Sign in to follow this  
El Bucanero

Painting the hull pieces...

Painted hull pieces  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like it?

• yes!
    • no!

As most of you know by now, TLC didn't gave us a wide choice of colours for hull pieces, so maybe painting is a solution, some examples:

This

And this

I am a big fan of this man's MOCs and his paint job looks very good, How do you feel about painting big pieces like these? I personally think it is okay to do, the only problem to me is that this could stay forever. If you vote, please say why you voted this.

Arr

Mr Tiber

Egad! Its the large pictures again only this time I'm using a computer with a 33K modem. Its going to take all night to download these images!

that is strange, they don't look big on my screen. I noticed that they were big when i tried to post them in this thread, and what does egad means??

I think "egad" derived from "Oh my God", as some folks are religuous the latter is too blasphemous to be uttered by them. Well that's my theory anyway.

that is strange, they don't look big on my screen. I noticed that they were big when i tried to post them in this thread.

When you viewed them on your screen was the image at 100% scale? Sometimes programs (like Windows Picture and Fax Viewer) automatically scales the image so it fix within the screen without telling you. However if you click the 4th button from the left the true size of the picture will be revealed.

Ah I remember seeing at the models and collectibles fair in Melbourne once a few lego ships that had been very painstakingly painted.

Excellent peices of work.

I would think that this is not such a bad idea for permanent display ships.

But Mr Phes, what I would like to know is: can you see the pics or not?? and what do you think about painting hull pieces??

I can see them however the gamma on this monitor is very low so the images look too dark. I'll have to wait till I get home to give a proper assessment.

It looks fine to me but I can't really see what I'm looking at. Aside from the monitor I'm also rather hungover and experiencing gastric turmoil.

Painting is OK, but it requires additional skills that not every MOCer posseses. I don't think I'd try that - the results might be rahter pathetic... But for those who have the right skills it's a great way to customize their vessels to a completely new degree.

Mr Tiber, I am now how and using a computer with a bigger and better monitor, not to mention a much faster Internet connection.

I'd say these pieces look alright but its fairly obvious they've been modified. I think this is due to the surface the which is produced, particularly the white as it looks raised. I don't think the white is paint, rather some type of tape which is evident where it overlaps on the stern of ship.

Mr Tiber, do you know anything about the process used to make these colour modifications?

Nah I don't, maybe you are right about the tape, it looks fine to me, I wonder how painting a hull pieces completly black would look like, has anyone did that before? if so please show it to us!

I no expert on paint but I'm thinking the best method would be to use spray paint. If there is anyone that knows anything about painting models or maybe even painting in general then it would be very nice if you could educate us on this matter.

I'm no expert either but spray paint is the best choice, it is easy to find in several stores (is the same paint used for metal). You can chose between glossy and matte paint, usually there are both types. It shouldn't be difficult. First you make a mask with tape of the parts you don't want to paint and then just spray on... two coats will be enough. I only see one problem, if you paint the top part of the hull (the studs), the paint will come off easy with the friction of connecting and disconnecting the pieces.

I'm no expert either but spray paint is the best choice, it is easy to find in several stores (is the same paint used for metal). You can chose between glossy and matte paint, usually there are both types. It shouldn't be difficult. First you make a mask with tape of the parts you don't want to paint and then just spray on... two coats will be enough. I only see one problem, if you paint the top part of the hull (the studs), the paint will come off easy with the friction of connecting and disconnecting the pieces.

This is a good point Mr Rupi, but UltraLux's comment solves that problem:

Of course that means you don't get pieces back and you'd want to build the ship right the first time to minimize knocking the paint off.

This is a good point Mr Rupi, but UltraLux's comment solves that problem:

Of course that means you don't get pieces back and you'd want to build the ship right the first time to minimize knocking the paint off.

sorry...I didn't paid attention to that.

If that's the case painting will have no problem at all.

My post wasn't a definite solution, rather a possibility, well a reference to a possibility since I didn't actually come up with it myself.

But for those who want to keep reusing the hull pieces your point is very pertinent! I suppose one option would be to repaint the hull painted pieces missing paint.

I believe there are products to let paint release, painting hull pieces wouldn't be such a problem if you have some of that...

Well, I think it is OK to paint lego.

I do it myself with my airbrush.

It is important for me that you can't really notice that something has been painted however :-)

So it should be done really well.

All these chrome helmets have been painted because the black ones are much cheaper on BL:

cuirassiers.jpg

Do you have any advice on using an airbrush?

All these chrome helmets have been painted because the black ones are much cheaper on BL:

They look good, but do you have a close up picture of these?

Do you have any advice on using an airbrush?

They look good, but do you have a close up picture of these?

Well, here is a close up of a painted helmet:

helmet.jpg

This is a picture of my airbrush:

airbrush.jpg

I think I could do a good job on the hull of a ship ...

If someone wants to have a white hull, just ship it to me and I will give it a try :-)

That helmet looks just like a real chrome LEGO helmet. Why are you limited to white?

Well Mr. Tiber, I can do any color you would like.

Till now I only did chrome and gold on lego.

I just imagined that a white hull would be more obvious than a chrome one ;-)

Well, it took me some time before I found the right paint to use.

But these paints from Model Master really give an excellent result.

B.

I think those helmets look great.

Can you tell me if the paint wears off easily, or you can handle the pieces just like original lego painted/printed pieces?

I think those helmets look great.

Can you tell me if the paint wears off easily, or you can handle the pieces just like original lego painted/printed pieces?

Well Rupi, the paint doesn't wear off easily, as long as you give it at least 24h to dry before you touch it.

It is important however not to use to much paint!

This "eagle" (in a previous life a parrot) is another example (with gold paint):

eagle.jpg