snaillad

MOC UK Style suburban semi detached house c1940s

indexed.gif B-RM-3A

Hi everyone,

This is a MOC based on semi-detached suburban houses that were built in the UK from the 1920's to the 1950's. Many of them still in perfect existence today. There are details on both floors and it is completely modular. I really wanted the curved bay window which is a typical feature of many houses of this period. Some pics found below;

6195384168_bc4f81cbc1_z.jpg

6194866731_5fbedbd82b_z.jpg

6194866065_0f3d0b3dd5_z.jpg

6195395086_8bf115321c_z.jpg

6195394480_ecb01ac577_z.jpg

6195397116_cfc71546a0_z.jpg

6194882279_64259338c2_z.jpg

6194874879_9fe2e3a19b_z.jpg

I have included some interior pics this time but there are more here

Comments welcome!

Interesting way of doing the sink in the bathroom. I had not thought of that myself.

It does look very semi like I have to say. I like the window, you are right that is so typical of that style of house.

What is the cat's name, is he friendly?

Awesome MOC!

The cat looks very realistic but is out of scale with the minifig. Did you use some kind of Technic pieces I'm not familiar with for the fur effect? The eyes look very realistic too. Great job.

Oh yeah, and the house is nice as well...

Cheers

Rog

Nice building and a very complete interior up to the toilet paper.

The bay windows worked out nice but the front door is really good. Great job you did there especially with the window above the door.

This has to be one of my favourite MOCs ever!! Mainly because it reminds me of practically every house near where I live and I'm a big fan of the milk float (just 15 minutes ago I was wondering if Lego ever did one..). I just love it and want it. Now you just need one to join it with!! :tongue:

Well done!! :classic:

That is really good!

I like the external design, the garden and the garden wall.

The internals details are simply fantastic: beautiful stairs and awesome kitchen.

The cat is not a lego pet but is great! :laugh:

I saw your pics as you uploaded them to Flickr earlier, and it's really a wonderful MOC. The exterior with the bay window and the window above the door is very nice, but the interior is even better. Nice and clean design, lovely tiled floors, and the colour combinations are just about perfect. Very well done!

Oh, and I love the milk van. But that shouldn't come as a surprise :)

Excellent work on the house, the interior and, well, everything else! It looks extremely polished and there are some cool building techniques used, such as the sink. But that is one evil-looking cat!

One word.....AWESOME ! :excited:

Fantastic frontage, so very clean, so very 1930's design, so very British ! :excited:

Then there is the interior, here the bar is raised to a new level....every where from the kitchen to the bathroom....again I'll say it - AWESOME ! :excited:

The best modular house I have seen perhaps ever 'snaillad', Brick On ! :excited:

I am a sucker for some good tiling, and this house is completely smooth. I love the finished look and that stairway is sweet.

it just has a very finished look to it, like it could be behind a case never needing to be updated.

Very cool.

This is absolutely wonderful - a brilliantly realistic semi, with some great touches (such as the milk on the doorstep). The front door area is lovely, as is the curved bay window. The fireplace is also excellent, and I love the hallway tiled floor (mine is a bit like that!).

Each time I look at it, I find something new to love - the brickwork is excellent, as is the stair bannister, the mobile over the baby's crib, the telephone, the armchair in the living room...the detail in this is amazing.

I would be so proud of myself if I built something like this...it's exceptionally good.

Great work! Like into the house, very good dettails..love the baby bedroom!!!!

Nice cat!

Edited by Vicmackey80

Spot on. Isn't it a shame Lego doors open outwards though?

As a variation some houses of this style have a small bay window above the door. and you'll also find some with corner bays or just corner windows either glazed both sides of the corner or cut across the diagonal. streets tend to be laid out with semi-detached in matching pairs but each pair will be slightly different to their neighbours. It allowed owners of the houses to feel individual in what could feel like a sea of such houses amid the suburban boom period.

That is exactly what I was expecting to see when I opened the thread. Great work! I became familiar with those types of houses through watching The Good Life (my favorite show).

I like the front door very much-- it really stands out. Haven't had a chance to look at the interior too much yet but will soon!

That is exactly what I was expecting to see when I opened the thread. Great work! I became familiar with those types of houses through watching The Good Life (my favorite show). ETA: I guess those weren't semi detached, though...

I like the front door very much-- it really stands out. Haven't had a chance to look at the interior too much yet but will soon!

Another excellent build, snaillad! Between this and all your beautiful Deco buildings, I think you've become one of my favorite builders. You manage to find the perfect balance of detailing, both inside and out, that in the end result in some of the most appealing buildings I see posted.

Blogged on Brick Town Talk! :classic:

Interesting way of doing the sink in the bathroom. I had not thought of that myself.

It does look very semi like I have to say. I like the window, you are right that is so typical of that style of house.

What is the cat's name, is he friendly?

To be honest the bathroom was the last thing I did and space was very much at a premium so using the wall was the best way to save space!

His name is winston. He is friendly but not the brightest! :classic:

Simply sublime. True to life whilst remaining cute and minifig scale. The 1x1 white tile for cleaning windows is inspired.

Absolutely fantastic, you've really captured the feeling of that kind of house. Reminds me a lot of the house I grew up in. Plenty of really clever building techniques from the bathroom sink to that lovely bay window effect. And a cool little milk float to go with it too.