L@go

MOC/MOD: Five New Vehicle Designs

indexed.gif V-LV-43A & V-LV-43B, V-LV-43D & V-LV-43E, V-LC-14D

Hello again!

After the four MOCs in February, and the eight additional ones about a month ago, the time has come for another batch of city vehicles from me. I've tinkered around a bit in MLCad, like I normally do, drawing inspiration from different sources, in this case a couple of well-documented ones, as well as building stuff I've just dreamt up myself.

I've uploaded them gradually to Flickr, and you may have seen them pop up there from time to time over the past week or so. But here they are all together, in my usual building style, most of them with hinges for rear-view mirrors and NXT tiles for rear numberplates (where there's room). I hope you'll find them inspiring!

1) The Sean Kenney SUV.

Not really much to say about this one - it's just my own slightly different version of Mr. Kenney's little SUV from his book "Cool Cars and Trucks". There wasn't a green version of this exact model in the book, so I thought I'd see how that looked - and it turned out quite well. I also added a steering wheel, naturally, and changed the rear end a tiny little bit.

6167299423_17877141a2_z.jpg

6167299879_fb39719ccb_z.jpg

I'm really enjoying putting together the minifigs for these vehicles. This one I'm particularly happy with.

2) The Sean Kenney Pickup.

Again, more or less the same design as in the book, but I made room for a minifig inside (that's somehow quite important to me). Also, I was intrigued by the idea of making a medium blue car, and this colour really stands out.

6193336287_cfe072ec5a_z.jpg

6193335919_dbeaa18237_z.jpg

In this case, I tried to make the owner look American - as this kind of car is a huge favourite across the pond.

3) The Streamliner.

Now, the front 2/3 of this next design is pretty much a shameless rip-off of fellow Eurobricker snaillad's Art Deco van, which I fell totally in love with. You can see the original here (on Flickr) or here, in his Modular Art Deco Department Store thread. And yes, I did ask him for permission to post this.

What I wanted to add to the design, though, was an even more streamlined rear end, something like this:

33010010668_large.jpg

I also wanted to change the windscreen and use a split train screen instead, which left didn't leave me with a whole lot of colour options. I ended up with black, and then I wanted a dark colour for the rest of the van, to match it - a dark one, blue, green, or red - and ultimately went with dark red because it was the one with the most available bricks that I needed. This is what came out of it:

6192861985_21e80fb42d_z.jpg

Going with dark red did pose one problem: I needed some 1x1 bricks with stud on one side to attach the rounded SNOT parts to the rear, but they're not available in that colour. So I extended the black from the cabin backwards, which isn't perfect, but works in a way. For the upper attachment, I used a 1x1 brick with studs on four sides, camouflaging the three sides not in used with a) a grille tile, b) an interior light, and c) a 1x1x1 corner panel...

6193379806_1872295958_z.jpg

I'm very happy with the design, and reasonably happy with the colours. And I'm proud of the SNOTwork on that tailgate. It took a bit of thinking to find a solution, but this one works really well and is very sturdy:

6192864847_2276707e6e_z.jpg

4) The Shooting Brake.

This is me on my own again - and it might look pretty strange at first. But the idea was to make a daily driver for Roger the millionaire - you can meet him here - to go with his massive Lime Light steam engine. So, to match the long boiler of the engine, I made the bonnet (hood) very long.

6195097234_d28bfc4fc9_z.jpg

6195095668_fed38ed0b5_z.jpg

The result is a bit unusual, I admit. But hey, that was how Roger wanted it :) I changed the roof colour from lime to black during the transition from MLCad to real bricks to better match the locomotive:

6194578251_cf48973910_z.jpg

5) The Targa(s).

This, I think, is the pièce de résistance of this batch of cars. Obviously, my aim was to recreate the iconic sports cars of a certain German manufacturer, and although the inspiration came from this MOC by AFOLEGODT, it evolved quite a lot from there. I think I've succeeded quite well in my quest to make these Porsche-like, although I did take a bit of artistic liberty. This is probably the one I'm most satisfied with of all the designs I've done so far after my dark ages.

