Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

SkaForHire:

I am sorry to hear that you have to move. I know that this can be annoying. I hope that you find a new place fast and without problems.

It's good that you can at least continue to post because we need your ideas :classic:.

DaMaximus:

I like your pyjama! At first, when I saw the pictures, I thought the genius would be the teddy you are holding :laugh:. I'm looking forward to your entry.

Edited by Christoph

I have some bad news, I may be absent in the building department for a while. My landlord decided to sell the house that I am in, so I will be scrambling to find a place. So the next few months I may have to have my collection in boxes.

I will still be around the forums and commenting though.

I almost most definitely will miss the 3rd challenge. I am sorry, I know we need the points.

I am also sorry to hear that :wacko: I hope for you that you find quickly another nice place to stay!

SI-mocs - I don't think you have anything to apologise for! :classic: You're letting us get on with things and that's the way it should be. You're letting us populate the world as we see fit and that can only mean good things!

SkaForHire - sorry to hear that you might not be building for a while. I hope you will still post around here...we will miss you!

Well done to everyone who entered the myth challenge! Some lovely entries.

Look forward to seeing all the challenge 3 entries!

SkaForHire - Good luck finding a new place. What a pain. Hope that you still actively post here even if you're not building.

I finally stole the camera back from my wife and took a picture of the first vignette of my myth. OK, so I'm a week late and don't even have it all done. But we'll just count it as a free build for Kaliphlin then.

Here's the thread for the Myth of Tiafra and Garnafuxo

6993233189_03a53fba73_z.jpg

Myth of Tiafra & Garnafuxo: Garnafuxo woos Tiafra

This is my first forced-perspective build, as well as my first microscale. I think it went fairly well. Those are the towers of the city of Messahmuk, then the moonlit Muktifra Bay, and mountains in the far distance. I purposefully kept the foreground architecture simple so as not to distract from the background view and the story. BTW, I took the liberty of deciding that our world has two moons; makes it so much more interesting.

More to come as soon as I get a chance...

Wow, excellent pic Marmot, you Kaliphlin guys have really got it together and have evolved into a really strong guild of excellent builders.

<snip>

Gabe, NM & Kayne I think this Kaliphlin building idea has some wings.

Perhaps instead of badges (actually they're called ribbons) we could have some brick built ribbons or something and as you hit more techniques you get to build a bigger ribbon or something. :wink:

My other thought is I would love to have some guest lecturers- kinda like mini-DC tutorials - but only on a specific technique.

Sure we might 'know' about a technique - but how do you REALLY use it? and effectively ? Like we all know we can stack dots for walls... but DC took it a step further and explained the proper usage and how to really work with it...

Let's have a thought on this and see where it can go...

maybe we want to make this a Historica wide inititive. :thumbup:

Wow yes - some great ideas Si... i love the "guest lecturer" one. Maybe a good place to start is to come up with a "wish list" of topics and/or potential "lecturers"?

Here is my wishlist to kick us off:

1. Microscale - You could take this one, right Si?? :sweet:

2. Brick built creatures - so many ppl i would love to hear from, but i'd especially love to hear Stormbringer talk about how he constructs his dragons. Blake Baer is another who'd be awesome.

3. Planning Mosaics and patterns - who better but Katie Walker! :thumbup: :thumbup:

4. Incorperating the elements and principles of design in your build - something i reckon we could all use a refresher on from time to time. Lecturer... idk, someone with a art background? Shannon Ocean? Mike Doyle? Cole Blaq?

5. NPU, what it is and how to acheive it - heaps of ppl would be really interesting to hear from, but the name i'd put forward first is Siercon and Coral. :classic:

Might be hard to get some of these great builders, but hey, i can dream, right? :wub:

<snip>

btw, my avatar changed to me with sleep clothes on as I am not really active atm at the forum. If everything goes like planned, I'll be back editing and updating everything Wednesday :classic:

Wow, you are working quickly on the challenge if you are planning to post on Wednesday! :oh3: I look forward to seeing what you come up with. :classic:

I have some bad news, I may be absent in the building department for a while. My landlord decided to sell the house that I am in, so I will be scrambling to find a place. So the next few months I may have to have my collection in boxes.

I will still be around the forums and commenting though.

I almost most definitely will miss the 3rd challenge. I am sorry, I know we need the points.

Ah, that sucks dude, i hope you find somewhere else soon. :sad: I'm sure we'll have plenty of guild members to step up and post cracking entries in your absence, but we'll miss your great builds.

<snip>

Here's the thread for the Myth of Tiafra and Garnafuxo

This is my first forced-perspective build, as well as my first microscale. I think it went fairly well. Those are the towers of the city of Messahmuk, then the moonlit Muktifra Bay, and mountains in the far distance. I purposefully kept the foreground architecture simple so as not to distract from the background view and the story. BTW, I took the liberty of deciding that our world has two moons; makes it so much more interesting.

More to come as soon as I get a chance...

Wow Gex, that's brilliant! I love that forced perspective, so believable. :wub: I'll have to remember that about the moons if i do something similar, great idea!

~~~~~~~

Btw, i've just posted another free-build: "The grand entrance", you can teleport to the topic (hopefully not in your PJ's!) by clicking the image:

sansaelresidence11eb_190312.jpg

I'm working on another free-build as we speak - i'm trying to work as many Kaliphlin mocs into the MocAthalon as i can! :wink:

Lord Eradhulion, I was talking about the City Guide Topic and Mpya Stedor Topic :wink:

Also as the nature light outside is getting brighter and brighter in the evening, I will finally be able to take decent pictures of my Palace (only some minor interior improvements have to be done).

About the challenge:

I am for the first time in my life sorting all my bricks so I know what I got. But I already have some ideas how to make the main MOC :classic:

A teaser for the 3rd challenge entry:

btw, my avatar changed to me with sleep clothes on as I am not really active atm at the forum. If everything goes like planned, I'll be back editing and updating everything Wednesday :classic:

Nice figs, DaMaximus! I would be equally grumpy if I was woken up and summoned :laugh:

Ska, that is bad news, I hope you find somewhere good in good time. We will miss your builds, but I hope you stay active. The Mitgardian bard competition is now open to all guilds btw and it would probably suit you. NM posted a great ditty, or do I mean shanty, there.

gabe, wow, another smashing free build. Superb ideas from you and Kayne for guest lecturers. I would love to hear about photography, "directing" the composition ("You, minifig! Stand there! No, not like that! With more, you know, oomph! And not in the way of the background detail!), and post-production techniques to help the image.

I am off agin next week, holiday this time, so I won`t get much building time for Challenge 3. Still struggling a bit to come up with something suitably on-topic yet off-beat, that I can execute on. I don`t really want to get caught up in a bestiary arms race of "my dragon`s better than your manticore" - mostly because I won`t stand a hope at brick built beasties! I am thinking along the lines that Water is the Significant Thing going on with our crystal....

:classic:

Gabe, that looks fantastic! I'll have to post in the thread...

NM posted a great ditty, or do I mean shanty, there.

Thanks! I didn't expect that Eurobricks would give me my first experience in songwriting, but widening horizons is what this is all about I guess...

Still struggling a bit to come up with something suitably on-topic yet off-beat, that I can execute on.

Yes, I am having trouble with the ideas for this one too. Glad to know that I'm not the only one suffering from a block on this challenge...

I am thinking along the lines that Water is the Significant Thing going on with our crystal....

Exactly!

Gabe - Fantastic MOC you made there!

The following are several ideas I thought about for Challenge 3:

1. Hidden Oasis

2. Jungle River

3. Desolate Swamp

4. Underground Lake (the one I am attempting to create)

I am reading through the last pages of this thread and read about the guest-lecture idea; what a great idea! I would love to learn and see other techniques explained by the best. I am at the moment working on a dragon and just cant get the legs right, something like that would really help out than.

I know most of those builders and I'm sure they would be happy to say a few words if asked, I think it will all come down to when they have time free to do it. For NPU, Slyowl and Legohaulic come to mind, their my all time fav builders. I have often thought that setting up a castle interview series would be cool

A tale of a knight, her squire, a spider and the royal bedchambers:

Looks good. Don't mess with Ginny! Can you post a pic of one of those minifigs close up without the sword and shield blocking the torso and legs? Can't fully see the torso in those shots.

Good looking bed too. I built a four-poster for the embassy build, and it wasn't easy. I used bars for the posts, which was a pain. Those cone pieces are probably a better choice. I assume you've got a pin or bar inside them holding them together.

Nice arachnid btw. I like the Ahsoka head-tails on the spider's head. Can't see the body very well, but the legs look great.

Looks good. Don't mess with Ginny! Can you post a pic of one of those minifigs close up without the sword and shield blocking the torso and legs? Can't fully see the torso in those shots.

Good looking bed too. I built a four-poster for the embassy build, and it wasn't easy. I used bars for the posts, which was a pain. Those cone pieces are probably a better choice. I assume you've got a pin or bar inside them holding them together.

Nice arachnid btw. I like the Ahsoka head-tails on the spider's head. Can't see the body very well, but the legs look great.

Here are 3 more pics but I'll have to post the closeups of the minifigs tomorrow. And yes I used the longer bar with the small stopping knob near one end like Gandalf's staff on thelordoftherings.lego.com/

spider4.jpg

spider3.jpg

spider2.jpg

Edited by Mikel Kalores

DC-I agree about the NPU speakers, and possibly Nannan as well. They are definitely legends. As for a castle series of speakers, there are a ton that would be fun to hear from: Daniel Z 'DNL', Brian Corredor, Rocko(if we could lure him out of retirement), Eggy Pop, BusyBoy, and on and on.....of course we already have you here to pick your brain as well :cry_happy:

Mikel-That arachnid looks great!

