matt22hew

(WIP) MAN-O-WAR - Brick Hull

This is truely becoming a fantastic vessel. Original technics, and the scale is amazing. I love the curved shapes and tumblehome used in the bow, that part is the most difficult to achieve, and you have done a great job on it. I love it to see how much detail and effort you put into the interior and deck details. Awesome to look at, it makes large ships so much cooler. :pir-wub:

The only thing I would do is not to cut the yellow stripe (of the first gundeck) now it looks like the stripe is pointing towards the prow. Instead there should be a large block of wood with anchor holes. It would add a lot of realism and detail.

I cannot wait to see more of this fantastic project, keep it up! :thumbup:

When I first checked out your topic, I really liked the different technique you were using for the tumblehome, and I remember thinking that the bow will make or break this design. The bow is the hard part and I wondered weather you would be able to match the nice tumblehome with a nice smooth bow. Well, you have achieved just that, and I think it looks great, and all built using slope/roof bricks. Im surprised no-one else has tried doing that, as it clearly works well and is a great solution for this tricky part of the ship. I look forward to seeing this ship complete, as its shaping up to be one of the best.

This is looking crazy good, I love the sturdiness of the build, if I was a crewmember I would feel so safe.

I can't wait to see how it progresses.

Cheers

...and all built using slope/roof bricks. Im surprised no-one else has tried doing that, as it clearly works well and is a great solution for this tricky part of the ship...

I'm suprised you haven't seen it before :pir_laugh2:

it's a very useful solution and still the only one I used for quite some time now :pir_laugh2:

And I thought the Imperial Flagship was big.

My favorite part is the interior, it adds a lot to the build. Can't wait to see the place filled with cannons, crew, etc. :pir-cry_happy:

Keep it up, she's looking wonderful.

So I reworked the bow a bit for some anchor holes per a recomendation! It def adds more charachter. The color scheme will be the yellow slopes continuing to the cut water as seen on the viewing left side. I likely plan on putting two brigs on either side of the bow walls with the chains for the anchors either coming out the holes to the center of the lower gun deck.

I appreciate all the postive feedback and suggestions! Please give any more critisism as I very much appreciate it! Here are a few pics

2011-11-01_22-32-54_388.jpg

2011-11-01_22-33-25_671.jpg

I think you are well under way of building a nice ship!

Your bow is quite smooth, but it is inconsistent at the prow. I.E. parts of it are fatter in the bottom then at the top, making the slopes add up at the prow might make it look smoother. Hope that makes sense, good luck with the build! :thumbup:

When I just opened this up, I wondered how you were going to handle the bow... I have a similar bow constructed in LDRAW from 2007 or 2008 but I havent used it yet. I oriented the slope bricks so the studs were facing the front... I dont think I ever shared it with anyone, but its nice to know someone thinks the same way :-)

Some more updates. Working on the bow now. Mostly a mock up and likely changing the figurehead. Anchor works well and will rest on the typical horns when i finish the bow quarter deck. Open to suggestions.

2011-11-13_10-58-01_262.jpg

2011-11-13_10-57-50_351.jpg

2011-11-13_10-57-43_476.jpg

2011-11-13_10-57-01_260.jpg

2011-11-13_10-55-48_350.jpg

That is a cool update! :thumbup:

My only suggestion is to add more blue to the front, and I'm not quite sure about the window located there.

This ship model here roughly explains what I mean, but it's also because I like a lot of blue in the front myself. :pir_laugh2:

Making some more progress with the stern now. Also decided to lower the rigging mounts at left and right. Will be making the third mast shortly on the new section that will be implemented. The entire third mast will be on a 10 stud cross section.

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

Nice !

the shape seen from above is not optimal but that could make it a lot stronger and might make the interior more accessible, seen from the front the shape is great.

Now how about that interior, is it easy to access the ships 'inner works' ?

the yellow doors on the bow look good, where did you get those ?

Made some more progress this weekend. The yellow doors on the bow are the typical 1980's doors of old. I will likely replace them with blue ones later. Added the third mast and all is well now save for the forecastle, poop deck and loads of detail. Looking at the third mast it seems bit too close to the main but after looking at pictures of real vessels perhaps it will be ok.

IMG_0387.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0392.jpg

IMG_0393.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

It's loogreat so far! :pir-classic: I can't get over the amount of detail in the ship. Do you have a crew ready to man this mighty vessel?

Nearing Completion of the major elements. Several details still will be added eventually. I'm still trying to decide roughly how many crew members I should have.

The name of the boat will be the HMS Gauntlet, with just Guantlet being sticked in black on the yellow strip below the lower cabin.

The sails are some basic stiff fabric I found a Joanne's (A large farbric store in the states) I will eventually stripe them and add some detail. They are slightly see through but it does not bother me too much at this point.

Still trying to devise a solution for below the cabin to finish off the hull.

The last detail will be the foremost triangular sails which I still have yet to decide on. As I want two in a staggered fashion, I dont believe the IPF solution will work. I think I may add a single string from the bow sprit along the top of the mast to the stern.

Here are some pics

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0860.jpg

IMG_0858.jpg

Beautiful! I really love seeing this project coming to a great end! I hope ypu got a studio-set-up that's big enough to house this ship, man - it sure should be photographed with a decent background :pir-classic:

Near the finish!! Have a decent size crew on order and some more interior detail will be added. Then will have a professional who I work with photograph the boat against a proper background

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

Love it so far. the stern is awesome, it looks really good

I haven't read the whole topic but does the ship have a name?

look forward to seeing it complete!

Sweet, the stern worked out great, there's great acces to the interior as well, love it.

She's a beaut!

I know it's probably a little late in the developmental process to add a suggestion, but I just have to say that for this size of vessel the capstan is WAY under-sized. (not to mention it should be located somewhere abaft the fore-mast) It's a small detail that is of little consequence.

I'll drop a link for my recent tutorial just so you have an idea of what you may want to try and work in if you ever get around to tearing it down and rebuilding like you've mentioned.

Again she looks amazing and is quite inspiring.

This is a master build, fantastic! :thumbup:

She is a beauty, and some very interesting techniques have been used. The stern turned out differently then I expected in the first place, but I love it! It has some kind of style which is appealing to me.

The sails are cool too, perhaps the size of some sails are a bit odd but that is just my historic accuracy nitpicking. :pir_laugh2:

I'm sure you are proud of this beauty, and let's hope she may sail forever!

At least she will on the Classic-Pirates.com blog soon. :pir-wink: