Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

My lord Dextrus,

The Nähtamatu have been traversing the Dune Seas where we make residence in this catamaran.

(image)

Constructed from the weathered wood of the Withered Woods, this catamaran is what the Nähtamatu use to skim across the Dune Seas in the center of Kaliphlin. The thin wood found in the forests of the Withered Woods, is the only material that is both strong and light enough to traverse the treacherous Dune Sea.

(image)

We can commission the guilds to build a fleet if these if necessary to protect Kaliphlin!

I really like the catamaran philosophy to host the ballista! Nice ship!

Saladus al Juhtiv, your catamaran is an excellent ship to traverse the dune sea and the addition of the ballista will be great for defending our lands, quick and mobile I can see many of these navigating across the dune sea. Back in my home city of Samrd'dha we called these catamarans of the desert 'Dune Skimmers' at high speeds their light weight hulls would skim the surface of the sands but be vary of dunes, there have been many a wreck lost in this unforgiven land buried under the sands but I'm sure your navigator is skilled enough and is aware.

(Damaximus, it reminds me of the lost city of Hamunatra from The Mummy movie.)

Happy New Year to All!

How about Disney's Aladdin for a movie?

Thanks all for your suggestions. Actually, Aladdin was a brilliant idea. I have also been watching Cars and Dune, which feature lots of desert, and the simple conclusion is, deserts are difficult! So many colours, and it is hard to get the depth of contrast in bricks. The best inspiration for buildings I found was in travel guidebooks to India and Turkey.

Here's the remaining detailed map of Siccus,

6592585829_5b0300d5dc_b.jpg

Northeast Siccus (Kaliphlin Guild)

Lovely map again, Master Cartographer! I am not really a fan of the "this is my town" ethos, but I would like to ask for a plot on the Eastern Shore of Lake Arrakhen on the Qar-Akhen river for the Temple of the Mad Monks, a future build.

A siege weapon from Samrd'dha.

Kcaj, your skills of invention are justly famous, this is a very nice piece of kit. Love the oasis too.

Saladus al Juhtiv, welcome to you and your Nähtamatu friends. May you find peace and prosperity in Kaliphlin. Your Dune Sea catamaran is a worthy transport, do you lose many to the Giant Sandworms? Or are the catamarans too fast?

I have posted a new free build, the PGTC New Year Feast for the World`s End Caravan Company, in this post. C&C welcomed as always.

Our Nocturnian Trade Representative, Duke Strange, is planning to host his annual ball at the Nocturnian embassy this spring. The 48x48 plot is a puzzle for me - if you include street and adjoining buildings, it shrinks fast, should I leave them out? Courtyard or town house?

:classic:

Lovely map again, Master Cartographer! I am not really a fan of the "this is my town" ethos, but I would like to ask for a plot on the Eastern Shore of Lake Arrakhen on the Qar-Akhen river for the Temple of the Mad Monks, a future build.

Rasputin, no problem at all; go ahead and build. I like the idea of the Temple of the Mad Monks; I believe I was taught by several of them in high school as a matter of fact...

There's certainly no need to ask me before building in an area. I'm not big on claiming an area / town either, but it is natural for people to want a home for their characters. Here's the way I think this has been developing in Kaliphlin. I wouldn't say these are rules, just my perception of the way things have developed so far, and some proposals for the future:

• It's OK for your character to have a home town or base
  • If you build an MOC or vignette in an unnamed area, you can name the area
  • If you build an MOC somewhere, you can name some of the unnamed geographical features nearby. You can also add nearby geographical features, as long as they fit with the local landscape.
  • If you have a home town, you probably get to create the primary back-story / history for that town.
  • Other people can add to your town's history, but should keep within the outlines of the primary story.
  • Anyone can build an MOC anywhere, without asking permission of anyone.
  • Many people, if building in someone else's hometown, will want to inform the other person first, and ask for feedback, but that's not strictly necessary. If building in someone else's hometown, try to keep within the general outline of the 'look' of their existing MOCs and fit into their existing back-story.
  • We don't carve out plots of land like some other guilds. You're welcome to settle in an area, build MOCs, and even exercise a certain degree of political influence and control on the area, but we're not carving up the Siccus into little fiefdoms with borders and so forth. In part, this is because we've got a lot of land and not so many people, so there should be room for all. It's also because this is about building with LEGO, not empire-building. None of us could possibly manage to build more than a small town out of LEGO, much less an entire province.
  • Petraea, Barqa, and Qarkyr, as the largest cities in the Siccus, are more 'open' cities, meaning that no one person should control their story, look, etc. If you want to make one of these cities your hometown, that's great (we need some builds and history especially in Barqa and Qarkyr), and you can even set the back-story for a neighborhood.
  • The Master Cartographer is a bit reluctant to add and name features to the maps unless you've built an MOC or vignette in that area. Unless your idea/name is so great that it just has to be on there.

Like I said, these aren't rules (because I'm in no position to make rules), but just my opinion on the unstated way things have been done so far in the Guild. Feedback and discussion welcomed.

Rasputin, no problem at all; go ahead and build. I like the idea of the Temple of the Mad Monks; I believe I was taught by several of them in high school as a matter of fact...

There's certainly no need to ask me before building in an area. I'm not big on claiming an area / town either, but it is natural for people to want a home for their characters. Here's the way I think this has been developing in Kaliphlin. I wouldn't say these are rules, just my perception of the way things have developed so far, and some proposals for the future:

• It's OK for your character to have a home town or base
  • If you build an MOC or vignette in an unnamed area, you can name the area
  • If you build an MOC somewhere, you can name some of the unnamed geographical features nearby. You can also add nearby geographical features, as long as they fit with the local landscape.
  • If you have a home town, you probably get to create the primary back-story / history for that town.
  • Other people can add to your town's history, but should keep within the outlines of the primary story.
  • Anyone can build an MOC anywhere, without asking permission of anyone.
  • Many people, if building in someone else's hometown, will want to inform the other person first, and ask for feedback, but that's not strictly necessary. If building in someone else's hometown, try to keep within the general outline of the 'look' of their existing MOCs and fit into their existing back-story.
  • We don't carve out plots of land like some other guilds. You're welcome to settle in an area, build MOCs, and even exercise a certain degree of political influence and control on the area, but we're not carving up the Siccus into little fiefdoms with borders and so forth. In part, this is because we've got a lot of land and not so many people, so there should be room for all. It's also because this is about building with LEGO, not empire-building. None of us could possibly manage to build more than a small town out of LEGO, much less an entire province.
  • Petraea, Barqa, and Qarkyr, as the largest cities in the Siccus, are more 'open' cities, meaning that no one person should control their story, look, etc. If you want to make one of these cities your hometown, that's great (we need some builds and history especially in Barqa and Qarkyr), and you can even set the back-story for a neighborhood.
  • The Master Cartographer is a bit reluctant to add and name features to the maps unless you've built an MOC or vignette in that area. Unless your idea/name is so great that it just has to be on there.

Like I said, these aren't rules (because I'm in no position to make rules), but just my opinion on the unstated way things have been done so far in the Guild. Feedback and discussion welcomed.

I definitely second this entire post, I think that is how we have been running, and it is working smoothly.

Rasputin you are too kind, thank you for your comments. As to the plot for your embassy, mine will be in the small town of Konugard up in Mitgardia, I have a nice plot in the north east corner, there is a mill and river on one side and a gate to the other with a pallisade wall going all the way around, for me I am not planning a very large embassy as I'd like to capture some qualities of a mitgardian town and surrounding landscape, so I'm thinking of 16x16 but with multiple floors so it will be tall. I would have liked to have a small oasis conjured by a wizard, an extra piece of home for our members, but I might have to scrath that idea. It depends on how big your embassy will be, try shrinking it down if you want to include other buildings etc. or do cut away buildings in the style of City Corner to save on space. All I can say is just jiggle it around and see what happens.

Also may I suggest a small island on the eastern coast for the Temple of Mad Monks, just a suggestion you don't have to roll with it.

I also agree with NM

Thanks

Kcaj Nosnikta

NiceMarmot:

I'd say that Lost Vega is absolutely real. I try to get there at least once a year and enjoy the shows and the magical light show over the Strip, and lose a bit of money playing some four-black-wombat. I still think that game is rigged... However, LV is lost, at least to those outside of the Kaliphlin Guild. Therefore it certainly won't be appearing on any maps.

Ain't no bad idea as well having our own paradise city ^^ so let's say there is a kind of magical spell on it so only Kaliphlins who are 150% loyal to Kaliphlin may enter (as we got mostskilled magicians in our guild, I am pretty sure such a thing would be possible).

