Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Thanks Mikel, I'm considering using the parts from the other two to try and attempt a larger Centurion type one.

NM I forgot to reply, I can't see many people buying it, it's a nice idea but I think all they need is a little organizing into one topic or over on the wiki or something.

Tashbaan that wyrm looks fantastic and a great story.

Angeli It was my inspiration and felt they could belong in Historica.

Si I think opening it up to all would be good, get some more votes in :thumbup:

Si I think opening it up to all would be good, get some more votes in :thumbup:

Mitgardia may vote, but not Avalonia.

Otherwise the candidate with the biggest ecological propagandaplan will have to much votes :laugh:

My brothers and sisters of the South.

I cordially invite you to sit and listen to tales told by some of our finest story tellers.

Go forth to Story time with Kaliphlin and vote for your favourite story weaver!

I cordially invite you to sit and listen to tales told by some of our finest story tellers.

Go forth to Story time with Kaliphlin and vote for your favourite story weaver!

I might have a PQ battlepack or two stashed away somewhere if you want to distribute more prizes...

I might have a PQ battlepack or two stashed away somewhere if you want to distribute more prizes...

I should have enough for the first few challenges.... depending on how many we do I may take you up on it... (though unlikely)

I saw this in Avalonia thread and thought I would just repost it here with my response.

snapback.pngCaptain BeerBeard, on 13 March 2012 - 02:01 AM, said:

I have some input. I try to reply to all Avalonian mocs I see on page one. I hardly get any reply from Avalonian's in my moc's. This make's me feel like I'm not even building for Avalonia. So, I guess what I'm saying is "If I leave you a comment and you don't comment on my moc's, I'm not even going to look at your's anymore". This whole GoH thing was supposedly to help people improve building skills. There is no improvment without feedback. Tell me I'm wrong. It's just been nothing but typical Eurobricks. Competition.

While I am not a member of Avalonia, I would like to comment on this...

I myself am often times overwhelmed at all the amazing MOCs that are produced in Historica. If I were to comment on all the MOCs that have inspired me, I would have to quit building. I just want to put it out there that if you comment on one of my MOC's, thank you very much and I really apreciate it but it doesn't mean that I will neccesarily coment back. Not that I don't want to, or that I don't like your MOCs any more than ones I do happen to comment on. Its just time. The way I see it when I post something, is that it is for the enjoyment of the community but whether the individual enjoys it or not is up to the individual. I'm not going to get heartsick because I don't get any comments or thumbs up. Even though I try to comment on most of my guilds topics, I know that there are quite a few that I miss so I hope there won't be any hard feelings about it.

GoH is an awesome project and IMO everyone here that continues to post MOCs is helping to make this project the awesomeness that it is... so please when you feel like you aren't a part of GoH, remember that somewhere, at sometime, your participation HAS made a mark on GoH.

Edited by Mikel Kalores

I myself am often times overwhelmed at all the amazing MOCs that are produced in Historica. If I were to comment on all the MOCs that have inspired me, I would have to quit building. I just want to put it out there that if you comment on one of my MOC's, thank you very much and I really apreciate it but it doesn't mean that I will neccesarily coment back. Not that I don't want to, or that I don't like your MOCs any more than ones I do happen to comment on. Its just time. The way I see it when I post something, is that it is for the enjoyment of the community but whether the individual enjoys it or not is up to the individual. I'm not going to get heartsick because I don't get any comments or thumbs up. Even though I try to comment on most of my guilds topics, I know that there are quite a few that I miss so I hope there won't be any hard feelings about it.

GoH is an awesome project and IMO everyone here that continues to post MOCs is helping to make this project the awesomeness that it is... so please when you feel like you aren't a part of GoH, remember that somewhere, at sometime, your participation HAS made a mark on GoH.

Nicely said.

We all go through ups and downs in participation, mostly because of other demands on our time. While we'd (probably) all like to see tons of comments on our MOCs (it bumps them, and validates our effort), I'm not going to be upset if you don't comment. (I might be upset if no one comments at all...) Likewise, if I didn't post on your thread, it's probably because I was busy with work, I thought your MOC was good (but not unbelievably innovative), and I couldn't see anything I'd do differently.

And actually, it's pretty annoying when someone goes through 30 threads and posts a comment on each one stating 'Great MOC! I really like your work!' and bumps them all up as unread for no real reason at all.

I agree, I try to get to everyone in the guild's MOC, but I don't have incredible amounts of time. Although, if I see your MOC I will make sure I give it a bump... you are my guildmates after all. Even if that means just a "Great job, I like technique x you used" :) I do try to reciprocate feedback, but it doesn't always happen.

Anyway, I don't think we have this in Kaliphlin, most people here are laid back about their posts and MOCs, and we are fairly regular about getting 5 or 6 comments to everyone. Also, we tend to comment in this thread often also.

Aaah, I was meaning to enter, but forgot all about it, shows what good being busy is. :hmpf_bad: Anyway, very well done to all who entered the mini-challenge, fun read-throughs! At least this gives me some more time for the big challenge :)

Anyway, I don't think we have this in Kaliphlin, most people here are laid back about their posts and MOCs, and we are fairly regular about getting 5 or 6 comments to everyone. Also, we tend to comment in this thread often also.

I definitely agree with this. We definitely seem to have a 'family' feel to the Kaliphlin Guild, and I know that when I post a MOC, the comments I get are usually not just the obligatory "Great MOC", but instead have something useful for me to think of in the future. That is the kind of post I enjoy most about my MOC's. The whole reason I joined GoH was to improve as a builder and have a chance to team up with some other builders of various skill levels. The wide array of skill in the builders help us all, as even those that don't build the traditionally popular style or may not have as many bricks, often have unique ideas that traditional builders do not employ.

I can say for a fact that the entire experience thus far has changed how I build, and how I look at others' builds as well.

Now that I've sounded all warm and mushy, let's all pull in for a Guild Hug :wub:

Edited by Kayne

First off, I would like toe apologize.

I know of the four GL's that I'm the worst at commenting on individual threads. Both from Kaliphlin and the others. I still look through most of everyone's post but I simply do not have time/most of the time it's on a little phone that makes replying and typing extremely difficult. Coupled with my busy work schedule and building obsession results in not as much time as I should be spending commenting on all your wonderful creations -which truly does make me proud.

I'm not going to promise to suddenly spend the additional hours required to post in every single thread.... but I WILL promise to continue to respond and reply to EVERY SINGLE post in this thread. And I do click on every link added here. Just cause I don't reply there, and reply on in this thread - please don't take that the wrong way, or that I"m lazy... it's tough coming up with two non redundant comments :P

(In fact I almost declined the Regulator role due to GoH ....)

That being said, I think we have a fantastic guild - and I don't really think you even NEED me. It's always great when I have to disappear for a bit and come back and everything is running smoothly. :thumbup:

:GUILD HUG:

And as I've said in the past - if there is anything you guys want to see done, suggestions or ideas, I'm always one PM or post away.

--

Dugal [/b} that bear is not tickling my poor Slave-Sister Kathyrin! They're locked in a life-and-death cuddle match!

Mikel I can't wait to see your brick built monsters :grin:

Kcaj I must visit this Skyrim world you speak of. But alas I hear it is a very very very very long and enjoyable voyage.

The WIP is great. I think that's probably one of the best oasisy growth I've seen in awhile. I love how it looks so organic coming blooming in the desert. And the idea and is fantastic.

The non grassy area in the corner looks great so far... the only thing I would suggest to bump up the difficulty and awesomeness is try to make it more slopped... like a giant bowl ... would be pretty cool :devil:

Wahil Yes the prize for Challenge 3 was great... and if someone here wins... well I might sneak something else in the package... :innocent:

Saladus That sounds wonderful idea... And this challenge is just that ... suppose to be challenging... including the 'guardians'...

