Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

If it's not too late - I'd be interested in joining this guild. I'm new to Eurobricks - and, frankly, new to the enjoyment of LEGO as an adult. My kids just got me back into them this year. I'll come up with a character and try to get a watchtower done soon as well. Thanks.

If it's not too late - I'd be interested in joining this guild. I'm new to Eurobricks - and, frankly, new to the enjoyment of LEGO as an adult. My kids just got me back into them this year. I'll come up with a character and try to get a watchtower done soon as well. Thanks.

Welcome to Eurobricks and to Kaliphlin, Brickmaestro! Glad to have you join us

:classic:

Welcome! Glad to have you in the guild!

I'm only about 11 months out of my dark ages as well. Bought the kid some LEGO for Christmas last year, and, well, one thing led to another and here I am...

The geothermal wastes of Zigar-an-Gifuzi, a land of fire jets, geysers, sulphuric pools, and boiling mud pits, seems like an unusual place for a watchtower. Located on the lower slopes of Mt Erezhi, next to the Dune Sea, in south central Siccus, it is far away from any borders. Any normal borders, that is...

For you see, who knows what lies below the infernal pools and mud pits of Zigar-an-Gifuzi? Some say there are portals to the underworld, or to demonic dimensions. All we know for sure is that unspeakable monsters have been known to emerge from the hellish depths and terrorize the nearby countryside. The watchtower of Zigar-an-Gifuzi was originally constructed by a misguided entrepreneur as an inn, catering to tourists come to see the geysers and colorful pools. After a particularly bad spate of monstrous invasions, culminating in the par-boiling of a visiting trade delegation from the East as they were having their portrait painted in front of the pools, the inn was converted into a watchtower, with a garrison of crack troops specially trained in handling demonic incursions. They maintain a constant vigilance over the underworld portals, and swiftly dispatch any invaders. Occasionally they will capture a minor, less dangerous demon alive, and transport it to Doktor Frankstein and Herr Liebniz for future study.

6464513313_04005bd34c_z.jpg

Zigar-an-Gifuzi: watchtower

Please check out the full post.

Some great MOCs there from CptMugwash and NiceMarmot. Also great to see a new Guild member, Brickmaestro :thumbup:

Lord Flagg, it is your loyal servant Wahil Musca writing to you with news.

My architect has reported that the Ra'ad Twur is now completed! As my architect checks over the structure I hope it will meet my Lord's approval. However, the light is fading here and my artist complains that he cannot sketch the finished work under such conditions. I threatened to have him whipped for his disobedience but he did not relent, so I must take him at his word - for who am I to argue against such honesty?

But my news is not finished there, Lord! Emir Hirgu of Gorr has offered me a place in his household. I am waiting for an opportune moment to ask for my artist to record his likeness, but as you can imagine Lord it is a delicate matter and I must handle it so. The Emir has little time for such trivialities now because he is gathering the Sudite tribes in Stone Town to show our Lord his military might.

Finally I am back in the arms of my people after so long wandering the deserts. The Emir has asked me to show the world his capital city, Stone Town. I will be inviting dignitaries from the other 3 Guilds to visit the Emir and my artist has promised to sketch these historic meetings. As always, I will let you know of progress.

Your will is iron, Lord.

Wahil

EDIT: No new posts, so didn't want to double-post! Tower is now 100% completed, but a few things came up tonight so I didn't get a chance to take proper photos. Rest assured these will come by the weekend!

Lord Flagg, I write to you again. My last pigeon has barely arrived, I realise, but I do not wish to delay when I have news for the one I serve.

The Emir Hirgu very graciously allowed my artist to sketch his likeness. He interrupted his busy schedule for me Lord, so you will appreciate if it is not the best my artist could do.

6468187309_43f47b6ed3.jpg

I also met with my peer, and one of the most powerful men in the Emir's kingdom, the eunuch Navros. He is the Emir's vizier, and a slave at that, but one an ordinary man would not wish to cross. He has the Emir's ear and I treat him with the respect necessary of a man in his privileged position. My artist captured him here with many other residents of Stone Town - these are not followers, just ordinary citizens looking for his patronage: help with a warrant, suggesting a relative for a position within the Emir's household, and such like. His help does not come cheap, and the bribes he takes make him rich - and with money comes power, as I am sure my Lord knows.

6468186715_4d8618889f.jpg

As always, your will is iron Lord.

Wahil

Edited by Basiliscus

Good news! I have recently returned from an excursion in the North, where I visited our newly-completed Seige Workshop. I can confirm that it is now a real hive of activity, and I was fortunate enough to observe the assembly of a ballista.

6468417219_0c12d12e7c_z.jpg

Also, those clever folks have created a small catapult to round off their arsenal.

6468441589_6407ea506a_z.jpg

Although we are of course still in times of peace, with these weapons we should be able to, if the need were to arise, easily take over a small enemy watchtower. Anything larger, and we may need to design larger weapons. However, the weaponsmiths do not wish to cause alarm, and have for now sworn only to build these small-scale engines.

6468443053_086d6eb953_z.jpg

Seige Workshop: photoset/EB topic

Catapult: Photoset/EB topic

-YtR

Edited by J4ke

Kcaj Fantastic bazaar! It is good to see the busy bustling trade has returned to our fair kingdom! What better way to watch over our citizen than sell them fantastic merchandise!

Intended or not, those shadows that are cast are fantastic!

Also ... those are some frightful ninjas... I hope they're on our side.

Brickmaestro Welcome to EB and the guild! we look forward to you joining us.

I didn't realize we had so many people fresh from the dark ages - that makes what we're doing in here that much more impressive! great work everyone

Master Cartographer Gex! Great build - and I *LOVE* the concept of the back story to this. Another super unique build to the Kaliphlin family - you guys truly make me proud.

Wahil We are eagerly await your artists work!

But what impressive companions you have! It is good to finally meet the Emir and the Eunuch.

YtR Your skills continue to impress me. It is good to see all this activity. Even though we do not need such weapons at this time, busy workers are happy workers... and a strong stockpile is a strong defence.

@ Basil - Wahil it is great to know we have such powerful allies, atleast I hope they are.

@ Jake - YtR It is great to see the workshop full of life and busy.

@ Fonzy - Excellent tower Halvard, our defenses are growing strong!

@ SI - Lord Flagg it is great to hear from you and do not worry about those ninjas they are simply customers looking to expand their exotic arsenal

Edited by CptMugwash

A Griffin rider overflew the construction of a small outpost in the Rakath Mountains earlier this evening. Construction appears to be going well (but there's no terrain yet, working on that later.) Yes, I'm building another watchtower for the challenge. We don't have as many as the other guilds, so I'll compensate for that as best I can. :tongue:

6473958811_23b43eba99_z.jpg

Details to be added include, as mentioned above, a base, possibly a smaller tower with a bunch of wood to use as a beacon, and snow. Lots and lots of snow. Luckily, white is my most common colour.

-YtR

Fonzy!, my dwarven brother, that is fantastic! I did not realize we had that much marble! I really like the circularness of the entire build - the tower top and shaft are seamless ... wonderful work.

Rock work is also nice...

Only suggestion I have at this point is maybe add a little path from the front of the tower to maybe some steps through the rock? just a few dark bley pieces would be enough to create the illusion I think !

Yakob Another great looking start... Colour me (red?) impressed at your building prowess... keep up the good work!

Only one week to go everyone! time to finish up the towers, get those final touches in... looks like pretty stiff competition from the other guilds.

Fonzy!, my dwarven brother, that is fantastic! I did not realize we had that much marble! I really like the circularness of the entire build - the tower top and shaft are seamless ... wonderful work.

Rock work is also nice...

Only suggestion I have at this point is maybe add a little path from the front of the tower to maybe some steps through the rock? just a few dark bley pieces would be enough to create the illusion I think !

Yakob Another great looking start... Colour me (red?) impressed at your building prowess... keep up the good work!

Only one week to go everyone! time to finish up the towers, get those final touches in... looks like pretty stiff competition from the other guilds.

One more scramble to 3 brick a brick walls in my area, but it is looking like I won't be able to do my escarpment tower after all... About Sunday I might have to switch to the backup tower.

One more scramble to 3 brick a brick walls in my area, but it is looking like I won't be able to do my escarpment tower after all... About Sunday I might have to switch to the backup tower.

Don't you hate it when you drive around to the Lego store(s) and all they have are 2x2 bright orange bricks and those damn steering wheels? :angry: Seriously, who orders that stuff?

I've learned my lesson; when I see 2x4, 2x2, 1x2, 1x1 bricks in tan or grey, I buy like three cups worth. Have never seen the 2x2 tan bricks in the PAB wall; and they add up on BrickLink.

I'm itching to get onto bricklink but I'm away for 10 days and don't want to order anything until after xmas because of all the postal madness so I'm building up a mental list.

Anyways...

I present to you Kaliphlin's Cavalry

The Giant Scorpion.

6476790827_dbfc9cd8a0.jpg

A few comments,

The legs are based off PQs Pyramid Scorpion thing, I could have done a vig but I don't think it was neccesary, after the scorpion was built I thought it was good idea to have some kind of harness thing with a beastmaster to control the scorpion and point it in the direction of the enemy whoever they are. I'm pretty pleased with it :grin:

@ CptMugwash - thats a nice and convincing brick built beast you have :thumbup:

I have finished my sentry tower:

6477174379_1974342063.jpg

It's a smaller version of my Watchtower, built because the last one was fun to do. The topic is here.

Yay, i'm back! :grin: Wonderful to see so many awesome builds and armies coming out of this guild, and NiceMarmot's map is just wonderful - thanks for adding Berigora btw! :thumbup: I'm not up to building just yet unfortunately (i'm recovering from some pesky surgery), so i doubt if i'll get a watchtower together by the 15th. However, i do have plans for fleshing out Berigora, the valley of the centaurs, the causeway bridge and also the small island to the east of Peregrinus (as yet unnamed), where the breeding grounds of the fabled great southern wyrm are situated - i'm hoping to start getting some builds together in about a week. :thumbup:

Anyway, a few responses are in order from Erudhalion and his harbourmaster:

Lord Sansael, your comrades are well matched indeed, and your map is a thing of beauty and wonder. We have often ventured small trading barques to Cape Dahaka, and our Maritime Master Captain Marcus will be very happy to have these charts as a ghuide. As always, we are interested in any Dragon's Eggs, Teeth, or Claws that you may happen across in Perigrinus.

Many thanks Lord Jones, your trading vessels are always welcome in Berigora. We do indeed trade in dragon products that are shed on a regular basis, such as scales, teeth and claws, and our armourers have devised cunning ways to incorporate them into armour, weaponry and other utensils. However i do need to inform you that the theft and trade of dragon eggs is prohibited in Peregrinus on pain of death - we are very close to dragon breeding grounds here and we maintain good relations with both migrating and resident wyrms.

Hello Neighbors,

I`m Darecold, the leader of the Werewolves

Our Werewolves like Wikinger, they are mostly at the sea. So they do trading very well.

We are situated in the South of Nocturnus, so we have the best requirements for trading with you.

Maybe we take this opportunity for a neutral trading between our two Guilds?

Our storerooms are full with riches, but we don`t need these gliz and shiny things.

Is there an harbor where we can trade? We need Weapons, Meat, Wine and Beer :grin:

Hail Darecold and well met! Your vessels look stout and most seaworthy, and your trade is always welcome in Berigora. Not only can you purchase fine ales from our fair city, but we can also repair, outfit and upgrade your ships for a reasonable fee. We also sell trade maps of the coastal south, should you be passing that way. Also, i don't know if your clan has the human habit of cooking meat before comsumption, but the centaurs can sell you olives and olive oil from thier groves, as well as fragrant herbs and spices such as nutmeg and cloves (very nice in warmed wine!).

Darecold, welcome! You'll want to stop by Messahmuk, the trading center of the South Central coast, just across the straits from the Spice Islands!

We've got good weapons here, with steel forged from ore mined off the slopes of Mt Erezhi. And our warm, dry Mediterranean climate produces red wines that are considered the best in all Historica, including the famous Siccus Opus Select vintages from Castle La-Feet. For white wine, I suggest sailing to Barqa or Eastgate. As far as meat goes, we've got excellent desert hare and camel, but for beef you should head up to Barqa; cattle from the plains north of the city are renowned for their taste. And as for ales, we have some good local ones, but I prefer the burnt dark ales of western Gorr wastelands (Wahil Musca can probably help you there), or the fine stouts of the eastern coastal mountains (stop in Peligrinus on Cape Dahaka and load up). If you go to Peligrinus first, would you mind picking up a few tons of Siccus Serpent Stout for me? I'll pay 1500 guilders per ton.

I suggest that you retain one of my merchants, Growlfargh, as your agent in these parts. He's one of your kind who's settled down here for the better weather and the beautiful moonlight nights. A very reliable fellow. I'll post a portrait of him as soon as I find my artist...

Thanks for the plug O master cartographer! Although we sell our beer by volume, not weight - i'll put 20 large barrels on standby for you once i hear you or your representitive is on thier way. :wink: Btw, if you enjoy robust ales (and it sounds like you do), may i suggest you try our local speciality, double strength red truffle ale? We make it with fermented fungus harvested from our secret cavern routes through the Raketh. It's certainly an aquired taste, just don't drink and sail! :laugh:

Hi, I'm thinking of joining this guild, but I need to wait until I have more time. Currently I'm too busy even to build my character. I have a suggestion for the (already great) map of this area. For this is based mostly on desert region I think a jungle would be appropriate as well! I think a good location would be south of Red River to continue the existing forest into a jungle and south east area near the Noctornus borders where sand cliffs meet the mountains. There's a lot of space for a big jungle, and I have some ideas for buildings for my tribe in that area.

Also this would bring some diversity into this guild and not every MOC will look alike being built on tan plates, using tan or nougat pieces from Prince or Pharaoh theme. This could add some jungle temples in gray colors and mix in some Mayan-like culture and architecture.

Gabe welcome back.

Axel nice tower.

MOP everyone is welcome in our guild, I think the jungle is a good idea but you'll need to wait and hear from SI and NM. No worries about the character/s I joined with a short introduction first then posted my pics later.

MOP, if you check our map you'll see that we have more than sand. We border Nocturnus in the East, over the Rakath Mountains. I myself am currently building a tower nestled in the snowy mountains (TEASER :P). Also, we have forests in the North-West, close to our borders with Avalonia, and even swamps to the South.

Don't forget about the spice islands either, I'm sure their is quite a variety of vegitation on those. I've finished my tower, hopefully have pictures up on the weekend. Great builds all, I'm looking forward to just doing some free building after I finish up with the tower.

Hi, I'm thinking of joining this guild, but I need to wait until I have more time. Currently I'm too busy even to build my character. I have a suggestion for the (already great) map of this area. For this is based mostly on desert region I think a jungle would be appropriate as well! I think a good location would be south of Red River to continue the existing forest into a jungle and south east area near the Noctornus borders where sand cliffs meet the mountains. There's a lot of space for a big jungle, and I have some ideas for buildings for my tribe in that area.

Also this would bring some diversity into this guild and not every MOC will look alike being built on tan plates, using tan or nougat pieces from Prince or Pharaoh theme. This could add some jungle temples in gray colors and mix in some Mayan-like culture and architecture.

MstrOfPppts, great idea for jungle temples; looking forward to seeing some of those.

Maybe I should lay out my understanding of our geography and biomes, so we're all on the same page. I'm certainly open to feedback on this, and my goal is to make us as geographically diverse as possible (even though Siccus Badlands are smaller than California overall probably).

Desert - Obviously a lot of the central area is desert. Remember that not all desert is the same -- there are lots of different types of desert: nothing but sand, dunes, rocky deserts, hilly and rocky deserts, semi-desert, etc. I'm guessing the Parched Lands, the Dune Sea, and the Gorr desert are the driest. I've heard the Gorr desert is very desolate, probably rocky. Surrounding the deserts to some degree will be an area of chaparral and scrub, especially along the southern coasts.

Mediterranean - I see a Mediterranean-type ecosystem and climate along the southern coasts, from the southern end of the Rakath Mtns to the Akhenaten Delta, and then again from western edge of the Akhenaten Delta to approximately across the straits from Stone Town (a cape/point I've called Hawkshead on my nascent detailed map). Likewise, the area around Stone Town in the NW corner of Gorr and along the northern coast of Gorr might be Mediterranean also.

Mangrove Swamps - the southern edges of the Akhenaten Delta, and scattered points along the southern coast wherever rivers meet the ocean from Barqa to Hawkshead, and where the River Zenagi meets the ocean on Gorr.

Jungle - Most of the Akhenaten Delta (except the mangroves along the coast). Southern Gorr, especially around the River Zenagi. The Spice Islands. Some of the coast south of Barqa towards Hawkshead.

Plains, Savannas, and Grasslands - The lands surrounding the Arkbri and Qar-Akhen Rivers are savannas and seasonally flooded savannas in the middle and south, giving way to more temperate grasslands for the northern third. The land between Barqa and the Red River is mostly plains. The lands at the foot of the Great Escarpment are also plains and grasslands, as are the lower western slopes of the Rakath, and the area between the Wither Woods and the unnamed desert west of the Arkbri.

Broadleaf Forests - The forests on either side of the Red River. Maybe some scattered forests below (north of) the Great Escarpment. Probably some on the eastern slopes down near Cape Dahaka.

Coniferous Forests - The east-central and northeast slopes and coast of the Rakath. The north/west portions of the Wither Woods.

Alpine - High in the Rakath mountains. More in the northern Rakath, less in the southern Rakath. Deep in the northern Rakath, near where the Great Escarpment starts, we can probably have a few glaciers.

Some other geographic / climatic notes:

• Snow - the highest peaks of the northern Rakath are snowbound all year long, and there are a few glaciers in the highest mountain valleys here. The rest of the Rakath gets snow during the winter; less in the winter. The northwest coast gets very little snow, as it has temperate rainforest climate similar to Washington state and British Columbia. The Wither Woods and surrounding plains also get some winter snow; they probably have a climate similar to northern or central France, or maybe the mid-Atlantic US.
  • Rain - lots in the northeast coast, and the eastern slopes of the Rakath. I guess our prevailing winds are out of the east, and they pick up moisture from the ocean and dump it as snow and rain on the Rakath. A little bit of rain on the western slopes of the Rakath, and some on the south coast (10-20 inches/yr). The Spice Islands get a lot, as does eastern Gorr. Barqa gets a reasonable amount, maybe around 25 inches/yr, increasing as you move up the western coast. The Wither Woods are pretty temperate, maybe getting 40-60 inches/yr. The jungle areas obviously get a lot more.
  • Canyons and Gorges - we've got them. I don't know where yet. Lots of smaller ones probably. Maybe one big one somewhere, like along the upper reaches of the Lick of Salt?
  • Volcanoes - Cape Dahaka, Mt Erezhi, plus a few in the Spice Islands, which are tropical islands of volcanic origin. Most of the Spice Islands volcanoes are dormant or extinct, but a few are intermittently active.
  • Cliffs - Obviously the Great Escarpment is one. The coast from Cape Dahaka north to Nocturnus has a lot of cliffs. The southwest coast of Gorr (perhaps the "Forbidden Coast"?) is mostly cliff. There are intermittent areas of cliffs on the south central and south eastern coasts.
  • Fjords - Lots of them in the northeastern coast.
  • Swamps - The Akhenaten Delta. Maybe other places too. Somewhere below (north of) the Great Escarpment might be a good spot too.
  • Beaches - The best beaches are in the Spice Islands. Other areas with good beaches are the south central Siccus coast, the northern coast of Gorr, a few around Barqa, and on the islands on the western edge of the Inland Sea.
  • Rivers and Lakes - Mostly in west, from just east of Barqa to the Avalonian border.
  • Waterfalls - We need some. Tell me where the biggest ones are. Probably at least a few pouring into the fjords in the east.
  • Caverns - Yeah, we got 'em. Not sure where. Probably anywhere we want them, except the swamps.
  • Hills - As indicated on the map, plus foothills of any of the mountains on the map. Probably additional hills as needed anywhere we want, except the swamps.

Hopefully that gives you all plenty of leeway for lots of different MOCs! Feedback and suggestions welcomed. Maybe once it settles down a bit, SI-Mocs can put this description in the first post, along with the other descriptive information about Kaliphlin and Siccus.

Dear fellow guild members,

I am glad to see so many pictures of our wonderful lands. You are doing a wonderful job.

I have been away for some time. I was hiding in my study chamber in order to write some chapters in my

Book of Kaliphlin

bookkaliphlin.jpg

Master Cartographer Tafik Regex Marmota, your knowledge of the geography of the southern lands is astonishing! Would you mind if I copy some parts into my book?

Abū Alī

If we do have some kind of jungle where MoP says just north where TGE meets TR Mtns then we could have plenty of waterfalls around there pouring down from the mountains. Also, Avalonia's map has a defined borderline aswell as the location of member's towers, looking through our watchtower creations only a few have a location.

NiceMarmot - great to hear your ideas about Kaliphlin geography, your knowledge of these things continues to amaze me!

So if I understand correctly - Gorr would most likely be:

Central - desert

North - sandy beaches, Mediterranean climate

East - Rainy, rocky

South - mangrove swamps and jungle

Southwest - cliffs

If so, that sounds good to me! I am happy to roll with this, that gives me plenty of diversity. One thing to add is that surrounding the deserts is an area of savannah - reasonably dry but with scattered grassland.

Lord Flagg, the moment has come! On this splendid day my artist managed to capture the likeness of the Ra'ad Twur for all to see. The Emir hopes that this beacon of light will help deter pirates and guide the trade vessels through the Straights of Gorr. This will only benefit everyone involved, and the Emir will ensure your increased tithe is sent when he has seen the larger profits in his own coffers.

Your will is iron, Lord.

Wahil Musca, Ambassador to the Emir of Gorr

6482377565_965604b2f7_z.jpg