1. 1. History Super Guilds

• Yes, I like the rough collection of like themes
    • No, keep it to many individual guilds
  2. 2. Frequency of builds

• One guild at a time
    • Multiple guilds and free to build in all

LEGO Microscale map voted in!

Guilds poll open.

Hello fellow Historical fans on Eurobricks, recently we have seen some amazing community minded efforts from maydayartist and Derfel Cadarn, not to mention our very own moderator Rufus that have helped to reinvigorate the Historic Themes Forum. I have enjoyed all the hard work and creativity that these fine members have put in and am now looking at commencing a project in the not to distant future in association with the new Historical Themes Regulator. What it will be is a secret for now, however I am looking for more members to have a positive influence on this great place to hang out!

Tell us how you plan on shaking things up on Eurobricks, historically speaking.

New ideas for unseen MOCs, a 'how to' guide for another aspect of building, or something completely different!

Tell us all about it here, and I may start handing out a few special Tags for our members.

Like any of these?

viking.gifdragon.giffalcon.gifbat.giflion1.giflion2.gifwolf.gifcrownie.gifforestmen.gifskellie.gifLionShield.pngCrownTag.png

Cheers

ISC.

PS: and yes there may be a competition coming down the track for Castle fans as well :cry_happy:

I am not sure how worthy my plans are, but since you asked what is to come, I might as well tell.

As I have mentioned in a few threads, I am focussing on making an wood elven faction. I wanted to release that weeks ago but the minifig customization contest made me delay this as I want to partipate. I have seen elves in many mocs and customs, but I have not seen someone making them into a full-blown faction. Elves are something that many AFOLs love, as the interest in Kingdoms Joust's Princess has shown.

A first step is to focus on figs and smaller MOCs. That's what I've been doing the last months. 4 different kinds of regiments, 3 special characters, 3 magical creatures and 2 mythical creatures and a long list of ideas I have so far, many customized, some not. Future plans involve many more types of all these, also war machinery.

As as next step, these will need homes, trees, homes in trees, bridges, dioramas.

After that, they will go to war against my already outnumbered crownies.

Parts of that will happen in the history forum, some of it might belong in the customization forum. At first I thought I might make a blog for this, but Eurobricks gives me all the infrastructure I need. I hope not only to show some of my works, but also bring elves back into discussion and hopefully bundle some of the ideas that float around. If a Lord of the Rings Theme is introduced next year, which we all hope, my army will join whatever comes the way...

I am quite new on this forum, so not many MOCs I made are known. One fig I will send to the joust contest this week, which might give a first impression of my plan.

Edit: Apparantly, the question was not aiming at our personal plans, but more on a conceptual level. Anyway, I'll leave this here.

Edited by Wardancer

I think this sub forum has been functioning really well recently, especially the two guides which have sprung up, very interesting to see in detail how people approach building. As future ideas I would like to see a "Community Build" potentially based on a village? Similar to the 'Pirate Port Village' - as I think constricting it to a castle or walled town kind of limits the idea.

This might not be feasible but 'reverse engineering challenges' (not a contest - just for fun), could be interesting just to play around and puzzle out new techniques. Could be difficult to get people to offer up the challenge though?

Just something that popped into my head; An detailed index of all of the LEGO factions to the present day? There's a short index over at Classic-Castle that pretty much covered most in a not so detailed manner. However, the index here could include all of the factions, all of the minifiguresm and what sets came with them.

Does that sound like a good idea to anybody else besides me? this is one of my "early morning" ideas. :laugh:

I'm liking the idea of a community castle build, but this time let's make it themed. We could have some people building black falcons, some building forestmen mocs, etc. Could be interesting. Put me down for some more individual guides on specific structures. If there's any particular thing people want help with and want to see, let me know and I will do a write up and show ways to do it. I can also do a reference page with lots of examples of historical stuff and the best inspirational pictures. Whatever you think?

Just something that popped into my head; An detailed index of all of the LEGO factions to the present day? There's a short index over at Classic-Castle that pretty much covered most in a not so detailed manner. However, the index here could include all of the factions, all of the minifiguresm and what sets came with them.

Does that sound like a good idea to anybody else besides me? this is one of my "early morning" ideas. :laugh:

Sounds good, how about combining this with a big map where all factions and mocs can be situated. Like on of these LOTR-Maps or in Warhammer Campaigns. One could could go "Oh, today, let's see what happened at the border between Crownies and and Orks in the last 2 years." And then you all mocs that users have situated there would be marked by little X-ses. It an area of the map was underpopulated, contests could work towards vignettes or scenarios in that area. Someone would have to program this though.

I like the idea of a historical themed world map, great idea. If anyone has an idea on illustrating this or wants to run with it, I think we need to get a index of all factions and work from there.

Great stuff already guys, and maybe a return to a Community Castle build is well overdue. The faction themed idea is fantastic.

I'm liking the idea of a community castle build, but this time let's make it themed. We could have some people building black falcons, some building forestmen mocs, etc.

Yes! This could motivate me to build something Orcish again! But fraction index sounds great too!

My Idea: If every castle fraction lives in one world, how would they co-egsist? (live together). Sadly I think my english is too poor to write this up, but I would love to see some mocs including all castle fractions!

No orc shield in tags? :cry3:

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I would like that someone develop a historic background for the existing Lego factions, as I have seen many EB members has their own, and even brickipedia give us some hints, but I find it lacking more details, I know everyone could have different ideas but will really like an official history for our guys. With caracthers, maps, locations, extent of forces, alliances, special events that mark the castle world, etc. :classic:

Well, if you like my Drow cities and could use some fantasy, I'm in ;)

I tried once to animate users to suggest what I will make next, but it did not spread. I've tried the same with custom minifigs (choose your avatar in next Drow city:), but it also did not attract so much attention.

Anyhow, I am thinking how many builders can be attract and combined in one effort of building, but I must say that I am completely overwhelmed:) I would love to hear your ideas, and to contribute ;)

And I would love to see some dark fantasy tag in a triangle shield. Or, a spider :)

Oh yes, you could do this for me: put this in a triangle shield - a perfect dark fantasy tag, and totally Drow in nature :)

bb190pb02.jpg

Enough with the good guys, lets "bad-up" all the goody goodies from the castle themes - take a well known character, from lego castle theme (or other that we are using while making castles), and "be-evil them", show how would they look if they "joined the dark side" :) Change it, but make it recognizable

Here's example: a mermaid:

tmaxbattle-mermaid.jpgtbattle-sirine-1big.jpg

Being a great fan of both the History and the Pirate Forum I think it would be really cool to also subdivede the forum into a normal discussion board and a subtopic for the mocs. There are always so many new mocs around here that it is really hard to follow them all in this just one board.

A community build with national teams, something like a moc world cup, is something that I would totally love to participate in ...

Well, it seems like the world map idea is good, and a themed community build would definitely be great fun. So it makes sense to combine the two. It would allow everyone to join in and build in their favorite faction, creating a world with all the different factions and all the mocs/submissions placed on a world map. This would also mean we would be able build on this in future events, like maybe organize a 'Falcon's vs Crownies tournament or forestmen vs Green dragons etc. Lots of possibilities are on offer with this idea. I do like the idea of a separate page for tutorials, indexes, inspiration threads, general historic discussions etc, with a separate page for just mocs. I have a few more ideas, but I don't like to ask for too much :wink:

I would like that someone develop a historic background for the existing Lego factions, as I have seen many EB members has their own, and even brickipedia give us some hints, but I find it lacking more details, I know everyone could have different ideas but will really like an official history for our guys. With caracthers, maps, locations, extent of forces, alliances, special events that mark the castle world, etc. :classic:

I support the idea of written guides to the different factions and "sub themes" (if I'm using that term correctly) throughout the years. There are a couple of threads like that over in the Pirates area. One is dedicated to sorting out the official published names of various characters (usually from old comic books). And there's another thread/series that went over each "wave" of Pirate sets with an overview of each one and some critiques from an eagle's view. I found these very interesting and that would be a good project for someone willing to do it.

TalonCard's series of guides on Pirates theme factions:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11276

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12294

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15273

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=16092

SirSven7's guide to Pirate set waves:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=54845

Characters proper names thread:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50788&st=0

Stuff like this for Castle would be great. I've never heard any proper names for Castle characters though, so that one may not be possible. That might be unique to Pirates, as far as classic themes go; I'm not sure.

I've been in the hobby for a year now, and I'm not familiar with all the factions. I don't think I was as a kid either. I love reading articles like this; it really gives some perspective to the themes/subthemes. Of all these, I especially like the overview of the set waves, and what each wave brings to the table and what they did wrong or right.

Being a great fan of both the History and the Pirate Forum I think it would be really cool to also subdivede the forum into a normal discussion board and a subtopic for the mocs. There are always so many new mocs around here that it is really hard to follow them all in this just one board.

A community build with national teams, something like a moc world cup, is something that I would totally love to participate in ...

Another great idea that I agree with: a sub forum for MOCs. It's worked well over in the Pirates area too. You know just where to go to view some MOCs. The only argument against would be that probably the majority of posts are MOCs and the rest of the forum would look kind of bare, maybe? Also maybe that it hides away MOCs where people may not notice them. Pros and cons.

I was thinking maybe perhaps some builder guilds for each faction? For example, a guild for Forestmen that contains MOC's related to Forestmen created by the Forestman guild. Of course all the index's for the guild's wouldn't be pinned. But maybe an index of the index's? It might seem confusing now, but I can explain further.

I was thinking another community caste build as well, but perhaps in LDD to save time/trouble.

but perhaps in LDD to save time/trouble.

is that what you got the LDD forum for?

I like the idea of splitting the forum into discussion and MOC sections.

I think that an master index thread like the Pirates one would be very useful as well. Here we could put Derfel Cardarn's Guide, Frogstudio's Black Falcon decals. inspiration/reference pictures, articles, etc. Just one huge resource for all things LEGO castle.

I'm slightly confused as to how indexing MOCs based on location in the LEGO Castle world would work, because the location (or even existence) of factions in everyone's MOC world is entirely different. It's a cool idea though, and visually it'd be amazing.

An detailed index of all of the LEGO factions to the present day? There's a short index over at Classic-Castle that pretty much covered most in a not so detailed manner. However, the index here could include all of the factions, all of the minifiguresm and what sets came with them.

I'll be happy to do this, but it'll be a while until it's done.

Edited by Skipper

Well, it seems like the world map idea is good, and a themed community build would definitely be great fun. So it makes sense to combine the two. It would allow everyone to join in and build in their favorite faction, creating a world with all the different factions and all the mocs/submissions placed on a world map. This would also mean we would be able build on this in future events, like maybe organize a 'Falcon's vs Crownies tournament or forestmen vs Green dragons etc. Lots of possibilities are on offer with this idea. I do like the idea of a separate page for tutorials, indexes, inspiration threads, general historic discussions etc, with a separate page for just mocs. I have a few more ideas, but I don't like to ask for too much :wink:

I like this idea as well, similar to a Pirates vs Ninjas thing but contained into Castle Factions. The world map would have to be regularly updated wouldn't it? Another not-so-good idea of mine is maybe a knockout castle tournament similar to the Moc-Olympics but with more categories and more community-based.

Edited by volcanicpanik

ISC I like the way you think! :laugh:

As this is the major theme I have MOC'ed in so far I feel like I have made and will continue to make contributions to an ever-growing list of both historic and fantasy creations. My field of interest is building new locations, storytelling, minifigure combinations and innovating a whole bunch of techniques I like to call my own.

Of course all of those things are in the past, and I am never devoid of ideas so when it comes to new suggestions for a forum-wide history shaker-upper,I propose the following possibilities for discussion:

1) How about a community build that is faction based but is a bit more involved?

For example, at the very start we decide that there will be several possible factions and each participant declares one to join, and changes their avatar to a minifigure holding up the shield of his/her faction of choice. Depending on turnout, there may be a whole bunch of people who join Dragon Knight for example, or wolf pack, or even fantasy factions like trolls and dwarfs. Once this stage is done, each group gets a medium -sized layout and they decide who can build what (signing up of course), so that there is a city for trolls, dwarfs, Elves Dragon Knights, Wolf pack etc. (Or we could group them into major human faction, evil faction etc.)

Still with me? :sweet:

The major distinction here is that each faction will have a style of buildings that closely resembles the nature of the faction; for example crown knights will have clean-cut castles and Tudor houses, the trolls faction will have rough huts, ruins and large savage camps, and factions like forest men/wolfpack can inhabit run-down towns, and forests. etc. (The design for each faction's buildings will not be 100% binding, but rather just a rough outline of what to aim for, and will be provided prior to the start of the build.)

At the end there will be several unique looking cities instead of one huge one, and it will be interesting to see what kind of power balance we will end up with. :wink:

I will suggest more as we go on ut this seems like enough out of me for about now... :thumbup:

If you are not in a rush I can certainly help with a map.

I would love to take part in a battle scene contest, I have in the past at other sites but they are rarely held it seems and I would like something annual and predictable for dates.

I am only now finding time to dive into my collection after several very busy years and will certainly add what I can in terms of MOCs and general forum support.

A fellow in need is a fellow in deed. Count me in for keeping history booming here at EB.

Suvie, a map would be a great start to this whole shebang, even if we just start with one continent to begin to get us moving. It seems the idea of faction community building is picking up speed too, so please continue to brainstorm guys.

Any one need a poll started about factions to include, or toher ideas, then mention it in here.

Here are a couple of extra tags Rufus has whipped up for us!

LionShield.pngCrownTag.png

Skipper, if you would like to work on the index that would be amazing :wub:

Sirens, your idea about factional avatars is great as well, that would really help group the people together as well.

we can do a commoners' faction. in addition to the Forestmen and other factions. though i think this commoners' faction can be generalized to be able to fit into any other factions.

I really like the idea of new initiatives to empower the History forum. A world map would be awesome, but indicating everyone's MoC on it seems like tedious work to me :hmpf_bad: .

Sirens-of-Titans groupbuild/faction idea sounds great, too. I like the way of working in building teams based on factions :thumbup: .

After as good night's sleep I thought of another idea that rather appeals to me; here it is:

2) The Historic Themes Innovators Guild (Contest)

Premise: "Are you an innovator? Have you seen one too many bley castle walls and wished there was something new and exciting about them? Then this is the contest for you!

Taking the form of a contest with several building categories, the Historic Themes Innovator Guild will be a challenge posed to all Eurobricks members who want to give a creative take on some standardized castle building and historic building techniques by letting them focus on specific parts of a MOC as opposed to building a whole MOC.

Sample categories include:

1) The Strategist's Gate: Build a drawbridge and gate with an original design that is unique in it's form and function.

2) Looking Outward: Build a revolutionary set of windows including one stained glass, one from a cottage and one that might belong to a mighty fortress.

3) Nature Builder's dream: Build a unique river design, unique tree design, and an original rock formation, a waterfall and a plowed field.

4) For the customizer's out there: Build a brand new faction; make a brand new coat of arms and proudly display it on a shield and make a sample of soldier/noble/knight figures, not limiting yourself to purely human factions.

5) The Grey Wall Syndrome Cure: Show us how you would innovate and build a large scale castle wall that doesn't rely on 5000+ bley bricks.

etc.

Each category gets its own entry thread and people post until a deadline after which a public vote is done on the criteria of 1) Innovation 2) Aesthetics 3)Presentation

People can enter 1 or multiple categories and the prize for winning in each is a small gift card to the Lego Shop and a special tag along the lines of (Historic Innovator Guild) :wink:

To seal the deal, I will offer to pitch in for the prizes! :thumbup:

I like your idea Sirens of Titans, only adjustment I would do us to change the faction category to purist category. Now if we can get the Historic Moderator to read this....