Great work on everything the last few weeks, I am finally back to my bricks after a long awaited vacation. I can't wait to see what everyone is working on for challenge three.

Mikel- As someone who is terrified of anything that looks remotely like a spider, you did a great job on the spider build. I am going to have to quickly scroll past the image now to keep from shuddering! :cry_sad:

If anyone lives close to the Downtown Disney Lego store in Florida, they had a great selection of Kaliphlin colors and bricks available. I stocked up on tons of 1X2 and 1X3 bricks in both tan and dark bley. I wish they would have had a couple boxes to sell, but alas the employee I talked to said as soon as they get any trucks in they usually go directly to the wall since they are so busy. I am going to go talk to my local store and see if they have gotten in any of the new things they had down there.

The tutorial idea is a great one, I know for me I would like to see one focused on photography and lighting. I just purchased a new camera, so no more blurry pictures coming from me anymore once I get the setting right. :classic:

And Finally...

Here is a preview of my challenge three I am working on. I'm really playing with a few new ideas I haven't tried before. I am learning quickly how many bricks curved walls really eat up. I thought I would have enough for both the left and right side, but it looks like I will have to bricklink a few things. I am thinking on making the bottom level partly rock face with the arches built in around the rock.

Right now I am planning on having a right and left side with the arches, and then build up the middle with the crystals resting place. I am thinking hidden oasis type build, with maybe a waterfall if I can get it to look right. I am just going to keep playing around till I find something I like.

The guardian is going to be my hardest part to figure out. I have a few ideas, but will probably keep it to myself for the time being so it can be a surprise when I am done :devil:

6855684596_9e7b2b7fe1.jpg

WIP- Historica Challenge 3 by erynlasgalen, on Flickr

A tale of a knight, her squire, a spider and the royal bedchambers:

Spider.jpg

THIS IS unbelivable-freaccking-fantastic! BRAVO! I am astonished :)

this is best Drider that I've seen made of lego :)

Hat down for you, my friend;)

6855684596_9e7b2b7fe1.jpg

I love the atmosphere here ;)

If anyone lives close to the Downtown Disney Lego store in Florida, they had a great selection of Kaliphlin colors and bricks available. I stocked up on tons of 1X2 and 1X3 bricks in both tan and dark bley. I wish they would have had a couple boxes to sell, but alas the employee I talked to said as soon as they get any trucks in they usually go directly to the wall since they are so busy. I am going to go talk to my local store and see if they have gotten in any of the new things they had down there.

Interesting. I hit the Santa Clara, CA store on Saturday (big mistake, it was a total zoo). They had a great selection of Kaliphlin-style bricks there for once! Including: 2x2 tan, 1x3 tan and dark bley, 2x4 black and dark bley, 2x3 dark bley and white, 4x6 tan and blue plates, 2x6 tan plates, 2x3 black slopes, 2x6 light bley, 1x4 reddish brown log bricks, and a few other pieces that I didn't pick up. If anyone of you is in the area, it might be worth a trip.

I know I've been talking already long of it, but finally it is finished...

Ladies and gentlemen, fine brothers and sisters of my beloved Guild...

I, Lord Damaximus, present you with a lot of pride the next free build MOC:

MPYA STEDOR PALACE

msp1.jpg

First: Go to the Palace Topic to see the rest of it ==> link

Second: C&C is always welcome

Third: don't forget to participate in the Mpya Stedor Archery Tournament! First price will be 15€! ==> link

And some other good news: the next free build (Mpya Stedor City Walls) is already built and pictures are taken, so expect another MOC of me soon!

Kanye - Thanks for the compliment!

Erynlasgalen - I myself am not too fond of spiders. However as an explorer of the Siccus Badlands, it is a rare day that I do not encounter one so I have sort of gotten used to them... BTW I like the leafy canopy on your MOC.

Angeli - Thanks! Getting a compliment on Drow related subject matter from the Drow Master Builder is an honor!

DaMaximus - Your palace looks great! Is the inside decorated?

DaMaximus - Your palace looks great! Is the inside decorated?

Haha, if you want to know this, you will have to click the link under the picture ^^

But I am in a good mood, so: yes, heavily decorated and here is the post: link

Brothers and Sisters from Kaliphlin and the rest of Historica: as promised another free build for Kaliphlin:

Mpya Stedor City Wall

mswic1.jpg

mswic6.jpg

The rest of the pictures can be found in this topic => My link

Mpya Stedor is developing beautifully and with a great cast of characters. Great stuff DaMaximus.

Mikel, best spider ever! Great legs and use of a tyre. Now I see the whole point of that geonosian torso= female knight debate, looks perfect in tan.

Erynlasgalen, I have serious PaB envy now. Your grotto looks lovely, especially the floor and ceiling, very nice texture and lighting.

Is anyone planning to go underwater for Challenge 3? It seems like a bit of a gift to Kaliphlin, but it`s hard to get it right. My best idea now is themed on flying fish.

:classic:

Haha, if you want to know this, you will have to click the link under the picture ^^

But I am in a good mood, so: yes, heavily decorated and here is the post: link

Sorry, stupid question. I was in a rush and didn't read... Anyway thanks for the link!

robuko - Thanks!