Pingles

Life of George - Lego bricks + iOS

Another reason why I am choosing the iPad 2 over other tablets :laugh:

I think this is a pretty cool idea that I hope will expand :thumbup:

Brickset has a video uploaded about it that shows how the game works:clicker

Edited by ceroknight

The Life of George site is up and it has a very retro/modern style compared to most products by TLG.

The companion Facebook page makes this product a bit surreal as well. I was surprised that real people actually bothered to post responses.

I've ordered it. Always been a big fan of Tangrams and am looking forward to playing it.

Hopefully they will start pooling user submissions and be expanding it past the 200 or so puzzles they are shipping with.

Will report back once I get it.

Now that I saw the website, I was wondering if this game will be still compatible with the iPad 2...

There is no mention of it anywhere.. :sceptic:

I have received mine.

The unboxing.

6235224236_4189e3dc7a_z.jpg

It's a surprisingly small box. That's a little Mater next to it for scale.

6234705537_4429af8cbb_z.jpg

The back of the box. Seem to be very minimalistic. This is the start of a trend...

6234711009_f1abe899a2_z.jpg

Opening the box you are presented with a quick-start guide. Again, very simple. Three steps.

6235240780_c5235918e3_z.jpg

The rest of the contents. Sticker (I think), baseboard, Lego.

6235246692_051b74b841_z.jpg

Unbagged Lego pieces and the app. Yes, it runs on the iPad2 (not 1. It needs the camera)

I am still playing with it. Some observations:

1. Next to no text. Even the app is all icon-driven.

2. Fun. Lots of pressure to build fast. It works great.

3. I can't figure out how to make multiple users on a single device. Gonna be battling my wife and sister-in-law for it.

Will report back when I get more time with it.

This looks like a neat idea. Unfortunately, I don;t have a smart phone, so I can't play it :(. It looks like you could just download the app and buy the baseplate of the Internet, and use your own bricks.

Looks nice =) Waiting for mine =)

Just remember that if u bought this from LEGO and are an VIP member, check taht u got double points ;)

There was something wrong with Life of George's double points the first week.

I suspect it needs that exact baseplate (white and black, with the color bars at the ends) for the software to accurately recognize it. So far, the baseplate isn't listed on Bricklink.

Sure hope they're making an android app of this though - that'd increase their potential users a ton and I know I'd buy one in an instant if they did. I concur w/ pingles though - needs to have multi-user support so multiple people on one device can keep records.

There is a 2 player mode on it if thats what u mean?

Edited by eiker86

Just documenting here for posterity (translation: when my daughter finds the box and mixes the pieces in with our others)

Blue

Green

Yellow

Red

Black

White

All pieces x1

All colors identical counts

1: 6

2: 8

3: 4

4: 4

6: 2

144 pcs total

I've got my copy yesterday and played a bit around with it. Its a fun little game, also for people that dont "play" with lego normally. Nice to see new technology used to make new creative games.

But i also found a first little bug / error in the app. In chapter 3 there is a skull to build that, from the graphic, requires 8 white 1x1 bricks. But of course there are only 6 of these in the box.

Its buildable though, if you switch two 4+1 rows with 2+3, but it totally ruins your score ;) Lets see how long it takes Lego to put an update out.

But i also found a first little bug / error in the app. In chapter 3 there is a skull to build that, from the graphic, requires 8 white 1x1 bricks. But of course there are only 6 of these in the box.

Its buildable though, if you switch two 4+1 rows with 2+3, but it totally ruins your score ;) Lets see how long it takes Lego to put an update out.

This seems to have been fixed in the version released on October 26th. The new version of the skull uses 6 1x1 white bricks.

Life of George is up for the People's Choice Webby award, the Webby awards are quite prestigious in t'world of interweb. It's coming second at the moment and it is very close.

I admit I didn't buy it default_blush.gif but I thought it was a clever idea for an app and the social media campaign around it was nice, so I voted. Quite easy as you can use FB/Twitter/Google login to vote.

Did anyone buy it? Was it any fun?

Life of George is up for the People's Choice Webby award, the Webby awards are quite prestigious in t'world of interweb. It's coming second at the moment and it is very close.

I've stolen the other Life of George thread from General Discussion and will merge this into there, which will become the LoG general discussion thread.

There is an event at the lego stores this month for kids using Life of George. (May 30 and 31st). It is a tournament pitting one kid against another to build an item from Life of George in the fastest most accurate way. The winner moves on, the loser gets a consolation prize and the grand winner at the end of the evening (runs from 5pm to 7) wins the Life of George boxed game. Its quite a bit of waiting but the kids had lots of fun.

Was in my local Lego store, and noticed they have a new box for life of George, and I think a new number - 21201 compared to 21200 before. I also shows two apps - life of George and 'build your brain' or similar. Anyone seen this and know anything about the new app - cant find anything on the app store.

And is there any difference in the set? If its the same mat and bricks, why change the set number?

Was in my local Lego store, and noticed they have a new box for life of George, and I think a new number - 21201 compared to 21200 before. I also shows two apps - life of George and 'build your brain' or similar. Anyone seen this and know anything about the new app - cant find anything on the app store.

And is there any difference in the set? If its the same mat and bricks, why change the set number?

It is this version. :sweet:

Hey, the new box art just let me know that an Android version is now available. Just installed it and too bad it gives an error that my device resolution is not supported.

From the new box art, I can't tell if it has the same number of pieces as the previous version, but they did lower the age rating from 14+ to 8+ (wow, kids are getting iphones at what age now?).

Edited by badbob001

Hey, the new box art just let me know that an Android version is now available. Just installed it and too bad it gives an error that my device resolution is not supported.

From the new box art, I can't tell if it has the same number of pieces as the previous version, but they did lower the age rating from 14+ to 8+ (wow, kids are getting iphones at what age now?).

Doesn't it say there are two apps now?

Picked up the new box at Target yesterday for $30. Then installed the app on my Galaxy Nexus and it says screen resolution isn't supported. So guess I'll return the game and wait till they update the software. So far, there's no sign of the second game on the Android app store. There's also no indication on the box of the limitations on Android device support - it just says that 2.1+ is required.

Box is smaller than the old one, and has a flap on top so it can hang on a peg, but looks to be the same contents. It's kinda annoying though, because it's got so much text on it and it's all in 3 languages, so it's just overwhelming compared to normal Lego packaging.

I've been follin' around with "Life of George" and "Build ur brain".

And I was wondering if any of you have any experiences with the app?

I've heard that it sometimes crashes after updates (for both iPhone and Android), and I've even had it crash and restart when I took a picture of my build.

Plus someone said they've experienced that the app had trouble seeing the colors, giving you a "wrong" when what you've build is right!

Any of you having similiar experiences or is it all good with you?