Sign in to follow this  
Praiter Yed

Brittany, pregnant teen

"Britain used to control 20% of the known world, back when we had an Empire, but now we have to take our victories where we can. "Highest teenage pregnancy rate in Europe!" Ha! Beat that, Germany!"

John Bishop, Comedian

It's doesn't seem so long ago that the media was referring to the UK as 'Cool Britannia' but now all we hear is 'Broken Britain' or sometimes 'Booze Britain'. Perhaps it's time we dump Britannia as a symbol of this once great nation and replace her with somebody more fitting...

...I'd suggest Brittany, the pregnant chavette.

6337319012_9940d67c42_b.jpg

6318430049_4d56b5811c_z.jpg

6318950976_56f3eb3e95_z.jpg

6318950720_be8ea2985e_z.jpg

Like my other entry I haven't bought any extra items to make this but again would guess around £25 for somebody who has no decal paper, varnish or parts etc.

I haven't included any extra images in my flickr but there's a version that would have been my entry had the deadline not changed in my brickshelf when public.

Original image (no she's not err 'looking for business'):

6318950506_b2d4e5c436_b.jpg

Edited by Praiter Yed

Ah a sign of the times ehy Praiter Yed :sceptic:. I like the little Potato Head on the lamp post. however all I could see was the Daily Mirror in the first pic, too good for her I say :grin:. I love the John Bishop quote at the beginning :laugh:.

Very interesting entry.

Just the other day, my American and Irish friends were arguing whether Europe or US is better, based on all sorts of stats. And according to google public data, US has Europe beaten by a large margin in terms of teen pregnancy rate, and beating Britain by a handsome margin too. So cheer up, maybe? :wacko:

As for the entry, I like all the paper very much. :thumbup:

Ah a sign of the times ehy Praiter Yed :sceptic:. I like the little Potato Head on the lamp post. however all I could see was the Daily Mirror in the first pic, too good for her I say :grin:. I love the John Bishop quote at the beginning :laugh:.

Thanks Mr Man. I really wanted to use The Sun newspaper but I couldn't find an image of one with the Lego promo on the cover but The Mirror had a picture of the Storm-trooper and Imperial Speeder (30005) so I just had to include that. I wanted to avoid making a figure that was obvious or stereotypical but I suppose I have created a stereotype in a way *huh* and John Bishops' quote was a big influence on what I ultimately made.

Absolutely brilliant! Those little details are so good! :laugh:

Thanks charlieboy, I amused myself thinking of little details to include (I'm most pleased with the lager name although it's probably a good thing it's soo difficult to read (a common UK nickname for Stella)).

I'm very pleased that Mr Man and your good self commented early on this and saw the funny side - I was a little concerned that it may have the potential to offend. :wink:

Very interesting entry.

Just the other day, my American and Irish friends were arguing whether Europe or US is better, based on all sorts of stats. And according to google public data, US has Europe beaten by a large margin in terms of teen pregnancy rate, and beating Britain by a handsome margin too. So cheer up, maybe? :wacko:

As for the entry, I like all the paper very much. :thumbup:

Thanks lisqr, perhaps I missed an opportunity to make a pregnant US teen :grin: but what would I call her?

Edited by Praiter Yed

A tragicly realistic view of modern Britain. :sadnew: Except, she's smiling. Chavettes don't smile. :laugh:

I do love the details though. The graffiti Potatohead on the lamppost is genius, like looking in a Lego parallel universe! :thumbup:

I'm very pleased that Mr Man and your good self commented early on this and saw the funny side - I was a little concerned that it may have the potential to offend. :wink:

Well as you're English It would have been strange if we took offence at it :wink:.

Chavettes don't smile. :laugh:

For a minute there I was thinking a Chavett was a baby chav :laugh:.

Two things: absolute truth and absolute genius. The decal work is superb.

Thanks Silent Mode - dry-rub decal paper again - it's the way forward :laugh:

A tragicly realistic view of modern Britain. :sadnew: Except, she's smiling. Chavettes don't smile. :laugh:

I do love the details though. The graffiti Potatohead on the lamppost is genius, like looking in a Lego parallel universe! :thumbup:

Cheers Professor Flitwick - as it's a double sided head from POP I might try the frowny face :grin:

The decals are nice.

Just iffy on the subject. :/

-Omi

Thanks Omicron, although it is intended to be viewed with a certain amount of humour I still find some elements of it a bit disconcerting myself. Sadly I would only have to walk into the town centre of where I work to see some people almost exactly like this. I would be interested to hear if there's any specific aspect that you find 'iffy'?

Ha ha ha... very nice work! :thumbup:

Cheers wokajablocka.

Well as you're English It would have been strange if we took offence at it :wink:.

Yep, us Brits don't mind laughing at ourselves as long as nobody else is laughing at us :laugh:

If I get chance before the competition closes I'm going to change the colour of the lamp - It's been pointed out to me that this currently adds an additional connotation that I didn't intend :blush:

Thanks charlieboy, I amused myself thinking of little details to include (I'm most pleased with the lager name although it's probably a good thing it's soo difficult to read (a common UK nickname for Stella)).

What is the nickname for Stella, if I may ask? I can't really make it out on the picture. Too bad such a good quality Belgian beer is associated with 'chavs' :tongue: . Tsk, tsk, all the work and craftmanship we put into that :tongue: !

On topic though, I can't really speak about the situation the figure represents, since I'm not from Britain, but I can say the custom work is really nice as others have already pointed out. Your decals look really good and are well applied :thumbup: .

I had to look up what a 'chav' is, since I didn't know the term and to my surprise we have that kind of subculture here in Flanders, too (and to a lesser extent in Walloonia). The difference is however that over here it's middle class/semi-rich kids that dress like the English poorer chavs. We also have people of lower class joining in, but overall it used to be a subculture for the richer folks. Nowadays, the fad has died out somewhat and everybody is now impersonating American gangsta dress again (except the poorer working class folks, they stay chav now).

Thanks Omicron, although it is intended to be viewed with a certain amount of humour I still find some elements of it a bit disconcerting myself. Sadly I would only have to walk into the town centre of where I work to see some people almost exactly like this. I would be interested to hear if there's any specific aspect that you find 'iffy'?

You just answered your question. :P

But yeah the quality of the custom is very clean though.

-Omi

Great MOC.

Is it dog poo, next to the lamp? Or is it a donut someone bought with coffee and dropped and left it?

I sincerely hope it is a donut. It would give me the creeps otherwise.

Edited by Wardancer

What is the nickname for Stella, if I may ask? I can't really make it out on the picture. Too bad such a good quality Belgian beer is associated with 'chavs' :tongue: . Tsk, tsk, all the work and craftmanship we put into that :tongue: !

On topic though, I can't really speak about the situation the figure represents, since I'm not from Britain, but I can say the custom work is really nice as others have already pointed out. Your decals look really good and are well applied :thumbup: .

I had to look up what a 'chav' is, since I didn't know the term and to my surprise we have that kind of subculture here in Flanders, too (and to a lesser extent in Walloonia). The difference is however that over here it's middle class/semi-rich kids that dress like the English poorer chavs. We also have people of lower class joining in, but overall it used to be a subculture for the richer folks. Nowadays, the fad has died out somewhat and everybody is now impersonating American gangsta dress again (except the poorer working class folks, they stay chav now).

For a long time the Lagers available in the UK were generally quite weak and tasteless, Stella always stood out as having flavour but also as being one of the stronger biers. I think the fact that people would drink it in the same quantities and at the same pace as other Lagers, and therefore get very drunk, earned it the nickname of 'wife beater' - not a pleasant nickname for a good quality Belgian beer.

Back on topic; Thanks Khorne, I'm pleased to hear that Chavs are not confined to the UK :laugh:

You just answered your question. :P

But yeah the quality of the custom is very clean though.

-Omi

:laugh: Ahh, I see. Thanks.

Great MOC.

Is it dog poo, next to the lamp? Or is it a donut someone bought with coffee and dropped and left it?

I sincerely hope it is a donut. It would give me the creeps otherwise.

Cheers Wardancer. I wouldn't want to give you the creeps so you just keep telling yourself 'It's a donut, it's a donut, it's a...' :grin:

Updated first pic with a different coloured light - so she no longer looks like she might be soliciting :tongue:

EDIT: I forgot to thank Commdr Neyo for suggesting using a blue lightsabre blade and highlighting the insinuation of the 'red-light'.

Edited by Praiter Yed

I know nothing about the subject matter, but the build/decal is very clever and exquisitely done. Brilliant work! I have never used decals before, but I want to start customizing. I have never heard of this dry rub decal paper. It sounds promising.

I know nothing about the subject matter, but the build/decal is very clever and exquisitely done. Brilliant work! I have never used decals before, but I want to start customizing. I have never heard of this dry rub decal paper. It sounds promising.

Thanks TheLegoDr. I started a topic on Dry Rub Paper here, where there's a couple of varying opinions. I've found the white dry-rub paper useful for applying to darker coloured pieces because it puts a white adhesive backing behind your print which allows the colours to be more vivid (in my limited experience).

On this particular custom I've used dry-rub for the torso and standard transparent decals for the arms & legs. I'd certainly recommend the dry-rub paper to somebody starting out using decals because in many ways it's less hassle and less materials (you still need varnish). But, they are pretty tricky to apply - you need a steady hand because once you peel the backing this stuff is STICKY - no chance of repositioning.

I'm still relatively new to this though and really need to try my hand with other materials, maybe some of the experts would say dry-rub paper is rubbish.

Updated first pic with a different coloured light - so she no longer looks like she might be soliciting :tongue:

EDIT: I forgot to thank Commdr Neyo for suggesting using a blue lightsabre blade and highlighting the insinuation of the 'red-light'.

I completely did not get the insinuation of that :laugh:. Ah the innocence of youth :grin:.

I just love your entry!:D And the intergluteal cleft showing from behind her pants is the icing on the cake.

BTW Does Brittany talk like Vicky Pollard or is she perhaps a bit more articulate?;)

Thanks Sorrow, I've learnt a new term 'intergluteal cleft' :grin:.

She'd be very similar to Vicky she'd just have a more northern accent (no offence Northerners :wink:).

I completely did not get the insinuation of that :laugh:. Ah the innocence of youth :grin:.

:laugh: It was completely lost on me too until commndr_neyo suggested changing the colour on my flickr. Then I showed it to a guy I work with, who's a bit of a closet AFOL, and the first thing he said was 'is she on the game?' :oh: