kyphur

Layout WIP: I've finally started a real layout!

Your layout is going to be great, kyphur.

Nice start already. It will be great having the ability to leave a nice big layout set up and accessible for adding models and scenery as it grows and grows.

I suggest that when you get to the baseplate stage, you first put down a layer of plywood (secured but removable) overlapping the table joins. Even if you are on a level concrete floor, you will inevitably get some settling somewhere (eg more heavy buildings or scenery on one table) and the extra layer will help counter that. It wouldn't have to be particularly thick ply.

Could you post some close-up pics of the turntable?

I think it's this custom model from blokbricks:

http://www.blokbricks.com/contents/en-us/image_viewer.html?lmd=0.000000

It's not bad but unfortunately the way it's designed does not allow you to turn a loco around, just direct it to various tracks. It's cool but technically it's not actually a turntable.

I still haven't got my turntable motorised but being able to spin an Emerald Night and tender (or aby loco) around with having to pick it up it really useful.

Might have to try out some ideas this weekend. It would be easier if it was up on a nice big table instead of me having to extract it from a corner of my Lego room floor layout to work on it. Oh for the space you have, khypur so I could work on it in situ.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Could you post some close-up pics of the turntable?
I think it's this custom model from blokbricks:

http://www.blokbricks.com/contents/en-us/image_viewer.html?lmd=0.000000

It's not bad but unfortunately the way it's designed does not allow you to turn a loco around, just direct it to various tracks. It's cool but technically it's not actually a turntable.

Yep, that's the Turntable I have.

I would like to eventually build a "real" Turntable but this one gives me something that I don't otherwise have for the time being.

The 2 main improvements would be 360 degree rotation and longer table surface to accommodate Large Engines/Steamers with a tender.

Incline for the Bridge:

6328877546_c28ed04da9_z.jpg

Notice all of the track is Flex Track. It has a little give lengthwise which allows my pillars to line-up with the plates below.

The slope is 2 Plates for each Length of Track (a Length is 16 studs).

It takes 16 Lengths to rise 10 Bricks!

Unfortunately my "Shorty" Shunter can only pull 1 boxcar up the incline, I guess my Freight Locomotives will need to be converted to dual PF Train Motors if they're going to run on the Cross-Country Line!

There are other updated pics in my flickr stream.

Edited by kyphur

You might want to switch to actual straight track and see if that improves the pulling power up the hill or not. The various small gaps in the flex track could be letting the train motor wheels slip too much.

Edited by Veeb0rg

You might want to switch to actual straight track and see if that improves the pulling power up the hill or not.

Already tried that and I still get the slippage but it's worse (I think because it's smoother.

I'm thinking if trying to coat at least one side of the track with "Grip Tape" and see if that helps.

I'd really prefer to be able to use Flex Track for the whole incline on both sides because it "stretches" just enough that I don't have to adjust for the fact that the slope side of the triangle is actually a bit longer than the ground level side.

BTW, My inclines are going to be 22 Sections in Length and rise 14 Bricks & 1 Plate!

My actual Bridge will be 4 Sections long.

A 2 lane roadway and 1 set of track will pass under the bridge. Next to the bridge will be an elevated bit of landscape also 4 Sections long that will have a Tunnel passing under the track with a single set of track passing through. Both stretches of track will be in the loop used to move Empty Freight Cars into the Freight Yard Empty and back to the Switching Yard loaded.

Edited by kyphur

that looks great. the flex track looks more realistic on a bridge like that. Nice job! :thumbup:

Thanks, my thoughts exactly on the Flex Track.

I also decided to not go crazy on the structure because sometimes there is elegance in simplicity. Eventually there'll be a little more but for now this will be just fine.

I really like that train bridge. Yes its simplistic, but totally realistic. Nice job.

Thanks for the compliments on the bridge...

Here's what I'm thinking of doing for the Support Pillars:

6334304724_d9c9ee9a33_z.jpg

BTW, I'm thinking that this might end-up being my third entry in the 7777 Redux Contest. I was working on a container crane but have really gotten into the layout and haven't really progressed on the crane much but I think this bridge is very much along the lines of the 7777 Idea book.

Clearance is 14 Bricks. Dimensions: 16 Studs Wide, 68 Studs Long, 32 Bricks Tall

Edited by kyphur

I'm really liking those pillars - simple, but enough to be interesting. Might do something very similar on mine.

That's exactly what I was going for. I don't want the pillars to take away from the bridge, inclines or the rest of the layout but I also don't want them to just be plain rectangles. I've seen Concrete Pillars around here that look similar to this design.

What's a good way to buy a load of (grey/greyish) bricks for bridges and tunnels?

For me it's BrickLink. I just look-up the brick I want in the catalog and click on the link for the color I want under "Lots for sale". Next I use the filter to narrow the list by sellers in the US (cheaper shipping of course) and minimum quantity I need. Then I take the store with the lowest price and the quantity I want. Of course I always buy a few bucks extra just to bump-up my inventory of parts.

well, you've inspired me with your bridge, I just ordered 4x grey trapezoid bridge pieces (55767). :look:

Edited by eliminator

well, you've inspired me with your bridge, I just ordered 4x grey trapezoid bridge pieces (55767). :look:

I'll be working on polishing-up the Building Instructions for the bridge over the next few days and should have complete instructions posted by next weekend.

I like the bridge and it does remind me of the bridge structures from the 7777 Idea Book so this will be my 3rd and final 7777 Redux Contest Entry!

I'll be working on polishing-up the Building Instructions for the bridge over the next few days and should have complete instructions posted by next weekend.

I like the bridge and it does remind me of the bridge structures from the 7777 Idea Book so this will be my 3rd and final 7777 Redux Contest Entry!

I look forward to seeing the Building Instructions. Before I saw your design, I did not know the piece existed :)

I look forward to seeing the Building Instructions. Before I saw your design, I did not know the piece existed :)

yea, me too. After some research I found that it was only available in grey in one set, 7900 Heavy Loader. I managed to find a seller with four of them on Bricklink for about $4 each. There's also few sets that use an orange version that usually sell for bout $2 each.

yea, me too. After some research I found that it was only available in grey in one set, 7900 Heavy Loader. I managed to find a seller with four of them on Bricklink for about $4 each. There's also few sets that use an orange version that usually sell for bout $2 each.

Unfortunately that is the sad part on the grey... I was looking for the same parts last week but, I paid only $5.85 for 6 orange. I'm debating whether I will paint them, as I too need them grey for a bridge.

The layout is getting better, that raised rail should be awesome! How much more track needs laying before buildings go up? default_classic.gif

Unfortunately that is the sad part on the grey... I was looking for the same parts last week but, I paid only $5.85 for 6 orange. I'm debating whether I will paint them, as I too need them grey for a bridge.

Yeah, I paid $7.50 each to get my 4 Grey ones but they look great. I'm thinking of buying another set of 4 just in case.

The layout is getting better, that raised rail should be awesome! How much more track needs laying before buildings go up? default_classic.gif

Here's the "Fit Test" for the Bridge:

6349062058_7ca91f5f07_z.jpg

My green transfer caboose is the tallest rolling stock in my inventory so if it fits then everything else will.

Of course the side structure isn't the actual design, just a temp connector for those lovely parts (sadly waiting on a BL order for the 2x8 Gray Bricks)...

And the middle Pillar isn't in the pic so I could put the shunter & transfer caboose under like I did.

I haven't actually laid any track yet! I'm just "dry fitting" it at this point.

Next step is to sheet the tables with baseboard (either 1/8 or 1/4 inch) and then get all of the baseplates down. Initially I'll just put basepates where the rails are running. First the perimeter loop will be put down (which includes the bridge and tunnel). Then I'll lay the switching yard and freight yard.

Honestly the town will be the last part to get planned and built so I can't say when it might happen.

BTW, I've decided to ballast my track using 1 layer of Light Grey plates/tiles 10 wide. I'll pepper the ballast layer with black & dark grey 1x1 round plates here and there just to add a little texture.

This layout is getting insanely expensive! The baseplates alone are enough to cover Christmas!

6349062058_7ca91f5f07_z.jpg

And the middle Pillar isn't in the pic so I could put the shunter & transfer caboose under like I did.

Instead of a middle pillar, add a 1x7 liftarm piece on the top inside of the bridge trusses, with a pin in every available hole (6 per). Then it can function just like a real Truss Bridge.