But even it was my own idea, I still want a lost mythical city which is unknown for all of us because Mother Desert made it vanish from the surface. And as we Kaliphlins don't want to upset Mother Desert, we don't look for it ourself (and because we know we never will find it). But brave (stupid) tourists from other Guilds, looking for adventure, still can explorer the desert in search for this city with the help of our "Tourist"shops.

I think some of us are interested in that idea, so I hope I have the approval of Lord Dextrus Flagg for "exploiting" this kind of tourism in our cities.

As we need a name for that mythical city and as it would be stupid to make another "Lost ...", I propose the name Kaligem (Kali => Kaliphlin | Gem => in old Dutch: "place", in nowadays English: "shiny stone")

So the edited story:

Kaligem is the mythical city where our grand-grand-grand-(and a few more grand's)-fathers once lived when Kaliphlin was nothing more than this city and the surrounding deserts. Every little child of our beloved Guild knows the myths and sagas of this city and knows that one day the city vanished in the desert and our grand-grand-grand-(and a few more grand's, but some less than previous one)-fathers had to flee away to start new cities. Still loyal to each other they decided to bundle their strength and founded the Guild of Kaliphlin.

What you think my honourable friends of Kaliphlin?

Edited by DaMaximus

But even it was my own idea, I still want a lost mythical city which is unknown for all of us because Mother Desert made it vanish from the surface. And as we Kaliphlins don't want to upset Mother Desert, we don't look for it ourself (and because we know we never will find it). But brave (stupid) tourists from other Guilds, looking for adventure, still can explorer the desert in search for this city with the help of our "Tourist"shops.

I think some of us are interested in that idea, so I hope I have the approval of Lord Dextrus Flagg for "exploiting" this kind of tourism in our cities.

As we need a name for that mythical city and as it would be stupid to make another "Lost ...", I propose the name Kaligem (Kali => Kaliphlin | Gem => in old Dutch: "place", in nowadays English: "shiny stone")

So the edited story:

Kaligem is the mythical city where our grand-grand-grand-(and a few more grand's)-fathers once lived when Kaliphlin was nothing more than this city and the surrounding deserts. Every little child of our beloved Guild knows the myths and sagas of this city and knows that one day the city vanished in the desert and our grand-grand-grand-(and a few more grand's, but some less than previous one)-fathers had to flee away to start new cities. Still loyal to each other they decided to bundle their strength and founded the Guild of Kaliphlin.

I like it. Our own dusty Atlantis. Obviously when the sands swallowed it up, a great treasure was lost, buildings gilded in pure gold, windows made of diamond, etc. We'll need a good back-story about how it was lost, something to do with upsetting the gods probably.

As for the name, Kaligem is good. We might also choose something that pokes fun at those who seek it, like Kalifolli, Guudluk, Kaligone, Nevrfownd, Dissuhpeerd, or Kalikluless. "Old Wazir? Yeah, he's such a fool he's still out looking for Kalikluless."

I like it. Our own dusty Atlantis. Obviously when the sands swallowed it up, a great treasure was lost, buildings gilded in pure gold, windows made of diamond, etc. We'll need a good back-story about how it was lost, something to do with upsetting the gods probably.

Hmmm... let's see if I can whip something up.

-------------------------

Grandpa MacLean used to tell us a story of days when the South ruled the world, it was a tale of caution and betrayal, one that every Kaliphlinite has heard in some form....

Over 1000 years ago the spires of the great capital of the Southern Empire rose into the plains air like a second Rakath Mountain range. Gold glistened from the tall towers, and it was said that wealth rained on those residing in Kaligem (Or insert fabled name here). The city, and its surrounding empire ruled the great southern grasslands of the continent. Controlling the vast supply of fresh water lakes and ancient forests within its borders . The continent was very different in those days. It was not as cold in Mitgardia, Avalonia was full of a fairy folk rarely seen today, and no great desert stretched at any place on the continent.

There came a time, at the height of their power that the great Sultans of Kaligem were closing in on completing the last land conquests upon the continent. They even began a more central city, Cedrica, in order to consolidate their holdings and centrally rule the continent. The idea was to spread the wealth of Kaligem throughout the whole world, even if that meant through force. The Sultans were not generally greedy, but it was their custom to outdo their father or predecessor in terms of conquest, wealth, and charity. So at the tip of their power, they ruled almost all of the present continent.

