Skipper

HMS Reliant

thindexedgif.gif LDD 8C

sternout.png

Overall I'm pretty happy with how she turned out, the sails among other things are not exactly as I would have done in real life, but I can deal with it.

Just over 2300 bricks, maybe the next D2C eh? :pir_laugh2:

Many of the techniques were copied from others, of the top of my head Perfectionist and Admiral Croissant for the deck details and lanterns, and Aalak for the stern. Thanks guys.

LXF HERE

First some overall shots:

sidenoguns.png

frontout.png

The deck details:

steeringwheel.png

ship.png

The stern and figurehead:

stern.png

figurehead.png

Hello!

After re-watching Master and Commander this past weekend, I was inspired to make a frigate. As usual I don't have the needed parts so this is again in LDD.

You will notice one side has not yet been built, this is because I am not yet sure about the line. Any suggestions from the "professionals" on that would be great. :pir-sweet:

On to the pics!

Side:

picture_2.png

This is the curve I was talking about. Thoughts? Top deck isn't built yet.

Overhead:

picture_5.png

This is the ugliest view, there is virtually no horizontal curve. I plan to keep it this way though, it's much simpler to construct, as angles and fiddly bits in LDD well . . .

:pir_bawling::cannon:

Prow:

picture_3.png

Any ideas for a figurehead?

Hope you enjoyed, C&C welcome.

~Skipper :jollyroger:

Edited by Skipper

I really like the curve that you have made. The use of the slanted brown pieces on the bottom of the hull was a very good idea. This project is heading in the right direction :pir-laugh: !

The guns were added on impulse, I won't be building with them there. Broadside's looking pretty dangerous. :jollyroger:

I'm not an expert on ship ratings/classes but I don't think this is a Leda (nominally 38 guns) any more, with a capacity for 48 guns. So what is it?

gunsout.png

Edited by Skipper

Well it looks pretty good so far. My only suggestions for the deck would be lots of brown 6x1 flat plates and a hole in the middle to inside the ship.

Good luck, it would be nice to see this in the flesh!

~Cpt. Tristan

The movie Master and Commander, saw it about 47 times now.

This is the same for all POTC movies, and the most Sharpe episodes.

I like the LDD design you got there already, maybe I looked over it but what makes a frigate a "Leda Class frigate"?

Greetz Bjornu

Skipper, I wouldn’t be too worried about figuring out what class she may or may not be. Classing ships is much more of a modern concern than something of the early 19th century or earlier. “Class” comes out of standardization of ship building, and where as many ships can be so categorized, by the reuse of designs, many more were simply captures from foreign yards, rebuilds or just plain “one-offs”. This is where the rating system comes in to play. By rating a vessel on fire power you can belittle the need to understand her exact characteristics, for general concerns. If your model pleases you as a 48, then what’s to stop you? If it’s historic reverence, or all out accuracy you seek, a quick Google search is a great, free, way to start finding reference material. I personally find the work of other modelers in other mediums, such as wooden models, very helpful. 48 guns is a lot for a frigate, but it’s not unprecedented. At one point, American frigates carried as many as 50. As for the Leda Class, BjornuThis Wiki Articleis tolerably complete, but for more you can also go to the Trincomalee website.

As for this model so far, I find the abrupt rise for and aft distracting. Seems it would be better to make the sections longer, spreading the curvature out more along the length of the hull. As for the dorsal view, you’re limited by those prefab hull sections. Not to beat a dead horse, but if you build from the keel up, you do can much, much more to affect the dynamics of your ship’s hull. I would also suggest doing something very different with the stern gallery. While we’re on the subject of Trincomalee, take a look at her stern for reference. In a digital environment, there is really nothing to hold you back, but your own ambition. Don’t get me wrong, if I didn’t see potential here I wouldn’t comment at all. Keep at it and thanks for sharing!

Also if you like the movie so much I whole heartedly suggest the original books by Patrick O'brien, on which the movie is based. If, like me, you're not much of the reading type, I can tell you that the audio books narrated by Patrick Tull are great! Though it's rumored that O'brian never liked Tull's interpretation I find that he really brings the characters to life. If you have the capability to seek such things out, you can find the files for download, but if not they are of course for sale from any number of book sellers online.

One more thing… Horay for LDD!

This is certainly not a bad model at all. It's awesome. :pir-sweet:

I hope you will switch to real bricks soon; you have the knowledge to build fantastic ships!

I'm really digging the previous picture, not that many details yet but the basic shape is defenitely there!

Keep it up!

I'm not an expert on ship ratings/classes but I don't think this is a Leda (nominally 38 guns) any more, with a capacity for 48 guns. So what is it?

Keep in mind that the Leda class normally carried eight carronades in addition to its 38 long guns, which were not included in the rating but still occupied gun ports.

I noticed that your model has 24 ports on the main deck. It seems like the Leda class had 28, so I don't think that your model is overgunned for a frigate by any means.

May i get LXF-file please? :pir-blush: It looks awesome, way better than my attemps in LDD. I am my self building a Ship of the line at the moment in LDD and used basicly same hull solution as you did. Great work so far, keep it up! :thumbup:

Captain Becker

Thanks everyone! Your comments are a great motivation. :jollyroger:

Just to clarify, I'm not going for total historical accuracy here, I just want my ship to look somewhat realistic. My obsession with ship ratings is due entirely to a desire to compare mine to others in this forum. :pir-tongue: I actually rather like the stern as - is, obviously it needs some ornaments but I thing the shape is pleasing, even if it's not true those of real frigates. I will however change the curve of the gundeck as you suggested Kurigan. I started reading M&C today and am thoroughly enjoying it, I had no idea it was a book series.

Becker, I've uploaded the LXF here, should be public in a couple days. In the meantime here's a pic of the tumblehome technique, as it's probably one of the more complicated parts of the build. Good luck with yours, can't wait to see it!

And Blackmoor, unfortunately I will not be building with the holy ABS any time soon, I'm still schooling and thus can't order bricks whenever I fell like it. :pir_bawling:

Thanks again everyone, enjoy the weekend. :pir-grin:

Edited by Skipper

I started reading M&C today and am thoroughly enjoying it, I had no idea it was a book series.

Thanks for including the close up of that technique. I think that is very interesting and I want to try it out :pir-classic: .

I myself read the Hornblower books, but I have a relative who has read all of the Master and Commander book series. The ships and nationalities are very different in the book compared to the movie.

Finished the other side, and added a figurehead, headrails, removable top deck, and smaller caliber cannons up top.

The structure of the hull part of this MOC is now for the most part finished, just need to embellish the stern.

The gundeck curve is the same, I spent maybe an hour today trying out different variations and this still seemed the best so I copied it to the other side.

Now I just need to decide whether to use TLG or custom masts.

LXF HERE

Side:

6201801455_b50ed39078_b.jpg

Taller by 1 plate.

Hull:

6202314002_5470edde6e_b.jpg

Top Deck:

6201801661_a39894bfd7_b.jpg

Cannons are a spinoff of the ones in the HMS Prince of Wales.

Figurehead:

6201801531_cb696cc314.jpg

Surprise is on our side this time eh?

Broadside!:

6201801409_3975602bd6_b.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

Edited by Skipper

Finished the other side, and added a figurehead, headrails, removable top deck, and smaller caliber cannons up top.

The structure of the hull part of this MOC is now for the most part finished, just need to embellish the stern.

The gundeck curve is the same, I spent maybe an hour today trying out different variations and this still seemed the best so I copied it to the other side.

Now I just need to decide whether to use TLG or custom masts.

LXF HERE

Side:

6201801455_b50ed39078_b.jpg

Taller by 1 plate.

Hull:

6202314002_5470edde6e_b.jpg

Top Deck:

6201801661_a39894bfd7_b.jpg

Cannons are a spinoff of the ones in the HMS Prince of Wales.

Figurehead:

6201801531_cb696cc314.jpg

Surprise is on our side this time eh?

Broadside!:

6201801409_3975602bd6_b.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

Thats awesome. I was always a lego kid, and now that I am adult, I recently realized that I can finally go back and get all those sets and parts I wanted as a kid! I am playing with the LDD as well, but I can't find the pre-fab ship hulls in there anywhere. How do you get those?

I like what you done so far! She looks nice already, but I have a few suggestions to make.

6201801661a39894bfd7b.jpg

I would add the open workspace between the main-mast and fore-mast, also try to make the poop deck smaller - as it is on the original versions...

But so far great work! I like it, I'm looking forward to the details you'll add.

Maidstone speaks Reliant:

As HMS Maidstone glides in to port, she salutes Reliant, still fitting out.

MaidstoneLeda01.png?t=1317929990

Just for fun I downloaded your LFX file and popped her in alongside my own Maidstone. Since you say you desire comparison to others I didn’t think you’d mind. I was always curious how one of my own vessels would compare next one built on prefab hulls, in this style. I’m happy to say the scale and scope are quite similar and it encourages me to feel I’ve done well, since I have not yet witnessed any of these LDD designs of mine in the living plastic, so to speak.

MaidstoneLeda03.png?t=1317930070

I chose to compare Reliant (formerly Leda) to my own Maidstone as their draft and armament are somewhat similar. We both carry 24 cannon on the gun deck and their respective proportions are evident by the images. I rate mine as a 24 gun sixth rate, counting only the 24lb, guns on the gun deck (if 24s are to unbelievably big, then 18s) while the smaller, perhaps 12lb-ers, on the upper deck are intended to have been added after commissioning. How do you like the comparison?

MaidstoneLeda04.png?t=1317930107

As I drafted this I realized, I inadvertently pointed my guns at you, hence the opening line. If at all you had notice I’d rather you take it, not as a sign of aggression, but rather a salute :pir-sweet: I do like what you’ve done with her so far. The update definitely looks much smoother and complete.

MaidstoneLeda02.png?t=1317930032

MaidstoneLeda05.png?t=1317930138

Looks very good :thumbup:

My only small suggestion is to place the capstan to just behind the main mast.

I believe there should be a chimney where you placed it now.

But outside of that small thing it's great. Keep it up!

Thanks everyone! :jollyroger:

I can't find the pre-fab ship hulls in there anywhere. How do you get those?

I just copied them off a BSB in the LDD index, I have no idea how that member got them. You can just get them off of mine if you can't find it, I posted the LXF somewhere in here.

I would add the open workspace between the main-mast and fore-mast . . .

:facepalm: Thanks! I knew I forgot something.

. . . not as a sign of aggression, but rather a salute . . .

That salute's a bit close for comfort eh? :pir-laugh:

Very interesting comparison, I like your ship! I can see what you were saying about improving the shape by brickbuilding a hull. The overall shape of yours is much better, although the slope is a bit pixellated. Fair winds and following seas Maidstone! :pir-classic:

Looks very good :thumbup:

My only small suggestion is to place the capstan to just behind the main mast.

I believe there should be a chimney where you placed it now.

But outside of that small thing it's great. Keep it up!

Thanks for commenting and fixing the title Admiral, I will change the capstan with the next update. Also, as you've probably noticed most of the deck details are inspired by yours and Perfectionist's ships, so a big thank you for those. :pir-sweet:

Nice MOC! I'm currently designing a 44-gun heavy frigate of similar size in LDD.

Thanks! Good luck with yours, looking forward to seeing it. What's her allegiance?

Edited by Skipper

Thanks! Good luck with yours, looking forward to seeing it. What's her allegiance?

Thanks....the allegiance is secret for the moment. I'm creating a whole backstory right now.

Done for my 200th post! :excited:

Check first post for pictures. Tell me what you think. :pir-sweet:

Edited by Skipper

Done for my 200th post! :excited:

Check first post for pictures. Tell me what you think. :pir-sweet:

It looks great! You did a fantastic job! :pir-sweet:

Good to see it finished, but there are some small thinks that you could change.

I always like completely black mastheads. I also believe it was very common for them to be black.

Another thing is the bowsprit. On (almost?) every frigate I've seen, the front bowsprit piece is attached on top of the part closest to the bow (like this).

And finally, on model ships, with sails taken in, the yards are usually lowered.

On your ship, the topsail yards for example, are also lowered.

When they are hauled(?) they reach to the "crow's nest", this is something to consider when you make it under full sail, because then I'm not sure if it can carry 4 sails on each mast.

These are just some suggestions though. The ship is great already and if you call it finished, I can live with this result :pir-classic:

Thanks guys.

Admiral Croissant, I agree with most of your suggestions and I'll fix them ASAP.

However I don't understand the following:

And finally, on model ships, with sails taken in, the yards are usually lowered . . . . When they are hauled(?) they reach to the "crow's nest", this is something to consider when you make it under full sail, because then I'm not sure if it can carry 4 sails on each mast.

So I should lower all of the yards to the nearest crows nest? Then do I have to create another crows nest for the bottom yard, or does that one move up? And does the second - to - bottom one move up or down? And would it be unrealistic to add another crows nest for the top yard?

Sorry to barrage you with questions, but I'm really confused, I had no idea they even moved. :pir-blush:

And just to clarify, I won't be building this IRL any time soon, this will stay an LDD model.

So I should lower all of the yards to the nearest crows nest? Then do I have to create another crows nest for the bottom yard, or does that one move up? And does the second - to - bottom one move up or down? And would it be unrealistic to add another crows nest for the top yard?

Sorry to barrage you with questions, but I'm really confused, I had no idea they even moved. :pir-blush:

And just to clarify, I won't be building this IRL any time soon, this will stay an LDD model.

Ehr.. that's quite hard to explain. I think the best way is to take a close look at some pictures.

Here we have USS consitution, which has royal sails, just like yours, so the yards are on the same place.

On this picture, all the yards (except for the main yards) are lowered.

You can also see that east mast is made up of three parts. Not four.

Now, compare the placement of the yards closely to the placement on this picture. See the difference?

So the topsail yard is hoisted to the second masthead, the mainsail yards remains on the same place, and topgallant and royal yard are hoisted a bit.

First of all congrats on finishing her! By far not every good WIP on this forum ever gets finished :pir_laugh2:

You've given her very good proportions and a flawless colourscheme, so from distance it's a superior ship.

However there isn't much detailing, so looking closely, it all looks a bit simple; no shaping of the hull, only moderate detail on the bow and stern, the gallerys are rectangular, relatively simple mast and yard design, no rigging(!)... and so on.

However you've been stating that this is intentional, so I don't want to nitpick on it too much! Admiral Croissant is right about the lowered yards though.

You could also make full sails from white Lego plates and tiles in LDD; that might loook a bit better.

In representing the basic impression of a 18th century frigate she is doing a very, very decent job though, so I'd say: goal achieved! :pir-sweet:

In case you might be able to build her in real bricks some day; I'd be glad to see her and very sure she'd turn out a lot more detailed, since you apparently got the skills it takes! :thumbup: