Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

Yay, Eastgate made it onto the map! Now I guess I should really start buying bricks to build it. I LOVE that the escarpment now extends naturally to where the river bends, and that Queens Cross is not only a guardian of the road across the river, but the guardian to the interior, and the most passable point in the escarpment.

Extending it was someone else's idea, and it really made sense. Queenscross is turning out to be quite a strategic city! Lots of good MOC opportunities there, with a river port and fortifications, as well as fortifications protecting the pass. It should probably have a mixture of architectural styles, as a real meeting point between north and south, and east and west to some degree too.

OK OK, I am a bit obsessed with the escarpment actually, my tower that I am desperately trying to get enough pieces for actually hangs over the escarpment to watch below, and extends upward to watch the desert behind it. It really has nothing to do with my sig fig, but I guess I will throw some GEAR traders in there to replenish the tower. My big problem is getting enough rocks and tans to accurately portray the escarpment... and then enough to build a desert floor about 30 studs above it! (Oh yeah add a tower in there). I have a backup tower in mind if this doesn't come to fruition, so for sure I should have something done by the deadline. The deadline is the 15th right?

Are you building all the way down to the bottom of the escarpment? I think that will be hundreds of studs. Maybe you don't need 30 to accurately portray the cliffs; that's a lot of rocks and slopes. If you don't care about watching the desert behind you, then you don't need to build the tower as high either.

As for the rest of the map. Such a great job. I would like to see a scale put in there, that would make it perfect. I was about to dust off Campaign Cartographer and make a detailed map of the inland sea, but I think I rather see what you do. I might build some of the layouts for a few of the cities though. What are you using to draw this? I think I remember you saying photoshop - are you using a CS package or elements?

I'm using GIMP because the $250 PhotoShop probably costs would buy me a lot of bricks on BrickLink! GIMP is fine once you learn how to use it. I used to use PhotoShop a bit at work years ago, and the transition wasn't too bad at all.

Yeah I meant to put in the scale, now that we've got it figured out, but I guess I forgot... I'm sure there will be another version eventually anyway.

Master Cartographer Gex! We are in awe of your work. Your fine work is recognized and very much appreciated. With these maps people of Kaliphlin shall be able to travel and trade safely!

Yakob Another TWO fantastic free builds from you! We are truely blessed to have one such as yourself in our midst!

Though I'm surprised how neat and tidy the out side is. I would have expected raw materials, partially completed ballisticas etc etc gracing the front of the the yard.

Mieky Functionally fantastic build. Clean. Simple.

I could totally see this being how someone would actually build this. as well as the super realistic use of lumber supports.

Great job!

--

With about 2 weeks to good many of us either finished or well on their way with our towers, we should set our eyes on some of the FREE BUILD items...

Specifically I think we should concentrate and start building up our cities! Obviously not build ALL of Petraea , or Barqa or Qakyar - but let's build some buildings in it!

Like a tailor shop, or the front gate, or a garrison, or any of the free build ideas... I see where our cities are on the map. but I want to see what they LOOK LIKE.

Titus is dead. He captured me, tried to enslave me for Dextrus Flagg, the dwarf. I killed his whole unit. The draken Sword burned them to death. To tell the truth, I enjoyed it.

Careful Avolonian friend, I would not admit to such crimes in public. The High King Darconian has set out harsh punishments for those that make war on other guilds.

Are you building all the way down to the bottom of the escarpment? I think that will be hundreds of studs. Maybe you don't need 30 to accurately portray the cliffs; that's a lot of rocks and slopes. If you don't care about watching the desert behind you, then you don't need to build the tower as high either.

I'm using GIMP because the $250 PhotoShop probably costs would buy me a lot of bricks on BrickLink! GIMP is fine once you learn how to use it. I used to use PhotoShop a bit at work years ago, and the transition wasn't too bad at all.

I am not building all the way down... I was going for a top of the cliff sort of view. thirty studs was the depth... I thought I could do it in BURPS and misc pieces... but I don't know if it will be structurally sound. I was thinking of only building it one story above the escarpment at the top... as the terrain should be pretty flat on the backside, and no real reason to have a high tower.

I know what you mean about PS. I am going back and forth with buying it (I am a prof and student, so I can get the deep academic discount) I do a lot of photography, and am thinking about jumping into the part time event photographer world... But I need some more powerful graphics manipulating software to do that. But right now, I am buying a lot of lego... and lens for cameras... two horribly expensive hobbies mixed into one. My wallet does not look too good.

I think I will have a free build MOC up tonight - If I get it finished. I got restless and wanted to get something built while I am waiting for Lego to arrive.

Moving on to military matters, may I present my Seige Workshop.

Capable of churning out small-scale ballistae, battering rams and sundry other weapons of war, it's located just north of Barga (and now south of Eastgate).

Yakob -- Very nice! I especially like the red and dark tan detailing along the bottom half of the walls! Great details overall actually. You might want to take a few more pics with your minifig crew in action at the workshop.

I'll have my ordnance master contact you about some acquiring some ballistas.

I am not building all the way down... I was going for a top of the cliff sort of view. thirty studs was the depth... I thought I could do it in BURPS and misc pieces... but I don't know if it will be structurally sound. I was thinking of only building it one story above the escarpment at the top... as the terrain should be pretty flat on the backside, and no real reason to have a high tower.

.... vile temptress!

/plots

maybe :devil:

--

@ NiceMarmot

Silly question... but did you actually DRAW all the little things in GIMP? or was there some sort of clip art?

Silly question... but did you actually DRAW all the little things in GIMP? or was there some sort of clip art?

The compass rose and the two sea serpents are images I found on the web and cleaned up and slightly modified.

The mountains are from custom brush files that someone put together to mimic Tolkien's maps. Again, I have slightly modified them.

Everything else is hand drawn (rivers, lakes, shorelines, cliffs, roads, cities), or made from custom brushes that I hand-drew (like the forests, desert speckling, and swamps).

And the text comes from the text tool in GIMP.

If anyone wants my custom brush files, I'm happy to send them along.

Edited by NiceMarmot

Can I still join your guild?

This group of individuals recently met just before they entered Kaliphlin, where they would like to stay and offer their services.

6441293939_c9b29c6ed4.jpg

@ Fonzy, I don't think it's too late, it's never too late, the deadline for Round 1 Watchtower contest is 15th Dec but this whole guilds thing I can see going for a year atleast. Also, would you like to give a short description of your characters?

Greetings to all, my lord and guildsmen, me and my men have been working hard and have finished a watchtower to guard the narrow pass at the north eastern point of The Great Escarpment.

Me and my men.

6441555573_31638c44a8.jpg

Some hired help.

6441555823_6ef59d1d65.jpg

The Watchtower.

6441813533_15c5e50344_m.jpg

6441558995_4d2cd376db.jpg

Link to thread.

More photos on my Flickr.

C&C Welcomed

Cheers.

Edit: P.S. There's some great builds here and Gex's map is just awesome.

Edited by CptMugwash

6441293939_c9b29c6ed4.jpg

Introduction of my characters, from left to right.

Ubora has been wandering all of his life. Home is wherever he may be. He is in search of a peacefull life, but will defend whatever is dear to him.

Halvard the dwarf, left the mines to explore the world above ground. Small in size, but great in creating anything out of stone.

Lady Querida, raised in a wealthy family. But left everything that was save behind in search of adventure.

Recently they crossed eachothers paths and since they all felt the others could help them finding what they were searching for, they agreed to travel together.

They just crossed the border and entered Kaliphlin, where they will help some locals to build a watchtower.

Introduction of my characters, from left to right.

Ubora has been wandering all of his life. Home is wherever he may be. He is in search of a peacefull life, but will defend whatever is dear to him.

Halvard the dwarf, left the mines to explore the world above ground. Small in size, but great in creating anything out of stone.

Lady Querida, raised in a wealthy family. But left everything that was save behind in search of adventure.

Nice to meet you all! Great to have you in Kaliphlin!

I think I'd like to get to know Lady Querida a bit better :sweet:

My brother Petera was recently attacked by a group of bandits after leaving a monthly fair at Bigba Oasis in the Western Badlands. I am going to create a general thread that describes the whole event and the fair, but I thought I would post a few preview pics in our guild forum.

Here is one of GEAR's famous Oil Wagons, laden with crude so fine that lamps seem to burn forever with our magic-like oil.

6443247875_37c250ef67.jpg

DSC_0683 by princeofska, on Flickr

side view:

6443232215_fb0f284087.jpg

DSC_0680 by princeofska, on Flickr

a painting of Petera under attack

6443277929_1ca2a486f4.jpg

DSC_0688 by princeofska, on Flickr

A few pictures of the fair and the stalls

6443169315_2739b2d3f0.jpg

DSC_0669 by princeofska, on Flickr

(My big problem is I don't have any baseplates, so the whole thing looks pretty spread out. Additionally, my piece count is pretty limited right now, this is actually mostly from larger PoP set and the Carriage Raid set [sorry can't remember the actual names off the top of my head] Here is the gallery link)

Can we have rivers of oil in our land? :look::grin:

But of course we do! The Petrea General Trading Company has been aware of these for some while, it occurs to us that now may be the right time to share our knowledge.

One of Kaliphlin`s strongest defenses is the ancient hidden networks of labyrinthine trenches, lakes and caverns full of oil, which sit just below our land. Some of those have surface rivers in places. Anyone who tries to get past them without permission gets barbecued pronto once the flames take hold and burn the earth above them. Only the Kaliphlin mages and AlKhymists know where the oil trenches are, and how to supress the flames once they start - but I heard there is at least one such network on every road, and around every major habitation (apart from the ravine wall of Queen`s Cross).

Rasputin

Some great towers from mikey and CptMugwash - we were slow to start but making up for it now. My tower should be completed tomorrow.

J4ke is pumping out some great MOCs! After I finish the watchtower challenge I hope to produce 3 scenes showing other Guilds visiting Stone Town. More on that later.

Fonzy - welcome to our Guild! I hope you can build a tower before the end of the challenge.

Fantastic map by NiceMarmot - my advice to anyone thinking of joining is always join the Guild with the best map! :laugh:

Great builds from Mikey (love the simplicity of the Tower, great sand, and a wonderful Fire Engine), J4ke and Capt. Mugwash. Nice to see those Kaliphlin brains kicking into action!

Fonzy, Welcome to Kalphlin. We wish you and your men a prosperous and peaceful stay.

Dugal McLean, we are shocked by the attack on your Caravanserai. Next time we urge your brother to travel under the protection of Capt. Hardiel, although he looks capable of handling the sitaution boldly himself!

Some of you may recall that The Inquisitor of Natural Philosophy of the Petrea General Trading Company, Doktor Frankenstein, was sharing a drink with Herr Liebniz of the Mountain Mummies a while ago. We can now explain why they were so happy.

Yes, our bountiful land with its pure sand, which only a fool would see as a barren desert, is going to be the biggest crystal producer in all of Historica. We will soon be producing Crystal Walls, Mirrors, Scrying glasses for Land and Sea, lenses of Ocular Rejuvenation.... We expect even greater riches from our export trade!

Rasputin

Apologies on the lateness of my reply, I have been on Ostriches traveling around for the past few days....

Fonzy - All is welcome. Now and in the future. We welcome your merry band of new acquaintances. We need stout explorers to help map out and defend our realm! Welcome! Though which traveler is you?

Ah Kcaj Nosnikta It is good to finally see you and your men! They look like a strong lot and shall do well here.

And what a great tower. Those spikes in particular will give any travelers a strong reminder of the gaze that falls upon them.

There are also some fantastic details you have placed in your tower - I'm pleased with the additional pictures on your photostream that really show some of the niceties of the build.

Dugal ! That is terrible news! I hope your brother is okay. Talk to my Master at Arms, I shall send 10 men to aid you in what justice needs to be done.

[Lack of baseplate is fine... sometimes even interesting... though if you not satisfied by how your layouts look with limited parts - you can fake it some what. Just have say a few plates in a little mound that you randomly scatter on the ground. that way it gives an impression of some landscaping without the intensive use of brick.

Similar to how those mummies are standing on - but round it out and add 1 or 2 more plates above it to make it look natural]

Wahil Excellent news on your progress! I look forward to see your tower completed.

Mikey What an iron beast you have! That shall surely burn the fears into the eyes of our enemies... hopefully it works better than some of our previous inventions...

Rasputin I did not realize that such a discovery was made! *glares at science advisor* Quick! Fetch me our finest aged Oil Whiskey and dispatch them to Rasputin for their wondrous application of new "Opticks" ...

--

I have to say that you guys are doing a fantastic job here... and I'm proud to be Kaliphlin! And stay tuned, I've procured some extra goodies to reward everyone for their wonderful work here....

Just passing by, and I thought i'd say that you guys are producing some great mocs and its good to see you all getting motivated and building up your land with different builds. Good work Kaliphiln :thumbup:

Fonzy - All is welcome. Now and in the future. We welcome your merry band of new acquaintances. We need stout explorers to help map out and defend our realm! Welcome! Though which traveler is you?

Me would be Halvard the dwarf.

Deep in the desert sands, these mystical creatures lurk. They once thrived in ancient times and pharoh's had them as pets. Now they are near extinction due to treasure hunters who want their golden carapce which has magical healing properties. As you can imagine they sell for a fortune in the bazaars and even more beyond the Siccus Badlands.

6459044743_4b4a6e52cf.jpg

Also ninja mummies.

6454664505_d738a3da61.jpg

Excellent addition CptMugwash, I'm loving the diversity that we're seeing among the mummy figures with the Tomb Kings in the far South, the Mountain Mummies in the East, and now these excellent Ninja Mummies. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Excellent addition CptMugwash, I'm loving the diversity that we're seeing among the mummy figures with the Tomb Kings in the far South, the Mountain Mummies in the East, and now these excellent Ninja Mummies. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

Thanks, I thought the pieces made a nice combo.