Tearloch

MOD: OTM Tracker

[updated on 21 Nov 2011] To make this thread less confusing, I am updating this item here, instead of at the bottom.

I started with the OTM Tracker from RailBricks #6, and went through several modifications to get where I am at today. I have the truck almost build (thanks Pick A Brick for taking a month, and missing some pieces), and I just finished my redesign on the crane. I may still make some minor mods to the truck bed to handle connecting the 2 components together, but....

I hope you enjoy.

6315852814_971302f533_z.jpg

Final version of truck.

6315337023_c6d7d4a801.jpg

Truck (rear) with hydraulic pistons "down"

6315853114_f53a5b6c77.jpg

Truck with hi-rails "down"

6380200259_60333596e6_z.jpg

OTM Tracker Crane, featuring a sliding cab (allows it to crawl)....it should hook up to a 6 wide gondola car, and will ride on the back of the truck (I hope).

Edited by Tearloch

Since your images are view-able yet I can't see but I'm wondering if you added the missing couplers (front & rear) that the RailBricks model didn't include?

Since your images are view-able yet I can't see but I'm wondering if you added the missing couplers (front & rear) that the RailBricks model didn't include?

Again, sorry the pictures are not available yet. I didn't realize at first that MOC delays your first post. All my other work was never posted b/c I didn't have LDD Extended (or even know about it), so there was always issues with colors and missing bricks. I would have posted them directly here, but I am having issues with that...says I have a 100KB quota that is 80% used up....I guess b/c I am new here as well? Any help on that one?

Thanks for the reminder....no, I did not...in my haste of getting LDD extended, I totally forgot. My knowledge is that it should only have a rear coupler, and that will require some work on the rear hi-rail orientation, but I will work on that and update when done. I wanted to rework the hi-rail system anyway, and still have to deal with the hydrualic support pylons on the rear (since to move the truck then you have to remove them or stick them straight out). I guess I also have to be careful of the height of the coupler (being on the hi-rails so that is matches the standard car height).

More work...my wife will not be pleased :blush:

Edited by Tearloch33

You might want to look into getting a Flickr account. Pics there are immediately available and then you can also embed an image or five in your post here so we don't have to go off-site to get a taste of your project.

Regarding the couplers, in RailBricks the image of the prototype clearly shows a front coupler and the text specifically mentions the rear one.

This thread on another forum has some great reference pics!

This is a vehicle I was considering visiting for a MOC/MOD as I'm working on building my MOW Train.

Current plans are to use my MOD Shortened Loco from 3677 with my MOC Transfer Caboose. I like the truck that comes in 3677 but not the car that carries it, the crane is useless.

Edited by kyphur

You might want to look into getting a Flickr account. Pics there are immediately available and then you can also embed an image or five in your post here so we don't have to go off-site to get a taste of your project.

Regarding the couplers, in RailBricks the image of the prototype clearly shows a front coupler and the text specifically mentions the rear one.

This thread on another forum has some great reference pics!

This is a vehicle I was considering visiting for a MOC/MOD as I'm working on building my MOW Train.

Current plans are to use my MOD Shortened Loco from 3677 with my MOC Transfer Caboose. I like the truck that comes in 3677 but not the car that carries it, the crane is useless.

Thanks, I will give Flickr a try. How can I embedded images directly on here? Using Flickr somehow?

[EDIT] Uploaded the photos to Flickr. It says "You are not aallowed to use that image extension on this board" when I try to insert the image from Flickr. Am I missing something? Anyway, here is the link to the Flickr page with pictures:

OTM Tracker 2

And thanks for the pictures. I don't remember the coupler in the RailBricks photo, but looking back, it is there. It makes sense to have the hi-rail wheels closer to the front of the truck (though challenging design wise). Also, the crane is exactly what I thought...the cab can slide forward and back, not just rotate in the middle, and the "feet" didn't seem right in the RailBricks version....need to add the "feet" on the cab as well. It would be extra fun to make it so the Jimbo crane can actually sit on top of a rail car, like it is designed to do in real life.

Looks like I have some more work on this one...but this will be a fun challenge. Again, thanks for the photos...perhaps I will make the cab white as well.

Edited by Tearloch33

To embed Flickr images here's what I do:

in my Flickr photostream I right click on the image and select "Medium 640". After the image loads in the size I selected I right click and select "Copy Image URL".

Now in my post there are buttons above the text box, one resembles a photo (really looks like an old Polaroid), click on it and paste the URL in there.

Voila! You've embedded a Flickr Image!

I think if you're going to do the OTM Tracker properly then it needs to be able to attach to the top of cars like the prototype.

Taking the approach of the OTM Tracker & the Semi Flatbed being to separate models frees-up some of the restrictions on the semi but means the OTM's Rail frame needs to be built differently so it can attach to the flat bed or a train car the same way.

To embed Flickr images here's what I do:

in my Flickr photostream I right click on the image and select "Medium 640". After the image loads in the size I selected I right click and select "Copy Image URL".

Now in my post there are buttons above the text box, one resembles a photo (really looks like an old Polaroid), click on it and paste the URL in there.

Voila! You've embedded a Flickr Image!

I think if you're going to do the OTM Tracker properly then it needs to be able to attach to the top of cars like the prototype.

Taking the approach of the OTM Tracker & the Semi Flatbed being to separate models frees-up some of the restrictions on the semi but means the OTM's Rail frame needs to be built differently so it can attach to the flat bed or a train car the same way.

Thanks for the feedback. I just started this 2 days ago, and am now really interested in improving on the basic design. The OTMTracker itself (we called them Jimbo cranes at BN back in the day) will be a challenge to make it work right, but will be fun. The truck will be my first task.

[Pictures updated at top of thread...this was version 1...still working on the crane]

6243667269_0abaf1b793.jpg

Hey, it worked!!! Here is the back view:

6244185292_6aa289002c.jpg

Edited by Tearloch33

Nice work, very nice details throughout in the design. :thumbup:

Thanks. The hardest part was making clearance for the hi-rails to tuck up inside when not being used....and I still don't really like how the hydraulic stabilizers turned out....but they do go up and and down, and are a lot more functional than the original RailBricks design...I just wish TLG would make some better hydraulic piston parts...I looked at the old pneumatic parts, but they were too big for what I wanted....

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Could we get the LDD file for the Semi?

This is something I'd love to add to the MOD/MOC MOW Train Set I'm working on.

OK, so I have completed my second redesign on this project, focusing on making the truck as nice as I can. I am still working on the crane, and as waiting on Pick-A-Brick order (taking way too long, BTW) to finish this build, but here is a tickler.

[EDIT: Pictures moved to top]

Edited by Tearloch

I like your redesign (I've built the original myself) - but I think the thread gets more confusing, not less confusing, with you updating the first post instead of making another one at the end. That way, when you get to more than one page, you'll have to start with the first page to see the changes and then go to the last page to find new comments. It won't make things easier. That's my opinion, anyway.

Edit: And the thread just reached two pages...

Edited by L@go

I like your redesign (I've built the original myself) - but I think the thread gets more confusing, not less confusing, with you updating the first post instead of making another one at the end. That way, when you get to more than one page, you'll have to start with the first page to see the changes and then go to the last page to find new comments. It won't make things easier. That's my opinion, anyway.

Edit: And the thread just reached two pages...

I am fairly new here....any suggestions on how to just get this thread deleted and just start a new one?

I am fairly new here....any suggestions on how to just get this thread deleted and just start a new one?

No need to delete the thread, just start adding updated images to the new posts at the end of the thread instead of replacing the images in the first post.

No need to delete the thread, just start adding updated images to the new posts at the end of the thread instead of replacing the images in the first post.

I agree, that's the way to do it. You have to remember that the original images in the first post often makes reading the whole thread more interesting - that way you kan, by reading through the thread, follow the evolution of the model in question :)

OK, so after months of not touching this project (finishing my BNSF PF conversion), I finally got back to the OTM Tracker project.

I will rehash it all (briefly):

This started with the OTM Tracker presented in RailBricks issue #6. From there, I updated the cab of the truck to look more modern. I added in the couplers (which were missing in RailBricks), redesigned the hydraulic support pylons, moved the hi-rail wheels to be more realistic and stable on track, and even added in some tool boxes.

I also redesigned some of the crane, particularly the “legs”. I actually operated one of these machines in the late 90’s, so I wanted to make the “legs” more realistic and workable (the workable part will probably require some continued redesign, but its better for now). The cab will slide the entire length of the beam in my design, and I completely redesigned the crane arm.

6703088763_357c023e9b.jpg6703080613_eceaa95895.jpg

Here is the OTM Tracker in the travel position. The crane sits very stable on the bed of the truck, and will a little effort, you can get the crane arm into an acceptable position for road travel.

6703098543_a46c27f14a.jpg6703108999_fe7c9fa939.jpg

Here is the OTM Tracker getting up on the Hi-Rails to travel the rails. The second picture shows the gondola I added for the this project (which needs to be longer than my 24 stud version to allow the crane of actually sit on top and still have access to the car…you will see in a minute what I mean). Note the Hi-Rail wheels tuck up neatly inside the frame of the truck, preventing any issues when driving on the road (all this without compromising strength in the frame).

6703119501_5f2eb8c648.jpg

Here is the OTM Tracker preparing to off load the crane. The hydraulic support pylons work (I need to shorten the tops eventually so they minimize interference with the crane). The real truck has a pretty elaborate system that actually lifts the crane up to the same height of the gondola car, but I omitted that part (for now….).

6703128465_dfd02a7e18.jpg6703136965_1144b33f56.jpg

6703148427_bbea012dae.jpg6703158337_01ce0a07ea.jpg

Here is the OTM Tracker working from a gondola car. The “legs” at each end of the beam did not turn out as stable (or functional) as I had planned (hoped), so it may be in for a design in the future. There was also supposed to be some hinged part that actually clamped onto the gondola (again, they didn’t come out as envisioned), so right now it is just sitting there. You can see that the crane (18 studs long) it a bit too big for the gondola car to actually have access to it, so I think I will redo the gondola to be 28-32 studs long.

The Brandt and OTM Tracker decals were created using the corporate logos, and the red danger stripes were added to “pinch points” on the crane. All were custom made using Papillio white vinyl inkjet sticker paper (great product IMO).

I hope you enjoy this. My redesigns will probably wait for me to get done with my next project, so it may be a while before I update this.

Great improvements! Really liking how you've got the correct sliding feature on the excavator. I saw one of these while I was on vacation last month and it made me think of your MOC.

Awesome truck 'Tearloch'! It's great to see it brick built. I've been hoping to see a real one. It looks great, very detailed. I hope you continue work on the truck and create the lift system for the crane default_classic.gif

Totally AWESOME truck and machinery 'Tearloch', planning any support vehicles ? :grin:

Thanks for the compliments.

Probably not for a while. I did actually work on a "Rail Gang" at BNSF about 15 years ago, so I was thinking of making a few machines like a spike driver, a tamper, and maybe a cribber, but this project wore me out.

The antenna and rods sticking up need to be cut so they don't stick up so much. I think it will work fine on the truck, but I probably will do some more work on the crane, since it is not as stable or functional as I had envisioned. I also need to find a better way to get the crane to actually clamp onto the gondola.