LuxorV

Minifig Customization Workshop Contest 2011

Eurobricks Staff in co-operation with LEGO customisers

BrickArms, BrickForge and BrickWarriors is proud to announce the Minifg Customisation Workshop Contest 2011

promo_003_copy.png

The Categories

Catergory 1: Globetrotters

Create a custom minifigure representing an existing Country/Nation. It can based on anything related to that Country/Nation, as long as it is not offensive. No figures based on existing media will be allowed.

Catergory 2: Alien Nation

Create a custom alien minifigure. It must be a new and personal concept. No figures based on existing media will be allowed.

Catergory 3: Tournament Champion

Create a custom medieval tournament champion minifigure (see the new LEGO 10223 Kingdoms Joust for examples of what a tournament champion should look like). It must be a new and personal concept. No figures based on existing media will be allowed.

The Rules

• Your entry must fit one of the categories above

• For the nature of this contest, no digital entries are allowed - only actual brick-built entries

• For the same reason, photo editing of the entries will be allowed only for a better presentation; no digital added decals or parts’ colour changes will be allowed

• Your entries must be at least 51% recognizable LEGO

• Entries must have a background story, a note on what inspired you in making that particular custom

• Your custom figure must be showcased in an 8x8 vignette, showing how it blends into the LEGO world

• Entries' description must include an indication of the cost of the material used to create the custom (Not including the parts used for the vignette!)

• Contestants may submit a maximum number of 5 pictures per entry, keeping in mind that a base of 4 pictures (overall vignette plus front, side and back of the figure) is required to qualify for this contest

• Entries should have a link to a picture folder (non-resized pics, close-ups and stuff like that for the rest of us to enjoy)

• Max picture size for deeplinked pictures is 800 x 600 pixels

• No webcam or phone pictures - The pictures must be undisturbed - make a studio, anything but a table with a cat in the background

• Entries must be new customs. Any entry published online prior to the start of the contest will be disqualified

• You may not include in your entry any decal or other design element created by other customisers; actual custom plastic items (such as BrickArms, BrickForge and similar) are allowed, as long as you clearly refer to them in the text and you give due credit

• Clone brands’ (Oxford, Megablocks and suchlike) parts are definitely forbidden!

• Contest entries must be posted before the 2st of November 2011 12:00 GTM

• Each entrant can submit only one entry per category

• All entries posted until the end date of the contest are considered Works In Progress

• All entries not living up to the rules on the end date will be disqualified

• Entries must be something the whole AFOLs’ community can enjoy. Please, avoid nudity, excessive gore, or other offensive content

• All entries will be commented 1 week before the end date by me, giving guidelines on how to qualify for the vote

Entries are to be posted within the Minifig Customization Workshop and type "MCW Contest 2011 Entry – Category #" in the topic description line.

PRIZES

There will be 3 prizes per category, consisting of rich items’ packs offered by BrickForge for Category 1, by BrickArms for Category 2 and by BrickWarriors for Category 3. More details to come, so stay tuned!

Check this topic for more details on the prizes.

The Contest will run from today (2nd of October 2011) to 16th of November (12 GMT)

Have fun and start customising!

This promises to be an exciting contest for sure! I had a blast joining last year (:cry_happy:) and I'm excited to see what our creative customizers, veterans and new blood alike, will come up this time around. :sweet:

Sweet! I've never really made big minifig customs but this looks like fun.

is there a link to previous winners? I'd like to see them.

In this thread you can see the winners from last year, but please keep in mind that the categories vary with each edition.

I never customize, but I'll give it a go this time! :excited:

I already have an idea on what I'm doing for the second category, but not so sure for the first...

And I don't have to make custom pieces right? I can use existing LEGO pieces only?

And I don't have to make custom pieces right? I can use existing LEGO pieces only?

Purist customs are welcome, of course :wink:

Just do not make it a variation of some SW alien or similar:

It must be a new and personal concept. No figures based on existing media will be allowed.

So, I can have decals as long as they're made by me right? And what counts as inappropriate figs? Can you do soldiers, police, etc.? Oh, and can we use sculpting clay and stuff? Good luck!

Katona

Edited by KisKatona

So i have a question, it says

"For the same reason, photo editing of the entries will be allowed only for a better presentation; no digital added decals or parts’ colour changes will be allowed"

Is that you can change colour of pieces through photo editing or just by paint and what not?

Thanks

Sounds Great. This will be a nice excuse to do some more customizing. Its been a while unfortunately since it takes a long undisturbed time for clay models.

The two categories sound fun and I really hope to get around to entering.

"For the same reason, photo editing of the entries will be allowed only for a better presentation; no digital added decals or parts’ colour changes will be allowed"

Is that you can change colour of pieces through photo editing or just by paint and what not?

Thanks

That should probably read "no digitally added decals or [digital] part colour changes will be allowed".

Edited by SilentMode

So, I can have decals as long as they're made by me right? And what counts as inappropriate figs? Can you do soldiers, police, etc.? Oh, and can we use sculpting clay and stuff? Good luck!

Katona

To answer your question in order:

- decals must be made by you only;

- inappropriate figs include excessive gore, sexual or extremely violent attutudes and so on;

- soldiers, police, etc. are allowed as long as they fit the categories;

- sculpting clay and stuff are allowed (again, only for parts made by you).

Thanks

It reads: 'digital added decals or parts' colour changes will not be allowed'. Sorry if it may look confusing, but that's correct English, as far as I know :wink:

To answer your question in order:

- decals must be made by you only;

- inappropriate figs include excessive gore, sexual or extremely violent attutudes and so on;

- soldiers, police, etc. are allowed as long as they fit the categories;

- sculpting clay and stuff are allowed (again, only for parts made by you).

Thanks Luxor! Now I can get started. :sweet:

As you can see on Eurobricks Front Page and in the first post of this thread, thanks to Thrash and his associates at BrickWarriors, we introduce a 3rd category (Tournament Champion), that means more chances to get some of the awesome prizes of this contest!

Sounds like fun, there are a lot of different genres to explore, I look forward to seeing what I can come up with and what others will come up with!

Possibly the first stupid question but here goes...

For categories 2 & 3 it says; "No figures based on existing media will be allowed." - but not for Category 1. Does this mean Category 1 could be a historical figure, a character from a movie or whatever we want (as long as we feel it represents a country/nation)?

Possibly the first stupid question but here goes...

For categories 2 & 3 it says; "No figures based on existing media will be allowed." - but not for Category 1. Does this mean Category 1 could be a historical figure, a character from a movie or whatever we want (as long as we feel it represents a country/nation)?

Honestly, I did not think about that; I'll update the rules. Your imagination is the key here :wink:

For the third catagory does the champion have to be human?

I'd say yes, as in the Kingdoms line. I never liked the skellies and not much the trolls either.

Personal feelings apart, we should stay with historical-like Tournament Champion figures.

Honestly, I did not think about that; I'll update the rules. Your imagination is the key here :wink:

Arggh, I shouldn't have said anything - imagination is exactly what I'm lacking :grin: