is not lost as at the end of that lead I met a mysterious person who has offered to help me find the actual spot of the water crystal. I hope this is not an invalid lead too... But as I write this, we travel deeper into a primeval jungle and I have seen signs of a lost civilization so I am full of hope. My guide has informed me we are near. My main concern right now is to make it back before the deadline.

I have been enjoying news of the archery contest in Mpya Stedor and am happy to hear my friend Kucuk is doing well. From what I hear the contest has turned out to be real success inspite of the bad weather. I hope the shipment of Mitgardian beer I had sent has arrived undamaged.

PS: My personal portrait painter has been trying to paint a picture of our progress but because I am pressed to make the deadline, he does not get much time to work on it.

Hope this message finds all of you in good health and fortune,

Mikel Kalores

Big time. My 2 vigs are both 2 studs high right now! But, our first and biggest quarry shipment just came in. Some fool of a court astronomer forgot to schedule for my son's birthday next weekend though!

Oof, that's a bad mistake on your astronomer's part - i guess he is seeing stars now, right? :laugh: Glad to hear you are on your way with your builds though, can't wait to see what you come up with! :sweet:

NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo :cry_sad:*oh2*

Your first scene was incredible. Gutted for you, gabe, you have put so much into it. Can you post it as a free build?

Yeah, i am pretty gutted too, truth be told... i was hoping to look back later on my time in Historica and be able to say i competed in every challenge. :cry_sad: Still, i have to put it all into perspective - the main reason that i couldn't complete in time was a dream work opportunity i had to take last week, which was awesome and quite financially rewarding too. :thumbup: It just left me with minimal time for things like sleeping etc, which bumped building right down on my list of priorities.

I'm tossing up what to do with what i've got so far - i have enough now for two completed free builds (including the council chamber), but they do kinda tie into two larger story arcs which i am still exploring, sooo... idk. :sceptic: I might wait until i'm back and then decide what to do with them.

Oh no! One of our very top builders is out of the challenge! Perhaps his expedition was waylaid somewhere in the Rakath Mountains by a band of sneaky Drow! This is a huge blow to Kaliphlin.

I'm on vacation next week, and currently have the ideas and story ready, but nothing built beyond a few small experiments. I guess I'll have to double down the last week and really work on it. It won't be my best effort, but I'll try hard to get something done.

Yeah, i seem to recall that one of those "sneaky drow" was called something odd like "the MocAthalon"... :laugh: I did rather overestimate how much i could build last month. Oh well! I'm very much looking forward to seeing your entry Gex/NM, best of luck with the build! :sweet:

Good to see some WIPs from Kaliphlin! I hope everyone who has discussed entries here can enter something - it would be great to see a good turnout for Kaliphlin. I am making some progress on my entry and hope to enter at least something! Some great entries so far from other guilds and our first entry from Axel. I'm hoping to comment on the individual threads over the weekend.

Sorry to hear you can't enter gabe, these builds do take it out of you. However, it does give us mortals a chance to win something! :classic:

Yay, looking forward to seeing your entry Wahil/Basiliscus! Yes, the back-to-back builds sure do take thier toll - 3 weeks of not touching a brick though ought to recharge my batteries. :classic:

Gabe, have a great vacation! We'll try to hold the reputation that you have earned by winning each of the first 2 challenges. That is truly a mighty blow to Kaliphlin to miss out on your entry. I am also running way behind on my builds. I will definitely enter, but it will not be to the scale that I had originally hoped for.

Thanks, i'm certainly looking forward to hitting the beach and unwinding. :classic: Best of luck with your build, i'm looking forward to seeing it! :classic:

Noooooo!! I have a feeling right after challenge 3 I will be doing nothing but brickworld stuff. When challenge 4 is announced I might have to be out of that one. Did you build a guardian at all?

I have built most of my "static" gaurdian, but haven't got around to the "awakened" gaurdian yet... i still want to finish it though 'cause i do like the idea behind it. :classic: Another for the to be finished pile for when i get back! Good luck with all the Brickworld stuff btw - is it Historica related or something else?

Nocturnus' spies are always working in the background to secretly increase the chances of our dark guild. But I'm personally hunting down the spy responsible for this mess and he'll be getting the lava treatment!

Your teaser was increadible. I hope you'll finish the quest anyway. Perhaps there is some room for lego in your suitcase? :P

Ahaha, alas no; no room in the luggage and my significant other would kill me if i tried! :wink: I might take a few "passengers" along for the ride, that'll be the extent of it i think...

Edited by gabe

That's a real shame Gabe ,I was saying to my partner just the other day that you were the person to beat and I didn't like my chances after seeing your first build.

Looking forward to seeing your builds when you get back, all rested and ready to build...Have a great holiday mate :thumbup:

Good luck with all the Brickworld stuff btw - is it Historica related or something else?

Historica and something else... EB is doing Pirates this year.

With the new black horses coming out in the LoTR sets which I plan to list as "Nightmares", I went back to my Hitchhikers guide and realized that I have not listed any dinos which have begun to be used in several Kaliphlin MOCs of late. I would like your opinion on what I should list them as, their original names or do you want to suggest new "Kaliphlin" names for them?

We should definitely have some Kaliphlin names for the dinos. I don't have any good ideas though, so the onus is on you!

Did anyone realise that the Velociraptor is actually the size of a chicken?

Talking of names we should have titles or something like that. Or an ongoing challenge or something like that.

Did anyone realise that the Velociraptor is actually the size of a chicken?

Yes, I'm pretty sure TLG is copying Jurassic Park with their dino theme and so the raptors are based off the movie as well. (edit: the lego dino website actually clarifies the raptor as being only 7 feet long which would make it only slightly longer than a minifig) Personally I'm glad they did as chicken sized dinos are just not as fun...:wink:

Some name ideas I have come up with:

T Rex = Kertenkele Kral (Lizard King)

Velociraptor = Orakayak (Sickle Toe)

Coelophysis = Kolofiz (Hollow Form)

Triceratops = Uclukorn (Triple Horn)

Edited by Mikel Kalores

Why not just call them by their normal names?

Because we are Kaliphlins and like very difficult names :laugh:

@Mikel, not bad ideas for names!

@Gabe, that is a small disaster for our Guild you can't complete Challenge 3 :sad: But have fun and enjoy your holiday!

@Medic!!!, it took some days before my message arrived at Avantia, but here it is:

"Welcome Kirk Valentine to our beautifull Guild! I am very sorry to hear what happened to your hometown and so I will send some fine craftsmen and a lot of materials to your city! As well gold from our mines wich you can use to buy everything necessary!

But as all citizens want to enjoy the Tournament first, I fear you will have to wait a few more days before they will arrive.

Neverthless, I hope once restored again, both our cities will have a flourishing tradeconnection!

Greetings, Lord Damaximus, ruler of Mpya Stedor"

@Scubacarrot, first of all, I like your picture: a mix between a carrot and scubadivegear :grin: But also I have to admit that the teasing pictures you already gave us of Challenge 3 are looking very interesting! So keep it going like that!

Attention Guild members!

Due to the scale and complexity of Challenge 3, and the great number of builders who need more time to finish their entrees, we are officially extending the deadline for Challenge 3 by 2 weeks.

This is a one-time only extension that we give because we want to see everyone at their best.

If you have already submitted, take this as an opportunity to refine your design, or focus on free builds instead; the choice is yours!

The new deadline is now May 12th 2012.

Thank you for your hard work!

-The Guild Leaders

snip

Wow, I was actually worried about getting it done on time, thanks for that, guild-leaders, you can read minds! (or other people have the same issues ;))