Master Cartographer Gex Interesting idea for the photobook... though at this time with 6 story builds it may be a bit thin... Though I think we should still think about printing up some large maps.

Maybe print some up for BW and get it signed by some guildies there :excited:

Kcaj Some GREAT looking Sentries ... Very impressive us of dark perl gold.

Abū Thanks... I wanted to tell a silly story - so it was a loop hole to do it while being 'serious' ....

BTW the creation story was really well done. Great example of brilliant concept and small-well built mocs to go with it. No need to build a massive build :thumbup:

Tashbaan Another great story... it's going to be hard for me to vote! ...

The worm and the sand around it is super well done. I love those two 1x6 curved slopes and how you can JUUUUST see the grey under it... great touch.

Also, we tend to comment in this thread often also.

Yes, I've noticed that we are fairly chatty in this thread, in a good way. I know I can count on you all for some insightful and amusing commentary almost every day. Maybe it's the guild personality. Kaliphlin and Mitgardia both have just over 45,000 views in their threads at this point. But we have 200 more posts, or almost 30% more, than Mitgardia. We must be fairly sociable, whilst they are the stoic, taciturn Scandinavian types.

Dear Kaliphins,

Just a quick message to let you know I thoroughly enjoyed your story contest. I hope this is the right place to say thanks. Some really cool builds too. Christoph's Myth of Erezhi was my favourite.

Don't ever say stoic, sturdy Mitgardians cannot be touched by beautiful stories. :classic:

By the way, I also recognise the discussion about time and commenting. I wish I had more time!

May the strength of the sky inspire you.

I know of the four GL's that I'm the worst at commenting on individual threads. Both from Kaliphlin and the others. I still look through most of everyone's post but I simply do not have time/most of the time it's on a little phone that makes replying and typing extremely difficult. Coupled with my busy work schedule and building obsession results in not as much time as I should be spending commenting on all your wonderful creations -which truly does make me proud.

No problem at all. I think we all know your style now -- you disappear for a day or two, and then you do a big post with lots of comments to catch up. It works fine. No need to apologize. That job thing does tend to get in the way. I wouldn't be able to post nearly as much if I wasn't working from home most days now.

I'm not going to promise to suddenly spend the additional hours required to post in every single thread.... but I WILL promise to continue to respond and reply to EVERY SINGLE post in this thread. And I do click on every link added here. Just cause I don't reply there, and reply on in this thread - please don't take that the wrong way, or that I"m lazy... it's tough coming up with two non redundant comments :P

Well, don't feel that you need to respond to absolutely every post, especially all my inane ones...

That being said, I think we have a fantastic guild - and I don't really think you even NEED me. It's always great when I have to disappear for a bit and come back and everything is running smoothly. :thumbup:

The state of the guild is merely a reflection of its great leader! :grin: (And its members too)

:GUILD HUG:

Jeez, you sure do squeeze tightly for a little guy!

Master Cartographer Gex Interesting idea for the photobook... though at this time with 6 story builds it may be a bit thin...

You're absolutely right; it would be a bit thin at this point. I wrote my story and got the first vignette built, but no more, and my wife has been hogging the camera. I'll finish it eventually and post it. But we probably do need a few more stories. I'm sure people will build other ones outside of the challenge. Robuko/Rasputin Jones is probably good for a few more; good stories seem to be his specialty.

Though I think we should still think about printing up some large maps.

Maybe print some up for BW and get it signed by some guildies there :excited:

Great idea. I've really fallen behind on the maps. I'll try to devote some time this week to updating the detailed maps and posting them to Flickr and the wiki, and linking to MOCs from them. It's not that hard. Then after that, I'll work on a print-ready version of the main map.

Since the 3rd challenge was announced, I've been keeping a list of general techniques that I've seen in MOCs, to perhaps try to expand my repertoire for the challenge. I thought I'd share what I've got so far in case anyone else is interested, and also to see if anyone has some ideas about what could be added to the list. I realized that there are a lot of techniques that I've never tried, or haven't been terribly successful at, and I ought to make note of them.

Techniques, in no particular order

• SNOT in general
  • angled / off alignment builds (rotated, not aligned with base)
  • round walls and towers
  • the half-timbered look
  • 1x1 round plate walls / "the Derfel Cadarn look"
  • mosaics
  • 'stained glass'
  • brick-built creatures
  • forced perspective
  • landscaping (sand/dirt terrain, greenery, trees (in various styles), rocks & cliffs)
  • water (flowing, still, waterfalls, waves)
  • different roof styles (slopes, plates, tiles, 1x1 round bricks, ...)
  • fancy architectural detailing
  • furniture
  • different door and window techniques
  • SNOT tile stonework
  • modular builds
  • different scales (microscale, macroscale)
  • NPU, innovative use of pieces

Other, non-building, techniques

• photography (creative lighting, depth-of-field techniques)
  • photo-editing (backgrounds, borders, text)
  • LDD
  • story-writing
  • scene composition

Some of these I feel like I've already done fairly well, but a lot of them I haven't. And GoH is just the place to encourage me to use some of these. :classic:

It would be cool if we had something like 'badges' for these. You'd get a 'badge' for a technique when the guild decided that you'd really nailed in an MOC. Then you could put the badge icon in your sig or something. Add creating badge icons to my list of things to do someday...

Any additions to these lists?

Edited by NiceMarmot

:classic: Dextrus, a moving story, wonderfully told. The legend of Kathyrin leading the little ones to freedom and tickling a bear is a firm favourite in the Jones household. We all know the bear became her devoted pet afterwards, but where did the little folk settle?

Kcaj, this is a really promising start. I really like the stonework in the top right corner, the guardians are brilliant, and the fountais will look amazing lit up.

Mikel, a very intriguing beginning and a cautionary tale, we are curious what lies within. Duke Strange's chef Anatole begs you to preserve some of these new spiders, to serve with coffee. The spider on a string looks great.

NM, "building modular" in the style of SoT and removeable walls and doing proper finishing have been occupying my thoughts lately, seen some very nicely finished vigs, I think from de Gothia, that capture the essence well.

Oh, I totally agree with the comments on comments above. I am always delighted to get thoughtful C&C, but many of us have demanding jobs, families and other priorities. If I have time, I try to give constructive feedback if someone asks for it, otherwise I tend to follow the late great Nnenn's view that the model has been built as the builder wanted it, and I am more likely to note aspects that I particularly admire.

Captain BB is a fantastic and prolific builder, I do wonder if his character Zakon Goldblade is a Nocturnus agent, maybe the chaos he has incited in Avalonia a couple of times is a type of gamesmanship?

Greetings fellow guild members! Gosh, sorry it's been a long time in-between drinks, i seem to have hit a busy patch. :wacko: Anyway, i finally finished my build for the "tales and legends" mini-challenge, too late, alas! But never too late for a free build, right? :wink: Anyway, you can read all about it here, should you wish: (click the pic!)

waterhorsemytheb_140312.jpg

Anyway, i loved reading all the other stories - some cracker builds in there too. I particularly liked "The Order of the Mad Monks", a perfect illustration of the very old Kaliphlin saying; "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!" :wink:

I read all about that kerfuffle with Cpt Beerbeard mouthing off (again! how tiring) in the Avalonia forum - all i can say is, i'm certainly glad he's not in our guild. The whole premise of "the only way to improve is through feedback" is a bit of a furphy i reckon - anyone has the power to reflect upon their own builds, gain inspiration from what others have done and interrogate thier own practice. That is mainly how we improve - by trying new things, and trying them often. Not everything will work, and creative progress is rarely in a straight line so we might not even notice our improvement for a while, but this is the best way i reckon. As the old proverb (a favourite of mine) says: "The work will show you how to do it". I reckon GoH does a magnificent job of providing a focus for many builders to come together and share our ideas and enthusiasm, and the quality of the builds and the conversations we are having are a true testament to that.

I too have been overwhelmed by the amount of amazing GoH MOC's to look at and comment on - i never seem to get round to them all! I do try to comment on all the Kaliphlin creations when i can find the time though. :classic: I understand some people's annoyance with pointless thread-bumping, but tbh, this has been the only way i've managed to keep up with some of the older builds i've missed commenting on.. :laugh: For myself, i try to make my comments follow the "good news sandwich" format... start with praise, then add your criticism (if any), then finish with more praise. This gives the builder some good strokes (which we all need) and also provides them with something more substantial to think about. Anyway, that's my 2 cents about commenting. :classic:

Gex, i like you idea about building a "technique repertoire"... i do a similar thing, listing techniques i've seen and would like to try, then building ideas around them, rather than just starting with the idea itself. :thumbup: The one thing i'd add to your list might be "working in different scale" - it's something that's been on my mind recently, how some scales inherantly suit some builds better than others. Much of the detail in Mike Doyle's houses, for instance, comes from the monumental scale he works in, but equally, some builds work best by simplification and are thus very small. Of course this could be combined with the use of forced perspective etc, so it's not very clear cut... :sceptic:

I am less sure about the badges idea, although i see what you are driving at; it might get quite cluttered though with many badges for techniques. Maybe a "level based" reward system would work better, where you got points for incorperating techniques well in your builds, and level up to a new rank only once you had accrued enough points? Kind of like our very own "Kaliphian architechture academy"... :laugh:

Robuko, thanks for the building technique ideas; I'll incorporate them into the list.

... it might get quite cluttered though with many badges for techniques. Maybe a "level based" reward system would work better, where you got points for incorperating techniques well in your builds, and level up to a new rank only once you had accrued enough points? Kind of like our very own "Kaliphian architechture academy"... :laugh:

Yes, it would get cluttered. I like your Kaliphlin Architecture Academy idea. I'm not big on titles, which was one of my concerns about the badge idea. But some sort of levels or degrees from an 'academy' might work well. I'll have to think about it some more...

6464513313_04005bd34c_z.jpg

Gex, Is this where the crystal is hiding? Monsters, water, a thin veil between the worlds...prophetic.

I like the Academy idea rather than the badge. Maye it could somehow fit in with the Petraea University Community Guild Build? (if that`s the right interpretation, I missed that discussion while I was away.) I imagine the concept of Unseen University meets Hogwarts meets Arabian Nights, it would have no time limit as a team build, it`s infinitely expansible depending on what technique you want to try next, and each module earns you Academy Architecture badge kudos depending what technique skills you used....

:classic:

Wow, some great ideas coming out of this whole thing here.

NM-I thinnk the whole idea of rewarding the Guild members for new techniques could really inspire some otherwise never imagined builds for our Guild.

gabe-The architecture academy would fit absolutely perfectly. Plus like you said we wouldn't be too cluttered with badges, and it would still give everyone incentive to try new things.

robuko-As soon as you mentioned the Petraea University build I started thinking of different interior wings that we could build focused on different types of architecture, culture, learning, etc...

In other news.....how's everyone coming on their C3 builds? I'd love to see someone from our Guild win that great prize!

Master Cartographer Gex - Don't worry about updating the maps unless there is a need ;)

Interesting list you have compiled... I agree with what others said.

The only other thought/idea I have is ... 'nice piece use' or NPU design... ie build designs out of an interesting piece/different usage.

EG my entire Guild Hall came out of the realization that you can flip those arches side ways.

Draconus' throne room was snotted/sideways arches... etc

I assume 'Angled' builds you mean things rotated on a stud and not built at standard 90 degrees?

good list - but I'm not sure if we need to give points for usage... if anything (as Gabe mentioned) everyone should keep a list and see how many you can get in a build - as more technique will equate to more interesting builds and MORE POINTS! (and maybe Jousts!).

The other thought I had is if people keep the list and see if they can use every technique through the year in a guild build... in fact I think I might just do that :laugh:

My dear Rasputin,The bear may make another appearance... but not for awhile...

As for the little folk... look around!

*raises mug* this finest brew was concocted by one such fine folk!

And the beer-battered griffen wings... - you guessed it! That's Steve's speciality.

Tower Master Erudhalion - Your MOCS are always so inspired. Such variety and ingenuity ... fabulous work ... as always.

As for feedback - I wouldn't necessarily say feedback isn't useful - I agree it isn't even close to the best way to improve your skills. Usually I tend to be my own harshest critic and I can 'see' where I went wrong or where I ran out of this or was frankly lazy... (and once images are posted I don't know how many times I look back and be like - damn why didn't I do that?) - but at the same time feedback both early WIP and final product - can give people ideas - or where things could work better or some inspiration/better ideas. It may or may not help you build as a better builder per se - but I find it drives me to do better or opens up new 'directions' when I discuss my works with people (both WIP and finished).

It's almost like proof reading - it's really hard to proof read your own work. You get a better finished product if someone looks over it - but you're likely to make the same mistake next build. ;)

It's interesting you pointed out building scale - I was literally day dreaming about that at work today... ever since I did the Force Prospective shot (and consequently my first Micro) I've been on a micro kick!

I've did my first micro ship, and just finished my first Micro City (sci-fi - sorry guildies!).

And I was actually starting thinking of possible builds to do the reverse - the large scale something - like Mike Doyle's houses! :laugh: - Great minds think a like. :look:

Gabe, NM & Kayne I think this Kaliphlin building idea has some wings.

Perhaps instead of badges (actually they're called ribbons) we could have some brick built ribbons or something and as you hit more techniques you get to build a bigger ribbon or something. :wink:

My other thought is I would love to have some guest lecturers- kinda like mini-DC tutorials - but only on a specific technique.

Sure we might 'know' about a technique - but how do you REALLY use it? and effectively ? Like we all know we can stack dots for walls... but DC took it a step further and explained the proper usage and how to really work with it...

Let's have a thought on this and see where it can go...

maybe we want to make this a Historica wide inititive. :thumbup:

SI-the idea of guest speakers, and making it Historica wide would probably be a huge benefit to everyone involved. There are some really prolific builders in GoH that could add a ton of knowledge for others to use. But, for anyone that has some connections that are not on GoH, bringing in a guest to give some tutorials would be truly epic!

Imagine, Brian Kescenovitz coming in to give tutorials on the connections he uses for mech articulation(it could be used for brick built creatures), or Keith Goldman on how to manage a large scale build and make it feel lived in. The possibilities are endless, and being a newb, I only even know of a few of the greats!

I like the architecture academy idea. Maybe the different building techniques list can be added to the Kaliphlin initial post where it won't get lost in the multitudes of corespondance? default_look.gif

A teaser for the 3rd challenge entry:

teaser2.jpg

teaser1.jpg

The 3 heroes in the teaser:

- History professor Geschi Edeh Nis who summoned the Genius

- Genius Kahneej South

- Lord Damaximus who was laying in his bed just before he was teleported...

Not excellent quality of the pics, I know, but it's just a teaser.

btw, my avatar changed to me with sleep clothes on as I am not really active atm at the forum. If everything goes like planned, I'll be back editing and updating everything Wednesday :classic:

I have some bad news, I may be absent in the building department for a while. My landlord decided to sell the house that I am in, so I will be scrambling to find a place. So the next few months I may have to have my collection in boxes.

I will still be around the forums and commenting though.

I almost most definitely will miss the 3rd challenge. I am sorry, I know we need the points.