CopMike

LEGO® CUUSOO 空想 - Turn your model wishes into reality

Regarding Street Fighter. Lego looks at the nature of the source matrial, not simply individual pieces of content. They will not accept certain types of games as source material for projects. High on the list are FPS games and Fighters. The Portal project was originally rejected because they believed it was an FPS.

In the case of Street Fighter, I don't think that will be revised or appealed. Lego does not feel fighting games are appropriate. Street Fighter is pretty much the definition and template of a fighting game. There's just no wiggle room there.

I guess the lesson learned from the Street Fighter fiasco is that people should not spend too much time polishing their initial CUUSOO submission. First try to have your idea accepted and then work on developping it further as you go. (that is if you still believe in CUUSOO... :sceptic: )

If this guy had first tried to submit a couple of figs to get a pulse of how TLG felt about it before going full scale with the 16 he would at least have spared himself a part of the disapointment.

I'm "this guy".

For what it's worth: I started the figures before I knew about CUUSOO, and would have completed them whether or not CUUSOO existed.

I knew submitting it (and having it accepted) was a very long shot. I did read their guidelines, and "fighting" wasn't explicitly prohibited, so I went ahead and submitted it. While the rejection was disappointing, it also wasn't totally unexpected.

For what it's worth: I started the figures before I knew about CUUSOO, and would have completed them whether or not CUUSOO existed.

I knew submitting it (and having it accepted) was a very long shot. I did read their guidelines, and "fighting" wasn't explicitly prohibited, so I went ahead and submitted it. While the rejection was disappointing, it also wasn't totally unexpected.

Nice to meet you levork and welcome to the Club of the CUUSOO failures! :wink: (I'm the owner of the infamous "Winchester/Shaun of the Dead" project, aka CUUSOO failure #1)

Don't get me wrong, you did an outstanding job at creating these MF, I was obviously missing some info as I thought these had been created for the purpose of posting them on CUUSOO. You gave it a shot and you were right to try, this project deserved its chance.

Regarding Street Fighter. Lego looks at the nature of the source matrial, not simply individual pieces of content. They will not accept certain types of games as source material for projects. High on the list are FPS games and Fighters. The Portal project was originally rejected because they believed it was an FPS.

In the case of Street Fighter, I don't think that will be revised or appealed. Lego does not feel fighting games are appropriate. Street Fighter is pretty much the definition and template of a fighting game. There's just no wiggle room there.

Thank you! That's what I've been trying to say. :tongue:

One thing we need to keep in mind is: we have CUUSOO! We have a tool to get the Lego (albeit target-group appropriate) sets we want! I know many of us here can remember when Lego didn't even have themes like Star Wars or Superheroes. Now we're complaining because we aren't getting Lego Shaun of the Dead? We aren't getting Street Fighter? Let's face it, despite how awesome some projects (especially SofD) are, they wouldn't be produced. We need to count our blessings. We've got this tool to get what we want. We've got Lego Minecraft. We're likely getting the Modular Western Town, and Back to the Future. We might even get Portal or Legend of Zelda! :sweet: 

I don't want to be a fanboy, here. I'm not going to blindly support decisions that don't make sense, and I don't mind other people stating their opinions. But this is something we've never seen with Lego. We ought to appreciate it a bit more!

I agree that the Street Fighter proposal's rejection was not totally expected. I wish people would stop bringing up LotR/Star Wars/Indiana Jones/other licenses when talking about how TLG has a "double standard" regarding Cuusoo proposals. It has to be understood that in many cases, how TLG applies their own guidelines depends on how their customers-- not logically-thinking and open-minded members of the fan community-- will perceive them. Street Fighter has a reputation for being pretty violent and bloody, even if that blood has been heavily toned-down on Nintendo systems. The movie franchises TLG has made into sets, on the other hand, have pretty sturdy reputations as classics, and in the cases of Indiana Jones and Star Wars, hail from a time when there wasn't as strong of a moral panic over what film content was appropriate for children.

A sad consequence of this is that it will probably be many years before video games are treated the same as films in judging how they fit TLG's criteria. The immersive nature of video games has caused a stir among the moral guardians for years, especially now that the level of realism in video games has increased exponentially. Suddenly, the violence that parents were perfectly happy exposing their kids to in movies is no longer OK.

It's TLG's right and obligation to play it safe when it comes to choosing their licenses. And sometimes there might be business reasons for choosing certain licenses that they might have rejected years before. After all, any license-holder TLG rejects is a license-holder who might take their IPs to a competitor. But TLG has a strong reputation for being a child-friendly brand, and they have a strong incentive to preserve that reputation. It makes sense that they'd be more willing to bend their self-imposed rules when dealing with a hugely-popular franchise kids will be inundated with marketing from anyway than when dealing with a license agreement that might result in one or two products and will appeal largely to a niche audience of adult fans. So no, it's not entirely "fair", but it's not completely unsound reasoning either.

LEGO Ninjago will end in 2013. That's why I made a Final Boss to end the series. You can find it on CUUSOO!

If you would like to support this project click here!

~snip~

Very creative model! I absolutely love the use of the tail from the new Jabba figure.

Unfortunately, it might not work that well in the Ninjago theme: it currently appears like we may see at least a few sets in the theme next year, and based on the pattern Ninjago has established, it's not unlikely that the ninja will be facing a brand new, non-Serpentine foe. And with the time it generally takes a Cuusoo project, especially an unlicensed one, to reach 10,000 supporters, as well as the fact that the current batch of sets being reviewed could create a backlog if more than one of them passes, I'm afraid that by the time a project such as this gets a shot at being produced, the Ninjago theme will have either moved past the Serpentine story arc or ended outright. As far as non-licensed proposals go, I would imagine ones based on an existing story theme would be one of the more difficult to produce with Cuusoo, for all of the above reasons.

Edited by Lyichir

25?! Sadly I can't find any of them, username searches doesn't appear to work.

Seriously, I've felt the disillusionment and frustration from the near beginning when Minecr...aft took over. I'll spare the tirade for now, but especially since it looks like only four winning products will be produced in a year, a lot of people with really great ideas are going to be left disappointed - seeing that it really doesn't seem to be about LEGO sets any more but riding on popular licenses.

Yeah... I go about once a week or so, and I just do a search for the latest projects until I run across the ones I've already seen.

It would be a lot better if I could filter OUT some things... like anything to do with "minecraft."

I'd filter out: mindcraft, battlepack, bat*, Star Wars, Super Mario... the list goes on and on; mostly video game stuff.

Yeah... I go about once a week or so, and I just do a search for the latest projects until I run across the ones I've already seen.

It would be a lot better if I could filter OUT some things... like anything to do with "minecraft."

I'd filter out: mindcraft, battlepack, bat*, Star Wars, Super Mario... the list goes on and on; mostly video game stuff.

Or indeed, filter out UCS. Plenty of submissions to Cuusoo still hold to the idea that bigger, heavier, more difficult must be better.

Plenty of submissions to Cuusoo Lego fans still hold to the idea that bigger, heavier, more difficult is better.

Massive heavy creations are fine for the elaborate MOC that you're putting on display in your local Lego Store to have the region's kids wowwing over - that's fine. But don't expect people me to want to pay for it.

Have the four June projects been approved/disapproved?

I'd really like to hear the results, it shouldn't take 2 months..

-Sci

Have the four June projects been approved/disapproved?

I'd really like to hear the results, it shouldn't take 2 months..

Nope, there has been no news on the review stage projects. Not that surprising yet, their announced timeframe more or less implies that it takes at least two months easily. I'd expect we'll get news in a month or so (I think they want to get some news out before the next review stage starts in September 4th). But not necessarily much earlier.

Is it completely and utterly evil of me for thinking in the back of my head, that one of the things that would add a great deal of truly twisted entertainment would be a "vote hell no" button? If just so we could toss tomatoes at any project with the word "Batman" in it's description? :sceptic:

Is it completely and utterly evil of me for thinking in the back of my head, that one of the things that would add a great deal of truly twisted entertainment would be a "vote hell no" button? If just so we could toss tomatoes at any project with the word "Batman" in it's description? :sceptic:

I would love a "hell no" button.

It would be interesting if support required a commitment to buy at a maximum price of what you entered when you supported, and obviously dumb amounts wouldn't count.

So when someone puts $1 for how much they'd pay for a UCS sandcrawler, not only doesn't it count - the user should have their account suspended. But if they put $500, then if LEGO makes the set and sells it for any amount $500 or below, they should be obligated to buy it.

Maybe submitters should be required to estimate a price, or include the number of bricks in their description (even if approximate), so LEGO could estimate a minimum price. I know they can change the sets afterwards, I'm talking a ballpark figure. Supporters who enter an amount less than the minimum price wouldn't get counted.

Edit: I want to add that, yes, I'm very opinionated and vocal about things - I know that turns off a lot of people, but let's face it - in this case, Cuusoo is a great idea that's being completely abused by users. People show off their 10k part MOCs that will never be made into sets - they are great MOCs, but they are unrealistic as sets. At the same time, people with no ability submit pictures of cars or cartoons they want made with no attempt at even building anything on their own, in LDD or otherwise. And I've had conversations with people here who have supported projects they had no intention of buying just because they were well done - there's a reason they ask how much you'd pay and how many you'd buy... if 10k people say they'd buy it, and only 5k do when they release it, you can kiss such a great opportunity for sets we'd like to see made good-bye. I'd say a huge portion of the submitters are using Cuusoo just to show off their MOCs that have no chance of being made into a set at all... there are other websites for that!

Edited by fred67

What do ya have against Batman? I mean, I know there's a lot of Batsy projects, and if you have a lot then some are bound to be bad. But there's actually some pretty decent ones on there!

What do ya have against Batman? I mean, I know there's a lot of Batsy projects, and if you have a lot then some are bound to be bad. But there's actually some pretty decent ones on there!

I don't have a problem with batman - in fact, I supported a small batman set (and it didn't even have batman in it) the other day, but the signal to noise ratio (interesting vs garbage sets) is so low that, given the choice, I'd filter them out.

EDIT: ... and again, people shouldn't vote on sets they think are good if they would not buy them. While I'm collecting most of the popular superhero figures, I wouldn't buy any of the sets I've seen (except the one I supported). Ultimately, if people aren't batman fans, they should be able to filter out batman. If people aren't Star Wars fans, they should be able to filter out Star Wars. I like Star Wars OT, I wish I could filter out SWCW. That doesn't mean those sets aren't good, just that I'd never buy them myself, and so won't vote for them. But I admit a "hell no" button could be as abused as anything on Cuusoo, too, I suppose.

Edited by fred67

I hate to rank on some of the projects, but check this out. Search "Batman", sort by "Most Supported", and look at spot 3 and 4. The projects aren't great, and I would rather just wait for LEGO to make a new Killer Croc/Man Bat. They have most of those supports because 'TheBrickQueen' made it. :hmpf:

I hate to rank on some of the projects, but check this out. Search "Batman", sort by "Most Supported", and look at spot 3 and 4. The projects aren't great, and I would rather just wait for LEGO to make a new Killer Croc/Man Bat. They have most of those supports because 'TheBrickQueen' made it. :hmpf:

So then the supports are basically there for the person and not necessarily the idea or project being offered.

I am surprised she doesn't have more supports with over 14k subscribers on youtube.

This new Android Project is really flying through the Supports. *oh2* over 3,000 supports in just a couple days.

That one strikes me as the perfect example of a great CuuSoo project. It is a commonly known and recognize able pop culture item. It is an interesting looking build. It was done with a not outrageous amount of pieces, and it is really well presented on CuuSoo as a project OT set, and not simply to show off someone's MOC. It deserves the attention it's getting.

I predict the next big one to take off will be a nice well detailed but reasonably sized model of the Curiousity Rover. It just screams "make me in Lego".