Athos

Are you sick of Star Wars?

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

After seeing the pictures of the 2007 sets, I found myself very underwhelmed. This got me thinking about the Star Wars line. When they first came out, I was on cloud nine. I bought every set, at full retail price. And continued to do so for several years afterwards. Lately, however, for reasons, of which I am not quite certain, I am not all that interested in Star Wars lego anymore. Here are some of my thoughts, as to why:

-Been there, done that. It seems to me that the majority of the sets being released are rehashing previously released sets. The Y-wing, the AT-ST, the falcon, the three X-wings, the seemingly infinite iterations of TIEs. Even the landing craft seems to be a rehash of the shuttle... When does it end? (I understand the marketing strategy, to make sales on younger kids who missed out on the earlier models, but it doesn't mean I have to like it). And to think, we've got how many more years of this? I was excited about the sail barge and minifig ISD, as they were something we had not seen before, but not with this line up. Perhaps this is the weakness of licensed products, there is only a finite amount of source material. Whereas with an independent line, the products are only limited by the imagination of the developers.

-Fatigue. After, is it, seven years, now? I'm feeling kind of burnt out. I used to eagerly wait for new releases, but now I hardly care. Perhaps its time to give it a rest for a year or two, concentrate on something else, then come back to it, when everyone is fresh. Now, I admit, Castle lasted much longer than seven years, but it wasn't hampered by the aforementioned repetitiveness.

-Flesh-tones. Now this isn't really an issue with this years line up, but it has been in the recent past. As I am not a die hard Star Wars fan, but rather a lego fan, the sets' appeal is greatly reduced by the inability to use the figures along side my non-licensed figures.

-Or perhaps I'm just getting old...

I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Steve

I agree on several points, mostly being the Fleshies and the rehashes. But what I would LOVE (and think we'll see) is an expanse into the EU vehicles and story. With the introduction of the new TV series, a wealth of new ships (and actual sets) will be prime for turning into those loveable bricks. There are also so many more places TLG can (and will eventually) explore, such as playsets of Mos Espa, Hoth, Dagobah. A playset of the Tantive IV, maybe even the Death Star! I think what happened was that you relived the glory days of star wars that you remember from being a child, and were overwhelmed with nostalgia in the first wave, however the PT sets, while fun, were somewhat less special to you. Then you got nothing but some rehashes, but look at it this way. We're demanding playsets more and more, instead of just vehicles. Slowly but surely they're listening to us, and I feel that in the upcoming years you will see a move in the direction of new sets. I mean there aren't many more sets that they CAN remake :-P

well i guess much depends on how big of a Star wars fan in general you are. If you're not really into it, it's easier to lose interest. I guess it's like the trekkies: they would probably love a 'Lego Enterprise' every year. it doesn't matter if it's good or bad, they'll buy it anyway. It's this fairly large fanbase of sw that keeps the license going, they're not an assurance that the sets will become major sellers, but at least they provide the company with a decent sale every year. As long as that works, they'll even continue after 2011.

still, I can relate to what you're saying. Nothing compares to that feeling when you got your very first xwing fighter, waaaaaay back in 1999.

But there are still many many things to make..and no i dont mean spaceships...

I want to see some buildings!!

Cloud city was nice but it was more a play-set than an actuall building..

i want a remake of the mos-esley (im i saying this right?) cantina!!

The sail-barge was WOW great!

but that was mostly because we had never seen that before..

I dont think i want to see another AT-AT or another X-wing..

I undertsand that there are kids that werent even born back in 1999 but whats in it for me?

im not an actuall star-wars fan..thow i have watched every film and i really like it but its not "to die for" for me..

I think lego marketers know what sells and whant to make a good profit..

And they try to make AFOLs happy with the designer sets...

still i have a felling something is missing..

and i think that is a star-wars WORLD..(buildings-places-details-characters-creatures)

Basically, I'm not sick of Star Wars. But I am sick of TLC using the line to make tons and tons of money without being really creative. Reissues, sets that are way more expensive then other sets with a comparable piece count, you name it.

I quit buying big sets. They're just too expensive for what they offer. TLC should really try to be more creative, but lickily, they're somewhat giving the fans what the want now.

i agree. although i own mostly 2006 sets (one or two from 2002 like jango's slave 1 and y-wing/tie-advance) i can see how it can get repetative with re-releases. unfortunately there is not much you can do with a licensed theme. apart from the few key iconic machines/vehicles, what else is there for a licensed theme? so i do agree with you that licensed themes are restricted in what they can create since you are effectively borrowing the creative ideas of other people instead of making your own. unlicensed themes are also kinda restricted to genre but at least the designers have free reign within that genre. eg, just how many police sets can you come up with. :-P

I guess it's like the trekkies: they would probably love a 'Lego Enterprise' every year. it doesn't matter if it's good or bad, they'll buy it anyway.

I'm a bit of a trekkie, but would not like a new version of the same Enterprise every year. That being said, I might buy them if it was an original Enterprise, followed by an A, B, C, D, E and so forth (I think an Enterprise B would be great). The repetitiveness, along with the lack of any good ideas for small sets, is what really makes me not in favor of a Star Trek line.

I won't even read all those pessimistic comments on my FAVORITE line of all times

Its not 100% pessimistic, I do state that I liked the Sailbarge and minifig ISD (though I must say, the stickers really put me off). AT-ST was nice too, as was Cloud City.

A playset of the Tantive IV, maybe even the Death Star!

Now those would be nice. I really like how the ISD was done. Looks nice from the outside and has a fun interior.

There are also so many more places TLG can (and will eventually) explore, such as playsets of Mos Espa, Hoth, Dagobah.

Those would be nice too. Perhaps as a more historical theme fan, I prefer the locations to the dearth of vehicles. Vehicles also seem to rely too heavily on plates, whereas I'd much prefer bricks.

unlicensed themes are also kinda restricted to genre but at least the designers have free reign within that genre. eg, just how many police sets can you come up with.

That is true in practice. But if the designers would get out of the police/fire/paramedic rut there would be tons of town sets. Motels, Restaurants, Stores, Gas Stations (we used to get tons of these, but now how long has it been?) Homes, Civic Buildings, Farms, Zoos, Parks and the list goes on.

the PT sets, while fun, were somewhat less special to you

I think that plays a big part. I usually skip the PT sets, unless they are on sale, have good parts or are a gift, like the ULD... which is a whole other story... X-D

Steve, the Star Wars fatigued pessimist ;-)

Steve, the Star Wars fatigued pessimist ;-)

be careful with the things you say here! before you know it, this will be your new title, and then you'll be tagged for the rest of your life :-P

And to answer the question Athos asks: HELL NO

Exactly!

I'm not sick of SW,and i even gained even more interest in it when i saw the 2007 pic of the new AT-ST set,while the amount of interest i had before i saw 2007 pics already was large.

Now all Lego has to do is release some never-(or once)-released-before ships,locations etc.

*vader*

Yeah, Yoda, you seriously stole my line. But I'll say it again.

Hell no. I've still got armies to build, I've still got characters I want made (Rebel Troopers damn you LEGO) and I'll probably cling on until the bitter end. So what if we've got rehashes, they're better looking than the old ones. Who cares about fleshies, just replace 'em. And, most of all, these stupid greys are more trouble than they're worth. Sorry, but my views are hwat they are. I'm not attacking anyone, and I don't intend to insult.

'07 really has kept me hooked, along with LSWII.

The new sets aren't great, but I don't mind. There'll be more in the future. And remakes are good for people who didn't get the set the first time. Like me....I want a Millenium Falcon....

never!

1. if you already own a set you don't have to buy a redesign! it is your choice after all.

2. if you say you are a collector and must own all the sets a but are fed up with redisgns. then maybe it it time to change what you collect.

3. it's star wars! you can never have enough x-wings and tie fighters. :-P

The star wars line is the best thing lego got since minifigs. TLC has got soo much more areas of star wars to explore, and only time can tell whats comin up. If they make a taun taun and a deathstar playset then ill be pretty much statisfied.

I stopped buying SW sets about 1 year and a half ago. The prices were the main reason. The fact that I already have all the main characters was another one. Now this year, I might pick an AT-ST and one or two sets for the new guns. I think they're now heading in the right direction. We can argue that it's a bit late and that now they will ressell all the vessells with only the new guns but I doubt it. Not to mention the efforts put in the new Y-Wing, it's close to the UCS version at a MF scale. So I'd go for a "YENO" X-O

To answer your question, Sne....Oops, I mean Athos X-D ...

NO WAY!

I don't usually buy starwars, due to my tight budget, but I still have almost alll of the first year starwars kits, and with the new minifig packs and AT-ST coming out next year, starwars will no doubt be part of my wants again! Besides, they still have so much more to make! (hoth, endor, and death star playsets, more episode 3 kits, EU kits, the list goes on and on! 8-

This year's line doesn't have me excited, but it doesn't have me yawning either. I'll get the landing craft for sure, and probably at least one of the Clone pack to get enough rifles for the rest of my older figs. I don't like Grevious's starfighter or the new x-wing or y-wing, but others do, and the more people who buy SW sets, the more money lego has to take a gamble on other non-SW lines (think Aquaraiders, 9V trains).

I don't care about remakes, lego seems to balance between a few remakes and a few new sets each year. I really think they should go into EU stuff, making some of the most popular items. I never got either Falcon set because I didn't like the designs of them; however, due to its blockier design, I'd likely be first in line for a Ebon Hawk set, even at $100.

Can one ever get sick of LEGO Star Wars? I can not.

LEGO Star Wars got me started and I will continue to be complete i SW line until LEGO stop making 'em.

But make overs/remakes and so on is not that great. But we see that in all LEGO lines. How many firestations do we have? LEGO is making what ever sells to the large public. Chrildren! If that keeps LEGO alive then it is fine for me.

Some of the first SW ships were not that great and the remakes make the experience better. It is kind of fun to see the evolution *alien*

Well yes. I'm sick and tired of all things StarWars.

Way back, when I saw the Lego sets I was hooked, over time I amassed almost every set I could get my hands on. But with the advent of Episodes 2 and 3 my interest in SW faded. With the craptastical blow the SE of the original trilogy was I came to despise the franchise even more, up to the point where I would not want to throw my money (which comes in limited quantities as it is!) in GL's general direction.

The only things StarWars I MIGHT consider picking up is selected Lego sets for parting out, the LSW PC-games (once they get rereleased together for less money) and a toy-lightsaber just for the fun of swinging it around and making "Whoom!Whaaaom!"-sounds during the process *sweet* X-D

So yes apart from these little exemptions I'm pretty much through with SW...

(and I won't even buy the OOT movies on DVD when they come out...)

Flesh tones = teh lame.

More SW Lego = teh awesome. Yes they're re-hashes, and we do want to see new stuff, but...I kinda like the Re-Hashes, as I've never gotten any of those. I want that Ship!

It's hard to get sick of a theme that you've only collected for one year....though still only have one set. I have to go back and get older sets *coughMilleniumFalconcough*, but I'm worried if I spend a lot on them, will they be re-released?

This was a good topic, but to let one's love for the SW theme be controlled by new grey or fleshtones is sooo way off - can we please stop ranting on those topics? I'm pretty sure noone listens anyway.

SW rocks and is THE NUMERO UNO theme for LEGO EVER!!. Sure it's not perfect and some sets have their design flaws. But c'mon guys - this theme kicks megablocks. Cool minifigs and most of the sets cool. It's been here almost as long (if not longer) as the Classic Space Theme.

that'll do *sad*

KimT

SW ON!

This was a good topic, but to let one's love for the SW theme be controlled by new grey or fleshtones is sooo way off - can we please stop ranting on those topics? I'm pretty sure noone listens anyway.

SW rocks and is THE NUMERO UNO theme for LEGO EVER!!. Sure it's not perfect and some sets have their design flaws. But c'mon guys - this theme kicks megablocks. Cool minifigs and most of the sets cool. It's been here almost as long (if not longer) as the Classic Space Theme.

that'll do *sad*

KimT

SW ON!

well the essential factor not to buy SW sets is the price, whether set look cool or not. Many of these sets are not just expensive, many reach a price range of 60-130 euro, that's really a lot, especially compared to the other Lego themes. add to that, the number of UCS sets which are fairly high in price as well and a general interest in Lego sets of other themes and you're pretty much in trouble if you want all sw + a good deal of others.