1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 5 - Outstanding
    • 4 - Very Good
    • 3 - Average
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 1 - Poor

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

6521_1.jpg

Every LEGO 'love story' has a its own unique beginning, and mine started exactly 22 years ago when I received my first ever Lego set during my 7th birthday. This cute little truck opened the wonderful world of LEGO to me, and from then on, I've become a life-long fan until this very day. As a tribute to this little set who holds a special place in my heart, I will be reviewing my first LEGO set as my first ever set review here in Eurobricks.

Name: Emergency Repair Truck

Number: 6521

Theme: Town

Year: 1987

Pieces: 58

Minifigs: 1

Condition Acquired: Used / Incomplete (w/o box)

Price: Current Average Price on Bricklink: New - US $100-110 | Used - US $10-12

Brickset | Bricklink | Peeron

The Box

6521_2_box.jpg

Image courtesy of peeron.

Since the original set I received when I was a kid was gone a long time ago, and the set that I recently acquired is in 'used and incomplete' condition, I have no image of the box except this reference image taken from peeron. The box has the classic yellow color with the LEGOLAND name shown in the upper left corner. The dimensions of the box are 14.2 x 7.1 x 4.8 cm according to Bricklink. The front simply shows the truck and the minifig against a peaceful nature backdrop of blue skies and green mountains.

Instructions

6521_instructions_2.jpg

The instruction sheet cover is quite similar to the front of the box, slightly differing only in the positioning of the minifig and the truck. As expected in small sets, the instructions are all contained on a single sheet, with the steps compactly fitted on the two faces of the sheet. There is also the usual noticeable fold line on the instruction sheet.

Parts

6521_parts.jpg

The set contains a humble 58 pieces, majority of which are the yellow parts for the truck. I really love that classic vehicle chassis piece, even with the upgraded version found on newer CITY vehicles.

6521_5_interesting_pieces.jpg

Interesting pieces to note are the printed 1 x 2 x 2 panels with the Highway Department logo (which are exclusive to this set) and the 1 x 4 tile with the Black Wrench pattern. The torso of the emergency repairman also sport the similar Highway Department logo.

The Build

6521_6_build.jpg

The build of the truck is fairly simple and straightforward. In only 12 steps, you'll be able to easily finish the model in about 5 minutes. It's not the usual practice on reviews to show all the building steps but since it's only a few, I might as well show all of them to see the progress of the build.

The Minifig

6521_7_minifig.jpg

Here we have our ever-reliable emergency repairman donning a blue jacket printed with the aforementioned Highway Department logo, a simple zipper line and handy pocket on the right side. The torso print may be simple but it gets the job done IMO. He also sports light gray pants, red cap, and that classic minifig smile. The back of the torso has no printing.

The Truck

Different Views:

6521_8_various_views.jpg

The truck viewed at different angles, showing the overall pick-up truck design and various minor details. Personally, I love the compact look of the classic Town vehicles like this one, as it adds to the overall 'cute' look. And for a truck of its small size I think it's packed with the right amount of details and functionality.

Playable Features:

6521_9_playability.jpg

The simple but quite useful features of this truck include the opening roof and doors, both of which are distinctly lacking in most modern CITY vehicles. In the back you can find the dual-function tools, the mallet/hammer and the screwdriver/spanner. There is also some storage space at the back to accommodate other items (box sample shown is not included in the set).

Conclusion and Scores

Design: 9/10 The classic, compact 4-stud width with small wheels design is a nostalgic winner for me. The yellow color scheme is consistent with the color choice for repair trucks like the new 3179 version.

Build: 8/10 The build is very simple and easy to finish, nothing really complicated.

Playability: 8/10 For a small set the functional doors and roof are nice playable features.

Parts: 9/10 Most of the parts are relatively common, but it's quite nice to have two 'rare' parts which are exclusive to this set.

Price: 8/10 At the current price for 'Used condition' at approximately US $10, this is a nice set to have especially if you are into classic town sets. But for the New/MISB price, I don't think it's practical to purchase at such a high price, unless you really are a serious set collector.

Final Verdict: 84% / 8.4/10 Classic Town sets have a soft spot in my heart, and if you're like me who's into classic town and you ever get the chance to get this set at a reasonable price, I believe it is worth getting especially if you have your own classic town layout that you are keeping.

Parting Shots:

Our dedicated emergency repairman is always ready to provide his service, no matter how small or large the task in hand maybe.

6521_92_final.jpg

And of course, after a hard day's work, he never forgets to have some leisurely fun with his gal friends who dig his cute yellow truck.

6521_91_final_1.jpg

Thank you for your time reading this review, I hope you enjoyed it!

Edited by Rick
Indexed

Thanks for the review 'KielDaMan', actually I just brought one of these recently at a collectable toy shop for about 8 bucks if memory serves correct.....beaut little classic pick up truck, some tools and a handy mechanic who likes picking up loose women....AWESOME ! :devil:

Brick On Review On 'KielDaMan' ! :classic:

Great review on a great classic 'KielDaMan'. I too had to have one of these but, definitely did not a "NEW" one. This came out the same year I did, so cheaper second hand default_laugh2.gif Is that an 'Artifex' Tumbler, he's is about to repair? Keep up the great reviews default_classic.gif