Derfel Cadarn

Lady Guinevere

thindexedgif.gif 110C

Hello there!

Well, I've been really busy building different things the last month, plus I've also started a guide over at the History forum. Due to this and the fact that I am already well under way on my third ship, I kind of pushed this one aside and she became a bit forgotten. She was starting to gather dust, so I figured it was about time I took some photos and posted her before she gets covered by it(although dust on a ship gives a neat effect). She was a very quick build, I needed another ship for my display at STEAM this year and I only had 3 or 4 days to build her. So she was a bit rushed, but luckily I know the design off by heart and could build her pretty quick. This is the last ship of this design, as I am currently working on a newer style sloping stern shape which looks a lot better. 10 of these will make up the bulk of the English fleet, with a flagship that will be 4 masted. Unfortunatly, the final battle display needs some cannon fodder, and this ship will be one of the ones that will be blown apart, which will be fun :jollyroger: Until then, here she is in her prime, and there are also some pictures of her with my other ship.

Enjoy

6272318310_6e52c07c15.jpg

6272315220_52221fb148.jpg

6272311936_8f9a643a06.jpg

6271776701_015f3f7920.jpg

6271771375_57fca9508e.jpg

6272308944_3e086d2f30.jpg

6272253390_4508302ee9.jpg

6272250536_59eba60c15.jpg

6271721737_23b6511db9.jpg

Thanks for reading.

DC

I wonder how many bricks you have, to build 3 ships and a huge diorama all at the same time…

What is even more amazing is that, even if the design of this new ship is mostly the same as in the Princess Ceinwyn, it still looks special and unique… You're indeed a great builder, and I hope to see your sea-battle! pirate_satisfied.gif

:pir-oh3: Holy crap , those are some nice ships. I have nothing to say except great job, and I can't wait to see the rest of the fleet.

And congrats on being fellowed, you deserve it especially with that guide. :thumbup:

Excellent MOC again. Your first galleon was great already but you still keep improving.

I like this colourscheme more than the Princess's.

What you could do, is add bracelines to the foremast yards as well. More so because the main mast also has them:

ladyhj.png

On future ships, a nice touch could be this small beam sticking out on the stern.

Anyway, you did a marvellous job. I like the dark brown line and the bow a lot.

Excellent MOC again. Your first galleon was great already but you still keep improving.

I like this colourscheme more than the Princess's.

What you could do, is add bracelines to the foremast yards as well. More so because the main mast also has them:

ladyhj.png

On future ships, a nice touch could be this small beam sticking out on the stern.

Anyway, you did a marvellous job. I like the dark brown line and the bow a lot.

Thanks Admiral, yes the beam sticking out the stern is a good idea, I forgot all about that. As for the bracelines, I will add the extra ones tomorro. Thanks for the tips :pir-classic:

This is fantastic, I can't imagine what it's like to be able to build like you and then have so many creations that you can forget about some of them.

I'm in love with everything you make, I don't know ships like done, so the details may escape me, but I know a great looking ship and this is one.

Love it! I gotta agree, the color scheme for this one is a lot better. And building this last minute, it came out AMAZING! :pir-sweet:

... and I only had 3 or 4 days to build her. So she was a bit rushed, but luckily I know the design off by heart and could build her pretty quick.

I am amazed that such a build takes you four days without any BL order. Something I can rarely achieve, I always run out of something.

BTW your guide is great!

Jesus christ.... that is so beautiful. Amazing work. O.O

You wanna stifle that? Just a bit inappropriate don't ya think? (not actually a question :pir-angry: )

Derfel, this is a lovely ship. In a lot of ways i actually the like simplicity of this one over the last. It's shame to know her fate ahead of time :) Thanks for sharing.

Another 'Derfel' masterpiece.....this 'Derfel-Style' building is taking off eh ? :pir-grin:

Such a beautiful ship and with excellent detailing too.....what else do we except from the master. :pir-wink:

The stern is too die for - AWESOME ! :pir-grin:

Brick On 'Derfel Cardarn'. :pir-sweet:

Amazing ship (even better than the first one), worthy of our Eurobricks frontpage.

You wanna stifle that? Just a bit inappropriate don't ya think? (not actually a question :pir-angry: )

If you feel something is inappropriate, please use the report button so a moderator can look into it. We don't want members to mini-mod and tell other members what's inappropriate and what's not. Thanks!

I like all your creative works!And now I would ask you question:Where you take time to build this ships,houses and many beatiful things??You is great builder and each of your building is Amazing!!!!! :pir-oh3: :pir-oh3: Thank you very much!!! :pir_laugh2:

I love the detailing work on the stern. The ships remind me a lot of Captain Green Hair and Bonaparte's MOC that can be found here

I do like this second ship a little more than the first, but they are both excellent.

Look for this ship to be blogged soon.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Excellent job! This ship is indeed even more beautiful than your last one. I especially like the colour scheme and the back side of the ship. Well done!

Delicious, I love the comparison shot with her sister, to war ! :pir-classic:

By the way, a frontal shot would be nice.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Thank you all for your comments!

I am amazed that such a build takes you four days without any BL order. Something I can rarely achieve, I always run out of something.

BTW your guide is great!

The whole ship is just one big bricklink order, as I don't like to build them out of my main collection as I plan to never take them apart. I planned this out before I started building and ordered every part for the ship 2 weeks prior to building. This one was a bit cheaper to build then the last one as its mainly all reddish brown, the only pricey parts were the pearl gold parts and the dark brown tiles I use for decking. Its the same with every ship I build, I will always buy the whole ship off bricklink.

Amazing ship (even better than the first one), worthy of our Eurobricks frontpage.

If you feel something is inappropriate, please use the report button so a moderator can look into it. We don't want members to mini-mod and tell other members what's inappropriate and what's not. Thanks!

Thanks for the frontpage, glad you like it. I've actually grown quite fond of this one and prefer it myself now.

I love the detailing work on the stern. The ships remind me a lot of Captain Green Hair and Bonaparte's MOC that can be found here

I do like this second ship a little more than the first, but they are both excellent.

Look for this ship to be blogged soon.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Thanks Z, and for the blog. Yes its the same type of ship as CGH & Boney's one, I have always loved Galleons more than any other type of ship. Plus we don't see many here at EB.

Delicious, I love the comparison shot with her sister, to war ! :pir-classic:

By the way, a frontal shot would be nice.

Thanks, I always forget the frontal shot, must remember to take some pics.

Thanks again!

DC

While I don't like so much that you simply copied the design of your first Galleon, I must say I am still amazed by the galleon design you created and the colourscheme on your second ship is quite different from the first. So far these are the most beautiful and accurate Lego galleons on prefabs I have seen :pir-wub: and I am still a little unsure how you turned from a landscaper into such a good shipbuilder so fast!

What I really like is that you kept the hull in old brown, also the jumperplates. That keeps her lines very clean and so far I haven't seen anyone else (except me) doing this. The lanterns are also looking really nice and quite a creative design. You have also made very good use of the limited choice of pearl gold for the ornaments. :thumbup:

However I do have a few minor points of critic here: I think the lines on the sails are too few and too bright, (the sails could be darker generally), the ratlines are too thin and the use of prefab masts is always a "no" for me since they are neither stable nor good looking :pir-tongue:

Maybe it's personal taste, but I am also not so fond of the red and blue checker pattern on reddish brown.

I only had 3 or 4 days to build her. So she was a bit rushed, but luckily I know the design off by heart and could build her pretty quick.

How in the world do you manage to pump out so many MOCs in such little time? I mean it's already extremely impressive with your landscaping, but in general shipbuilding should take more time. I'm currently finishing Guerrière and just making the sails took me almost a week (well, there's 31 of them :pir-blush: ).

I would really appreciate if you could share your secret about building at this pace without compromising your build quality. :pir-sweet:

This is the last ship of this design, as I am currently working on a newer style sloping stern shape which looks a lot better.

Actually I think this stern design is already really nicely done, or do you mean that you'll move away from the old style prefabs? I have a book "Spanish Galleon 1530-1690" and the ship on the cover (the Nuestra Senora de Atocha) reminds me extremely much of your ships, especially the stern. It was build in 1622 though.

Anyway I'm always glad to see some variation in design solutions, so I'm looking forward to your new stern.

It's always a pleasure seeing a MOC from you, thanks for sharing! :pir-sweet:

Thank you Perfectionist, I'm glad you like them both.

[quote name=Perfectionist' date='28 October 2011 - 08:38 PM'

timestamp='1319830709' post='1105784]

While I don't like so much that you simply copied the design of your first Galleon, I must say I am still amazed by the galleon design you created and the colourscheme on your second ship is quite different from the first. So far these are the most beautiful and accurate Lego galleons on prefabs I have seen :pir-wub: and I am still a little unsure how you turned from a landscaper into such a good shipbuilder so fast!

What I really like is that you kept the hull in old brown, also the jumperplates. That keeps her lines very clean and so far I haven't seen anyone else (except me) doing this. The lanterns are also looking really nice and quite a creative design. You have also made very good use of the limited choice of pearl gold for the ornaments. :thumbup:

However I do have a few minor points of critic here: I think the lines on the sails are too few and too bright, (the sails could be darker generally), the ratlines are too thin and the use of prefab masts is always a "no" for me since they are neither stable nor good looking :pir-tongue:

Maybe it's personal taste, but I am also not so fond of the red and blue checker pattern on reddish brown.

How in the world do you manage to pump out so many MOCs in such little time? I mean it's already extremely impressive with your landscaping, but in general shipbuilding should take more time. I'm currently finishing Guerrière and just making the sails took me almost a week (well, there's 31 of them :pir-blush: ).

I would really appreciate if you could share your secret about building at this pace without compromising your build quality. :pir-sweet:

Actually I think this stern design is already really nicely done, or do you mean that you'll move away from the old style prefabs? I have a book "Spanish Galleon 1530-1690" and the ship on the cover (the Nuestra Senora de Atocha) reminds me extremely much of your ships, especially the stern. It was build in 1622 though.

Anyway I'm always glad to see some variation in design solutions, so I'm looking forward to your new stern.

It's always a pleasure seeing a MOC from you, thanks for sharing! :pir-sweet:

Well, the idea was is to have 10 English ships against 10 Spanish. Obviously to do this takes a lot of parts and costs a lot, so I needed to design a ship that looked good, but not over the top on expensive details. This is the reason I went for prefab hulls and masts, as they are the cheapest way, even though they don't look as nice. This was also the reason I copied the same design as the first ship, as I planned to have 5 designs with 2 of each design and each one in different colour schemes. Its a case of trying out different colour schemes, some work, some might not, I agree the blue and red clashes a bit with the brown, but it serves as another colour scheme(don't forget I have to have 10 different ships, so some designs will look better than others As for new stern designs, I plan to build them all on prefab hulls, but ships 3 and 4 will have a stern that slopes inwards a lot more at the top, probably to 8 or maybe just 6 studs wide at the top. Again, this will give another variation amongst the fleet. Then I plan to not use the stern piece and instead build up from a hull piece to create another different variation for ships 5 and 6. I will have 2 flagships which will each be larger and have four masts.

Its true, I have always been a landscaper and buildings guy, but I've always been quite lucky in that I have never had a problem when it comes to expressing what I want to do with Lego bricks, plus there are a lot of great ships and helpful tutorials here by members such as yourself, which I used to get an idea of how Lego ships are built. I basically looked at CGH's tutorial and changed it to fit the style of ship I wanted to build. I also used a lot of pictures of the Golden Hinde and other English Galleons, which I used to help get the shape as best as I could.

As far as getting models built quickly, I've always been like that. I will be building one part and while i'm building that part I will be thinking 2 steps ahead and working out how to do the next bit before I get to it. So I just kind of keep going and things fall into place along the way. It helps that I set up a great storage system that suits my way of building and allows me to find what I need as quick as possible, a good music playlist in the background helps too! Once I have an idea I just run with it, the first ship took a bit longer, but once it came to the second one, I knew what I was doing and pretty much got the bulk of it done in a weekend.

Thanks for your comment, I look forward to seeing your next ship!