ibecks

Building Cafe Corner via Bricklink

Good Evening

I'm in the process of sourcing parts for the 10182 Cafe Corner. It's a surprise pressie for my dear wife, sourcing seems to be a cheaper way of getting the set than buying from eBay etc.

I'm only a few bricks short most of which I can get but I'm having the devil of a job getting Dark Red 4460 Bricks. I need 30.

I've tried BrickLink and eBay to no avail and will try Lego if I can't get the bricks anywhere else.

Can anyone help please.

Thank you.

Edited by grum64

Have you tried Lego yet? Call up their replacement parts service, that is how I got them, and a lot more cheaply than through Bricklink as well. They produced a large number of them when they made the Pet Store, so hopefully they have a bunch of them left.

Here you go: Bricklink :classic:

You come to my aid again Sir.

I searched 3 times for these today and got nothing in Dark Red. Obviously I need to improve my technique.

Thank you very much. Again.

Have you tried Lego yet? Call up their replacement parts service, that is how I got them, and a lot more cheaply than through Bricklink as well. They produced a large number of them when they made the Pet Store, so hopefully they have a bunch of them left.

Thank you. I'll give them a call & see how they compare.

Did you need them for a self sourced Cafe Corner? If you don't mind me asking, what did it end up costing you in total? I've got around 70 bricks to get and have spent £114 inc. p&p etc. A bargain considering the cost of a set on eBay etc,.

Hi

Just thought I'd let you know that I've now got these bricks, I took your advice and tried Lego. They were 32p each as oppossed to at least double that elsewhere. I took the opportunity to get the remaing bricks I needed to complete the Cafe Corner part list & about 90 ther bricks I needed for my 'Mog 'project' and including p&p it cost £25.33. Not bad at all.

Thank you again and to all who heeded my call. Much appreciated.

A good source of the dark red slopes is the bionicles set 'battle of metru nui'. It contains 8 single slopes and a whole bunch of double slopes and other dark red parts. If you're lucky you can pick up the set for less than £10 in an eBay auction. I bought 3 of them.

Edited by Missing Brick

Did you need them for a self sourced Cafe Corner? If you don't mind me asking, what did it end up costing you in total? I've got around 70 bricks to get and have spent £114 inc. p&p etc. A bargain considering the cost of a set on eBay etc,.

You seem to be doing really well with your budget, impressive!

I did make a self-sourced Cafe Corner about a year ago, making the order for the dark red slopes right after the Pet Store arrived in stores. I think I ended up somewhere around $400 for the whole thing, having certain substitutions like the white 2x3 panels being the new type with side supports.

Hi

Just thought I'd let you know that I've now got these bricks, I took your advice and tried Lego. They were 32p each as oppossed to at least double that elsewhere. I took the opportunity to get the remaing bricks I needed to complete the Cafe Corner part list & about 90 ther bricks I needed for my 'Mog 'project' and including p&p it cost £25.33. Not bad at all.

Thank you again and to all who heeded my call. Much appreciated.

I'm really happy it all worked out for you, and I hope you are having fun doing this. I think I had as much fun getting the parts as building and displaying my set afterwards.

Edited by fyrmedhatt

I managed to reduce my overall final Bricklink price by more than 100 USD because I changed the 20 white 1x2x3 panels with hollow studs into used white 1x2x3 panels with solid studs :) it was the ones without side support, meaning that the swap of bricks is unnoticeable on my Cafe :)

I then spent 80 USD on the 2 original manuals, because the downloadable file is very badly scanned - I am color blind so there are many of the bricks that I can't tell from each other in the downloadable manual - it is much much easier for me to see the various colors in the original manual :)

This is a long shot,but is there anywhere I can get brick inventories for each of the numbered bags? I have all of the pieces put together, but I'd like to be able to sort them out into pieces for each floor to keep the pieces manageable - I don't have a huge build space

This is a long shot,but is there anywhere I can get brick inventories for each of the numbered bags? I have all of the pieces put together, but I'd like to be able to sort them out into pieces for each floor to keep the pieces manageable - I don't have a huge build space

It's not very likely, but did you check reviews(here or otherwise)?

Reading through this thread last weekend - and specifically realising that the red roof pieces were available via LEGO direct - inspired me to start my own build using Bricklink/my collection/LEGO direct etc.

I actually posted some of the below on NeoGAF, where a long LEGO thread is running, apologies if you saw this there too. But I wanted to share how (relatively) affordably I have managed this. It is actually coming together swiftly and cheaper than I thought.

I have pretty much all the bricks, save for some bits I plan to mod, such as the previously mentioned strange windows on the middlefloor. I am instead using 1x2x3 windows (with glass, too!), and that also means less bricks needed inside for the support wall behind the windows. That *may* create structural weakness, I'm not sure yet.

My bricks come from Bricklink orders, and a collection I've built in the last six months (always been a LEGO fan, only in the last year have I been snared deeper into it!).

Here's a cost breakdown:

£5 - A fraction of the bricks from a £40 haul from a UK charity shop (I was really lucky here - had lots of half-complete LEGO Batman 1 sets), plus a huge £10 lot I bought of tan bricks from bay.

£4 - Some bricks from Prince of Persia - Sands of Time: Race for the Sands Kit I bought reduced from TRU UK

£3 - Bricks from the LEGO City Train Station that I bought for £18 in the sales at Christmas

£50 - Bricklink orders (4 separate orders - probably paid a bit of a premium sticking to UK only buyers)

£20 - LEGO.com direct order (specifically the Red Roof Tiles and other Dark Red pieces plus the arches for the canopies - it was cheaper from here than through Bricklink)

£10 - Bricks from a few PAB wall trips (but only bits and pieces, as the rest of the cups were for other projects)

£7 - Baseplate

Total: £99 (including postage for those that I shipped in)

Importantly, there are a bunch of other substitutions I have made. I'm not foolish enough to pay for blue columns or arches, and will use the dark grey instead, and the back walls you rarely see will come from the big supply of substitute bricks I have also built up.

But hopefully, when we start building this over the next week or two (with help from my wife, who is keen to actually furnish the insides and make it a real restaurant and hotel!), we a) will get a relatively accurate rebuild that b) has been relatively cheap to put together.

Also, if you're in the UK - a few PAB wall visits (Stratford and Liverpool) have shown they currently have an number of bricks (grey and tan bricks one stud wide) that are key for substitution - oh, and nice light blue bricks too.

Over the next months I will also go down this expensive path. However what pieces are best to order via PAB vs BL? It seems the roof pieces are still the best from PAB... but is there a good breakdown of part qty versus PAB / BL? I wont be building a direct replica, rather a mod (much like those currently being posted).

Thanks

Over the next months I will also go down this expensive path. However what pieces are best to order via PAB vs BL? It seems the roof pieces are still the best from PAB... but is there a good breakdown of part qty versus PAB / BL? I wont be building a direct replica, rather a mod (much like those currently being posted).

Thanks

I think I just got the roof pieces and the white window frames from Lego online PAB, the rest were all bricklink. The windows were a little frustrating as the new one have a little edge to them which makes the openings a little small the way they are used in cafe corner.

Also, if money isn't too much of an issue, consider getting printed instructions, the PDF is abysmal.

Actually, most of the pieces I have are from PAB or my own supply. I haven't bricklinked anything yet, but I'm sure I will sometime in the future. I am making modifications to suit my needs, but the overall exterior aesthetic will remain ultimately the same. And that is what matters most to me.

I have heard others complain about the PDF instructions, but I have yet to have any problems reading them. They seem just as clear to me as other paper instructions. But maybe that's just me. I use these.

Good luck on your build! I can't wait until I finish mine. I have put it on hold to do other MOCs and things.

Goof afternoon friends,

I am wirting from Italy and I love Lego! I have some questions for you and I hope this is the right section.

Do you have an idea about the cost of lego 10182, if I buy all pieces somewhere?

Which is the best website (european or american) to buy the single pieces?

Do you have an idea if after pet shop, city council, fire brigade and grand emporium, lego will produce another corner building to close my first side of the city?

Thanks for your help!

Have a good time!

Matteo

Sorry for bumping the old thread - but I found it useful.

Im planning on doing this route in 2013; but was not sure which bricks were the most rare? Im not a stickler for exact details so no dark blue arches wont bother me. I saw that 4430b (hollow stud) can be around 1$ each - is that good? Or does Lego still provide them via S@H at cheaper prices? Which bits tend to be cheaper to source from TLG / S@H and which on BL?

Since I will also make a mod and double length the cafe corner the roof pieces will be nicer to get en masse.

As far as I know there is no "price guide" for what LEGO has, other than what they have available in Pick-a-brick. Short of going to Bricklink and creating a list of only Cafe Corner pieces and then looking at every single pieces to see what is cheaper from which stores, I don't know how much luck you'll have. I don't think there are exact lists anywhere, unless someone has their own compilation. But I would assume the prices may be in more flux than one would think though.

Sorry for bumping the old thread - but I found it useful.

Well, I -personally- am happy that you bumped it, because now I want to know what is a "Lego.com Direct" order¿?¿?

I certainly don tsee any dark red slopes in the PaB at lego.com, so how do you place a "Direct" order¿?

Thanks in advance.

From memory the people were phoning lego direct (customer services) and asking to place an order for specific parts which are not on the website; somehow through the replacement service perhaps? I believe it depends upon the Lego rep you speak with.

I think you need the Element ID and they can check to see if they are available. I believe they can only deal with 50 items over the phone. Find old instructions and figure out which pieces you need and write down the ID numbers. Probably best to have a list. Every time I've spoken with a Rep over the phone they rush to get you off of the phone. I don't know if I've ever gotten everything taken care of over one phone call because they don't seem to want to place orders. Or at least, that is my experience.

I don't love the yellow windows/wheel fenders, but I do like the idea of the yellow window panels. Obviously there is something unique and interesting about the dark red roofing, but the black works here quite well. I'd almost want more color in the middle section (similar to how the original has)

i was being resourceful.. i had yellow windows and wheel rims laying around so i used them instead of another colour. i have an idea to tweak the corner mid section but it will wait a while. black slopes are abundant out there and were easier to acquire. i would love an original CC, but im not going to pay the prices demanded for one, and the prices for some of the parts/colours.

According to Lego Online Replacement Service (add a set number; select the part and order upto 100?) the dark red slopes from Pet Shop are 0.7 CHF; compared to BL with about 0.78 CHF (a few items) and 1$ for higher volumes. So I placed electronic order at TLG - not sure if it will be honored as their telephone support was "customer support is not open at weekends ; except October until Christmas when we are open... but we are not answering the phones: bye bye". Most other parts seem to be cheaper via BL; including the 2x3x4 72 degree dark red slopes. (0.15 vs 05 CHF)

Edited by roamingstudio