Sign in to follow this  
Mister Phes

Knockoff/Clone/Imitation Brand Pirate Sets

Quite often these imitation Pirate LEGO sets appear while searching for the genuine stuff. But are these knock-offs any good?

Report your finds and opinions in this thread.

First off, hello again, long time no post for myself. Things got busy what with heading home to see the family between semesters, and this year won't be giving me too much time for this hobby, thanks to the 8 papers I need to write, two of them over 20 pages long. But I digress, is thats how you spell it :)

Ska, I remember from my previous chinese knockoff lego post you were looking for the ships, well sir, here you go.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/CRAZYSHOP-Like-pirate-s...1QQcmdZViewItem

I hope this is actually what you are looking for, and it looks like there have at least one more from their ebay shop.

Enjoy, and hello to everyone again!

Texas

Since eBay auctions only remain in the eBay database for 90 after the auction ends I've saved the images to my brickshelf folder and posted the details of the auction.

pirate_ship_not_lego.jpg

Buy It Now price: US $24.99

(Approximately C $27.95)

End time: 16-Sep-06 12:03:53 EDT (2 days 10 hours)

Shipping costs:

To Canada -- US $35.00

Standard Int'l Flat Rate Shipping (more services)

Ships to: Worldwide

Item location: default, default, Hong Kong

If anyone wants to see all the images check out this Brickshelf folder.

Is it just me or do these "pirates" wear viking helmets?

What's that ship? Is not a ship of LEGO pirates theme. Is it a MOC which is being offered in eBay?

Not its an immitation brand called Brick/Block or something like that. From my understanding they're not official LEGO pieces.

Not more of this horrible cheap knock off brands, why is this not outlawed by the Lego factory do they not have the powers to legally stop such companies from doing this. I for one avow to never purchase any of this cheapness because I refuse to provide for support for this who make poor product.

Lego pirates are much better than this horrible imitation yohoho

But...can somebody put bigger images? I'd like to see the minifigs better

I must inform everyone what is pictured at the top of this tjread is not a "knock off". I went into a toystore yesterday and low and behold these sets were on the shelves! Unlike Asia it would be illegal to sell direct knock offs here so what we're looking at is a competing brand in a similiar vein of Mega Bloks or Brick Block.

Those sails are terrible, minner.

Well, in any case, the photos are small and i can't see the minifigs.

Can somebody told me where can i see that minifigs? I know i could use google but i put "Knockoff" and "knock off" in images nothing...

The sails are terrible indeed. Seriously, do they think a pirate would mark his ship as a pirate with a very big sail? that would completly spoil the surprise effect.....

Those sails are terrible, minner.
it appears the sail materials are of high quality, the graphics are well executed, the colors are vibrant and make for great romanticized pirate iconography (for kids, which is who this is designed for).

if this were an MOC's sails, i would say they are the best i've ever seen (or maybe next to baronsat's). just because it is another toy company, and not a LEGO fan who created them, doesn't mean they aren't good.

good is good.

- BrickMiner

While discussing the sails, lets not forget some of Lego's own plunders, such as the Renegade Runner. Skull and cross bones on that tiny little ship. For an imitation brand, I don't mind the look of these sets. Obviously, they pail in comparison to actual Lego, but if the quality is ok, or if they are interchangeable with Lego, what could be wrong with them? I love Lego pirates, but I realize that other companies could be releasing good pirate themed building bricks too. Too each their own I suppose though.

The web (espacially US eBay) tends to get crowded with knock off sets usually from Hong Kong. Most of of what have seen for sale is castle related and slightly modified from the Lego sets. I have seen 6044 king's carriage and 6046 hemlock stronghold knock-offs for sale at less than $15.00 MISB. Their original boxes were quite identical to the original Lego boxes. They were from a brick brand called "Enlighten" and were said to be Lego compatible. I would never buy such things, not even for collecting purposes. :'-(

The web (espacially US eBay) tends to get crowded with knock off sets usually from Hong Kong. Most of of what have seen for sale is castle related and slightly modified from the Lego sets. I have seen 6044 king's carriage and 6046 hemlock stronghold knock-offs for sale at less than $15.00 MISB. Their original boxes were quite identical to the original Lego boxes. They were from a brick brand called "Enlighten" and were said to be Lego compatible. I would never buy such things, not even for collecting purposes. :'-(

sorry been busy...

thanks for posting.... i saw these on ebay too i think... they look interesting to say the least...

\

phes, how much were they in aussie money? and any idea what it translates into american? also, i dont suppose you can ship to the USA for less then the 35 bucks that guy was doing it for? wondering... because i t would be interesting to get my hands on one if it became financially feasable... and if i could find someone to pick one up at a store, some one i trust lol, then i would feel comfortable buying one and doing a full review for everyone here.

SkaForHire, I do not have the local price but I'd just use a currency converter to get the most accurate US price conversion. I'm not sure how much it would cost to ship to the USA but right at this moment I couldn't even get it back to my place because I don't have a car and the box is quite big. Furthermore I won't have time to return to that toy store until mid November due to my other committments.

However, if you can wait till then I can look into the matter further.

SkaForHire, I do not have the local price but I'd just use a currency converter to get the most accurate US price conversion. I'm not sure how much it would cost to ship to the USA but right at this moment I couldn't even get it back to my place because I don't have a car and the box is quite big. Furthermore I won't have time to return to that toy store until mid November due to my other committments.

However, if you can wait till then I can look into the matter further.

hehe dont worry about it... right now lego has to take a backseat in my own life ;) sorry i havent been around the last couple weeks. Looks like things are still in good shape though! lol.

I'm phenomenally busy myself but at the very least I post, no MOCing unfortunately.

I assume that they would sell these sets in your area too because its very unlikely that they only be available in Australia and nowhere - if anything Australia has recieved them months after the rest of the world. So its matter of going round all the toy stores to see if they're available

I'm phenomenally busy myself but at the very least I post, no MOCing unfortunately.

I assume that they would sell these sets in your area too because its very unlikely that they only be available in Australia and nowhere - if anything Australia has recieved them months after the rest of the world. So its matter of going round all the toy stores to see if they're available

i have to go to the nearest city tomorow, so i will check it out... but being a small city, we only have one TRU and a KB toy store.... and they rarely get stuff that is not mainstream it seems...

Today, I have seen a knock-off MISB copy of the Lego 6279 Skull Island set. The brand was Brick Block Enlighten and it was according to the box made in China. There were some Chinese markings on the box as well but no clue as to year of production, something that is commonly seen on a genuine Lego box. The box was partly made of purple cardboard just like the Pirate sets from the Lego System era (post yellow and blue Legoland boxes).

The box cover photo was a genuine Lego photo and the contents inside the box was different. The minifigs had less detail (especially the torso prints were of a lesser quality) and most likely overall quality leaves to be desired. Also, the black Captain Roger fig had a black vest with yellow arms and black legs with yellow hips. Strange combination if you ask me and a deviation compared to the Lego fig.

The box had to remain closed of course but what I saw was blocks that looked the same as real Lego. I think this set was purchased on retail for $20 or so and at that price, I would dare to take the risk to buy one.

I was looking on ebay and i saw a BSB for cheap, i go in there to see it's a colone brand! The thing looks exactly like the BSB except for a crows net and ONE sail change. No doubt they'll get sued or something.