The last holdout was that of a dark wizard and his undying army in the East. The Sultan Satani b'Rack Ji'Fall of the House Satani, decided to make a final push on the Darkland Bastion known as Everlast. It was not to be. In the coldest months of winter Kaligem forces arrived at the 100 foot walls of Everlast. It is said that during the first winter of that siege the great wolves of the darklands dined on over 1000 soldiers.

Meanwhile, back in the great city came turmoil. Ji'Fall's son Santani Ar'Mani Ji'Teel had decided that change would come to the Kaligem. Kaligem was a place of his father, and his father's father. He was sure that being the next in line to inherit such a vast empire that Cedrica would make a greater home. However, the wealth was not in that fledgling city, it was in Kaligem. So as father froze against the walls of Everlast, caravans of jewels and gold flowed out of Kaligem and to Cedrica. It was at this time that the first great walls of what would later be nicknamed the "central fortress" were constructed in Cedrica. It was said that Ji'Teel began to construct his palace out of raw gold, taken from Kaligem. It was to be the most magnificent building in the world.

The second year of the siege of Everlast went worse than the first winter. The Dark Wizard's forces sallied forth and broke the siege temporarily. Ji'Fall was forced to regroup in the Rakath Mountains for two months. At this time the Dark Wizard escaped. It is said that the wizard took the form of a Kaligem advisor, and took to the court of the younger Ji'Teel.

As the treasure of Kaligem trickled farther away from its armies and its heart, and into the new city, the people of Kaligem started to cry out to their leader in protest. Meanwhile, the Dark Wizard posing as Mizou the advisor convinced Ji'Teel that he needed even more treasure to complete his palace at Cedrica. However, Ji'Teel had already emptied the coffers of Kaligem, and the only large source of treasure left in the city was within the temple of Bonash. Bonash, the deity of Kaligem, the patron of the city, and the only deity with a major temple within the original borders of the Southern Empire, was the god of three things - wealth, trade, and sand. (Sand was originally associated with wealth, because weights were made with sandbags, and one would need these weights to accurately measure quantities of gold and trade.)

For nearly a thousand years the Sultans had held a feast in the early spring where every Kaligem citizen was required to give wealth back to Bonash. So it was no surprise that the vast basement store pit in the temple held riches to rival the city's official coffers. Mizou convinced Ji'Teel to empty this pit, telling him that let superstitions stay with this past city, Cedrica has no place for imaginary deities. So Ji'Teel did so. As the caravans left the city, Mizou dissapeared from the records and it had been reported that the Dark Wizard had returned to Everlast. Ji'Fall's army was upon the walls of the black city again, but this time they were prepared. Siege equipment scaled some of the outworks, and slowly the city began to fall.

It was at that point that Bonash appeared to the Dark Wizard. Not knowing that Mizou and the Dark Wizard were one in the same, Bonash sought out the greatest enemy of Kaligem to help instill his revenge on the ungrateful city. Bonash proposed that he instantly transport the entire undying army to the gates of Kaligem to wreak havoc on the city. The Dark Wizard knew it was a dangerous game to play along with a spurned god, but he also wanted to save Everlast, so he agreed.

It was about this time that missives were arriving to Ja'Fall outside the gates of Everlast. Ja'Fall knowing how important Bonash yelled at the messenger -"Go double-quick back to Kaligem and tell every resident to give twice this year's offering to the temple! start with this!" As he plucked the golden crown of Kaliphlin off his head and put it into the messenger's arms. "We must appease Bonash."

It was five days later that the city of Everlast was eerily quiet. The first morning assault found no resistance, and soon the Kaligem army was riding within the walls of the city. Immediately Sultan Santani knew what had happened. He ordered 100 men to stay behind and fortify the city, and he began the long march home.

Bonash knew of this long march, and anticipated the Sultan's return. He decided to rain something else upon the armies and citizens of Kaligem; sand. A large sand storm hit the army on its first day, so out of place and massive that the army could not tell its direction. On the third day of the march they ran right back into the walls of Everlast.

Meanwhile the undying army was inside Kaligem. Ja'Teel attempted to lead the town guard against the oncoming army but he was slain on the third day of the invasion. On the fifth day of the invasion the messenger from the sultan arrived. He instructed the citizens of their King's orders, many believing that the assault was the resault of pillaging the temple found their way through the war zone to the temple to donate. Many of the peasents were slain on the temple steps, and the giant treasure pit filled with gold and the blood of Kaligem.

