Sign in to follow this  
def

Post your own art

I'm not sure I've ever commented in here before but I have to say I do check in often and keep up with the new work as it appears and I'm quite impressed by the depth of talent exposed by this topic. It's just amazing to me and I want to thank all of you for sharing it with us and for adding a little more art to a world that desperately needs it.

:wub:

Really like your comics "def". Simple but still great stories. It makes me inspired to make comics myself. :classic: Are they real life experiences?

Really like your comics "def". Simple but still great stories. It makes me inspired to make comics myself. :classic: Are they real life experiences?

Thanks! It is real. I've written lots in the past, but get pretty bad writer's block, so I decided to start a comic diary. No idea how long I can keep it up, but it's good practice. I feel the art has improved already from when I started two months back. :classic:

Thanks! It is real. I've written lots in the past, but get pretty bad writer's block, so I decided to start a comic diary. No idea how long I can keep it up, but it's good practice. I feel the art has improved already from when I started two months back. :classic:

I see. Sounds like a good way to get started. I really want to start on a comic, but I find it difficult to get started. And I don't have any ideas to stories to draw, so maybe that is part of the problem :sceptic:

I see. Sounds like a good way to get started. I really want to start on a comic, but I find it difficult to get started. And I don't have any ideas to stories to draw, so maybe that is part of the problem :sceptic:

Comics are like any art, and regularly making them is the best way to get good. I often go months without doing any, and the design and the flow suffers for it.

Diary strips might not do it for you, but there's lots of ways to approach it. Last year, I did a few stories based on fairy tales set in the modern world, and did a few cultural/information things (posted at the start of this thread, I think). Even if you feel a story is tired, it might seem very new to people outside your social/cultural group.

My challenge at the moment is to use (almost) no computers on my work, to build up my technical skills again, which have gotten worse. And writing too. Always writing...

Comics are like any art, and regularly making them is the best way to get good. I often go months without doing any, and the design and the flow suffers for it.

Diary strips might not do it for you, but there's lots of ways to approach it. Last year, I did a few stories based on fairy tales set in the modern world, and did a few cultural/information things (posted at the start of this thread, I think). Even if you feel a story is tired, it might seem very new to people outside your social/cultural group.

My challenge at the moment is to use (almost) no computers on my work, to build up my technical skills again, which have gotten worse. And writing too. Always writing...

Very wise words! I've often wanted to dabble in a comic of sorts, but I always seem to get a block when it comes to playing out ideas so I end up not really going anywhere. ><

I'm close to an all time low at the moment with my motivation and having a massive brain freeze which is why I did this little superhero a day challenge thing for myself. And like you, my technical skills have suffered a bit of late and I'm even scared of trying to paint things which isn't good :hmpf_bad: So I need to try and work on that.

Anywho, there's some pretty nice stuff there Angrychair. I really like the composition and lighting in a few of those, creates a really nice atmosphere!

More drawing. Trying to be both realistic and stylized at the same time. Of all the women I've drawn in a month, this one came out the best.

waiting_by_naha_def-d5kiqy0.jpg

The days go on, my face gets shaggier...

diary_11_7_2012_by_naha_def-d5kcwgs.jpg

diary_11_09_2012_by_naha_def-d5kic8x.jpg

diary_11_13_2012_by_naha_def-d5kxnfl.jpg

diary_11_15_2012_by_naha_def-d5l80zv.jpg

Note the LEGO in that last one. I think I may have a few more LEGO ones in the pipeline.

More diary strips in the last few weeks, but I see no need to spam this thread.

Rather I post this:

stroll_by_naha_def-d5n7ohf.jpg

Where I live is full into winter, but it hasn't stopped the girls from looking fashionable. I marvel at it.

I've been working on a multi-page piece as well, hoping to have it ready this weekend. Fingers crossed!

All great as usual def. Love the lady in the snow, she really reminds me of Japan

:classic:

Here's a few more strips, for the first half of the month. Enjoy!

diary_11_28_12_by_naha_def-d5mlrr2.jpg

diary_12_03_2012_by_naha_def-d5n3tul.jpg

diary_12_07_2012_by_naha_def-d5ndkvc.jpg

diary_12_10_2012_by_naha_def-d5np244.jpg

diary_12_12_12_by_naha_def-d5nzabb.jpg

And one other thing, something I did for the kids at school. I couldn't tell if they liked it. I need to color this, but it deserves something peppy, and not melancholy.

yeti_by_naha_def-d5nsjv2.jpg

Wow, def, that's a great drawing there at the end. I like the Spider-man drawing though. Reading through this thread has inspired me.

Wow, def, that's a great drawing there at the end. I like the Spider-man drawing though. Reading through this thread has inspired me.

Thanks :sweet: Spider-Man is actually pretty easy to draw. I've been doodling him a bit recently.

I sliced off the tip of my thumb with a cheese grater this week, so this will be my last strip of the year, possibly. It's been a terrible week, except that I got an industrial size scanner, and was invited to participate in an art exhibit next year. So, motivation is high.

This is one of my favourites, so that is a good thing:

diary_12_17_2012_by_naha_def-d5ogg5k.jpg

Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself, def. I'm no expert on drawing or anything, but I didn't realize how much of an effect that could have. Congrats on the invite, anyway.

And, love the newest strip. I would agree, one of the best, and very funny. :laugh:

Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself, def. I'm no expert on drawing or anything, but I didn't realize how much of an effect that could have.

Thanks :sweet: It could have been worse. The tip was still slightly attached, so it's now tightly wrapped in place and should be good in a week or so, though I have to go back to the hospital tomorrow to get it checked (yes, for Christmas) . The thing is, I can't put pressure on it, which affects how I hold a brush. I just can't firmly do anything with it, including put my boots on or use a smartphone. All the same, it gives me something to write about later :laugh:

Hahaha! Def, your art is awesome, and your comics are so good! I really like their feel. :wub:

~Insectoid Aristocrat

Thanks, it's great to hear. I've really been enjoying making these. I suck at long form, but short strips are more manageable.

The thumb isn't healed, and I can't hold a brush properly, but I've tried to get at back at it, and I like the pages I've done. The great thing about introspection, it once you cover the surface, you have to start digging to keep it interesting. I also think I'm trimming the fat more and more, to get it where I want it to be. The less words, the better.

diary_12_18_12_by_naha_def-d5pb3oi.jpg

diary_12_27_2012_by_naha_def-d5peilx.jpg

A number of ponies in this latest batch:

happy_holidays_from_doctor_whooves_and_derpy__by_skybard-d5o4b4m.jpg

A Christmas card for my uncle, who's not a brony but is a Whovian and a major comic book collector. My twin brother and I got him My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic issue #1 with the variant cover by Jill Thompson, an artist he really likes for her work on various other series. Since the gift was pony-related and I wanted to work in Doctor Whooves somewhere, I was struck with the idea of parodying the poster for this year's Doctor Who Holiday Special. Sketchy, but it was fun working with colored pencil.

opal_koboi_by_skybard-d5o4f1a.jpg

Opal Koboi from the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer. I drew this last summer shortly after reading Artemis Fowl: The Last Guardian, the final book in the series. Her hands don't look quite right and I may have turned up the sex appeal a tad too high for the impression I was trying to give. But I was able to give her a heart-shaped curl in her bangs, something I have been hoping to work into a drawing for a while and which really suits Opal's vanity.

reunion_atg___welcoming_cousin_spitfire_by_skybard-d5pe5bg.jpg

My submission for this week's Artist Training Grounds on Equestria Daily. This is my first time participating in an Artist Training Grounds, and for a one-day doodle mostly done while on the road I think I did fairly well (besides some perspective errors and Nya's mane looking awfully helmet-like). I first drew Ninjago characters as ponies over a year ago, and the idea of using Spitfire in a Ninjago/pony crossover has been with me since I learned that she and Nya share a voice actress. Her cutie mark is even a stylized phoenix, not unlike Nya's emblem!

Next year I really ought to post a lot of the work I've done in my Drawing and Design classes at college this past semester. I'm quite proud of some of them but haven't yet posted any of them online, and they're currently in storage in Boston.