kyphur

Layout WIP: I've finally started a real layout!

6297597238_ff1d0eb748_z.jpg

10 Banquet Tables (29.5 in x 72 in)

Dimensions:

* 17.2 ft (left in the pic)

* 12 ft (top of pic)

* 7.4 ft (top right of pic)

* 6 ft (top right, lower horizontal edge)

* 9.8 ft (mid - lower right of pic)

* 6 ft (bottom of pic)

Track used:

* 112 Straight Track

* 30 Curve Track

* 10 Flex Track

* 2 Point, Right

The 2 Double Crossovers aren't connected at this time. They will eventually provide access between to "Local" Lines and the Perimeter Line which is meant to represent a Long Haul Line.

I have already ordered enough green baseplates to run around the perimeter of the tables. Eventually I'll have the entire surface of the tables covered with baseplates.

I'll eventually add 4 more tables so that its 8 x 2 tables with the incomplete row or tables having a gap of 2 tables in the middle. Then one set of 6 tables (3 x 2) will be my Train/Freight Yard and the other set of 6 tables (3 x 2) will be a small town with 2 local transit lines.

The Perimeter Line will always represent my Cross Country "Long Haul" Line with a few switches to enter/exit the yard and one access point (double crossover) to get into the town's local transit lines.

The Flickr Set

Edited by kyphur

Are you sure you want to go with the huge rectangular surface? With so many tables you could make it more irregularly shaped, both for easier access to the center and more variation.

- Sok.

Wow, that is a huge space.

I am not a train builder, but in addition to the comment above, such a large open space would need a lot of Lego to fill it up (if that is your intention).

But I am jealous of all that space (and all the options that are available to you).

I like the large perimeter track as it provides a large area inside, which can be used for many city themes from rural to urban.

Are you sure you want to go with the huge rectangular surface? With so many tables you could make it more irregularly shaped, both for easier access to the center and more variation.

Sok,

Part of the problem is that the basement is more or less a rectangular space so in order to get as much table surface as possible in it I need to arrange the tables in a more or less rectangular layout.

My final Table layout will be 15 tables in total arranged in 2 rows. The complete row will be 9 tables wide. In front of that will be 3 tables - gap of 3 tables - 3 tables.

I'm 6ft 3 in tall so I have a pretty decent reach and will be able to easily access most of the table surface. In fact there will just be a small area that I will need to lean on the table to access. I might just get a gripper to help with that area. Also I figure the void will be a nice place to put a WIP Table and I can sit there to run my trains for relaxation being able to view the whole layout.

So from above the layout will look like this ( [##] = a table):

[##][##]

[##][##]

[##][##]

[##]

[##]

[##]

[##][##]

[##][##]

[##][##]

This will give me an area 3 tables wide by 2 tables deep (88.5 x 144 in / 7.4 x 12 ft) each for my Train/Freight Yard and Town and the section in between will be 3 tables wide by 1 table deep (88.5 x 72 in / 7.4 ft x 6 ft) for miscellaneous scenery across the country side. I just might put my motorized turntable and some Train Sheds (including 10027) in that area if the Train Yard gets too crowded for it.

I'm also hoping that once I've begun building my town I can add a small elevated railway. This project should keep me busy for a few years...

Edited by kyphur

I'm also hoping that once I've begun building my town I can add a small elevated railway. This project should keep me busy for a few years...

And you could add a mountain with a tunnel and a funicular, and a subway underneath, and... ... ... keep you busy another year or two. :wink: Kinda the goal of such large ambitious projects, I guess – in addition to having a large layout, of course. Looking forward to seeing it getting filled. An area equivalent to 315 baseplates (if I calculated correctly) is quite a lot...

Similar with my plans (starting some time next year when my new apartment's done), but I'll build mine in my 6m x 4m basement room along 3 walls with a bigger part extending into the center, somewhat ŋ-shaped – makes the most space usable and reachable. (Yeah, being 6ft 3in too helps. :grin: ) Seems to be different in your room, though, with other stuff around the tables instead of only walls, from what I can see. And more space anyway.

(With so many layouts and plans showing up recently, I guess I should show my plans soon, too...)

I wasn't trying to criticise, just adding ideas. It's good to hear that you thought it over ;)

- Sok.

Edited by Sokratesz

I wasn't trying to criticise, just adding ideas. It's good to hear that you thought it over ;)

Don't worry, I didn't take it as such, just figured I'd share how I came to the decision to lay it out as I did. Your ideas/thoughts were spot-on in fact and I believe that putting them out there can be very helpful to others who are in the planing stages as it's easy to get lost int he big picture and miss important details like accessibility.

Looks like you have a great space to work with. Do you have many building to fill the void? How many trains do you plan on running at the same time on the layout?

Looks like you have a great space to work with. Do you have many building to fill the void? How many trains do you plan on running at the same time on the layout?

I don't have anywhere near the structures to fill the space but then that's the fun of it, right?

How many trains? How about all of them? Seriously...

The Town will have up to 3 lines running: Inter-City Commuter Line, Local Elevated Line, Freight Line.

Then there will be the Cross-Country Line (Perimeter Line) so that's up to 4 regular lines running.

In the Yard trains will move as needed to handle cargo and equipment transfers.

Wow Im so jealous!! I wish I had that sort of space to set my legos up. That layout is gonna be awesome. Keep us updated! :thumbup:

Like so many others have said: I do envy you all that space. Lack of space is the number one issue for my Lego collection right now - it's squeezing me out of my apartment :)

Regarding all of the space, I negotiated to get exclusive rights to the basement and it was worth it. None of the rooms upstairs would have fit the table arrangement I've decided on.

Here is the asymmetrical table arrangement:

6303814975_10052b3efa_z.jpg

It will be angled in the space.

Here is the final (I think) Perimeter Track Loop:

6304357862_1522564fdd_z.jpg

The left side will contain the Town and the right side will contain the Train/Freight Yard.

I have a feeling I'll use most of my 7 Double Crossovers as access points to the Perimeter Loop.

14 Table Layout Set of Flickr

I already have 11 of the tables, should be picking up the final 3 within a few weeks so now is the time to get the space cleaned up and move the stuff that is around the walls.

Kyphur, i love these ambitious plans!! I never made a layout this way... i always just started and after that i started expanding... Sometimes you have to rebuild something completely, but that is no big deal..it makes fun to build so...

But i hope we get updates every few weeks from you, so we can see your layout growing!!!

I hope your layout will not look as busy as mine.... but it looks like you have somewhat more space... My layout is 8 square meters...

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Kyphur -

Your plans look great! I absolutely love what you are doing. I cannot wait to see updates to this as I am a huge train/city fan. I'm following the RSS feed you have for your flickr set :)

Kyle

I purchased the final 3 tables today on my lunch break!

First project when I got home was to make sure they fit in the space...

THEY DO!!!

6307623132_a195c42f44_z.jpg

Now I'm trying to see if I might be able to squeeze a 15th table into the space!

Very nice space. :thumbup: Like everyone else who posted, I wish I had all that space to make a large layout. Looking forward to seeing updates as your layout develops.

Well I've been able to get 15 tables to fit in the space so I'll be buying #15 tonight!

Here's a graphic showing how it fits in my basement:

6310326770_635361ee82_z.jpg

I've also started planning track using BlueBrick. Here is the beginning of my Switching Yard:

6310286572_a83d6df785_z.jpg

Note the Grey 48x48 Baseplate is my motorized Turn Table.

And here is the beginning of my Switching Yard in real track!

6310521701_ac5ef7b710_z.jpg

C & C Welcome...

Edited by kyphur

Wow that is BIG! I'm looking forward to see it's continual progression. Are the tables standing alone or are they connected together in some way? Keep up the updates! default_classic.gif

I too am very interested to see how this progresses. One question though,why did you chose to locate your turntable so far from the switching yard? I would've though it better to locate it closer to the entrance to the yard to enable easy access to your rolling stock.

I too am very interested to see how this progresses. One question though,why did you chose to locate your turntable so far from the switching yard? I would've though it better to locate it closer to the entrance to the yard to enable easy access to your rolling stock.

Since the turntable is only large enough for a Locomotive to be switched between tracks unless it's in the center position I'm planning to us it to direct the Locomotives to my Engine Shed (2 Left Tracks), an Engine Storage Yard (2 Right Tracks) and a small Freight Transfer Yard with Cargo Cranes (Center Track).

I might move the Turntable to the other end of the tables so that I can put it behind a Wye which would allow access to the Switching Yard without accessing the Main line. I think that would require using a Double Crossover instead of a switch at the entrance from the main line.

EDIT:

Here's the Wye (or at least my first attempt at it):

6311482054_f12176efba_z.jpg

Edited by kyphur

That layout is going to be huge, i thought my dads ho scale track was big but wow. Can i just ask what you think of the motorized turn table? Thinking of getting one, but wondering what others think it first. Keep up the good work.

Can i just ask what you think of the motorized turn table? Thinking of getting one, but wondering what others think it first.

I like it but had to make a couple of small adjustments on the drive gear to get it working smoother. I also bought an XL Grey baseplate to mount it on instead of using all of the small baseplates it came with. I actually have like 3 more of the motor it needs but don't know what to do with them!

I'm thinking of modifying it to handle larger engines like the Maersk. Don't really care for the Emerald Night so not worried about it fitting (besides as a steam engine it would need it's tender also).

So in short I don't regret the purchase but see where it can be improved.

I really like the EOL Buffer I got at the same time and have made 10 more. I plan to use them at every EOL on my layout so I'll probably need to build several more. They work real good mounted on ME-Models 1/2 length Track pieces!