The citizens of Kaligem fought on in their homes, in the streets, and in their fortresses drawing the Dark Wizard to a stalemate for over a month. Meanwhile the Sultan and his army fought through sand storm after sandstorm to get back to Kaligem. It is said they circled the city so much in their attempt to find home that great deserts appeared within the realm. Finally, the Sultan made it within miles of home. The Dark Wizard, knowing the great Kaligem army would be upon him soon, took the form of Mizou once more in order to convince the citizens to take back their money from the temple in hopes that it would anger Bonash enough to finally smite the Kaligem army.

However, Bonash was in his temple that day. He liked the gold and blood given to him as a sacrifice, and he was thinking about banishing the undying army and sparing the city. He saw Mizou for who he really was, the Dark Wizard. The two were locked into combat at that moment. Using magiks so vile against one another that they are unheard of since the duel took place. The sand let up, as Bonash used his powers to fight the great and powerful Dark Wizard, and the Sultan entered the city. His men began to turn back the undying army and it looked as Kaligem was to be saved.

But at the moment Santani arrived at the temple two things were revealed. The Dark Wizard was actually the god Ashroth, lord of fire and coal. Second, it seemed that Ashroth was Bonash's better, as the wealth deity began to weaken. The Sultan wasted no time, he ran forward and plunged his sword into the side of Ashroth, and many of his top lieutenants followed him. The Sultan was the last to die, but he was conscious just long enough to see Bonash call down his greatest fury. A wall of sand came from the North, West, South and East, crashing over the city of Kaligem - higher than its highest spire - and into the temple. The four waves crushed Ashroth, killing him as he turned to glass. Unfortunately, Bonash, too weak to remove the sand buried himself deep in the depths of the now lost city.

Very few survived the waves of sand, those who did knew never to incur the wrath of the gods again. A great treasure lay in the sands covering the temple of Kaligem, but no one that was there that day would dare try to retrieve it.

A few wise families living outside of Cedrica heard the story and took over the naturally defendable plot of land. They melted down Ja'Teel's palace and used the money to create a great fortified city as the chaos of Kaligem falling spread like wildfire throughout the world. The continent broke, factions appeared and fought against one another, total chaos amongst the races broke out, and soon war was all the world knew for a thousand more years.

Today, Old women tell children the tale of Kaligem as a moral lesson, but many believe it is all truth. Some Kaliphlins still give offering to Bonash, in respect of his power and sacrifice to destroy Ashroth. Some cults look for the old lost city to dig up their deity and return him to the world. Others look for the city to find its riches. Still others will not enter the areas of the desert thought to contain the city. The family Santani is cursed still. Most of their decedents have long changed their name. No one wants associated with the foolish and greedy prince who brought upon the wrath of the immortal sand god. And of course, the desert still stretches across the entire south of the continent.

Edited by SkaForHire

Dugal, yes, that's definitely the magnificent old myth that my grandpappy used to tell me when I was growing up...

Except his version of the story had it that Ji'Teel was Ji'Fall's adopted son, a child of his second wife, the evil sorceress Zahtana ni-Urufa, who was beautiful, seductive, flattering, and silver-tongued, but untrustworthy, cunning, and evil to the core. Zahtana, jealous and worried that Ji'Fall might designate a nephew as heir instead of her son, plotted against him and turned Ji'Teel against his stepfather. Ji'Teel was buried in the sands, still clutching a golden idol of Bonash that he had tried to take from the temple. But legend has it that Zahtana had herself imprisoned in a magical vault of crystal that was buried beneath the sands, asleep and awaiting a time when Bonash and Ashroth's power was truly diminished and she might rise again and once again take power in Historica.

At least that's the version I always heard. Who really knows?

Gex

I am back!

And so much to catch up on... I hope everyone had fantastic holidays showered with lots of LEGO and rest... cause now that we're in the new year, we have BUILDING to do!

First, we have new comers!

Rashad Nawfal! Welcome! I look forward to having you teach us about the mystic ways.

New Carsvan welcome, but what name doth your leader go by? (Peppermint_M?)

And I welcome you and whatever magikal wonders the Sans Serif can provide the guild.

Your Temple/Way station warms my heart - it is good to see that help is being offered to one and to all. Places like this is what makes Kaliphlin strong (as well as our army :devil:)

Saladus How good to.... meet you.... for the first time. You are correct. We have never had any dealings or any prior connection. Nor have I ever heard of your 'Nähtamatu' nor their useful and beneficial interventions over the course of the Siccus Wastelands. I welcome you 'new' 'friend' to our ranks. I'm sure we shall do great things together, again.

That is a fine ship Saladus, it is good to see the fine bark from Withering Woods used. I can tell from the pigment in the wood that you have used some of our Black Oil to further waterproof and seal your ship - a very Kaliphlin trait.

Dugal That's an impressive city layout you have, I can't wait to see how the East Gate turns out.

DUGAL! You did it!

I had been struggling with how to build Lost Vega. Great build, now that we know that it is 100 miles *to the right* ... we may see some of Lost Vega soon enough...

Though I believe there needs to be a few more gambling dens and other such 'fine' establishments

Lord Damaximus , I believe Rasputin Jones has done a fantastic job answering your questions, if you are still unsure feel free to ask me personally.

Also, you may have a point about where the TRUE location of Lost Vega is... while WE all in the guild know it's location and bask in it's wonders... perhaps we should not put it on the map, lest our enemies try to exploit it.

Master Cartographer Another fantastic map paintings you have produced. I particularly like the actual scale. Makes me think and dream BIG :laugh: Actually those blown up maps are gorgeous you should look into making posters ;)

... ...

Would anyone else be actually interested in getting some full sized Kaliphlin poster made when we're all said and done? :cry_happy::cry_sad:

I have also amended the first page with 'Rules of building' - based on your suggestions.

I'm thinking of using the reserved 3rd post in this thread (stupid B&W taking the 2nd post...) as a consolidation of ALL the town/local back stories... though this will take a while to recompile everything that has been said in the last ~ 500 odd posts ;)

so this is longer term project.

Kcaj Great description of Samrd'dha - I'm actually really enjoying everyone's ideas and stories behind Kaliphlin. Makes for some great reading and inspiration!

Also you have found yourself a great little oasis, I myself grew up near such an oasis but alas, it was towards the Withering Woods, so the plants weren't as plentiful.

Shale Great start to pushing our influences into the Darklands. The murky water below is fantastic and memorizing... keep up the good work

Rasputin Jones your seemingly cluttered builds never cease to amuse me. Your mocs are so crammed and layered ... I can't just help but smile when I see them :sweet:

Dugal and Damaximus - Great work on Kaligem - If I had known you were such a storyteller, I would have enlisted you earlier to help with our earlier works.

Also appreciated is the work of our recruiters, helping out some of our new travellers into the fold - you know who you are, and you have my thanks.

To everyone else keep up the fantastic job, and let's spread the Kaliphlin guild to all corners of Historica!

I am back!

Dugal That's an impressive city layout you have, I can't wait to see how the East Gate turns out.

DUGAL! You did it!

I had been struggling with how to build Lost Vega. Great build, now that we know that it is 100 miles *to the right* ... we may see some of Lost Vega soon enough...

Though I believe there needs to be a few more gambling dens and other such 'fine' establishments

... ...

Would anyone else be actually interested in getting some full sized Kaliphlin poster made when we're all said and done? :cry_happy::cry_sad:

Dugal and Damaximus - Great work on Kaligem - If I had known you were such a storyteller, I would have enlisted you earlier to help with our earlier works.

Welcome back! I think we were successful in holding down the fort while you were gone.

The tourist board of Lost Vega may not like that we leave them off the maps, but our small towns that must be visited to locate the mysterious city will profit greatly.

I think a Kaliphlin full size poster could be a very cool idea indeed. There are enough printing companies online that we could probably do this pretty cheap.

Yeah, I seem to have stories a plenty - before going to get a PhD in uselessness, I was about a stones-throw away from trying my hand as a fantasy author. I still have a few manuscripts propping up a table (literally) that I never sent away!

Dugal, yes, that's definitely the magnificent old myth that my grandpappy used to tell me when I was growing up...

Except his version of the story had it that Ji'Teel was Ji'Fall's adopted son, a child of his second wife, the evil sorceress Zahtana ni-Urufa, who was beautiful, seductive, flattering, and silver-tongued, but untrustworthy, cunning, and evil to the core. Zahtana, jealous and worried that Ji'Fall might designate a nephew as heir instead of her son, plotted against him and turned Ji'Teel against his stepfather. Ji'Teel was buried in the sands, still clutching a golden idol of Bonash that he had tried to take from the temple. But legend has it that Zahtana had herself imprisoned in a magical vault of crystal that was buried beneath the sands, asleep and awaiting a time when Bonash and Ashroth's power was truly diminished and she might rise again and once again take power in Historica.

At least that's the version I always heard. Who really knows?

Gex

Gex, I think I have heard that version of the story too. Like you said, who really knows. I know that I am not going to go looking for this treasure myself, out in the oilfields I need all the cooperation from the sands I can get. No use upsetting a possible sand god.

Hail, Guildsmen of Kaliphlin!

I am Sclet Lothar - entrepreneur, invester and commander of my legion mercenarys. Born in Nocturnus some hundred years ago, but I grow my businessempire in Avalonia and Mitgardia, where I met my beautiful wife Saphira. She runs my poker- and gamblepalace and is captain of my troops, together with ninja Anna and sniper Catharina.

P1050210.jpg

My trusty navigator for our trips and sorcerer is Gorgoroth The Great. Cause everyone needs a good meal after a heavy businessday Pumpkinhead is in charge of our catering. Don't be surprised when his soup looks at you. My legion of mercenarys are loyal, cause i have everything money can buy and i destroy everything money can't buy.

Because we had some trouble in Mitgardia we deceided to take our business elsewhere, here in Kaliphlin. We will be building our businesscenter along the banks of the Red River. Everyone is invited to gamble and play poker at our place. Loans are granted at low interests.

You have my (s)word, we will honour the Guildsmen and king of Kaliphlin.

Sclet Lothar

More pictures: My link

Edited by pagan

Damn SkaForHire, i love that myth! Just a wonderful backstory. :cry_happy: Now we just need to illustrate it in bricks! :grin:

Kayne, i love your catamaran - very inventive use of parts for a sail. Looks almost as if it were from a Terry Prachett novel! :thumbup:

I've just finished a Kaliphlian catamaran of my own - synchronicity, hey?

fishingboat1eb_050112.jpg

More pics of it can be found in this topic.

Cheers everyone, great to see so many new guildmembers arriving - welcome to you all! :classic:

Edited by gabe

Sclet Lothar Welcome my friend! It is good to see new faces still joining us. I look forward to trying my luck in your establishments!

Erudhalion , your ship is absolutely incredible. I've seen it before going up and down our coasts, but ever time I see it I am amazed at it's beauty.

I think a Kaliphlin full size poster could be a very cool idea indeed. There are enough printing companies online that we could probably do this pretty cheap.

That's what I was thinking... Though it'd be a double cool if I could get the entire guild to sign it

... who's going to Brickworld? :grin:

IMGP4234-1.jpg

And now time for some lore...

In ancient times, when the Falcon army and the Lion army fought, each other, and undead and orcs wreaked destruction upon the land, a mysterious warrior arrived from foreign shores. His name was Akhileus, and he led an army of sentient golden warriors, known as the Myrmidons. Together, they were an unstoppable force, fighting on the side of the Lion, and sweeping across the land in a crusade for glory. They fought for 30 long years, until during the Siege of Petraea, Akhileus, in his old age, cut his foot on a fallen spear, and was set upon by the enemy. Upon his death, the Myrmidons disbanded, and went their separate ways, having gained personalities and even souls. Now a small number of them still wander throughout Historica, while the rest dwell in the dark and secret places of the world, waiting for the day when another mighty warrior commands them once more.

The Myrmidons are human-like automatons, built from golden pieces of armour, and magical circuitry. Their outer appearance resembles a regular human but they are much stronger, faster and durable. Their insides are completely protected by the armour, and unless a piece is damaged, their circuitry remains safe. A complex network of magical wires, resembling the human nervous system, runs inside their ‘shell’, powered by a magic crystal located where the human heart is. The crystal is known as a HeartStone, and gives the Myrmidon individuality and sentience, making them human, in all but physical form. If they aren’t destroyed in battle, which is generally extremely difficult, they can live forever, even in the harshest of environments. In addition to their immense physical strength and longevity, they can discharge magic, to a limited degree, from their body, allowing them to enchant weapons, armour, etc. Unfortunately, when they use magic several small metal plates open up in their hands, forearms, and back to allow the heat cause by a sudden surge in power to escape from the HeartStone, causing a momentary period of vulnerability.

I'm also working on my embassy MOC...need to make a Cracklink order :tongue:

Edited by Axel

IMGP4234-1.jpg

And now time for some lore...

In ancient times, when the Falcon army and the Lion army fought, each other, and undead and orcs wreaked destruction upon the land, a mysterious warrior arrived from foreign shores. His name was Akhileus, and he led an army of sentient golden warriors, known as the Myrmidons. Together, they were an unstoppable force, fighting on the side of the Lion, and sweeping across the land in a crusade for glory. They fought for 30 long years, until during the Siege of Petraea, Akhileus, in his old age, cut his foot on a fallen spear, and was set upon by the enemy. Upon his death, the Myrmidons disbanded, and went their separate ways, having gained personalities and even souls. Now a small number of them still wander throughout Historica, while the rest dwell in the dark and secret places of the world, waiting for the day when another mighty warrior commands them once more.

The Myrmidons are human-like automatons, built from golden pieces of armour, and magical circuitry. Their outer appearance resembles a regular human but they are much stronger, faster and durable. Their insides are completely protected by the armour, and unless a piece is damaged, their circuitry remains safe. A complex network of magical wires, resembling the human nervous system, runs inside their ‘shell’, powered by a magic crystal located where the human heart is. The crystal is known as a HeartStone, and gives the Myrmidon individuality and sentience, making them human, in all but physical form. If they aren’t destroyed in battle, which is generally extremely difficult, they can live forever, even in the harshest of environments. In addition to their immense physical strength and longevity, they can discharge magic, to a limited degree, from their body, allowing them to enchant weapons, armour, etc. Unfortunately, when they use magic several small metal plates open up in their hands, forearms, and back to allow the heat cause by a sudden surge in power to escape from the HeartStone, causing a momentary period of vulnerability.

I'm also working on my embassy MOC...need to make a Cracklink order :tongue:

It must have been one of them I once saw during one of my many travels. While exploring one of the darkest places on the globe, we suddenly saw something in the distance, brighter than the sun (well, there was no sun to be honest...), pure of gold. We tried to approach it, but the more closer we came, the further it went without moving. Till this moment, when we were sitting around the campfire, remembering our adventures, this scene allways caused an awkward silence.

I hope to finally see some of them again here in Kaliphlin.

(note from the storyteller hundreds years after Lord Damaximus lived: it was the Myrmidon now known as Buddhamyr, a god nowadays for a bunch of people living far far away from here)

(note from director who is telling the story of Lord Damaximus through pictures and lego: haha seriously??? how the Megablocks makes google show results for bricklink while searching for cracklink?? :tongue: (despite of the fact it is only 2 letters different))

Edited by DaMaximus

WIP Picture

IMGP4244.jpg

Embassy in Nocturnus near the Rakath mountains.

Edited by Axel

WIP Picture

IMGP4244.jpg

I really like the fence... that is really cool.

WIP Picture

IMGP4244.jpg

Looks promising!!

In other news:

Just bought Medieval Village. So together with Blacksmith Attack and London Escape, I got 4 official Legoset buildings for my marketsquare.

May I use them in my city or are only edited sets / MOCS allowed?

May I use them in my city or are only edited sets / MOCS allowed?

I have no idea, but I used four PoP Fight for the Daggers in my marketplace for Marja-Rhytaville, and no one complained. I did modify them slightly, and added some marketplace people and scenery. I don't think you'd get a lot of praise if you used standard sets for a challenge entry, but as far as building out a town goes, I think that would be fine, especially if you modified them slightly.

Velethuil Those golden golems are incredible. I never thought that the stories were true - despite myself owning a few artefacts crafted from the great BrickTW.

And looks to be a nice and welcoming site in the unforgiving Nocturnus region. Our Travellers thank thee.

DaMaximus there's no rule against it ... but as Master Cartographer Gex has suggested - it's not going to be overly impressive... What I would suggest is take your time. Build the village and other sets and enjoy them. Then dismantle some or all of it and build something new. One of the whole reasons for Historica was to engage people and provide an encouraging environment for everyone to build in. And I definitely think it's working :sweet:

Here is a quick photo of the embassy in progress that I am building for Kaliphlin in Avalonia

6671295935_efd92a6fb8.jpg

The back corner is going to have a tower with a desert feel, while the front tower is Avalonian. Also, lots of landscaping will be going on!

Here is a quick photo of the embassy in progress that I am building for Kaliphlin in Avalonia

The back corner is going to have a tower with a desert feel, while the front tower is Avalonian. Also, lots of landscaping will be going on!

I'm liking that waterfall a lot. Where does the water go? And that tower on the front left has a really nice Avalonian feel. Keep up the good work.