L@go

Modular Bank Roof Solution

Hi there!

Quite a while ago, I designed a modular bank in MLCad - like I normally do when constructing new MOCs - and ended up with a product I was quite happy with. Then I ordered the bricks (a lot of them) and built it.

But when I did, I realised I liked all about it... from the top floor down. I'm not sure the roof is right, and this is a problem I seem to run into every time I get to that part of a modular MOC. I usually just let it go, but this time I went back to MLCad and tried a fresh start. The end result this time was quite different - but I just can't decide which one I prefer.

Then I thought: Isn't that what fellow Eurobrickers are for?

So here's the deal: I've built this bank. It's sitting on top of my piano, complete with one of the roof solutions. I'm just not sure if that should be the final design. I've got the bricks for the other one as well - so after I get some input, I'll add the finishing touches and post it to Flickr - and here.

Which design do you prefer?

Option 1:

mlcad_bank_800.jpg

Option 2:

mlcad_bank2_800.jpg

Please let me know what you think!

Option 1 looks more realistic and I agree with what lightningtiger said, option 2 doesn't have a 'city feel'.

I'd go with option 1, with some crenellations around the edge, to keep the castle look. Option 2 looks a bit o.t.t. for me.

I like the concept of option 2 but not the actual design. I really don't like option 1. It makes it look like a barn... The design is overall very cool though. I would explore some more options along the lines of option 2. :thumbup: Great work, overall, though.

What about a combination of option 1 and 2?

I like the green banner portion of option 2. What about the front facade being just like option 2, but the remainder of the back part of the roof like option 1?

I've included a Photoshop of what I pictured in my mind (and described above).

6181887360_c1aca8892f_b.jpg

Locutis

Resistance is futile.

I like the green banner portion of option 2. What about the front facade being just like option 2, but the remainder of the back part of the roof like option 1?

I've included a Photoshop of what I pictured in my mind (and described above).

Locutis

Resistance is futile.

I like this one. I think the bank needs a proper roof, and not just those pointy things all over. The facade should be pointy, then a proper roof, like Loticus' suggestion.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions! I admit that option 1 was the original one, but I definitely agree with gifinim that...

Option 2 looks a bit o.t.t. for me.

The thing is, the exact thing that doesn't work with option 1 is that...

It makes it look like a barn...

But the best solution really appears to be this:

Nice photo editing. I think I'll go with that and see how it looks.

The rest of the building I'm quite satisfied with - especially the interior. I think that's what I do best. So I'm looking forward to finishing this thing and getting to show you what it looks like out of the computer :)

I just thought I'd let you know that I rebuilt the roof of the bank tonight, and it looks much better now that I took Locutis' suggestion into consideration. I'll just have to wait for some proper sunlight to take some nice pics, and I'll share it. Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

I just thought I'd let you know that I rebuilt the roof of the bank tonight, and it looks much better now that I took Locutis' suggestion into consideration. I'll just have to wait for some proper sunlight to take some nice pics, and I'll share it. Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it!

I'm glad you took my suggestion L@go, it's very flattering. :blush:

I can't wait to see the pics. I really liked how you made the center of the building inset between the two outter pillars. I'd love to see other angles of your building, too. Please take lots of pictures!!! :grin:

Locutis