6170056023_57cda1ae6f_z.jpg

6170589524_f43665506a_z.jpg

6170588662_65032e6c08_z.jpg

I'm happy with the drivers here, as well :)

I experimented a while with colour combinations, and regret not building a grey one, maybe with a dark grey center stripe. Time will tell - maybe I'll reserve that colour for a Speedster. Anyway, I also found that this was the perfect place to use BrickForge's new lens pieces.

So there you have it: Another batch of vehicles. I've got some more in the pipeline, some big and some smaller, some inspired by other MOCs, some by real vehicles, and some that don't look like anything I've seen on the road. We'll see if you like them. I hope you've enjoyed the show, and please feel free to comment - it's what makes me better!

More pictures can be found in the Vehicles set in my Flickr.

Edited by Phred

Great job!

I must say that the pickup is absolutely perfect. But I think I like your streamliner most. Nice smooth lines and a great colour combination.

The shooting brake is an absolute monster and personally I think it is a bit too much, but that may just be the idea.

I really like the pickup, nice colour scheme. I am also impressed with the SNOT techniques used on the back of the van to create the curved effect. Never thought of doing anything like that on mine. Is that the 4x4 semi arch piece in black on the tailgate or 3x3? Great work on all vehicles! :classic:

Great job!

I must say that the pickup is absolutely perfect. But I think I like your streamliner most. Nice smooth lines and a great colour combination.

The shooting brake is an absolute monster and personally I think it is a bit too much, but that may just be the idea.

Thanks! Yeah, the lime green monster is definitely a bit over the top, but as you say, I didn't try to show restraint :)

I really like the pickup, nice colour scheme. I am also impressed with the SNOT techniques used on the back of the van to create the curved effect. Never thought of doing anything like that on mine. Is that the 4x4 semi arch piece in black on the tailgate or 3x3? Great work on all vehicles! :classic:

Thanks! The starting point for the van was so good I couldn't really go very wrong, you know... :)

The top part of the tailgate is made up of four of these (part number 6060):

6060.gif

Excellent vehicle designs 'L@go' ! :grin:

The green SUV is great, driven by a overly-too-happy school teacher - the kind that have flings with their students ! :devil:

But the light blue pickup - I :wub: it, best one in this group.

Now our friend streamlined van, neat and clever design to catch the streamlining the best you can in Lego.....no mean feat ! :grin:

The rest are also great designing, though I'm more leaning towards 5/6 wide cars now days. :wink:

Brick On Drive On 'L@go' ! :grin:

Great new collection of 4 studs cars L@go! I like the pick up the best. The proportions on the truck are just right and the medium blue with white trim color combination looks very good. On your streamliner are those dark red 4 x 1 slopes next to the grill area? If so I've never seen that part in dark red. Keep up the good work. :thumbup:

Thanks, guys :)

...are those dark red 4 x 1 slopes next to the grill area?

On snaillad's original, they are 4x1 curved slopes - but as you say, it's not available in dark red. So I had to cheat and use 3x1 slopes with a 1x1 tile :)

Thanks again, guys! I found some more pieces in my mailbox today, so some more cars are on the way :)

Who is faster? sports car or a steam engine?

That would be the sports car, as the speed record for a steam engine is 202.6 km/h. And the Shooting Brake is faster than that. Roger had his favourite mechanic fettle around with it a bit, you see.

All of these look great. The pickup kind of looks like a Chevrolet Colorado.

It does look like a Chevy. But that, I have to say, is Sean Kenney's work.

Those are really nice. I especially like the Streamliner and the Shooting Brake.

I love the Streamliner. The sharp is great and outstanding! good

Thank you both! I'm not really sure what kind of "sharp" you're referring to, but I probably agree :)