Si-MOCs

Kaliphlin Guild: Homepage, Sign-up and Discussion

My men will be honored to fight for the glory of Kaliphlin!

*snip*

Ooh! I like the one arm of each color. Very nice. :wub: Plus the nice Headgear. Brickforge I assume?

The board of directors of the Petraea General Trading Company are concerned about the rumoured threat to these times of peace and prosperity. CEO, President and Chairman of the Board Rasputin Jones, reporting for nationa service! And to see if we can get inside information on commodity demand. :snicker:

While we trade the Black Oil in large quantity, I have not concerned myself with the details overmuch -can anyone enlighten me what the stuff is used for?

I think we could build anything really. Seeing as there's different parts of the desert to build in, we could have one section be Mid-Eastern and another like a castle. What do you guys think?

Makes sense.

Each Guild has various regions within it, so all building styles (for the most part) can be incorporated. I mean, you can even have a 'snowy fortress' up in the mountains, when you have the scorching heat of the desert at ground level.

I would think that for the capital city and other "major" places in the heart of the desert, we stick to a more "rock and sand" type of theme but, other than that, anything goes.

Personally I prefer the lion torsos facing forward. It means I'm not constantly fiddling with arms to hide the faction logo when I'm posing figures for a MOC. As for an army, I kind of like the idea that each guild member builds their own personal band of men (or women) to support them. Medieval armies weren't very uniform anyhow so I don't see why we should aim for something like that. In short, lion torsos forward; rag tag band.

To the architecture:

I suggest that our northern lands near the border be more traditional castle builds; grassy plains and traditional European castles. Further south things become more Middle Eastern with Crusader styled fortresses. In the central desert our mystic friends hide in the vast mountains of sand; their fanciful towers and homes only viewed by a select few who have managed to survive the unforgiving desert heat. If we're feeling playful enough, we could even consider adding a parody medieval gambling town to our map; the mysterious "Lost Vegga".

As to the underlined: I prefer that, too. I also like that it hints at that whole "lion of the desert" type of thing.

I agree with your building styles. It's my understanding that 'diversity of builds' was why the guilds were set-up the way they are and I like that idea. Keeps me from getting bored and it also helps out folks who don't have a lot of a certain brick colour(s).

(*cracking up* @ "Lost Vegga" :laugh: )

Ooh! I like the one arm of each color. Very nice. :wub:

*ahem*

Please refer to pic on page three. :grin:

Edited by Ogre

I, Titus, pledge my men to your guild.

p1080030.jpg

I am the one in the middle, of course. Our Empire fell to those others. With the help of Kaliphin, we will have a large empire once again.

*ahem*

Please refer to pic on page three. :grin:

Please, I was too distracted by your Avalonia looks. :laugh: Plus the crossbow covered the other arm.

While we trade the Black Oil in large quantity, I have not concerned myself with the details overmuch -can anyone enlighten me what the stuff is used for?

Ah, some of my Dwarven minions, though short, have minds of gold. They've invented this lovely little device, just stick a bottle of oil in one end, pull this little lever, and the fires of hell itself spew out of the end much like a geyser. Of hell. :devil:

At the dawning of chaos I deciced to present my services to you, Dextrus Flagg.

I am Abū Alī al-Ḥusayn ibn Abd Allāh ibn Sīnā and I seek truth. May peace and prosperity be always in Historia.

abuali.jpg

My men will increase when CMS6 comes out I mean when reinforcments arrive from the sinking city on the outskirts, Venlantis. (Pun on Venice going like Atlantis). I am afraid a tower may not be built by my men. Not enough tan/gray bricks even though I got 20 from PAB Stratford Black Market fools.

And yes - my paint skill sucks - that's why we're getting talented people to help with the map ;)

Not sure if I qualify as talented in the cartographic department, but here's a quick revision of your map. Still have to put the forests in, and probably should make the label text a bit bigger.

6337496059_755a39a950_b.jpg

Realm of Kaliphlin by nice.marmot, on Flickr

Lord Shale, Welcome! We are entering turbulent times, and we shall need men with resources like yours to help reinforce and rebuild! For that I thank thee and share my Bread and Ale.

Rasputin Jone! Good to see thee! While I understand your concern about the recent attack on our King - the trade routes shall be protected more now than ever! Plus as our good King has decreed - we are building additional defences in our perimeter to ensure the safety in all our regions.

Titus It is good to meet another one from the old Empire. We have others here from your flock. But I hope I can earn you loyalty as I have theirs - and be proud fly the Kaliphlin flags.

Abū Alī al-Ḥusayn ibn Abd Allāh ibn Sīnā, Ah a Truth Seeker. Welcome. I hope that you find what you seek here. Please let me know if there is anything that I can be of assistance in your quest. In the mean time, please enjoy your stay in Petraea and help out where you can.

--

Gex!

Your time as a Master Building Apprentice is well known to me - but I was not aware of your Cartography skills! That is fantastic, I shall pass it along to the King's Cartographer to have it integrated into the official Atlas of Historica.

In the mean time I think we shall start adding areas as we build them out.

Also we need to put in Lost Vegga.

---

Arm colours - While officially 2 dark blue arms would be preferable - I can understand if people don't have enough arms - so alternating works - or even regular blue if necessary.

I am Abū Alī al-Ḥusayn ibn Abd Allāh ibn Sīnā

Wow! What a name! Is there a shortened version we should call you?

In the mean time I think we shall start adding areas as we build them out.

Also we need to put in Lost Vegga.

I'll add Lost Vegga, as well as the forests in the west.

Anyone want to suggest a location for Lost Vegga?

We should probably also name the big island in the south, as well as the various oceans, rivers, and maybe the big cape sticking out in the east. If you all want to suggest names, I'll put them in an re-post later tonight.

Wow! What a name! Is there a shortened version we should call you?

Abū Alī would be fine. If we want to call each other by our Kaliphlin Guild names it would be helpful if all could sign their posts. Because otherwise I only remember the usernames.

Abū Alī

My lords,

I bring news concerning the gathering forces of our enemies. Our Elvish spellcasters (indeed, we have mages as well as warriors amongst us), have scryed that the opposing guilds now have war machines, and intimidating beasts on their side; dragons, trolls and others. Perhaps it is time for us to obtain such things as well...

Velethuil, Captain of the Kaliphlin Elf-Knights

6338146503_c01d0802bb_z.jpg

My journey has been long, but I have arrived, far from my homelands beyond the kingdom of Morcia. My name is Yakob, and my colour is Red. I do not enjoy admitting it, but I am a deserter from the army of the Black Falcon, and for my sins I found myself in exile.

Many leagues have been and gone under foot and hoof, as I travelled the lands, seeking a place I can call home. I have little but my own strength and my loyal steed, but on what little I have I swear my allegiance to the Kaliphlin Guild. I beg that you accept what services I can offer, and that one day I shall regain my lost honour. Until then, I remain, Yakob the Red.

-YtR

My lords,

I bring news concerning the gathering forces of our enemies. Our Elvish spellcasters (indeed, we have mages as well as warriors amongst us), have scryed that the opposing guilds now have war machines, and intimidating beasts on their side; dragons, trolls and others. Perhaps it is time for us to obtain such things as well...

Thus that leads to our first challenge, making barriers. :wink: But some nice war beasts would look great in this army. :wub:

Yakob, all is welcome here. Your past is your past, what matters here is what do now, and in the future. And we need fighting men now more than ever. And in time I hope we would earn the loyalty you have given us and be proud to fly our Red-Blue banners. But now we need to focus on our outer defenses, I hope we will see some WIP progress reports soon!

--

Velethuil, thank you for the reports. This is disturbing news. But remember! That we are not currently at war with the other guilds - there has been peace for 10 decades. And I pray that it will stay that way.... but you and Maximo make an excellent point - perhaps we should see what War Beasts we can can buy. I would rather squander a few talons of gold and be safe ... in the war does break out.

BaydaratheScarred.jpg

Baydara the Scarred is a renowned warlord in Eastern Siccus. Having thrown his support behind the current governor of Qarkyr during a bloody insurrection, Baydara has been richly rewarded for his loyalty, and now resides in Qarkyr with his men as protectors of the city.

Baydara is a well-respected commander throughout Siccus. Calm and confident in battle, Baydara has a sound grasp of military tactics. However, he also has a yearning for glory that often sees him leading from the front in bold but reckless attacks.

Having been in the thick of many a battle, Baydara bears the marks of war. Most notable amongst these is the long brutal scar that stretches across his face. To protect this wound from the harsh eastern climate, he now wears an extravagant gold mask over his face, . He is rarely seen without it, leading some to suspect he is simply too vain to reveal his disfigured face in front of the public.

Th Kaliphlin Flag is coming. And maybe a Ruined Tower of the Old Empire is coming. By Monday I think. A chariot in order perhaps?

Here's a revised version of the map:

6339223197_03edc0a4a7_b.jpg

Enlarged the labels, added forests and swamp, cleaned it up, and prettified it a bit. Amazing how much info there is on the Internet regarding creating fantasy maps. I even found a whole set of brushes for PhotoShop, GIMP, and Seashore that someone had made to look just like features on Tolkien's maps...

I don't want to clutter it up too much. Probably just name a few key features (suggested names anyone?), and add in Lost Vegga when someone figures out where it is. And that big southern island is looking pretty empty -- is it mountainous? desert? forested? big & empty?

Anyway, suggestions are welcomed.

Now that I've got the hang of it, if anyone wants a detailed map of a certain area, I'm happy to help, as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

Next step however: design a few watchtowers!!

@NiceMarmot: very impressive map! I must say I always like maps when I'm reading Fantasy books. I can spend hours just looking at them. This one has a very professional touch and feel. Like it!

@TinyPiesRUs: Very entertaining background story :tongue:

Edited by KristofBD

So the first task is over already? :wacko:

Alright, sorry I was unable to build something for it, I've just been very busy this week... But could we perhaps get a bit more time for the second task than mere five days?