jamie75

Star Wars LEGO CUUSOO

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Merged all CUUSOO in the Star Wars Forum here.

Show your ideas and CUUSOO projects here please.

Do feel free to still post a MOC in the forum and then add the CUUSOO link.

Do not abuse EB or it's Forums to have people voting for you on CUUSOO.

"Stay On Target!"

The other day I uploaded my UCS AT-AT to the Lego Cuusoo site. Anio did the same with his UCS Sebulba's Podracer. And lastly marshel_banana put his UCS Sandcrawler on there.

After I did it, I posted it in the Lego Cuusoo thread in the Embassy. Anio bumped his thread. And I haven't seen anything about marshel_bananas Sandcrawler on here. So after a quick conversation with KimT. We are making a "Lego Cuusoo index thread". That way, all Lego Star Wars models can be in one place for all to see.

I will post the 3 mentioned, to start. I hope Anio and marshel_banana, don't mind!

If you see something that stands out, as something you would like to see in the future or make something that you post to the site. Be sure to reply to this thread after you do, so we have all the models in one place for Eurobricks to see and add support to. We have alot of members so we should be able to get alot of support for models!

marshel_banana's UCS Sandcrawler

Thanks, Jamie

I have logged in and supported all three becuase I like and would honestly want to buy all three. Kudos to each of the designers, amazing work.

This thread is a nice idea !

On the contrary, I'm not sure that bumping my thread was a good idea.

Well, no matter how great our MOCs are, I'm convinced they will never make it on the Cuusoo. They are too big.

This thread is a nice idea !

On the contrary, I'm not sure that bumping my thread was a good idea.

Well, no matter how great our MOCs are, I'm convinced they will never make it on the Cuusoo. They are too big.

That was the idea. You bumped yours, I posted in the Embassy thread, and nothing on here about the Sandcrwler from marshel_banana. This gives us one place to post them, share thoughts, and gain support.

As for them getting made or not. Time will tell. If one of these hits 10,000 supports, atleast Lego will look the possibility. It is better then nothing! I guess!

Jamie

They are too big.

Bah never too big, they are just right to fit all that wonderfull detail on there :)

Bah never too big, they are just right to fit all that wonderfull detail on there :)

Certainly.

I meant too big for Cuusoo. :wink:

Cuusoo is such a fantastic idea! Big kudos to TLG for getting the fans involved like this in what gets considered as official product.

I cast my support for the UCS Sandrawler. I seriously doubt we will ever see anything that enormous as an official product, but take the basic idea and scale it down a bit, and it's definitely possible.

Hi everyone,

I've decided to remove my UCS Sebulba's podracer from the Cuusoo.

Yes, my model has very few votes. But it's fine. I expected it not to make it at all. No matter how well executed it is, it is way too big to make it. I just put it on the Cuusoo to have a confirmation of what I thought.

Now, I know how Cuusoo works. And I confess that I'm very disappointed (but not surprised at all).

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but 90% of the MOCs presented on the Cuusoo are crap.

The 2 models which already made it (Shinkai #001 and Hayabusa #002) are pretty crappy. How hell is it possible to offer something that ugly to the Lego fans ? :sceptic:

A kid with some skills can do something better.

If you think I'm too severe regarding the quality of the MOCs people present, let me explain.

The models presented on the Cuusoo aim at being real Lego sets.

So, maybe MOCers on the Cuusoo do their best, but it seems it is not enough...

The question people must answer is not :

- Do the MOCer is my friend ?

- Do I like the theme of that MOC ?

No, the question people must answer is : Would this MOC make a nice Lego set ?

In other words, people have to estimate the quality of the MOC (colors, design, build, details, size, feasibility, etc) and to compare this quality to the quality of a real Lego set.

I take 2 examples (I do not know the people who create these MOCs, and in advance, I'm sorry if I hurt them) :

- http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/96

- http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/2270

These projects are pretty well supported. But hell, look how poorly designed it is compared to a Lego set ??!?

What would you say if Lego would design a Delorean like this in an official set ??

People would be outraged if TLG release an official of such a poor quality. :/

My point : Cuusoo was a nice idea. But it seems to be rather something created to promote the brand and not to offer nice fan models to the community.

Eventually, it turns out to be a way for many people to flood with their crap. :/

Indeed, people become crazy when they think that one of their model can become an official set. :hmpf:

In the end, Cuusoo will be nothing more than another Brickshelf, given that :

- projects are not filtered (in order to remove the poor project)

- some people are too proud and are dreaming regarding the quality of their models.

PS : there are many MOCs worse than the 2 MOCs I selected.

Edited by Anio

After having looked through Cuusoo, I can definitely see where you’re coming from, but most of the projects aren’t that bad... perhaps as toys offered to children many would prove lacking, but as MOCs I wouldn’t call them crap. Many of them even look like something The LEGO Group would release. As for the Delorean MOC, I personally feel that it focuses too much on studlessness and SNOT for a LEGO set, but I know there are AFOLs who prefer that look (as blocky as the results can sometimes turn out to be).

Personally, I think the point of LEGO Cuusoo is to present ideas, not MOCs to be released as sets with little or no changes to the model. I'm sure TLG would redesign the model to meet the strength standards they impose on their sets, and if the model was absolutely ugly, I'm sure they'd also take the time to make it look better if they decided to release it as a set.

Whatever is Cuusoo about it is certainly not about a place for kids to come and claim Bionicle back, or for some idiot to present his family as a project....

2 sets came out in the past from this initiative, when it was still under control. They are not impressive but they still gave all people around some idea of what is possible through this concept.

Today, and I agree with Anio on that, it has become a place without any kind of control or quality check. Most of the MOCs there are just ridiculous, and will never be produced for many reasons (licence, size, etc....)

Cuusoo was presented as a serious project and a chance for people to get some cash from their work in case of success. LEGO said that, they talked about the royalty system. They advertised based on this concept.

Cuusoo is not flickr or brickshelf, and when you go there, you just understand there is no chance at all that some day, some guy with some MOC would get a few dollars back.... Cuusoo is not a kid project, concept is clearly oriented towards skilled people who can expect to propose something LEGO could produce and sell.

I was confident in this project when it opened to all world, because I think there are many people around that are capable to compete with the best LEGO designers. But come on, I always read here and there that LEGO is not listening to people, and for once they tried to do it on a proper way and kids burnt everything.

Anyway it is already too late now, Cuusoo has become a place for morons to claim Green Grocer back our Bionicle back, filled with stupid ideas, cheap MOCs and family pictures from idiots. LEGO failed in some extend.

But they at least proved that a lot of LEGO fans are not capable to understand the meaning of such a nice idea.

Personally, I think the point of LEGO Cuusoo is to present ideas, not MOCs to be released as sets with little or no changes to the model. I'm sure TLG would redesign the model to meet the strength standards they impose on their sets, and if the model was absolutely ugly, I'm sure they'd also take the time to make it look better if they decided to release it as a set.

Still, even if it's all about ideas, "Bring back Bionicle" or "Look at my wife" are not ideas. If LEGO was taking this seriously, they would filter, moderate, to protect the serious ideas from idiots.

Press release was clear about the concept :

"Ideas that are supported by 10,000 votes have a chance of being selected to become part of the LEGO Group’s product portfolio and sold in LEGO Brand retail stores and the LEGO online shop. Consumers who have their ideas chosen will earn 1% of the total net sales of the product"

Luckily, LEGO says it's Beta, which allows to withdraw everything without having to admit they failed.

and that is why i removed my At-At, People messaging me saying it is too big so they are not going to vote for it. nice idea but everything i have seen on there is crap, nice as a moc but never a set.

After having looked through Cuusoo, I can definitely see where you’re coming from.

My Eyes, take it away it burns :sick:!!!

I don't for one minuted think that TLG would release anything from Cussoo exactly as it appears on there. I think it is more for ideas.

Personally, I feel you are being too harsh! 10179 was 5000+ pieces, your Padracer is 3450 pieces. It could be produced for $399 US!

The 2 models you selected are not bad.

The creator of the BTTF DeLorean cramed alot of detail in there, opening doors, hoses, SNOT bumper. And he did in a small model. This won't get made because of licencing issues, and cause there is nothing to help promote it, new movie. Not because it is a poor model, or crap.

As for the MLB Stadium idea. That would go great in Architecture theme. But, again, I think licencing my be an issue. This has more of a chance the, DeLorean, IMO. There are some classis fields here in the US, which is where these would be most popular, Tiger Stadium, Fenway, Candlestick Park. This idea would be great for selling them at the stadiums. Go see a Tigers game, leave with the stadium.

Now, I do think there should be some modding there from Lego, to get the crap out. As Mr Man and Fallenangel sited!

But, this is my 2 cents.

Even, if you feel that way, what dies removing your model prove. Post it and let the people decide.

Jamie

I don't for one minuted think that TLG would release anything from Cussoo exactly as it appears on there. I think it is more for ideas.

Ideas ? TLG created Cuusoo for ideas ?

There are already ideas EVERYWHERE on the Internet : Brickshelf, FlickR, Youtube, blogs, LUGs, forums, etc.

Personally, I feel you are being too harsh! 10179 was 5000+ pieces, your Padracer is 3450 pieces. It could be produced for $399 US!

Yes you are right. This is probably the price my podracer would have been sold.

But wait a minute : how many people are willing to spend 400$/€ on a fan made model ?

The creator of the BTTF DeLorean cramed alot of detail in there, opening doors, hoses, SNOT bumper. And he did in a small model. This won't get made because of licencing issues, and cause there is nothing to help promote it, new movie. Not because it is a poor model, or crap.

I do not consider the problem of licence given that I do not know a lot about that kind of things.

But regarding the Lego model itself, this Delorean is pretty unimpressive compared to a real Lego set. Way too blocky.

Oh, and by the way, I discover what MOC means on the Cuusoo : My Own Crap.

Ideas ? TLG created Cuusoo for ideas ?

There are already ideas EVERYWHERE on the Internet : Brickshelf, FlickR, Youtube, blogs, LUGs, forums, etc.

Why search for ideas when ideas can come to them? It makes sense to me.

Oh, and by the way, I discover what MOC means on the Cuusoo : My Own Crap.

Bit harsh. Not everyone is as brilliant as you at MOCing. I thinking calling other people's MOCs 'Crap' is snobby and not in the spirit of Lego.

Definitely some unadulterated snobbiness going on here. :sad:

The models shown on the first page of the topic were excellent but all were aimed at one market, UCS. They would also be subject to small changes by the lego group in my opinion, not necessarily everyones.

The the models that hace already went through the process I believe are extremely market sensitive and have no large presence or interest in the western market. How are they doing in their native market?

The Delorean would make a great creator set or suchlike. Does Cuusoo have to mean $100 plus sets?.

Its clearly been misused or misunderstood by some quarters/factions but people should be ridiculed for not having thousands upon thousands of bricks, sometimes the best sets are the simplest.

Who says that Cuusoo couldnt inspire a promotional polybag or Seasonal shipping vignette?

Still, even if it's all about ideas, "Bring back Bionicle" or "Look at my wife" are not ideas. If LEGO was taking this seriously, they would filter, moderate, to protect the serious ideas from idiots.

Press release was clear about the concept :

"Ideas that are supported by 10,000 votes have a chance of being selected to become part of the LEGO Group’s product portfolio and sold in LEGO Brand retail stores and the LEGO online shop. Consumers who have their ideas chosen will earn 1% of the total net sales of the product"

Luckily, LEGO says it's Beta, which allows to withdraw everything without having to admit they failed.

I think that the 10,000 vote thing is there just to deal with the idiotic ideas. If they don't have 10,000 votes, TLG doesn't even have to look at the idea. Unless one of the really bad ideas is spammed, the bad ideas will never make it to 10,000 votes, and even if they do, it can't be that hard for TLG just to immediately decline the idea.

I thinking calling other people's MOCs 'Crap' is snobby and not in the spirit of Lego.

I'm not snobby. ;-)

I just think that I have a good critical eye regarding my work and other people work.

Let's take another example, with one of my MOCs : the UCS Slave 1.

People may like it. Or not.

But : In what universe this MOC can make a good Lego set ?

Don't you see how blocky it is ?

Edited by Anio

Your Slave 1 is superb, Anio.

Although it may not be 100.00% accurate it’s the best version that I’ve ever seen, and always remember that you’re limited by the variety of elements that are available. If this was released as an official UCS set I’d buy one without hesitation, simple as that.

Your Slave 1 is superb, Anio.

Thanks.

My opinion :

Given the part limitation, the model is pretty good. Indeed, it's hard to reproduce the curves of the Slave 1.

But if I look at the model itself, I do not think it is an outstanding model. And this is precisely why I think TLG can not release a UCS Slave 1 (or at least not with the current parts).

But we are not here to speak about my MOCs (whether they are good or not).

My point is that, yes, people can enjoy their models, they can love them, and even be proud of them, but still, most of the MOCs we see on Cuusoo can not be real sets.

Most of people there have no critical eye on their own work and think they can take advantage of the Cuusoo to make a MOC become a set. They are dreaming.

Edited by Anio

Wether or not a UCS Podracer would make it, is not important in my opinion.

What's important is that this Cuusoo project is being looked at by TLG's own designers.

And if we can inspire them through Cuusoo - then why the heck not?

I doubt they'll put Marshal Banana's UCS Sandcrawler in production - but a trimmed UCS version might be! :wub:

If we (The AFOL community) post great MOCs and use Cuusoo seriously, then hopefully the mediocre and crappy kid MOCs will die out and perish?

Wether or not a UCS Podracer would make it, is not important in my opinion.

What's important is that this Cuusoo project is being looked at by TLG's own designers.

And if we can inspire them through Cuusoo - then why the heck not?

I doubt they'll put Marshal Banana's UCS Sandcrawler in production - but a trimmed UCS version might be! :wub:

If we (The AFOL community) post great MOCs and use Cuusoo seriously, then hopefully the mediocre and crappy kid MOCs will die out and perish?

There you go. Discussion of awful MOCs over people, I'll start a new topic for it. :grin:

I, personally, think that Cuusoo is a good idea. The top MOCs may eventually get to the point of being LEGO sets. Then we would all be happy, especially if it is a great MOC that deserves high recognition. (I'm starting the new topic now. :grin: )

Okay, in the Cuusoo index topic, a lot of people brought this up. Should Cuusoo be filtered so MOCs that are awful and would never become LEGO sets can't get in? Discuss it here. If a MOD wants to add a poll, please do so.